HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who are you guys looking at for the 2008 draft?

Old
11-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

vCash: 500
Jordan Eberle is a very smooooooth player.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Bodker would be a good pick by me.
sign me up to that

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 11:03 PM
mschmidt64

How's Cherepanov doing by the way?

mschmidt64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Depends on who you ask. Some people think the kid is a bit of a jerk others question his commitment to being his best.

There is also some debate as to his long term projection. Some people like him the way they liked Getzlaf or Mueller. Others see him more as Sean Avery with size.
Well when you hear guys like Clark talk about prospects they always bring up skating and character. But lots of folks had questions about Cherepanov that Clark brushed aside. I think the Rangers can handle a kid with a few rough edges. At this point I'd trust the Rangers with being able to correct the issues.

The Rangers can develop Prospects? What a concept. A nice change from a recent, far too unhappy past.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I want us to look at Tristin Llewellyn, a defenseman from Michigan, just because Welsh names rock!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I want us to look at Tristin Llewellyn, a defenseman from Michigan, just because Welsh names rock!
Thats one of the worst pansy names i've ever heard.

I'm not rooting for some guy named, 'Tristin'

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 02:27 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Thats one of the worst pansy names i've ever heard.

I'm not rooting for some guy named, 'Tristin'
Yeah, until he knocks you out of your skates! Sir Tristan was one of the Kinghts of the Round Table, too. On another note, how fun would it be to listen to Drunks Sam try to pronounce his name?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Nich

my sister named my nephew Tristan....not a big fan at first, but has grown on me a little.

got his first personalized Ranger jersey at 4 days old

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 08:41 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I, for one, would love Kyle Beach or Mikkel Bodker.

Bodker is an offensive dynamo and Beach is just plain crazy (think a younger, meaner, better Sean Avery).

And both could end up being available in the low 20s possibly.

Any players any of you guys like so far?
Best player available at #30.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
How 'bout Jared Staal ?Ranked 13 in the OHL. Is a lot better this year.
19GP 8G 7A
Plus it's another reason Marc would want to stay longer in the organisation

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 12:11 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I want a high risk high reward offensive DIVA

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well when you hear guys like Clark talk about prospects they always bring up skating and character. But lots of folks had questions about Cherepanov that Clark brushed aside. I think the Rangers can handle a kid with a few rough edges. At this point I'd trust the Rangers with being able to correct the issues.

The Rangers can develop Prospects? What a concept. A nice change from a recent, far too unhappy past.
I think it all comes down to context. When you're picking 17th or 21st and there isn't as much on the table, it's a bit easier to role the dice. That's what happened with both Cherepanov and Sanguinetti. They were both talented players who had some serious question marks. The Rangers are at the point where they've developed depth, and that might be the single most important attribute a team can have. It pushes guys, opens up roster possibilities and allows you take some chances without kicking yourself (as hard).

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Ola

Quote:

Yeah, its really nice. I also think the competition we got within the kids, pushes them allot. I would love to have the opertunity to bring in a Pavel Brendl to this org today.

Both Lundmark and Brendl really screwed up when they where here. They obviously had no clue what it would take, and was just blindsided by the competition in the NHL time after time. You wouldn't even make the top 3 lines in HFD these days without showing up in shape.

Lets say you show up as a 18 y/o, highly touted top 10 pick, at our rookie camp these days. It won't take long before you figure out how hard you gotta work to have a shot at making the NHL, when you look around in the lockerroom and on the ice, and see a ton of extremely fit, talented, hardworking kids. When Brendl came up he looked around and saw no talent guys like Smyth and Whitehall, or kids like Juris Staal and the likes.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 05:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I think it all comes down to context. When you're picking 17th or 21st and there isn't as much on the table, it's a bit easier to role the dice. That's what happened with both Cherepanov and Sanguinetti. They were both talented players who had some serious question marks. The Rangers are at the point where they've developed depth, and that might be the single most important attribute a team can have. It pushes guys, opens up roster possibilities and allows you take some chances without kicking yourself (as hard).
I think that's also a by-product of the developmental process the Rangers now have in place. These kids come in right away after the draft for a rookie camp, and immediately see what they'll be up against. And, since the Rangers have placed an emphasis on drafting certain characteristics, when a rookie shows up and sees how hard that, say, a Tommy Pyatt, or Brandon Dubinsky works, he knows he'll have to bust his hump if he wants to make this team. Then, these guys get another dose of that competition before training camp. A standard is being set, and these kids are following suit.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Jay88*

All i know is Im hoping Montoya gets some time this year and puts up good NHL #'s so NYR can move Montoya there first and maybe a propsect for another teams top 10 and maybe a prospect as well. Sounds like a tough situation, but you never know. NYYR keeps its up they will be picking anywhere between 24-27 I say.Will they be the best in the NHL, 3rd or 4th best yes.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Jay88*

Quote:

Maybe its time for the safe pick.

Soif Cherry becomes a bit of project and dont work out its a waste of a pick , look at Hugh jessiman. I mean there not in the same level, as Cherry is higher. But still stop taking chances after a while take the sure thing. its almost like wasting a pick. i was never happy with Montoya being picked at #6,what a ****ing waste of a pick man.

Old
11-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
my sister named my nephew Tristan....not a big fan at first, but has grown on me a little.

got his first personalized Ranger jersey at 4 days old
To be honest, Tristan isnt a bad name, original.

Old
11-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Luckily Gordie Clark is there to make the decisions. Guy has drafted some tremendous players in the past. Hopefully he continues the trend!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 10:33 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well, since I think the Rangers will have the 30th pick this year they may not be getting too great a player.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
bagh

Personally, I'm hoping those annonymous "scouts" start questioning Luke Schenn in some way....that way he falls to us.

I loved watching him play in the Super Series.

bagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Pizza

Quote:

...and it may be time imo, to use some of that depth and make a move upwards if the right player is there and drops a bit. A point many people have made and which I have reluctantly seen the light on, is that the Jessiman pick has not worked.

Okay turn the page and move on. But the fact remains we do not have any depth at power forward. The Rangers need to focus on that area of their depth chart the way they focused on their back line in the '05 & '06 drafts. Just like you need a solid backline and great goal tending to make your team a contender, so too do you need guys with size for a long playoff grind.

So another question would be how deep are the next two drafts for big, powerful kids that can skate and finish?

Other than Beach, I'm in the dark. Who are the others?

Old
11-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Maybe its time for the safe pick.

Soif Cherry becomes a bit of project and dont work out its a waste of a pick , look at Hugh jessiman. I mean there not in the same level, as Cherry is higher. But still stop taking chances after a while take the sure thing. its almost like wasting a pick. i was never happy with Montoya being picked at #6,what a ****ing waste of a pick man.
Yeah AHL all-star. One of the top goalie prospects in hockey, what were they thinking?!

There are only two things keeping Montoya out of the NHL at the moment.

1. The salary cap.
2. One of the best goalies in the entire sport.

Neither of which Montoya can control.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 12:16 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I think power forwards are extremely overrated in todays game. Yes you need a guy to screen the goalie. But I'd rather have a sniper at the end of the day, especially one that can skate.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 01:38 AM
albynomonk

Del Zotto. Talented offensive defenseman, he played with Stamkos before entering the OHL and plays with Tavares now. When you're a talented offensive player and you play with another elite offensive player of that caliber, you learn a lot.

Of course, at this rate we'll have to trade up to get a shot at him.

albynomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majoritystorm View Post
I think power forwards are extremely overrated in todays game. Yes you need a guy to screen the goalie. But I'd rather have a sniper at the end of the day, especially one that can skate.
I'd have to disagree.

Power Forwards can really help you establish your game against a smaller team. The Rangers need a better mix of size, quickness and skill. I watch Getzlaf a lot. To me he shows what a talented big can do for a team. I like snipers too, but there is nothing that says a big guy can't be a bit of sniper as well.