HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shaft question

Old
11-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Shaft question

What is the difference between a Low kick-point shaft, and a Traditional shaft?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
MikeD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
What is the difference between a Low kick-point shaft, and a Traditional shaft?
tappered and smaller at the end where the blade enters the shaft(norrower and smaller hosel). Said to give a faster load and release by increasing flex? Couldnt tell ya if thats true.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 08:48 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
tappered and smaller at the end where the blade enters the shaft(norrower and smaller hosel). Said to give a faster load and release by increasing flex? Couldnt tell ya if thats true.

It's true that a tapered shaft loads faster, allowing you to get a shot off faster. But I find that a standard shaft loads up more. So if your game allows you to get slapshots off, a standard might be preferable.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 09:10 PM
sc37

vCash: 450
Then there are standards which have low-kick points like the Z-Bubble and blades like the Z-Carbon that help with the loading.

Honsetly, I've used both, I found the tapered does give a slightly better release, but it's marginal as I'm not a big shooter anyways. I just go for the standard cause it's easier to find cheap replacements for.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

Ok thanks.

Quote:
It's true that a tapered shaft loads faster, allowing you to get a shot off faster. But I find that a standard shaft loads up more. So if your game allows you to get slapshots off, a standard might be preferable.

Ok, i rarely get the chance to load up and slapshot, i take a lot of shots in tight spaces, so maybe a low kick-point would be good for be.

I'm assuming that if you have a low kick-point shaft then you need a low kick-point blade too?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Sensfanman

Well, there's a trade off. Normal shafts are thicker than the low-kick point (as previously mentioned). This means there is less area on the cross section. Less area means more strain is applied with the same force, or equal strain is applied with less force (assume strain means flex because they are similar). Since you need less force to apply the same strain, it's easier and quicker to get a shot off assuming all else is equal. However, the trade off lies in that when the material of the shaft returns to it's normal position (releases the strain), it's got less built up force and therefore produces weaker shots. So, if your a crash and bang garbage goal guy, then go for the low kick point. If you're a sniper or point man with a big shot, get as thick a shaft as you can.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 12:01 AM
sc37

Well I wouldn't say everything is absolutely true in this, but the NikeBauer catalog has a good visual aid on the first couple pages comparing their Vapor to the Supreme line.

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/pics/J...hholiday07.pdf

Old
11-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My own real-world tests:

Tapered - faster release, more flex, easier to load, faster wrist shots

Standard - Harder slap shots, more accuracy, stiffer flex, harder to load

Lately I've been using the whippiest tapered shaft I can find, a 75 flex Mission.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Sensfanman

Oh, I'd like to share something that's slightly OT but still relevant (this is mostly for me being in Materials Engineering) but there's a new technology on the rise using nano particles and reinforced carbon nano tubes. Now this seems a bit sci-fi, so I'll explain.

First came wood sticks. Wood was nice because it was dense and let you "feel" the puck very nicely. It was sturdy and reliable. However the way it's composed, with fibers and air pockets and the like, it couldn't support much strain and therefore couldn't apply velocity as efficiently.

Next came fiberglass (I won't get into aluminum sticks, but they did exist). Similar to wood but a bit more refined and modified to give more power to the shot, nothing big here.

Now we have composite sticks which are streamlined, light weight and always changing. These things can launch a puck hard but don't really have the feel and reliability of good old wood.

The future. Nano sticks. Carbon nano-tubes are essentially stronger than diamond and thinner than human hair. Also, they are cheap to produce. What the can do for sticks is add A LOT of capacity for strain to be applied and therefore have huge power (I am almost certain they will be illegal in the pros). They also weigh next to nothing. I don't know with what kind of stick they will be applied (I assume composite but if wood could take them, it'd be an amazing balance) but I am pretty psyched for when they are on the market.

For an analogy, as I've tested the golf club version. Steel clubs don't bend much and don't twist providing solid, accurate shots. Graphite is very flexible and strong (more so than steel) but twists a lot more producing distance shots with lots of spray. The nano shaft is as strong as graphite, resists torque (twisting) like steel and weighs so little it's insane.

I thought I would add that since I love science and hockey and this is a shaft topic...oh and it might be wise to avoid spending too much on sticks since this technology should be here soon and trust me, you'll want them.

And now I am off to bed

Old
11-19-2007, 01:32 AM
sc37

You mean like CNT Stealths and the Montreal Nitro lineup?

Old
11-19-2007, 06:49 AM
Sensfanman

Yup, exactly, just a matter of time before they are mainstream.

Old
11-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd have to wonder if we really want indestructible sticks though...if you're going into the boards funny and end up spearing yourself, don't you want to the stick to give before your body? I've known a couple guys who've gotten injured that way and a couple others who were "saved" by their stick breaking.

That said, I'll keep my eye out for CNT Stealths on clearance...

Old
11-19-2007, 12:53 PM
XweekendwarriorX

What about the new S17 stealth i think it is? im trying to get guft cards for a local hockey shop so i can buy it after xmas.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
McNasty

My opinion about the stealth is that the only thing that changes is the paint job and the price. It's a great stick, and I would probably buy it but I prefer Bauer blade patterns

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also keep an eye out for the new Mission Fuel Ti Pro, heard very good things so far. Supposed to have a similar taper to the new Stealth and a Titanium strip "for durability". But it's supposed to be a heck of a stick and from what I hear $150-170. After picking up one of those L-2 specials, I'm keeping my eye on Mission sticks.