HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Refereeing Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2007, 02:21 AM
  #26
SpokaneChiefs
 
SpokaneChiefs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Your "earful" could be considered an intimidation and will cause you a major loss of respect with the players. WHINE and stripes do not go well together.
Well said. If a player is just trying to get the puck out of the zone in a hurry (Clearing on a PK for example), the last thing he wants to do is hit an official with the puck and have it stay in the zone. I dont know where you came up with this "Intinally firing a puck at the official" stuff, but thats not what anyone was talking about.

I am by no means an elite player at all, and had this come up once in a game. I dumped it off the galss and down the ice, but right before it happened the Official started yelling at me saying that he was there. I seen him and put by by him (not even that close to him IMO). As we skated down ice he pointed me out and started yelling. He very rudely warned me next time it was going to be a penalty. I'm sorry, but some officials are power freaks and try to make themselves a bigger part of the game when it comes of that stuff...

Trust me, no one is trying to hit you. If you have a problem, calmly tell the player the next chance you have. You don't need to bite anyones head off and create tension...everyones there for the same reason.

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 03:50 AM
  #27
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
If for any reason the ref's touching the puck during the play, he's the one that's being yelled at (and for good reason IMO). A D-man trying to clear the puck from his zone just shouldn't have to care where the ref is.

With experience (understanding the game pattern) and mobility on skates, a ref should be able to avoid most of those situations.

Of course, it's a little bit more difficult for the linesmen. Their freedom of movement is quite limited.

There's no way I would have considered calling a penalty when the puck was shot at me during the play. Just made sure I moved my ass faster next time.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:41 PM
  #28
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
If for any reason the ref's touching the puck during the play, he's the one that's being yelled at (and for good reason IMO). A D-man trying to clear the puck from his zone just shouldn't have to care where the ref is.

With experience (understanding the game pattern) and mobility on skates, a ref should be able to avoid most of those situations.

Of course, it's a little bit more difficult for the linesmen. Their freedom of movement is quite limited.

There's no way I would have considered calling a penalty when the puck was shot at me during the play. Just made sure I moved my ass faster next time.
When the puck is coming at you fast enough, there is no getting out of the way.

For referees, if you're in junior hockey and up, I agree as referees at that level are free to move wherever they want to in the zone. Below that, a referee's positioning is scrutinized a lot. As a referee in Midget AAA and below, I have to follow the piston positions and I am not supposed to go behind the goal line. That limits my position a lot in the zone.

I lined 6 Midget AAA games last weekend, and for the most part, players were good. I always make sure I yell heads up when I see a potential dump in (or out) coming, and some of the players were good enough to put their shot along the ice, which I like because I can jump to avoid it, or take the room I give them along the boards and shoot it behind me. There was one shot off the boards that hit me despite trying to avoid it, and the player told me to get the **** out of the way. I had a good referee who then warned the entire team's bench about verbally abusing the linesmen, thus I didn't have to say anything.

There were a few that went high off the glass in front of me, and when I am in position (at the Midget AAA level, players better know I'm there), that gets at least eye contact with an obvious message to watch out next time and do something different with the shot. When a puck is cleared high off the glass, it is too hard to predict the bounce when the puck is going at the speed Midget AAA players shoot the puck at.

I did have one incident after one of the games where the teams had gone to their ends and us officials were on our way to our crease when all of a sudden the puck hit me in the chest between my collarbones. A few inches higher and it gets me either in the throat or sends me for dental surgery. It wasn't intentional at me, but considering where I got hit, it was either a very stupid attempt to give us the puck after the game had ended, or he was shooting it at the opposing team's bench. I couldn't identify the player (some stupid teams out there without numbers on their arms), so I went to one of the coaches who I've known and gotten along with well over the years. He said he saw it and I quote, "I saw it, I'll find out who it was and tell him to pull his head out of his ass." That was enough for me to turn the other way and forget about it.

I am shocked at how many people think it's easy for officials to get out of the way of pucks, especially at high levels of the game. We don't chew players out for this because we want to be the show. We do it because we are looking out for our personal safety, and at levels such as Midget AAA, the players know where we are. If they don't, they're playing at a level too good for them.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 06:02 AM
  #29
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Nobody says it's easy to be a ref and getting out of the way. It's risky to be on the rink with 10 shooters. You are part of the game and nobody really expects you to be a hologram, but there's no way a player should pay attention to where the ref stands. Players have other things to worry about. There's no way you can blame a player for shooting at you during the game.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 10:44 PM
  #30
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Again, for referees at elite levels, where they are allowed to roam free in the offensive zones, I agree with you.

For referees at the minor hockey level (as high as Midget AAA), who are restricted in their offensive zone positioning, I disagree with you.

For linesmen, I strongly disagree that players shouldn't have to pay attention to where they are. By the time you play Bantam hockey at 13 years of age, you should know where the linesmen have to be.

9 times out of 10 (as a referee or linesman), I'm going to say nothing regardless, unless it's coming towards my head. If a player tells me to get the **** out of the way, I am either going to say something back or ensure you get a penalty for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (not necessarily for the puck, but for telling me to get out of the way after you rocket a puck in my direction). You will see the same behaviour out of most officials.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 04:15 AM
  #31
SpokaneChiefs
 
SpokaneChiefs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
9 times out of 10 (as a referee or linesman), I'm going to say nothing regardless, unless it's coming towards my head.
But are you going to yell and b***h at them, or let them know respectfully? There is no reason for Officials or linesmen to jump all over a player right off the bat about this. It just makes them sound like power freaks. Remember who's game it is your lineing or reffing...not your's!

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 06:28 AM
  #32
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
For referees at the minor hockey level (as high as Midget AAA), who are restricted in their offensive zone positioning, I disagree with you.
I am not familiar with refereeing in minor leagues in Canada/US. I used to be a ref in Switzerland. Reffed at top level, but of course had to go through the minors first. 2-man system in the minors. One guy near the net, the other just outside the blue-line. Is it any different where you ref?

Quote:
For linesmen, I strongly disagree that players shouldn't have to pay attention to where they are. By the time you play Bantam hockey at 13 years of age, you should know where the linesmen have to be.
Of course they should and it's nice if players try to avoid the LM, but they have other things to worry about first.

Quote:
9 times out of 10 (as a referee or linesman), I'm going to say nothing regardless, unless it's coming towards my head. If a player tells me to get the **** out of the way, I am either going to say something back or ensure you get a penalty for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (not necessarily for the puck, but for telling me to get out of the way after you rocket a puck in my direction). You will see the same behaviour out of most officials.
Agree on the fact that if a player yells at you in an inappropriate way he should go to the box. But again, you're supposed not to touch the puck. Most of the time, players will be pissed off if they are not able to clear the puck because of the ref. A small "sorry, couldn't avoid it" or "try to put it that way next time" from the ref works wonder. Communication is everything.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
  #33
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 14,027
vCash: 500
I found this out from a referee that had waved off one of my players goals.

Penalties can be given on intent. Goals cannot.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 12:14 PM
  #34
MeHateHe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 415
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post

Agree on the fact that if a player yells at you in an inappropriate way he should go to the box. But again, you're supposed not to touch the puck. Most of the time, players will be pissed off if they are not able to clear the puck because of the ref. A small "sorry, couldn't avoid it" or "try to put it that way next time" from the ref works wonder. Communication is everything.
As a liney, I might get hit with a puck once every three or four games. As a referee, it happens probably once or twice a game. It is going to happen because the officials are limited as to where they can go. I don't think I've ever lost my cool at a player for hitting me, although if someone actually shot it directly at me, I'd run him as soon as look at him.

Having said that, I am always yelling to let players know where I am. If they hit me with the puck after I let them know where I am, well, it sucks for them, I guess. It's not like I blend into the background. So no way am I going to apologize to them. The ice surface is a pretty big place, all things considered, so the notion that the only place for a player to dump the puck is into the limited space where the officials are going to be is just absurd. I'll do my best to get out of the way, but players shouldn't shooting a puck where I'm standing and expecting it to magically go through me.

MeHateHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:46 AM
  #35
Stripes
 
Stripes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneChiefs View Post
But are you going to yell and b***h at them, or let them know respectfully? There is no reason for Officials or linesmen to jump all over a player right off the bat about this. It just makes them sound like power freaks. Remember who's game it is your lineing or reffing...not your's!
It depends on the situation. If I am vocal to the player of my location and make eye contact with him (which means he knows I'm there) and he still fires the puck off the glass near my head, he's probably going to get it good from me. That said, I would have a much nicer reaction if the puck is closer to my ankles than my head.

If the same player does this repeatedly, my reaction is likely to have me shutup and tell the referee to get involved after the 3rd-4th time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
I am not familiar with refereeing in minor leagues in Canada/US. I used to be a ref in Switzerland. Reffed at top level, but of course had to go through the minors first. 2-man system in the minors. One guy near the net, the other just outside the blue-line. Is it any different where you ref?
We use the 3-man system (1R, 2L) whenever possible. For referees in the endzone (this goes for the 2-man system as well when you're in the "near the net" positioning you refer to), we use the Piston Positions. You have home base, which is at the boards around the hashmarks... you have Half Piston, which is near the bottom of the circle ...you have At The Net, which explains itself when you need to see where the puck is in the area. At no point are we supposed to go behind the goal line.


Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
Of course they should and it's nice if players try to avoid the LM, but they have other things to worry about first.
Fair enough. That said, if the puck hits me, don't whine about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
Agree on the fact that if a player yells at you in an inappropriate way he should go to the box. But again, you're supposed not to touch the puck. Most of the time, players will be pissed off if they are not able to clear the puck because of the ref. A small "sorry, couldn't avoid it" or "try to put it that way next time" from the ref works wonder. Communication is everything.
I don't know how players behave in Europe, but over here, when I say something like "sorry, couldn't avoid it", that player usually tells me something like "well get out of the way then". It is at that point where my opinion of that player is soured and my reaction next time he shoots the puck in my direction won't be so nice.

Lets clear this up... If I get hit with the puck, I am not touching the puck, it is hitting me. There is a difference. It's not like we intentionally get in the way.

If a player is pissed off because he puts the puck into me while I am where I am supposed to be, too bad. You're not going to see a tear roll down my cheek.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 07:51 AM
  #36
newfish
 
newfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to newfish
I hated when I reffed. Just make the calls and dont get in arguements with the players.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 10:59 AM
  #37
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,236
vCash: 500
Important rule of thumb: If it was a penalty 30 seconds into the game, it's still a penalty with 30 seconds left.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.