HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

This is how you deal with a suspension!!!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2004, 09:31 AM
  #1
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
This is how you deal with a suspension!!!!

I am extremely impressed by the Dallas Stars and their reaction to the incident and subsequent suspension:

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn.com
Stars perfectly aligned on Turco
A tip of our proverbial hat to the Dallas Stars, who handled a recent four-game suspension to star player Marty Turco with class -- something that wasn't in evidence after recent hits in Vancouver and Calgary.



Turco


After Turco got four games for high-sticking an Edmonton player in the face, Stars general manager Doug Armstrong said: "I think that with what's happening and the environment we're in now (vis a vis, the eye of scrutiny on the NHL these days), (the length of term) doesn't surprise me. It was a stick to the face. We accept it and move forward. Hopefully for Marty and the organization, we can use this as a stepping stone. As the games become more important, intensity goes up. We have to use this as a reminder to keep our composure at all costs. Any slipup in the playoffs can cost you a series. We have to avoid this.''


Armstrong also noted that his goalie, arguably his best player, was a "repeat offender" having high-sticked Colorado's Peter Forsberg last season.


"There's an 18-month window (regarding extra scrutiny for repeat offenders) for that," Armstrong said. "He's a second-year starter, and these are good lessons to learn from and grow from. If we don't learn from them and grow from them, than shame on us, not shame on the league.


"Sticks to the head is something the league is trying to get out of its game and we support that. Marty took his stick and hit him (Ryan Smyth) in the face. Marty understands he crossed the line and there's a consequence. If we learn from this as a team and organization that playoffs are approaching and confrontation level will be higher, if we get sucked into retaliatory penalties, it will come back and haunt us at the most inopportune time.''


It should be noted that the league recently warned club officials that inflamatory statements would be met with fines from the league and that could have influenced Armstrong's thinking. But for the record, he acted responsibly and did not issue any denials about Turco's actions. Turco did the same. Officials in Calgary and Vancouver could hardly say the same.
same link as matts, just lower on the page

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 09:37 AM
  #2
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
I liked that as well. He redeemed himself after having played us for fools (after the game, he tried to claim he didn't try to do it).

On another note, this suspension works out nicely for the Stars and Turco. This guy has played a tonne of games (70+ I believe), so a nice little rest should go a long way if the Stars hope to go deep in the playoffs.

H-Bear is online now  
Old
03-27-2004, 09:43 AM
  #3
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
I liked that as well. He redeemed himself after having played us for fools (after the game, he tried to claim he didn't try to do it).

On another note, this suspension works out nicely for the Stars and Turco. This guy has played a tonne of games (70+ I believe), so a nice little rest should go a long way if the Stars hope to go deep in the playoffs.
No, he's still saying he didn't intentionally do it, but he is accepting responsibity for it... and that is the difference. It's like, I didn't mean to, but I did it so it's my fault.

And to be honest, I don't think he was going for Smyth's mouth... I do think he was trying to jab his stick in his upper body (say chest area).

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 10:01 AM
  #4
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
No, he's still saying he didn't intentionally do it, but he is accepting responsibity for it... and that is the difference. It's like, I didn't mean to, but I did it so it's my fault.

And to be honest, I don't think he was going for Smyth's mouth... I do think he was trying to jab his stick in his upper body (say chest area).
Well, it's good he's taking responsibility for his actions. It still doesn't diminish the fact that even if he didn't hit his face (ie: maybe he hit in the upper body), he could have still hurt him pretty badly ... collarbone, forearm, neck, spleen, and stomach are all faily succeptable to that type of swing.

But, I digress and applaud him for not whining about the penalty; it's a breath of fresh air during a time the NHL would rather forget about (and I think the playoffs should do a nice job of that - they are usually hard fought battles, with very few fights, etc).

H-Bear is online now  
Old
03-27-2004, 10:46 AM
  #5
Atlantic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
I wonder just how much time the Dallas organization was spent on Turdco's behalf; lobbying to have his suspension deminshed or not have one at all. These behind the scene's lobbying tactics are used on Campbell all the time. It was reported on TSN, that agents, the Dallas organization, the teams players, and the NHLPA ( of all organizations! )as well, all push to have a light sentence handed down.

Now if it works, hey maybe it was worth the effort. Consindering the act by Turdco was to take Smyth's head of with an axe like swing! I don't care if he was a repeat offender or if the holy Pope himself called on Marty's behalf; he should have received a full suspension for the remainder of the season, as well a few games into the play-offs. If Ryan, just for arguements sake, was hit in the eye, then what? Still only 4 games, nonsense. If for the fact that his injury didn't put him on the I.R. List, it doesn't take away the intent to injure. In this case intent to take ones head-off.

That's my rant on this

Atlantic is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 11:27 AM
  #6
Tanko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Marty Turco is from my hometown in Sault Ste. Marie. I can tell that him and his family are very classy . Sometimes things happen on the ice that are not reflective of what kind of a person the athlete really is.

