HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edge, Park, a question

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2004, 09:51 PM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
Knowing Sather he'll do something sketchy and perhaps illegal if caught, like wait until after the deadline, sign RJ, and get the compensatory 2nd round pick.
RJ is definitley worth signing. He will develop into a top 2 line forward.

Old
03-28-2004, 04:29 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
so what you are saying is we should overpay for umberger and not worry about salary cap problems in the future because he is young and hasn't proven anything but its wrong for the rangers to pay jagr 6 million a year and he is proving he is still the most dangerous player in hockey. hmmm i think if sather signed umberger in one day after the trade and overpayed for him you would have complained. i understand you don't like the guy but he can't just hand out money to umberger.
1. Signing Umberger to a 2 year $1.2m contract IS NOT THE SAME as paying Jagr's $6m ($11 against the cap). A rebuilding team making moves for the future can take on a relatively low contract against the cap in a guy who has the possibility of being a top 2 line talent for a long time, over a big contract that is bigger against any cap or luxury tax on a guy who, while still VERY GOOD, but on the downside of his career.
2. If I am for signing Umberger, how could I possibly be against signing him immediately?
3. Where did you get the idea that I don't like him? When motivated, Jagr can still be one of the top players in the league. No doubt he could be a very, very good player for another 2-3 years. However, given this $$$ & his injury history, he is not what a rebuilding team usually has on the top lines. He does not address the most glaring need, namely defense. He does not now and he did not at the time of the trade.

Closed Thread