Notices

Gameday: Wild @ Red Wings - 2004-03-29

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2004, 08:10 AM
ceber

vCash: 500
Gameday: Wild @ Red Wings - 2004-03-29

Final road game of the season for us. Good thing it's not the second of a back-to-back against a top team or anything.

Both papers report that Burns will be on defense again tonight. However, there's a message board post at IA saying Reitz has been called up. They usually have pretty good info there, so we'll see what happens.

Detroit 3 - Minnesota 1

Old
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
DW

I don't think the Aeros have a game today, so that blurb about Reitz is probably true. I'm guessing they'll just send him down when they have a game. We only have four games left anyways.

4-1 Detroit

Old
03-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Plan 9

Very nice shot by Daigle to get his second goal of the game.

4-3 Red Wings thus far.

Old
03-29-2004, 09:37 PM
ceber

Yeah, that Daigle.. he can really do things with the puck every now and then. I thought that shot had to have gone in off Legace, but the replay I saw made it look like a clean goal.

Much better game than I thought we'd see tonight. Nothing to be too upset about there for us, apart from Manny (Fernandez) probably wanting another try at a couple of those goals. I guess there were some moments when we looked pretty shaky defensively, but nothing too terrible I'd say. A team like Detroit can make a lot of teams look shaky. Bouchard looked pretty nice again tonight. I really hope he continues next season to play the way he has been lately. With Burns on D we actually have a D-man who'll hit someone up near the blue line! That's kinda nice to see every so often. I'm guessing we don't see him too much more there, though. And good ol' Nick Schultz, putting in the most ice time and ending up even on the night. Losing well to a good team isn't a bad thing, if you ask me, especially since we're out of the playoffs.

What's the deal with E. Chouinard? He seems to be looking worse than he did when he first got here. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong things, but he doesn't seem to have the same jump he did once he got his legs, and he's not going to the net the way he was earlier. Think he'll be around next season?

Old
03-30-2004, 01:32 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 4050
I thouht the game was pretty good., that one tough angle goal was pretty amazing. I have to say that Manny was the weak link that lost that game.

Old
03-30-2004, 01:49 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
With Burns on D we actually have a D-man who'll hit someone up near the blue line! That's kinda nice to see every so often. I'm guessing we don't see him too much more there, though.
Maybe we will... here's a quote from the star-trib recap:

Quote:
For Burns, the helper was his first point since Nov. 22 vs. Detroit. The rookie winger played his second consecutive game on defense, and his performance left Lemaire confident enough to go the final three games with five defensemen plus Burns.

"I like the way he plays," Lemaire said. "For a kid, 19, he played against a couple good lines there."

An understatement, of course. Lemaire paired Burns with Willie Mitchell, a stay-at-home partner. Burns was a minus-1 and logged 17:16, not far off from the amount played by regulars Zbynek Michalek (17:18, minus-2), Alex Henry (18:16, minus-1) and Zyuzin (19:24, even).

"I think he played up front, was not in the lineup sometimes, and lost his confidence," Mitchell said. "On defense you touch the puck. Sometimes, touching the puck gives you confidence. I can't say enough about him. Everyone is surprised, but pleasantly surprised."

Which brings us to the possibility that Burns could make a full-time switch. He played defense in youth hockey and for a year and a half in juniors, as recently as 2001-02.

"Fine with me," Burns said. "Anything to get in the game."

Lemaire said he would "wait until next year to see . . . if we need him up front or elsewhere." He said that General Manager Doug Risebrough considered this possibility when drafting the 6-4, 210-pound Burns last June.

Old
03-30-2004, 02:42 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
That solves our defensive problems...

Old
03-30-2004, 02:59 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
That solves our defensive problems...
Hey, good to have ya back...yeah, if we had any depth prospect-wise defensively this wouldn't be needed...I can't see a full time switch happening or even being beneficial long term.

Maybe we should play Wes at D as well :p ...at this point I guess it really doesn't matter.

Old
03-30-2004, 03:02 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Read my other post...

And Burns might be stuck permenantly on defense...

Hey how about Bouchard! LOL

Old
03-30-2004, 03:22 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
Hey how about Bouchard! LOL
You know, I was thinking about this the other day...how about Bouchard!. If he was only 3-4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier maybe then he would get the respect he deserves around here I know 4 goals isn't that much but in limited icetime has brought life to lifeless lines. Sometimes he reminds me of that one kid in the "Bad News Bears" running around the Astrodome from security guards. Clearly a boy amongst men and I wouldn't count him out for one second.

Go PMB! Drink the milk!

Old
03-30-2004, 03:24 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
ROFLMAO!

Drink anything! Drink beer for God's sake! Get your weight up!

Closed Thread