Tanko is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 11:29 AM
  #7
copperaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
The Rulebook says that Turco should have received a major and game for the attempt to injure with careless use of the stick.What would the score have been if their #1 goalie would have been thrown out?If the Oil miss the playoffs by 1 point it may have decided the season even though the Oil shouldn't be in this position in the first place.

copperaddict is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 11:52 AM
  #8
Atlantic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
Marty Turco is from my hometown in Sault Ste. Marie. I can tell that him and his family are very classy . Sometimes things happen on the ice that are not reflective of what kind of a person the athlete really is.
I'm sorry things just don't happen when a player purposely swings his stick to hit another player. It may not reflect him as "Marty, the husband, father guy", but Marty "the Axe" Turdco, is my new moniker for him! It was a blatant use of his stick at that time. He didn't swing his stick to block a shot and accidently hit Ryan in the head, he didn't fall down on the ice....swung his stick while falling...and hit Ryan, or any other reason that can be used for the excuse of "things just happen".

I'am not bashing the man because he is a Dallas Star player, or he hit an Oiler. I'am bashing him for his recklessness to hurt a player. It was a brutal cheap shot in his state of mind at that time for a retalition to Ryan's light blade tap that "Accidently!", caught him just on the corner of his mask.

Atlantic is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 12:38 PM
  #9
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Yeah given all the recent violence

I'm not surprised he got so many games. I am still pissed though that he didn't get a 5 min major and the gate.

We could've light up Tugnutt

Matts is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 04:47 PM
  #10
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic
IConsindering the act by Turdco was to take Smyth's head of with an axe like swing! I don't care if he was a repeat offender or if the holy Pope himself called on Marty's behalf; he should have received a full suspension for the remainder of the season, as well a few games into the play-offs. If Ryan, just for arguements sake, was hit in the eye, then what? Still only 4 games, nonsense. If for the fact that his injury didn't put him on the I.R. List, it doesn't take away the intent to injure. In this case intent to take ones head-off.

That's my rant on this
A little over-dramatic aren't we?

He didn't two-hand Smyth across the face, so it wasn't an axe like swing. If Smyth had suffered a serious injury, Turco probably would have gotten a longer suspension. But Smyth wasn't badly hurt, and that does factor into the final decision.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 05:56 PM
  #11
Atlantic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
It may sound over the top but don't ho hum it off to the amount of injury Smyth received from it. It is upsetting for any hockey fan to see any of this crap in the game. For a Fan of Turdco's to reply as it being an accident that just happens on the ice is garbage.

Furthermore I don't agree with system that is in place. Campbell can be influenced by special intrest people to alter his decision for the amount of suspensions and fines that are handed down by him.

We are very lucky to have Smyth relatively healthy from that cheap shot. We all know it could have been a heck alolt worse. By the way....

It may not be an actual axe swinging motion to chop wood; but the backhand with the blade of the stick did the job well enough for his intentions.

Atlantic is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 06:07 PM
  #12
Funkymoses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Dude, grow up. Turco's accepting responsibility and moving on. Let it go.

Funkymoses is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 06:19 PM
  #13
Atlantic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Dude Grow up from What? I was merely answering back in a civil manner. No inmaturity in my reply. As for the fact that it was a weak arguement to suggest that things happen for the fact that it is hockey, and the perception people get from a players on ice actions from the sport, calls into question.

Turdco had to suck it up and accept his punishment; what else was he suppose to say?

Atlantic is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 07:55 PM
  #14
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic
It may sound over the top but don't ho hum it off to the amount of injury Smyth received from it. It is upsetting for any hockey fan to see any of this crap in the game. For a Fan of Turdco's to reply as it being an accident that just happens on the ice is garbage.
He was both penalized and suspended. Smyth (from what I recall) didn't miss a shift. As much as you may not like it, the action with the end result are both factored into the suspension. The action was no worse than your garden variety high stick (except it was intentional), and the injury was relatively minor. Of course this isn't something you want to see in hockey, but it was dealt with, and dealt with rather reasonably.

Quote:
Furthermore I don't agree with system that is in place. Campbell can be influenced by special intrest people to alter his decision for the amount of suspensions and fines that are handed down by him.
This has been talked about in all level of sports for years... you can't have a set guideline for suspensions that have to be followed. I mean Bertuzzi might not have gotten the rather long suspension he did if there was a rule stating the min and max penalties for sucker punching someone. Do you really think special interest people had time to launch a case? I mean Turco had his suspension handed to him within 18 hours of the incident. As for fines, the maximum fine that can be handed to a player is $1000. It is in the CBA. Generally if there is a fine, it is the full $1000.

Quote:
We are very lucky to have Smyth relatively healthy from that cheap shot. We all know it could have been a heck alolt worse. By the way....
Yes it could have, but it wasn't. Listen if all you are going to do for suspensions is based on what could have happened a guy who misses will get the same penalty as a guy who takes out 13 teeth and causes 60 stitches. Each incident is different and should be handled that way.

Quote:
It may not be an actual axe swinging motion to chop wood; but the backhand with the blade of the stick did the job well enough for his intentions.
What were his intentions? I mean I hate Turco and the stars as much as the next guy, but he didn't even look at Smyth when he stuck him. He may have intended on hitting him in the arm or the chest.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 07:57 PM
  #15
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic
Turdco had to suck it up and accept his punishment; what else was he suppose to say?
What else?

Do you watch the sports shows or read the newspapers?

This is the first time I have ever heard a player accpeting their punishment. Every other time the player complains (along with the team management and the other players), and doesn't think it is justified.

dawgbone is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.