HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Help

Old
11-09-2007, 10:27 PM
SSM12

vCash: 500
I have a p92 on my one70 and it is awesome....for me. Matches my semin pro stock

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
kac1

I have been practicing a lot with my one piece bauer lindros curve and seem to be getting a lot better with it (especially receiving passes). I think I am going to stick with the one piece instead of a shaft and blades. I noticed that hockeymonkey has some closeout one piece sticks and was wondering if any of the following were any good..

Mission Pulse - $100
Mission Hex-1 - $90
Bauer Vapor xx max stick'um - $90

What curve in the Mission is close to the Lindros in Bauer?

kac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 03:26 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

You'll want Missions' Leopold 2/Hossa pattern. The blade on the Pulse is excellent. Mission's sticks are vastly underrated and you're getting a good stick for $100

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Only too bad your getting ripped on those prices.....all those have been on closeouts for a while and were going for less than what you listed.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
kac1

Ive seen prices lower for those sticks in senior. I need an intermediate. I don't know what else to get thats a cheaper closeout that is a good one piece stick.

Old
11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
lotus

I see people using the Synergy 300 all the time and they all love it.
http://hockeymonkey.com/easton-hksynergy300int.html

I've never, ever, been disappointed in an Easton stick, and am totally in love with the Sakic pattern. (It took a little adjusting to when I changed to it for my slap shots, but I now put them on goal hard and low every time). It also makes it really really easy to pick corners. Everything will come in time with a Sakic curve if you choose it, but be patient. It can be deceptive when stickhandling (for me at least). But it is great for shooting, and I don't seem to have my slap shot suffering at all. I do need to roll the wrists over quite a bit when I take one though, otherwise the sucker is going head high.

Also (sorry if it's been mentioned) the Easton Stealth and Synergy SL are on clearance at a bit more expensive. (Stealth only in Gaborik which is an insane curve, and I advise away from it. But someone else may be interested so there's the link =P)

http://hockeymonkey.com/easton-stealthgrip04.html
http://hockeymonkey.com/easton-synergysl65.html

These are all very high rated sticks, but the SL has a rep of breaking often. I wouldn't pass up a look at the Synergy 300.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 07:19 PM
kac1

Thanks for the help. I was thinking about spending the extra money and going with a SL but I read they break really easily like you said. I did kind of want to stay with the Bauer line as I really like the Lindros curve. What's a good Bauer stick that isn't to expensive? I only play in pick up games and in a novice league so I don't need a top of the line stick.

Old
11-14-2007, 07:19 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Get a 300/350 if you don't mind heavy and awkward feeling sticks 300/350s feel ok, but they are a tad heavy, not worth $80. Rather take your $80 and get a TPS Response that's on sale in whip flex if you really don't wanna go the shaft/blade route(personally it's the best deal if you ask me).

If your playing in a novice league, who really cares about the durability of the stick. It's not like your going to be out there getting hacked and checked a ton so it shouldn't be that big of an issue. And generally good and cheap don't go hand in hand. You really get what you pay for in terms of performance...and if your still deciding on what you want now, I just say go and get yourself some wood sticks!

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 07:25 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac1 View Post
Thanks for the help. I was thinking about spending the extra money and going with a SL but I read they break really easily like you said. I did kind of want to stay with the Bauer line as I really like the Lindros curve. What's a good Bauer stick that isn't to expensive? I only play in pick up games and in a novice league so I don't need a top of the line stick.
Vapor V or Vapor VIII are both pretty good sticks, the Vapor V is on clearance at hockey monkey for 50$, not sure on pattern availability though.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
I have been practicing a lot with my one piece bauer lindros curve and seem to be getting a lot better with it (especially receiving passes). I think I am going to stick with the one piece instead of a shaft and blades. I noticed that hockeymonkey has some closeout one piece sticks and was wondering if any of the following were any good..

Mission Pulse - $100
Mission Hex-1 - $90
Bauer Vapor xx max stick'um - $90

What curve in the Mission is close to the Lindros in Bauer?
Get the Pulse. But keep searching, I bought one a couple months ago for $80... It's well worth more than $100 but better deals might be found.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
lotus

I hear that TPS and Mission are realllllly under rated sticks so if you find one you can afford and in a curve you like, it may be worth a shot. If it's your first composite I doubt you will be disappointed with it.

I've been meaning to try a TPS whip flex stick for a while but I just love my Synergy ST so much.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been LOVING my Mission L-2, best stick I've ever used, just perfect for me. I'll definitely be giving Mission more looks in the future.

I personally have found TPS to be okay, had one shaft that was durable but got too whippy, one shaft that was whippy but kind of had a weak shot, and another that snapped the second time I used it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 09:24 AM
kac1

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
You'll want Missions' Leopold 2/Hossa pattern. The blade on the Pulse is excellent. Mission's sticks are vastly underrated and you're getting a good stick for $100
That pattern seems a lot different than a Lindros in Bauer.

Old
11-15-2007, 09:47 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post

If your playing in a novice league, who really cares about the durability of the stick. It's not like your going to be out there getting hacked and checked a ton so it shouldn't be that big of an issue. And generally good and cheap don't go hand in hand. You really get what you pay for in terms of performance...and if your still deciding on what you want now, I just say go and get yourself some wood sticks!
Some great advice right there. Especially the part about how good and cheap don't go hand in hand.

If you want to make an investment in a stick and don't want to go with a shaft/blade combo. Put your money into a top end wood stick. Work out your curve, lie and flex then go out and find a OPS that suites your needs. Closeout sticks are great deals, but you never know how long they will be around.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
That pattern seems a lot different than a Lindros in Bauer.
It's the closest to the Lindros from Mission. That pattern is almost an Iginla. You might like the Rafalski, it's inbetween the Lindros and the p92.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:02 PM
kac1

Have any of you used the new Nike Bauer Vapor XXV stick yet?

Old
11-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Dangler87

Well I am 18 years old and for the first 16 years of my hockey life, I have been using a Sakic Curve. I really like the curve a lot. But last Christmas I received a Sherwood Momentum with a Coffey curve. That damn curve was like a fricken banana. I had no back hand shot with the curve at all. I mean, with my forehand, it was very easy to get the puck up in the air, but as mentioned before, the aiming wasn't that good, and my back hand sucked. Since I wasn't "feeling" the Coffey curve, my coach gave me a free stick, which was Scatchard's Synergy, but with a different blade on it. I'll get back to you on the type of blade it is. Well, whatever type of blade it is, it has been working great for me for the past year.

Dangler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Dangler87

I have a Kaberle blade and it is fantastic. I'm able to aim the puck where I want, stick handle well, control the puck, and my back hand is much more accurate. I suggest you try it out.

Dangler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 01:26 PM
guapo23

Stick advice

Hi !

I just changed my blade.

My new blade has a much bigger curve - great for toe-drag dekes, awful for backhands. What is a good curve that will is in the middle ground ?
My backhand was one of my main scoring weapons !
But I like using the toe-drag dekes too !

As for my stick, I have a Louisville Redlight.
It is the second Louisvilel Redlight I bought.
My old one was way less stiff & the flex gave me a way harder wrist shot.
I could score on the rush from the top of the circle.

With my new stick, my wrist shot is kinda wobbly.
It gives some goalies problems because it is slow - it often dips like a baseball pitch.
But I would much prefer having a hard wrist shot again.

Any tips on improving my shot with my existing stick ?
Is tehre a way to make my current stick more flexible ?

Any suggestions on what flex I should use if I buy a new stick ?
I am 5'9, 145 pounds so I'm pretty small...

Last edited by guapo23: 11-22-2007 at 01:43 PM.
guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote