HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #40

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 04:06 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #40

Once again sorry the delay guys, sometimes that lil thing called having a life gets in the way of the really important stuff

Anyway.......Pretty decent game from our boys tonight, although we really shoulda whupped LA and didn't. A tad bit alarming, because there were alot of chances that should've been finished and weren't, which we'll need later on, but it's okay tonight. Solid effort all game long, gettin the job done.

Player Reports
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

Ty Conklin
-Slightly gutsy move comin back with him tonight, but paid off. VERY solid and if not for another coaching decision that was an utter JOKE, he woulda blanked the Kings tonight. Brewer coulda set him up for the 4-1 goal, but didn't, too bad, it'd be great and funny at the same time for Ty to score. A huge fight and a goal in the same year, he'd never forget it. Proving he's alot more than a competent backup. The tools are there.

Bergeron-Ulanov
-Played another very solid game tonight. Bergeron was excellent all game long, and really got hosed in the stats department. Plenty of good outlet passes and lots of fiestiness. Well done. Igor was pretty much just Igor. Solid D, a couple nice shots, gets the job done.

Staios-OldAndSlow
-Stevey still looks pretty tired, but considering he essentially had to defend his entire own zone tonight, as well as keep the puck in along the entire opposition blue line, he did alright. It'd be nice if we could give him a rest, but I don't see it happening. OAS was at his sickingly bad best tonight. BAD, LAZY pinches, cost our goalie the SO and hung -1 on a bunch of players with his disgusting giveaway because he has ZERO puck patience or skill, lollygagged around the defensive zone and blew nearly all his coverages. To top it off, he got POPPED by JEFF FREAKING COWAN!!! Are you kidding me?!?! WHY IN THE BLUE HELL is this guy playing instead of Alex??? MacTavish is lucky no defencemen went down tonight.

Smith-Brewer
-Best game from these two in quite a while. Smith was a little meaner and better on the puck, while Brew played alot more like the guy we need him to be. Didn't bobble the puck as much tonight. Simple game really from them, but effective.

Isbister-Oates-Pisani
-Chad didn't get much done. He has such a hard time getting going and it's really aggrivating. Refuses to make power moves even when he has the most obvious chances, and won't use his EXCELLENT shot either. He's an OKAY 4th line checker right now. Adam Oates actually impressed me tonight. For a change he made a very 'Oates' play in setting up Fernando, and was actually fairly good in his positioning and puck pursuit. Bout time. Fernando the sniper has returned. Pisani played quite a nice little game tonight, gettin the job done when he had the chance and providing quality minutes. The PERFECT 4th line forward on an excellent team....now if only we had the other positions filled so perfectly......

York-Horcoff-Smyth
-Mike York probably shouldn't be in the lineup. Tonight he was ineffective, slow, can't shoot the puck so he blew two gimme goals, and just didn't look with it at all. It's like Matts said, even if he's in, why is he getting the ice time he is? That Pisani-Horcoff-Smyth line is a perfect 3rd line anyway and should be left in tact and used as such. That said, Shawn Horcoff is back in the tank in a BAD way. Looked like he had no clue at all tonight, and showed off the main flaw in his skating pretty much all night. Good on the dot, but other than that BLECH! It's SERIOUSLY not a hand-grenade Shawn! Smyth would've popped one or two more if Horcoff would've read the play correctly. Ryan Smyth was certainly not the first star. He capitalized on a HORRID giveaway which is always good, and made alot of turnovers happen, but he had a pretty medium performance on his standards.

Laraque-Stoll-Moreau
-Georges was pretty decent tonight. His nice power moves were on display a couple of times, and he really shoulda scored at least one. I still want him on my 4th line, but he is indeed contributing. Jarret rebounded from one of his lesser games quite well, providing the immensely solid for his years play we've come to expect this year. Ethan has cooled off a bit, and REALLY needed to bury that breakaway, but still showed alot of effort, not one of his best, but a decent performance.

Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
-Raffi played a pretty decent game tonight, but his tendencies are really starting to show playing on such a good line. Away from the puck, he's quite a good hockey player, but if he is forced to carry it up the ice or control it in the offensive zone, he's in a bit of trouble. Made a very nice move tonight and also shoulda scored, but didn't. He needs to be the winger that flies down the boards and takes passes, just doesn't quite make the grade for the number 1 line we want this to be. Radek wasn't too amazing I thought tonight, they may have even been resting him, but a solid game. Petr rebounded tonight when we needed him badly, and popped #300 on a beauty off the bottle, attaway Petr.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FREE HEMSKY!

Scott Ferguson should never wear an Oilers jersey in a regular season game. It's just SAD. Bob Beers was probably better than this guy, and we've got him in AHEAD OF ALEX SEMENOV?!?! Who are you kidding MacTavish?

Ty can be a starter.........but I think Jussi can be too. Our "weakness" will become our strength, just watch.

MAB makes such a big difference to this team, and I can't believe how few noticed it's coming. Completely different dimension. Again, I'll say it, THE GOODS. He's got em. If developed properly, he will become a WEAPON out there for years to come. And once you have the opposition fearing defencemen, your forwards get to take advantage.

Without Igor, we're nowhere near here.

Petr Nedved must HATE water bottles, he keeps knockin em down

The blue car broke my heart again.

Glasses can be very nice

WILL Georges Laraque EVER score in the other end of the rink?

WILL Georges Laraque EVER break the glass and crush 3 spectators?

Deb from the Score finally reported on an Edmonton game again.........somehow I knew.......that's pretty creepy.

