HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HHOF's funding?

Old
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Joe Pelletier

vCash: 500
HHOF's funding?

The Hockey Hall of Fame is often accused of being the NHL Hall of Fame.

So I think this tidbit from John McGourty's NHL.com article is interesting:

The Hockey Hall of Fame is independent of and cooperative with the National Hockey League. Seven of the 19 members of the Board of Directors are named by the NHL. Other organizations include the International Ice Hockey Federation.

Question: How is the Hall of Fame funded, and how much does the NHL contribute?

Here's the link to the McGourty piece:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=342829

Joe Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
the best players played in the nhl

so whats ur point

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Raoul Duke*

^^ That's exactly it.

Nobody get's their Hall of Fame credentials, being ignored by the NHL and playing in the ECHL their entire lives.

If you don't play with the best, against the best... what's the issue?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
^^ That's exactly it.

Nobody get's their Hall of Fame credentials, being ignored by the NHL and playing in the ECHL their entire lives.

If you don't play with the best, against the best... what's the issue?
But the WHA, RHL, SEL, Extraliga and SM-Liiga are not the ECHL. That's the issue.

11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
God Bless Canada

In the last 40 years, name me all the players inducted who played their prime years, or most of their career outside of the NHL. These are the names I found:

*Gordon Roberts, 1971 (Early era star)
*Harry "Hap" Holmes, 1972 (Early era star who split time with NHA/NHL and those great western leagues of 1910s and 1920s). On a side note, those who refer to this year's HHOF induction class need to do research. This year's class had nothing on 1972. Two of the top 10 all-time players ever - Gordie Howe and Jean Beliveau. One of the top 10 RWs ever - Boom Boom Geoffrion. And then very deserving selections in Hap Holmes and Hooley Smith.
*Tommy Smith, 1973 (Early era star)
*Thomas Dunderale, 1974 (Early era star)

And then you have to look all the way to 1989 for another player who got in based mostly on what he did outside of the NHL: Vladislav Tretiak. Since then, only two have been inducted on non-NHL merits: Slava Fetisov and Valeri Kharlamov. (And it took Kharlamov 20 chances). The betting here is that Larionov goes in next year, and Makarov goes in with Larionov.

I should note that the HOF seems to be more willing to induct non-NHLers into the builders wing. Recent examples include all-time Canadian junior wins leader Brian Kilrea and 1980 Miracle on Ice coach Herb Brooks. Both belong. Canadian Junior A icon Dwight McMillian and Future Aces patriarch Herb Carnegie would also make fine additions to the builders' wing.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 11-16-2007 at 11:16 AM.
God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 07:22 PM
justsomeguy

Agree completely on Herb Carnegie. As a human being and role model, there are two hockey players that stand, head and shoulders above all the others. Jean Beliveau and Herb Carnegie.

While I never saw Mr. Carnegie play, I've spoken to dozens of men who played with and against him, including Mr. Beliveau, and the opinion, almost to a man, is that Herb Carnegie was NHL-caliber.

There was an attempt made to have him admitted as a builder a couple years ago but it didn't put him over the top. From what I understand his lack of NHL time was the big bugaboo.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote