HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So close to returning...

Old
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
The Devil In I

vCash: 500
So close to returning...

And I can't stand the wait anymore. Last April I blew out my left knee (torn ACL, MCL, + tears to both menisci), and after 7 months of no hockey, I'm about 1 to 2 months away from returning. Now is when it's getting really annoying though, I'm basically fully healthy now, just missing about an inch (circumference wise) of upper leg muscle. Especially with all the hockey I'm watching with the NHL in season, and the weekend D1 games at my school, I'm getting the itch to play.

Anyone with some advice on how to get over the fear of re-injuring once I get back into it? I started some jumping and more advanced excercises at my last therapy visit, but I'm very hesitant to start running. I probably won't do any running until I get my custom fit brace (which I need to get the size back in my leg in order to get). I'm gonna start out just skating by myself (roller hockey player) at the small rink in my schools gym, and over time start playing some light pick up games before getting back into leagues.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Iron

If your doing jumping exercises and stuff I'd say definitely try to jog a little. Even if you just go real slow it will get that first uneasiness of doing stuff like that again out of the way. Make sure your phsyio says its ok though but I don't see why it wouldn't be by the sounds of it.

I honestly don't know how you get over the fear of reinjuring it other than getting back and feeling stabelness in the knee and realizing its not giving out on you. I'm 2 years post surgery and almost 3 years post my torn ACl and I sometimes still have that hesitation and fear of reinjuring it.

I know that itch your feeling to get back, keep working hard on building up the muscle and you'll be back in no time! The feeling you get when you play your first game again will be awesome!

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
MikeD

Pain is an amazing teacher. The subconscious mind can be hard to convince that you are recovered. You also gain an inherent fear of reinjury.

Once your cleared by your doctor:

once your given clearance to play, make a conscious effort to tell yourself that you are fully recovered. Make a conscious note of the fact that your playing pain free.

During your work outs talk to yourself, outloud or in your mind(up to you). You will need to convince your subconscious mind.

Evenings before bed, use PMR (progressive muscle relaxation) to prep for visualization. In the minds eye visualize yourself (first or third person) performing the skills of your position at full speed. Note to yourself that these are pain free and your 100%.

this will help you regain your skill level and more as well as hopefully lose any major fear of reinjury. I am not sure that after such an extensive injury, that one can fully lose that fear nut you should be able to bring it to a very minimal level.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 07:48 PM
jman66

i'm actually a physiotherapist myself and have a great interest in sports injuries.

At this point in your rehab you should have a good amount of strength back in the leg. You should also be workng on stabilization exercises. One of my favourite is getting the patient on foam or pillows and just starting with the eyes closed (you don't realize until you do this with an injured leg how much you rely on vision for stability). Once you get confident in being able to do this for 5 minutes start by adding squats on the foam/pillow with eyes closed -- then one legged squats.After this point you can get creative. Get yourself off the pillow, do sidesteps and grapevines (they simulate the skate stride on dryland) and then pick up your tempo. These will be better for you than running because you don't put your legs back and forth for skating, you go more to the side.

Your therapist should be progressing these into your treatments, and if not they are great exercises to gain that trust again. Build yourself up to what you need to do and then start to do it at a higher pace. Otherwise just get yourself back on the ice, that is goin to be your very best exercise, start slow and work on stops/starts, stick handling, etc. and then add in the speed. You're quite young, you will heal much better than you will in 10 years time.

jman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 11:25 PM
The Devil In I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman66 View Post
i'm actually a physiotherapist myself and have a great interest in sports injuries.

At this point in your rehab you should have a good amount of strength back in the leg. You should also be workng on stabilization exercises. One of my favourite is getting the patient on foam or pillows and just starting with the eyes closed (you don't realize until you do this with an injured leg how much you rely on vision for stability). Once you get confident in being able to do this for 5 minutes start by adding squats on the foam/pillow with eyes closed -- then one legged squats.After this point you can get creative. Get yourself off the pillow, do sidesteps and grapevines (they simulate the skate stride on dryland) and then pick up your tempo. These will be better for you than running because you don't put your legs back and forth for skating, you go more to the side.

Your therapist should be progressing these into your treatments, and if not they are great exercises to gain that trust again. Build yourself up to what you need to do and then start to do it at a higher pace. Otherwise just get yourself back on the ice, that is goin to be your very best exercise, start slow and work on stops/starts, stick handling, etc. and then add in the speed. You're quite young, you will heal much better than you will in 10 years time.
Sorry it's been a busy couple days with exams, internship interviews, and other crap.

Yea I've been doing a lot of balance stuff for the past few months. I borrowed an Indo Board from a relative and have been practicing balance while stick handling a ball around since probably about 6-8 weeks after the surgery (I'm 17 weeks post-op today). I had to look up grapevines to find out what they were, turns out I've done them before for hockey training...but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable doing them yet though.

They have me doing double leg squats while standing on the flat side of a BOSU, and doing lunges off of the ball side. My last couple visits they've had me do 1 leg squats while leaning up against a balance ball pressed up to a wall, as well as jumping exercises on this machine that you lie flat on your back on.I'm definitely gonna take the skating slow to start once I get the brace. Right now I'm mostly missing muscle in, what I think is called, the VMO area...which I think is what I need most before getting the brace measured. I probably won't play a game until I've been skating for a month. Thanks for the advice.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote