HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why don't kids and teenagers use neck guards anymore?

Old
11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Dangler87

vCash: 500
Why don't kids and teenagers use neck guards anymore?

I am puzzled by the fact that the majority of kids (usually 10-up) and teenagers don't use neck guards anymore. If anything, I think that they should use neck guards as they get older, because the hockey and style of play gets much more fast and physical. Any type of injury can happen out on the ice, and for me, I really think that it is important for neck guards to go back into being used more, because it's much safer, and reduces the risks of neck injuries or death.

Dangler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 04:42 PM
droller*

neck guards are manditory in minor hockey all throughout canada...

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Steelhead16

My kid is a bantam and in his league the kids have to wear them. He'll play high school next year and I don't think they have to wear them then.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
MikeD

USA Hockey does not mandate them. There is a question about how/what standards would be applied should they be mandated. WNYAHL (western NY) mandates neck guards for all players. However, it is my understanding that goalies are not included in this.

Personally, I do not see how any Head Coach would not make them mandatory for his players. Cost is insignificant and the risk of going with out is very significant. My youngest son, as a squirt, had a player drop and slide into him, skate lifted. The skate blade came directly into his neck and he was driven into the post. The impact was enough to spin him and the net (not anchored) around and into the end board. Thank the stars, he was wearing a maltese slash guard and was uninjured.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
My kid is a bantam and in his league the kids have to wear them. He'll play high school next year and I don't think they have to wear them then.
For my high school league a lot of things are mandatory but go unchecked.

I wear mine all the time but it's a pretty annoying thing to wear, no matter how loose I try and get it, it's still tight/uncomfortable.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Some goalies in my league don't even wear them....

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Stripes

As mentioned, BNQ approved neck guards are mandated by Hockey Canada in minor hockey. Junior leagues have the option. The only junior league I know that mandates neck guards is the QMJHL.

They also must be worn properly. Linesmen are supposed to check during warmup for minor hockey games, but some players are good at making it look like they are wearing one by wearing a turtleneck, or some simply take it off after warmup.

If you're caught playing without one, a minor penalty is automatic. (If it falls off during play, you must leave the ice immediately or else get a minor penalty.)

Some players also tape their neck guards so they fit smaller. If a player is caught playing with a neck guard being worn improperly (which is what taping the neck guard does), the penalty is an automatic 10-minute misconduct.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 11:45 PM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler87 View Post
I am puzzled by the fact that the majority of kids (usually 10-up) and teenagers don't use neck guards anymore. If anything, I think that they should use neck guards as they get older, because the hockey and style of play gets much more fast and physical. Any type of injury can happen out on the ice, and for me, I really think that it is important for neck guards to go back into being used more, because it's much safer, and reduces the risks of neck injuries or death.
I agree with droller and Stripes, all players here wear them. They don't neccesarily wear the thick foamy ones that are a seperate piece of equipment, though - lots of guys are wearing the type that are part of their undershirt (our boys wear ones made by ITech and Jock Plus) and they look kind of like a turtleneck so you can't tell they have a neck guard at all. These are made with Kevlar, so offer excellent protection from being slashed by a blade, which is the purpose of the neck guard in the first place.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:13 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

I think neck protection for goalies in all leagues should be mandatory.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:35 AM
MerryJ99

This is why they should be worn by everyone!! (warning this is not for the faint of heart.) Malarchuck injury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk3ceQaAgvg

Last edited by MerryJ99: 11-16-2007 at 10:25 PM.
MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
Correct, but not in the US. In the US mouthguards are mandatory, in Canada they're not.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Hockeymom67

I have 4 boys that play hockey in the minors in Canada and it is mandatory.As a hockey manager, coach and parent ,I make it a must to check before they get on the ice .I see kids often without one and tell them to get off the ice and go borrow one from the pro shop.If something where to happen and I didn't say anything ,I 'd feel terrible

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 07:26 AM
speedway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Correct, but not in the US. In the US mouthguards are mandatory, in Canada they're not.
They are now mandatory, at least in Quebec. Even for goaltenders.

speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Cujo31

Trainers in Canada should be checking for mouth & neck guards before kids get on ice, including practises which no refs are overseeing checks.

Neck guards are hot, I wear mine in beer league play but they do make me sweat/uncomfortable. Any adults using type built into undershirt here-wondering if its more comfortable?

I know....lose the beer gut would help.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I remember when they made those mandatory when I was a kid, hated it. Hot, scratchy, didn't fit, really uncomfortable.

Probably the one piece of gear as an adult I'll never wear.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Dangler87

Well, the thing with goalies, is that most goalies, unless, they do not care about being protected, wear the plastic piece that straps or is tied right underneath the helmet, so it protects the throat. Goalies, have to stop incredibly fast shots, but don't really have to worry about getting a blade to the neck as much as forwards or defensemen have too.

Right now, I am a high school senior playing at the Division 1A Level, and have been asked to play Juniors, but am saving that for after high school. For all 4 years of my high school career, my coach has said that neck guards are for "pu**ies". It is always my biggest worry is that by accident a players blade goes right into the neck of another player. It can happen any time. It can happen from getting checked hard and falling down on another player, and it ESPECIALLY can happen after winning an important game, or championship game. Last year, a nearby team won their league state championship, and one of their offense jumped into the heap of bodies celebrating and got both his forearms sliced open. He had to get rushed to the hospital immediately. As horrible as that is, thank God that he didn't get a blade to the throat. That must have put a downer on the celebration.

Old
11-16-2007, 02:39 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
Mouthguards became mandatory here about 3 years ago....I assumed it was the same across Canada.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Nosebleed Section

Yeah sure it's a crying shame when someone gets their neck sliced open by a skate but there uncomfortable as hell. There are so many things that can go wrong in hockey so honestly getting my neck sliced is the least of my worries. But I guess it's not a bad idea to wear it's just impractical.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 05:11 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler87 View Post
Well, the thing with goalies, is that most goalies, unless, they do not care about being protected, wear the plastic piece that straps or is tied right underneath the helmet, so it protects the throat. Goalies, have to stop incredibly fast shots, but don't really have to worry about getting a blade to the neck as much as forwards or defensemen have too.
You didn't watch the video did you?

I personally wear mine some times. I keep it in the bag for games where I know it'll be a bit more rough and tumble and the odds of me winding up in some pile up are higher. I modified it a bit though and ripped out the padding in it so it's just the cut resistant nylon I'm wearing. Makes it feel less funny, itchy, sratchy, w/e.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 09:13 PM
XweekendwarriorX

a neck guard is about the most uncomfortable thing to ever wear besides a wool sweater. i hated every second wearing one and i never had a problem with not wearing one in high school and juniors.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Dangler87

No, I did not watch the video, because I must have skimmed right through that post. I will watch it, but seeing a lot of blood gets me queezy, so hopefully I don't pass out.

Old
11-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
a neck guard is about the most uncomfortable thing to ever wear besides a wool sweater. i hated every second wearing one and i never had a problem with not wearing one in high school and juniors.
Would you rather have your jugular sliced?

As for mouthguards, they are required for junior hockey in Canada. They also must be coloured so the referee can tell you have one on the ice.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Dangler87

Yeah, mouth guards in the U.S (I don't live in Canada, so I'm not sure), are required in most (I'm pretty sure all) high school hockey teams in the United States. I guess wearing mouth guards is less embarrassing for the player because it is small and goes inside your mouth, so not every fan can see it. But, lately these days, even in hockey, it's about fitting in and looks. Try to look as professional as you can, and I guess that doesn't mean wearing a supposedly "goofy, childish, embarrassing" neck guard. But hey, I would much rather be safe and look foolish (which I don't think they look foolish at all) then be severely injured or dead.

Old
11-17-2007, 09:37 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo31 View Post
....Any adults using type built into undershirt here-wondering if its more comfortable?.....
Our seventeen year-old really likes his - not nearly as hot as his old one. Our younger guy likes his, too - used to grumble every time he had to put on his old guard, now, not a problem at all.

I also like that they are easy to wash and they dry much quicker, too.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote