HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhnov

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Hairball

vCash: 500
Mikhnov

I found out tonight that we didn't sign him while he was here. I haven't seen this posted yet. Sorry if it has been.

Old
03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

That's bad news. Luckily for us we maintain the rights of guys playing in Europe, this is no place for a lw'er.

Old
03-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Just because he wasn't signed while he was here, that doesn't mean he can't be before next year. Too early to give up hope yet.

Old
03-29-2004, 12:42 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
let's hope so - god I'll be disapointed if he never becomes a part of the organization.

Old
03-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Allan

I got the impression that he was here for evaluation and introductions, and that talks would happen later. They have until July 15. I would be surprised to hear of anything being signed before the first.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:09 PM
McJadeddog

if we never even SIGN him i would be very dissapointed, now im not saying that he will or wont be signed, just that if hes not i will think it a rather large failure by the oilers management

Old
03-29-2004, 01:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
if we never even SIGN him i would be very dissapointed, now im not saying that he will or wont be signed, just that if hes not i will think it a rather large failure by the oilers management
How would that constitute a failure?

I'd be inclined to say the opposite... if they DO sign him it will be a very large accomplishment.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:26 PM
McJadeddog

if you fail to sign a 1st rounder, that consistutes a failure..... i cant see how it doesnt

Old
03-29-2004, 01:28 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
if you fail to sign a 1st rounder, that consistutes a failure..... i cant see how it doesnt
If the guy is being told by everyone around him to stay in Russia and not to go to N.A., I don't see how it is the organization who has failed.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If the guy is being told by everyone around him to stay in Russia and not to go to N.A., I don't see how it is the organization who has failed.
Exactly. I mean, if your a young player and you're told that if you even go to camp, don't bother coming back. Hey, the Russian league is doing whatever it can to keep its players. If Mikhnov stays, he won't be the last player to do so.

Old
03-29-2004, 01:41 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Well, a little foresight by the organization on a possible situation like this may have led us to draft someone more.....reliable. I don't know if it was even a thought at the time, but it is in in current drafts now. In a case like Zherdev's, he wanted to come over, but Mikhnov may feel more patriotism than him, and if the oilers had some incredible foresight at the draft and had asked him, this situation may have been avioded

But, hindsight is 20/20

Old
03-29-2004, 01:42 PM
dawgbone

I would completely understand if there were issues regarding this when the Oilers drafted him in 01, but the russian league wasn't tossing cash around then like it is now.

The Russian league must seem like a pretty attractive proposal to these kids, it's home, and they don't have to submit themselves to a huge culture shock.

Plus, unlike Zherdev, Mikhnov has already fulfilled his military requirements correct?

Old
03-29-2004, 04:00 PM
xerburt

i'm also guessing that a good performance in the world championships will go a long way toward kevin lowe's eagerness to sign the kid. if we're lucky, he'll put in a solid performance, and lowe will push that much harder to sign him by july 15th.

here's hoping!

Closed Thread