HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Our strength right now is Depth!

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Our strength right now is Depth!

I think the single biggest strength the oil have right now is their depth. Tonight they got scoring from the 1st 2nd and 4th line. Adding Izzy into the lineup really gave that 4th line a dangorous feel to it. I really think tonights lineup is our "best" lineup for this type of run, sure hemsky has talent but he is 20 ib of muscle from being effective.

Keep it up guys!

Old
03-26-2004, 10:00 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I think the single biggest strength the oil have right now is their depth. Tonight they got scoring from the 1st 2nd and 4th line. Adding Izzy into the lineup really gave that 4th line a dangorous feel to it. I really think tonights lineup is our "best" lineup for this type of run, sure hemsky has talent but he is 20 ib of muscle from being effective.

Keep it up guys!
yeah, no longer do we look to that one or two guys to step it up when the going gets tough; we have the whole frickin reserve back there now to tough it out. You know life is good when....

Old
03-26-2004, 10:28 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
yeah, no longer do we look to that one or two guys to step it up when the going gets tough; we have the whole frickin reserve back there now to tough it out. You know life is good when....
.....the guys buffing the PB pine can come in and the level of play stays consistent.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i been saying this to myself since the strat of the year and in some posts

our forward depth is very deep, it might not have that top player (Weight) anymore but when DW was here the oilers had no 2nd line at all
who remembers Cleary Swanson and Reisin (sp?) being the 2nd line i sure do and i am glad those days are over

Old
03-26-2004, 10:45 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Having this depth is great for the stretch drive. No doubt the boys are tired and its good to know that we have some capable people waiting in the press box.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Matts

I was starting to worry about the Nedved line

Torres has given them a spark though. Dvorak, god bless his hustle, has basically zero finish but he is a great setup guy so hopefully Torres or Nedved can snipe and keep that line going.

Smyth is back to carrying the first line.

Oates and Pisani starting to get some chem on the 4th line. I was surprised how much Izzy took to his 4th line duties tonight. Ferraro said that Izzy mentioned in the pre game skate he had to be physical. And tonight he seemed dedicated to slowing things down and grinding on the D and gaining momemtum for the next line.

The line that we need something from now is the Stoll line. Jarrett has looked a bit lackluster lately. all you can expect from a kind but I think we're gonna need those guys. Moreau has flattened out a little but once again he's like Horc in that he was so hot you wondered when the level would kick in.

BG? Well he only scores at home in the 1st or 3rd periods anyway

Old
03-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Torres has given them a spark though. Dvorak, god bless his hustle, has basically zero finish but he is a great setup guy so hopefully Torres or Nedved can snipe and keep that line going.

Smyth is back to carrying the first line.

Oates and Pisani starting to get some chem on the 4th line. I was surprised how much Izzy took to his 4th line duties tonight. Ferraro said that Izzy mentioned in the pre game skate he had to be physical. And tonight he seemed dedicated to slowing things down and grinding on the D and gaining momemtum for the next line.

The line that we need something from now is the Stoll line. Jarrett has looked a bit lackluster lately. all you can expect from a kind but I think we're gonna need those guys. Moreau has flattened out a little but once again he's like Horc in that he was so hot you wondered when the level would kick in.

BG? Well he only scores at home in the 1st or 3rd periods anyway
I really don't expect Moreau or Laraque to score every night, but if they can score every say 3-4 games and Pisani and Isbister score every 3-4 games we should be getting enough offense from The 1st and second line to cary the load. If york was 100% right now I would say that playoff spot would be a lock.

Old
03-27-2004, 07:16 AM
WFHACommish

Quote:
If york was 100% right now I would say that playoff spot would be a lock.
I don't think York is and will be the difference. If he's not in the lineup, we still have a solid team. I still think we need to rely on some other teams to get us in. Even if we win all our games, i think we'll still have some trouble getting in.

Old
03-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Matts

Yeah, same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFHACommish
I don't think York is and will be the difference. If he's not in the lineup, we still have a solid team. I still think we need to rely on some other teams to get us in. Even if we win all our games, i think we'll still have some trouble getting in.
I am as big of a York fan as the next guy and WHEN HEALTHY he's probably our best shot, well before Nedved arrived, of sniping into the top corner when the oppurtunity presents itself.

But York isn't healthy right now and until he shows me that he can score again, I won't believe he can make a great contribution to this run. Granted he wouldn't hurt us playing 10 or less down on the 4th line over say an Izzy or Chimera but on the top two lines mucking up chances from a guy like Smyth?

I just don't see it. I mean the guys fingers are taped together and I don't expect him to be able to score. Those who do are just fooling themselves

Old
03-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Lowetide

I'm always worried about this team not having any pure scorers, but Smyth, Torres and Moreau have 20 or more, and Fernando is just ridiculous. Nedved has always been a favourite of mine, but he's been a Godsend no doubt.

You can see where Dvorak could score 30 in a season where everything goes in, he creates havoc out there with his speed and spririt. But you're right matts, he isn't Brett Hull out there.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:13 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
I am as big of a York fan as the next guy and WHEN HEALTHY he's probably our best shot, well before Nedved arrived, of sniping into the top corner when the oppurtunity presents itself.

But York isn't healthy right now and until he shows me that he can score again, I won't believe he can make a great contribution to this run. Granted he wouldn't hurt us playing 10 or less down on the 4th line over say an Izzy or Chimera but on the top two lines mucking up chances from a guy like Smyth?

I just don't see it. I mean the guys fingers are taped together and I don't expect him to be able to score. Those who do are just fooling themselves
Personally, I couldn't agree more. York is a terrific hockey player WHEN HEALTHY. But it is impossible to be surprised by it ... this coaching staff has a long and unbroken history on this issue.

Madness to me that he replaced Pisani on the Smyth line in his first game back vs CHI ... that line had been outchancing the best lines on the other team for a long while before York came back. They were lucky to not lose the CHI game because of this decision. Same goes for the CGY game, to a lesser extent though IMO.

The S.J and L.A road games were a good fit to put Hemsky on the right flank with Horcoff and Smyth ... as neither team really has a dominant 1st line to battle against, and the Oilers don't have last change anyways. I would rather the Oilers hadn't done that ... but it is good that Hemmer was given a golden opportunity too.

But I think Pisani is really being undervalued. He can play against anybody from the other team and do well ... mostly because when he's on the ice the puck gets in the offensive zone deep a lot, and stays there for a good while when he's playing with Smyth and Horcoff.

I hope Pisani will be back there on Sunday, and that this line will get the matchup with Langkow's line (outscore that line and PHX doesn't have a hope in Hedes of winning the game). But I'm not counting on it. Usually MacTavish does a tremendous job of playing the odds and getting the right players out in the right situations IMO ... but when it comes to injured guys ... not so much. The mind boggles.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:22 AM
igor*

Quote:
I think the single biggest strength the oil have right now is their depth. Tonight they got scoring from the 1st 2nd and 4th line. Adding Izzy into the lineup really gave that 4th line a dangorous feel to it.
Yup, on the forward ranks the Oilers have a lot of very good players now. A lot.

No real superstars, but an excellent group of 5on5 hockey players. And most of these guys are still on the upswing of their careers. With even reasonable health and average goaltending ... this SHOULD be the 2nd best 5on5 team in the league next season IMO ... behind only OTT.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Atlantic

No real superstars on our club, throw them in with the likes of the bottom dwellers right now, they would have a play-off spot at this point in the season, i.e. The Ducks.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:53 PM
Matts

I'm not into astrology

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I'm always worried about this team not having any pure scorers, but Smyth, Torres and Moreau have 20 or more, and Fernando is just ridiculous. Nedved has always been a favourite of mine, but he's been a Godsend no doubt.

You can see where Dvorak could score 30 in a season where everything goes in, he creates havoc out there with his speed and spririt. But you're right matts, he isn't Brett Hull out there.
but something had to be happening that year Dvorak scored 30. I'll admit I liked Carter and it took me a long time to see the merits of that trade. But I've come around and I like the deal. Dvorak has a wicked work ethic, he's one of the fastest skaters in the league and he cares about his own end.

But he has no hands and like I said he's like the old Marchant in that his legs move faster than his mind. He's always flat out and never takes the time to plan a shot. I mean the other night everyone here was on Hemsky about the pass he tried to make prior to the Brew goal but what about Dvorak in the 2nd period when he swept in on Nabakov and one more stride meant he had the open net?

Like I said, I can't see how he scored 30 but I do remember someone here saying he had like oodles of shots that year

Old
03-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Matts

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Personally, I couldn't agree more. York is a terrific hockey player WHEN HEALTHY. But it is impossible to be surprised by it ... this coaching staff has a long and unbroken history on this issue.

Madness to me that he replaced Pisani on the Smyth line in his first game back vs CHI ... that line had been outchancing the best lines on the other team for a long while before York came back. They were lucky to not lose the CHI game because of this decision. Same goes for the CGY game, to a lesser extent though IMO.

The S.J and L.A road games were a good fit to put Hemsky on the right flank with Horcoff and Smyth ... as neither team really has a dominant 1st line to battle against, and the Oilers don't have last change anyways. I would rather the Oilers hadn't done that ... but it is good that Hemmer was given a golden opportunity too.

But I think Pisani is really being undervalued. He can play against anybody from the other team and do well ... mostly because when he's on the ice the puck gets in the offensive zone deep a lot, and stays there for a good while when he's playing with Smyth and Horcoff.

I hope Pisani will be back there on Sunday, and that this line will get the matchup with Langkow's line (outscore that line and PHX doesn't have a hope in Hedes of winning the game). But I'm not counting on it. Usually MacTavish does a tremendous job of playing the odds and getting the right players out in the right situations IMO ... but when it comes to injured guys ... not so much. The mind boggles.

I wondered about your blood pressure last night when York was on the 5-on-3. That's not to say mine wasn't skying either

Though nothing will ever beat the time vs SJ when he came back for one period and had to leave again because his wrist was so sore and in that period of play he, TA DA, also played on a 5-on-3. The Oilers are clueless when it comes to dealing with injured guys. Either they push guys too fast or they don't have the nerve to hold fellows back.

As for Pisani, hard not to love him. He is great in his own end and his forecheck also makes for good defense. How much damage would taht line do if we had a better centre than say Horcoff? Say if York was healthy?

Old
03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

I really wonder if Slats will make any more deals with Lowe, Everytime they make a deal we get a great contibutor and they get our crap.(ie Poti, Carter). I wonder why Slats traded away all his heart and hustle for floaters like those 2?

I Would rather have a guy who works his ass off like Dvorak and produces offence from hard work than a player like carter who floats and rides other players coat tails. I wonder

Closed Thread