The building felt really numb tonight, people are over the jubilation and have become very serious, of course that's probably thanks to the OUTRIGHT STUPIDITY of a 6 o'clock game.

Chanting ROMAN! is pretty lame. It worked with Belfour, why can't ya leave it? What are ya gonna do when the guy's name can't properly be chanted? Start in with GOA-LIE! GOA-LIE! GOA-LIE!...........

Doing the wave before the 3rd period is like HEXING THE TEAM. The Dallas game proved that, some morons started it in the 2nd and WE LOST. Today, in the third, with the lead, we win.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, 1 regular season home game left...........startin to feel misty-eyed already

Here's to putting up NINE, that's right, NINE on Sunday. Lets end the regular season home sked with a BANG! Get the train rollin on into STL.

Loudly screaming for 7th......LMHF#1 OUT!

Old
03-27-2004, 04:17 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

ADDITIONAL:

MY Three Stars:

1. Petr Nedved
2. Ty Conklin
3. Fernando Pisani
4. The guy who yelled for Ferguson to get his Old Slow [rear] back to the press box where it belongs......Oh wait, that was me......and there's no 4th star.....

Old
03-27-2004, 12:45 PM
GorillazXL

Once again, nice game report... But don't be late again You're not allowed to have a life.

I agree with most of your observations (as always) but Izzy was playing a pretty good game, he had his chances but just couldn't put the puck away. I thought the Nedved line, though dagerous at time, played a quiet game. Torres seems to be trying fancy moves like the rest of his linemates. When York gets back to health I wouldn't mind seeing him at center, and getting Hemsky back in. The line up would look like this:

Torres - Nedved - Dvorak
Smyth - Horcoff - Pisani
Isbister - York - Hemsky
Moreau - Stoll - Laraque

It is beyond me why MacT took Semenov out of the line up in the first place, and it is beyond me why he isn't playing him. I know these games are important, but what better way to get Semenov experience that MacT wants from his players. Semenov could do no worse then Ferguson on any given night. At this point in the season, Staios could use a game rest, he looks really worn out... need him for the playoffs.

GXL

Old
03-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Walsher

So it was a gutsy move that paid off to start Conklin = good coaching move. But because he played Ferguson in stead of Cross and he made a mistake = terrible coaching. Hmmm. I agree Semenov seems like a better choice, but the MacT criticism is getting a little old. I mean he has single handedly sent this team on a 15 game point streak and has his team back in the playoffs. To me that is pretty impressive coaching is it not? (Apparently he was the reason the team was aweful earlier, so I am just saying he is the reason they are excelling now)

Old
03-27-2004, 01:49 PM
Mr Sakich

I think the reason that York is playing is because he needs to get to get into game shape before the playoffs. As long as he is not hurting us, I am ok with him playing. Mike is smart enough that he can contribute without scoring goals or hitting.

We need a semi-healthy York if we are to have any success in the post season. He is our best player.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I think the reason that York is playing is because he needs to get to get into game shape before the playoffs. As long as he is not hurting us, I am ok with him playing. Mike is smart enough that he can contribute without scoring goals or hitting.

We need a semi-healthy York if we are to have any success in the post season. He is our best player.
I agree. York was excellent last night, and him at 60% is better than the majority of players at 100%. He is the best player Edmonton has, the most consistent, and the player with the most hockey sense. He finds a way to contribute even through injury and once healthy, much more depth for the club.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:25 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
So it was a gutsy move that paid off to start Conklin = good coaching move. But because he played Ferguson in stead of Cross and he made a mistake = terrible coaching. Hmmm. I agree Semenov seems like a better choice, but the MacT criticism is getting a little old. I mean he has single handedly sent this team on a 15 game point streak and has his team back in the playoffs. To me that is pretty impressive coaching is it not? (Apparently he was the reason the team was aweful earlier, so I am just saying he is the reason they are excelling now)
Whoever brought Bergeron back from the RR and Nedved and Jussi from New York (Lowe) deserves at least as much credit as MacT.

Old
03-27-2004, 05:47 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Whoever brought Bergeron back from the RR and Nedved and Jussi from New York (Lowe) deserves at least as much credit as MacT.
Who allowed serious roster holes to develop in the first place?

Old
03-27-2004, 06:01 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
WILL Georges Laraque EVER break the glass and crush 3 spectators?

hell that would be SO hilarious! Oilers rink preparers make sure you're reading this

Old
03-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
I agree - but my post is aimed towards people who continue to bash MacT even though he has done an excellent job all year, including now.

Old
03-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Blatherblah

Andy Murray had a great post-game quotation on Smyth:

"This time of the year? Ryan Smyth has the flu and he's going to miss the game? Are you kidding me? I never had him off my (lineup) board.''

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam040327/nhl_edm_la2-sun.html

Old
03-28-2004, 03:58 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
If you look at the reasons for failure, vs. the reasons for success, that certainly isn't the case. The argument just does work Walsh. It'd work if I didn't have the reasons I've mentioned for blaming MacTavish earlier and not crediting him now, mainly the aspect of getting outcoached vs actually outcoaching the opposition and how this comes about vs. the players basically taking over, but that's a long detailed discussion for another time, and frankly I was already proven right on it earlier this year and would rather not break into it again.

I acknowledged both coaching moves, I thought people would appreciate that. The simple act of playing Scott Ferguson, the outright stupidity of it, warrants special consideration. It took every fibre of my will power not to go on a 15 page rant when the guy was played at forward.

Coaches can't win many games, What coaches can do alot more frequently however is inhibit players and manage a game in an inferior fashion.

It might not be fair, but it's the truth.

Closed Thread