HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Time to Call out the Coaches

Old
11-18-2007, 10:28 AM
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Ottawa's powerplay is too predictable.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Lexicon Devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I think the same thing.

If your powerplay is very structured, it's easier to predict. Over a course of an 82 game season, with a different opponent every night, no opposing coaching staff is going to spend a lot of time breaking that powerplay down, and coming up with counter strategies. That changes in the playoffs. The Sens powerplay, under the Martin and Pearn era, would do well in the regular season, and often disappear altogether in the playoffs.

Now, our powerplay struggles, but, it does better in the post season it seems. It gets extremely frustrating watching an ineffective powerplay, but, you can't argue that result.

They should be practicing the 5 on 3s though. We can't score on those in the playoffs or the regular season.
I don't know.

I think you could still coach a structured PP that was hard to predict, if you wanted to. Just create a structure where your players have multiple options at any time.

We could talk about the post-season ineffectiveness of the Perry Pearn PP, but I don't think anyone really wants to. I don't think it proves that a better strategy is just the free-for-all that we currently employ.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 03:44 PM
mizza318

Our PP is a joke...its the reason why we got killed in the finals because in game 1 and 2 we had a lengthy 5-3 and nothing happened. Same as the Buffalo game, could of made it 4-1 but never happened.

Yes there are chances, but its all they are chances, if they don't go inn no one really cares.

I am glad we got a beat down from T dot last night, because the team has been playing like crap the last few games. Really great to see Heater just floating around since Spezza (god knows what hes is doing) came back.

Is it just me, but it seems our PP unit guys only shoot with a 5 minute wind up, like does Heater not have a wrist shot ?

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:14 PM
SilverSeven

For some reason (and this is especially true when its a 5 on 3) they are content to just play around on the perimeter. No attempts to go through the box at all.

If our PP was on fire we would probably be 17-1

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Brycios

I like the idea of a really well coached powerplay rather than no coaching at all. If we let the players do what they want, Spezza will keep passing the puck through the box and Corvo will keep trying to pick off the top corner from the blue line. Ottawa seems to have been trying to score from the point the last few games. This is a good thought, knowing that we have a lot of big guns on the blue line, but the execution of the point shots has been really poor. I think they need to try to get the puck towards the goal and bang away at it and if the box collapses a bit, get the puck out to Redden or Alfie for a shot from the point. Toronto's PK put a lot of pressure on the guys at the point and complete lack of movement prevented our guys from getting near the net.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:59 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I think the same thing.

If your powerplay is very structured, it's easier to predict. Over a course of an 82 game season, with a different opponent every night, no opposing coaching staff is going to spend a lot of time breaking that powerplay down, and coming up with counter strategies. That changes in the playoffs. The Sens powerplay, under the Martin and Pearn era, would do well in the regular season, and often disappear altogether in the playoffs.

Now, our powerplay struggles, but, it does better in the post season it seems. It gets extremely frustrating watching an ineffective powerplay, but, you can't argue that result.

They should be practicing the 5 on 3s though. We can't score on those in the playoffs or the regular season.
For a poerplay that isn't structured, it sure is predictable. The SENS do not move around. They park themselves in their positions and pass the puck around....it is very predictable.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 08:46 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
For a poerplay that isn't structured, it sure is predictable. The SENS do not move around. They park themselves in their positions and pass the puck around....it is very predictable.
Cause there is no urgency in the regular season. And there are still 14 PPs worse then ours.

Our PP was third best in the playoffs last season and the best the season before. The players have urgency to score in the playoffs and the talent to back it up. Regular season a little more passive.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
And there are still 14 PPs worse then ours.
That's the most schocking part, I think. I don't usually check those kind of stats, but when I did, I fully expected the Sens to be bottom 5.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:11 AM
billpo

Quote:
Cause there is no urgency in the regular season. And there are still 14 PPs worse then ours.

Our PP was third best in the playoffs last season and the best the season before. The players have urgency to score in the playoffs and the talent to back it up. Regular season a little more passive.
I don't care about the PP's of the other teams. I am concerned abaout ours. Where was the urgency of our PP against the ducks in the playpffs last year?(like someone else brought up). You don't wait till its too late to address this problem....Once again, who is the PP coach.....I want him fired.

Old
11-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Brycios

Does anybody know if the PP coach a different one than the one we had when we had the #1 powerplay in the league? If it's not the same guy, then why? If it is, then what happened?

Old
11-19-2007, 09:16 AM
discostu

Just looking over the powerplay ice time, and, with the struggles that this team has had, I'm actually suprised to see that Neil only has 12 minutes total on the powerplay for the season. When you're struggling to score on the powerplay, he's the first guy that should be thrown out there, just to create traffic.

I still think that there isn't a problem with not having a highly structured powerplay, but, we do need guys skating out there more. They get very lax with the extra time and space they have. You can still rely heavily on the creativity of the players, but, get them moving, even just a bit.

It's also worth noting that at least this year we're not letting in short handed goals. There's nothing more frustrating than a powerplay where you're worried about the other team scoring. That really annoyed me last year.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
I don't care about the PP's of the other teams. I am concerned abaout ours. Where was the urgency of our PP against the ducks in the playpffs last year?(like someone else brought up). You don't wait till its too late to address this problem....Once again, who is the PP coach.....I want him fired.
You can't fire a coach we don't have.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
billpo

Quote:
You can't fire a coach we don't have.
Well....someone has to be fired out of principal.....

Old
11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Brycios

Quote:
Luc Richardson?

Old
11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
pdog1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
If our PP was on fire we would probably be 17-1
And instead we're just a lousy 15-3

Quote:

pdog1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Karl Eriksson

Quote:
Spartacat ?

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 03:55 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Pheasant View Post
Spartacat ?
why not. someone has to go.

Old
11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
It is highly unlikely that no one is coaching the PP, though it may seem that way sometimes.

Perhaps no one wants to admit to doing it, but for sure there is someone coaching the PP.

There just not making a very good job of it.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote