HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Beer Drinkers Thread

Old
11-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dykhuis26 View Post
The logic is flawed, though it sounds good in theory. Just like pre-partying you think you will spend less when you go out if you get drunk at home ahead of time. But what happens then is when you get to the bar you get crazy and start ordering rounds of shots for everyone, plus you also end up drinking the same amount anyway.
Here's a tip: don't buy shots for everybody.

But I know what you mean, I'm that guy, always buying rounds and shots for everyone and then wondering why I'm broke in the morning.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 01:15 PM
BringBackStevens

My buddies and I puncture kegs of PBR like it's our job

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
My buddies and I puncture kegs of PBR like it's our job

Ill stick with heineken thank you.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Porters and stouts are where it's at. IPAs are garbage.

Those are the rules I live by.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
Porters and stouts are where it's at. IPAs are garbage.

Those are the rules I live by.
don't like Hops i guess.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
I'm more of a liquor guy, but I'm into Yuengling and Coors Light, Corona, Miller, etc. I never buy the beer though, I need to see what else is out there.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm more of a liquor guy, but I'm into Yuengling and Coors Light, Corona, Miller, etc. I never buy the beer though, I need to see what else is out there.
horrible, mexican piss water, horrible... number of excellent local breweries you can't go wrong with.

Old
11-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
don't like Hops i guess.
I don't like the aftertaste of having just licked the ass of a pine tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
:shudders:

I guess you never really appreciate living in WNY until you move elsewhere, and discover that they don't get Canadian brews.

Old
11-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
I don't like the aftertaste of having just licked the ass of a pine tree.
depends on the IPA... not all are like that. they're essentially heavily hopped because it lasts longer, only real difference verse any other beer. don't know if you know the history, but for others the reason it's called IPA (India Pale Ale) is because it was brewed to survive a ship voyage from England to India without spoiling.

things i enjoy... you can still get the first IPA ever made in England.

Quote:
I guess you never really appreciate living in WNY until you move elsewhere, and discover that they don't get Canadian brews.
Canadian beer is grossly overrated.

micro-brews throughout the US own Canadian beer... and Philadelphia is one of the best beer cities in the world (I'll stand by that statement). if you can't develop your beer taste in Philly it's because you're not trying, not because it isn't available.

Old
11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
horrible, mexican piss water, horrible... number of excellent local breweries you can't go wrong with.
Maybe that's why I always get *****ed at when I keep telling people that I don't like beer. Because I don't always drink real beer.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
depends on the IPA... not all are like that. they're essentially heavily hopped because it lasts longer, only real difference verse any other beer. don't know if you know the history, but for others the reason it's called IPA (India Pale Ale) is because it was brewed to survive a ship voyage from England to India without spoiling.

things i enjoy... you can still get the first IPA ever made in England.

micro-brews throughout the US own Canadian beer... and Philadelphia is one of the best beer cities in the world (I'll stand by that statement). if you can't develop your beer taste in Philly it's because you're not trying, not because it isn't available.
What do you think of Yards' Philadelphia Pale Ale?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
What do you think of Yards' Philadelphia Pale Ale?
only had it a couple times, not enough to have a strong opinion, but didn't think it was bads. generally, Yards makes good stuff. we really live in a great area between the micro-brews west of Philly and the breweries in NJ.

lot of NY breweries are obviously available down here as well.

Old
11-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
It is, and it isn't. When I'm drinking and watching hockey with my friends, I usually make a trip to the pharmacy before hand because it's convenient. The selection is limited to the major brands (Miller, Coors, Labatt's, Molson, Bud, etc.), and in that situation Canadian brews are the clear cut winner.
Quote:
I know. I went to Maine, and they had some fantastic local brands that I'm still regretting not picking up a 24 pack for the ride him.

Just off the top of my head, The Shipyard Brewing Co. has a porter that I fell in love with. The salmon steak was delicious, but the porter was just the icing on the cake.

Old
11-18-2007, 09:24 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
i will also note that spitting on the fruit is a bit silly... steak can stand on its own without seasoning, but the seasoning can be nice. Blue Moon, for example, is fantastic with a orange slice thrown in there.

as far as Corona... throw a shot of Bicardi Limon into a bottle and you got yourself a "diver down." only problem with this drink is that you're hammered in about an hour.
You, sir, have just gained all of my respect. I never understood the bashing of fruit either. A lot of unfiltered brews are made specifically to add fruit (Harpoon's UFO, for example. At least that's what one of the master brewers told me when I met him, and I'll take his word for it). Leinenkugel's essentially comes with the fruit already added.

That Corona + Limon is a pretty nice choice as well. In fact, since I plan to get ****ed up wednesday night, I think I'll go get some of each.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
donelikedinner

beer is for picnics and chicks. real men drink whiskey! and it saves going to the can a lot too.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner View Post
beer is for picnics and chicks. real men drink whiskey! and it saves going to the can a lot too.

i'm ready to talk Scotch at any point, as well.

Old
11-19-2007, 07:59 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner View Post

Went to the Rutgers game on Saturday and had 4 beers and a shot of Jameson before the game.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 05:25 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1337
The Drunkest Cities

I came across this... I've been to five in the "most" category but eight in the "least" category. I'm not sure what that means.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...eac____&page=1

New Year's Day 1916 was rough for Colorado residents looking for a little hair of the dog. On that Saturday, the state stopped all liquor sales, predating Prohibition by 4 years. Today, Colo-rado once again leads the nation in its attitude toward alcohol -- but now, the mandate seems to be "drink till you drop." In our second ranking of urban inebriation, Aurora comes in 82nd, Colorado Springs finishes 98th, and, once again, Denver is Most Dangerously Drunk.

We looked at annual death rates due to alcoholic liver disease, as well as who's headed there by regularly downing five or more drinks in a sitting (CDC). Next, we factored in drunk-driving arrests (FBI) and the percentage of fatal accidents involving intoxicated motorists (U.S. Department of Transportation). Then, after tallying the MADD report card of state efforts to cut down on excessive drinking, we had our ranking and, for the state of Colorado, an invitation to AA.

Most Dangerously Drunk

100 Denver, CO F
99 Anchorage, AK F
98 Colorado Springs, CO F
97 Omaha, NE F
96 Fargo, ND F
95 San Antonio, TX F
94 Austin, TX F
93 Fresno, CA F
92 Lubbock, TX F
91 Milwaukee, WI F

Least Dangerously Drunk
10 Jersey City, NJ B+
9 Richmond, VA B+
8 New York, NY B+
7 Little Rock, AK A-
6 Salt lake City, UT A-
5 Yonkers, NY A-
4 Jackson, MS A
3 Buffalo, NY A
2 Miami, FL A
1 Durham, NC A+

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:12 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBgags View Post
This thread will hopefully unite the beer drinkers in this forum. Talk about anything beer related that you want!!

I just picked up a case of Full Moon - Winter Ale..It's made by the people of Blue Moon. It is getting down to temp as we speak and I am excited to try it because I love Blue Moon.
yeah we had a case of the Full moon the other night. its pretty good. good choice sir.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:27 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I came across this... I've been to five in the "most" category but eight in the "least" category. I'm not sure what that means.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/articl...eac____&page=1

New Year's Day 1916 was rough for Colorado residents looking for a little hair of the dog. On that Saturday, the state stopped all liquor sales, predating Prohibition by 4 years. Today, Colo-rado once again leads the nation in its attitude toward alcohol -- but now, the mandate seems to be "drink till you drop." In our second ranking of urban inebriation, Aurora comes in 82nd, Colorado Springs finishes 98th, and, once again, Denver is Most Dangerously Drunk.

We looked at annual death rates due to alcoholic liver disease, as well as who's headed there by regularly downing five or more drinks in a sitting (CDC). Next, we factored in drunk-driving arrests (FBI) and the percentage of fatal accidents involving intoxicated motorists (U.S. Department of Transportation). Then, after tallying the MADD report card of state efforts to cut down on excessive drinking, we had our ranking and, for the state of Colorado, an invitation to AA.

Most Dangerously Drunk

100 Denver, CO F
99 Anchorage, AK F
98 Colorado Springs, CO F
97 Omaha, NE F
96 Fargo, ND F
95 San Antonio, TX F
94 Austin, TX F
93 Fresno, CA F
92 Lubbock, TX F
91 Milwaukee, WI F

Least Dangerously Drunk
10 Jersey City, NJ B+
9 Richmond, VA B+
8 New York, NY B+
7 Little Rock, AK A-
6 Salt lake City, UT A-
5 Yonkers, NY A-
4 Jackson, MS A
3 Buffalo, NY A
2 Miami, FL A
1 Durham, NC A+
New york, NY: Where you can't actually drive, drunk or sober. Probably helps the ranking a bit Interesting list though.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Gert B Frobe

I had about 8 beers the other night - stupid beer and wine only party - got a nice buzz and had a good time but damn did I have a headache the next day.

That's why it's vodka, rocks, olives for me. No sense debating what vodka is the best - anything over $15 is a safe bet. Smirnoff is darn good and Luksosowa is a great buy.

Oh yeah - I like Lager but good lord does it make me fart.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
medicman

I brew my own. But when that's gone Yuengling, Guiness, no piss beer. Oh yea, Tennessee sour mash whiskey George Dickle No 7!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 07:58 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
That's why it's vodka, rocks, olives for me. No sense debating what vodka is the best - anything over $15 is a safe bet. Smirnoff is darn good and Luksosowa is a great buy.
Ketel One?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Most microbrews have released their winter ales. Life is good.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:46 AM
KevinLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
I had about 8 beers the other night - stupid beer and wine only party - got a nice buzz and had a good time but damn did I have a headache the next day.

Oh yeah - I like Lager but good lord does it make me fart.
I would say fris can compete with smirnoff, but it is only 13 bucks. If I am going more expensive I will go with Ketel One...oh god yes.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote