HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Renney's Time Division

Old
11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
dccuse

vCash: 500
Renney's Time Division

Some interesting things i've noticed over the previous few games box scores.

Renney is consistently showing more and more confidence in Staal. He's gone from 12, to 15, to 18 to 23 minutes last nite. This is a great sign. From reading these boards last year i noticed he was playing nearly 30 a game in juniors. While that's a lofty expectation for anyone, if he's up to a consistent 25 a night by the end of the season, then i think he's closer to reaching leetch like status then we could have hoped for.

Dubinsky isn't only playing 1st line, he's getting 1st line minutes - 16.5 last night.

Betts is being used efficiently, and i think that's the best word for it. He played 10 minutes last nite. Was there to start the game (a strategy i like, seeing as that line is quick and can and has twice caused the other team to fall into a daze from the get go. Any more time for him is unnecessary seeing as he doesn't score, but his play is stifling and a good way for the top lines to come on the ice guaranteed to be in control of the puck

Dawes is also gaining Renney's confidence. He's averaging nearly 13 minutes a night which is impressive for a guy at his size who continuously skates as hard as he does.

Numerous other things to talk about but lastly, i think we learned something important last nite about Prucha. If he gets less than 10 minutes he simply is not able to establish the pesky game that he needs to in order to be effective. Last night he gets 12 minutes and plays a pretty solid game; more importantly, the type of game that winning teams get from their 3rd line players, which is what he is and should continue to be. With that said it will be tough to find a spot for him once these other guys come back.

But the sentiment here is clear. People want hossa off the top line. Given that, I believe that Callahan is not the type of player who would be best handled getting 3rd line minutes. this kid needs to be groomed as a top two line type of guy and it needs to start happening this season given the log jam of forward prospects slowly trickling through the system. To put him on the 4th would be insane.

Interesting decisions to be made in the next week or so. look forward to seeing what goes down.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:00 AM
ruckus*

I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm a big Prucha guy and I think if he gets ice time he's fine. We are in a dilemma though when these guys come back. But we also have to realize that there are going to be more injuries this year so Renney has to keep EVERYONE's confidence high. Staal is amazing. It's been a pleasure watching him improve every single game. As for the Hossa thing...that's a little tricky. Whether or not people like him or feel he's contributing enough is one thing. To me, for once, that is completely irrelevant. What matters is that Jagr is comfortable. And if he is comfortable with Hossa then Hossa NEEDS to stay. That's all there is to it in my mind. I wish Jagr could deal with thing like that better but he's shown he's very picky. We need Jags to be at his best, and that means we need him to be comfortable.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:32 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's Renney Time!!

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
It's Renney Time!!
Love that suit. Hell, if the players can wear retro jerseys the coach's should be allowed to pimp the retro threads

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

lol, Renney's the man.

Old
11-16-2007, 11:15 AM
JayMan82

We need to turn that pic into an avatar

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Choice

It will be interesting to see how the Staal ice time trend is affected when Malik returns.

But it's amazing how much of our team's core is made of of home-grown players. And not only home-grown but really young too.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
There are currently 9 Rangers on the roster that are homegrown (refer to my avatar!):

#5, Dan Girardi, D, 23
#10, Nigel Dawes, W, 22
#17, Brandon Dubinsky, C, 21
#18, Marc Staal, D, 20
#24, Ryan Callahan, W, 22
#25, Petr Prucha, W, 25
#30, Henrik Lundqvist, G, 25
#44, Ryan Hollweg, W, 24
#51, Fedor Tyutin, D, 24

Last edited by Forechecker: 11-16-2007 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Because I'm an idiot
Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm a big Prucha guy and I think if he gets ice time he's fine. We are in a dilemma though when these guys come back. But we also have to realize that there are going to be more injuries this year so Renney has to keep EVERYONE's confidence high. Staal is amazing. It's been a pleasure watching him improve every single game. As for the Hossa thing...that's a little tricky. Whether or not people like him or feel he's contributing enough is one thing. To me, for once, that is completely irrelevant. What matters is that Jagr is comfortable. And if he is comfortable with Hossa then Hossa NEEDS to stay. That's all there is to it in my mind. I wish Jagr could deal with thing like that better but he's shown he's very picky. We need Jags to be at his best, and that means we need him to be comfortable.
Acknowledging Jagr's comfort with certain players is important, but the fact of the matter is, Hossa has spent a considerable amount of time this season getting top line minutes, and has yet to register a goal. He only has three assists. He does provide a good defensive reassurance, and plays a good board game, utilizing his size down low. The latter is something that Jagr finds comfort with. But with the emergence of Dubinsky in the past few weeks, especially his ability to use his body effectively along the boards and create a good cycling game with Jagr, I feel like Hossa's attributes have been replaced by a younger, more offensively-prone player. In other words, Dubinsky brings alot of the attributes that Hossa does to Jagr, and so much more. Hence, I feel like Jagr doesn't need Hossa as much anymore. When Straka comes back, he should take Hossa's spot, and Hossa should be on the 4th line.

Referring to the time division Renney has established, I think it's a great way to keep our top guns fresh for later in the season/playoffs. How long have we complained about Rangers coaches not rolling four lines, and our top lines succumbing to fatigue and injury? Not only will it keep us fresher in the longterm, but it also makes us that much more deep by giving guys like Betts, Hollweg, and Orr the opportunity to show that they can play and raise their confidence. And so far, although we've seen very little in terms of offense or even any sustained pressure, the 4th line is showing that they can keep up and provide some energy/physicality.

That being said, I think that as the season winds down, and as the playoffs come along, we'll see a heavier reliance on the top three lines, and perhaps more double-shifting of Jagr.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
crisb

I don't know about you, but Leetch and Staal still shouldn't be even said in a sentence yet...

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:03 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
There are currently 9 Rangers on the roster that are homegrown (refer to my avatar!):

#5, Dan Girardi, D, 23
#10, Nigel Dawes, W, 22
#17, Brandon Dubinsky, C, 21
#18, Marc Staal, D, 20
#24, Ryan Callahan, W, 22
#25, Petr Prucha, W, 25
#20, Henrik Lundqvist, G, 25
#44, Ryan Hollweg, W, 24
#51, Fedor Tyutin, D, 24
Ahem.... Don't you mean #30?

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Ahem.... Don't you mean #30?
Ahem, yes.

Old
11-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFan View Post
I don't know about you, but Leetch and Staal still shouldn't be even said in a sentence yet...
+1

I think many of the comparisons while fun are premature, and bound to be the source of massive flame wars in the near future.

Old
11-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post

Renney is consistently showing more and more confidence in Staal. He's gone from 12, to 15, to 18 to 23 minutes last nite. This is a great sign. From reading these boards last year i noticed he was playing nearly 30 a game in juniors. While that's a lofty expectation for anyone, if he's up to a consistent 25 a night by the end of the season, then i think he's closer to reaching leetch like status then we could have hoped for.

Dubinsky isn't only playing 1st line, he's getting 1st line minutes - 16.5 last night.

Betts is being used efficiently, and i think that's the best word for it. He played 10 minutes last nite. Was there to start the game (a strategy i like, seeing as that line -is quick and can and has twice caused the other team to fall into a daze from the get go. Any more time for him is unnecessary seeing as he doesn't score, but his play is stifling and a good way for the top lines to come on the ice guaranteed to be in control of the puck

Dawes is also gaining Renney's confidence. He's averaging nearly 13 minutes a night which is impressive for a guy at his size who continuously skates as hard as he does.

Numerous other things to talk about but lastly, i think we learned something important last nite about Prucha. If he gets less than 10 minutes he simply is not able to establish the pesky game that he needs to in order to be effective. Last night he gets 12 minutes and plays a pretty solid game; more importantly, the type of game that winning teams get from their 3rd line players, which is what he is and should continue to be. With that said it will be tough to find a spot for him once these other guys come back.

But the sentiment here is clear. People want hossa off the top line. Given that, I believe that Callahan is not the type of player who would be best handled getting 3rd line minutes. this kid needs to be groomed as a top two line type of guy and it needs to start happening this season given the log jam of forward prospects slowly trickling through the system. To put him on the 4th would be insane.

Interesting decisions to be made in the next week or so. look forward to seeing what goes down.
I agree with most of everything.

But IMO Callahan is a 3rd liner, it doesnt make sense to try to groom a player who is IMO not really a top 6 player, it could take away from other players development, who could be in that role.

Hossa isnt my type of player , just last night he has 2 opportunities to make solid apsses and ****ed up, just looks lazty.As soon as he gets the puck he gives it right away. All this guy can do is kill some penalties. Other words he is ****ing garbage.

I say Hossa and Dawes sit in replacement for Straka and Callahan. Id prefer maybe Callahan sit and dawes sticl in for now atleast. But maybe drury would fit better with Prucha and Callahan.

-I must admit a line of: ( this line looks more defensive and may not work for Prucha , but if the offense comes it could be huge for him)
Prucha-Drury-Callahan

-looks a bit better than this line looks more offensive minded, which since they are playing good already on the D side, when the offense kicks in it could be a lethal line )
Prucha-Drury-Dawes

So its a give or take I guess.

Also I respect your opinion on Prucha and it makes sense. especially sice Im a Prucha fan. i know how to look at things from your point.

Right now with the way things are going, I have no problem see'ing cally just chill for a little, no need to break up to much of a good thing they got going now. $ wins in a row, 8 wins in 9 games. I say let Malik chill as well, and keep Struds on the 3rd pairing and Staal on the first. Staal is already looking better than Malik on the first pairing, and I feel way more comfortable with Staal there. Im to nervousw ith malik on the first pairing.

Last edited by Jay88*: 11-16-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:34 PM
94now

Quote:
I agree. They are not comparable, since Leetch is Puck Moving D, while Staal is stay-at-home D.
Typical mistake of many fans is they think the more minutes player gets, the more chances there are for him to show his ability. Just opposite is true. Minutes are result of abilities shown. Often practice is the time when one could impress the coaches more then in the game. Games are only used to judge mental toughness, which is important, but just one of many qualities that needed to be successful.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 03:36 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
Or for at least 10 years, a norris, a conn smyth a gold meadal and a cup

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Noonan25

I think Marc Staal right now is our best defenseman, he has been awesome and thats not a knock on the other guys who have been great

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post

Betts is being used efficiently, and i think that's the best word for it. He played 10 minutes last nite. Was there to start the game (a strategy i like, seeing as that line is quick and can and has twice caused the other team to fall into a daze from the get go. Any more time for him is unnecessary seeing as he doesn't score, but his play is stifling and a good way for the top lines to come on the ice guaranteed to be in control of the puck

Agree about Prucha--players like him (Dawes too) need ice time to stay in the flow of the game. Disagree about Callahan, he's not really proven that he even deserves 3rd line minutes (although I think he's more than capable of filling that role), much less 1st line minutes. And in any case, that spot will ultimately filled by Straka (who Jagr is more than comfortable with) when he comes back.

It will be interesting to see what Renney does with the defense when Malik gets back. Does Staal continue to play with Roszival? I hope so, I think that is ultimately a stronger pair. I don't see why two veterans can't figure out how to play with one another and hopefully Malik will provide some better passing and positional play than Strudwick is capable of. That should help Mara, as well as the team.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
It's Renney Time!!
Renney has definatiely channeled the aura of Herbbie Brooks!
I started a poll addressing Renneys chosen attire, I'll make one again, soon.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 06:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The closest your'e gonna get and that's not even close, lol.