HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Michigan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2007, 03:13 PM
  #1
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
The Michigan

My son can do the Michigan when his stick is dry but after about 10 minutes of being on the ice his stick is too slick and icey.

Anyone know of anything that would help? Thanks

UvBnDatsyuked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 04:03 PM
  #2
Redden Hogalot*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Guelph
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
Yeah, same here. The ice needs to have no or little snow on it and the stick tape needs to be dry. It can help a little bit by putting stick wax on the stick if it already doesn't.

I've been trying to figure this one out also.. Haha

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:52 PM
  #3
Nosebleed Section
 
Nosebleed Section's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
same here wax helps a bit. I had this one kid on my team that tried this in a shootout useing a new, dry stick.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:59 PM
  #4
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
I hope your son is not actually wasting time practicing Harlem Globetrotter tricks. But waxing a stick up does have great benefits. Tape up your stick well and then apply copious amounts of wax. Get a blow-dryer and melt the wax so that it melts right into the tape. Candle wax or Zog's Wax works best.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
  #5
SSM12
Registered User
 
SSM12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
as said, wax

ive tried friction tape but that just rips easy

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 09:04 PM
  #6
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
I hope your son is not actually wasting time practicing Harlem Globetrotter tricks. But waxing a stick up does have great benefits. Tape up your stick well and then apply copious amounts of wax. Get a blow-dryer and melt the wax so that it melts right into the tape. Candle wax or Zog's Wax works best.
Playing a game is supposed to be fun right? Wax it up and it will be a lot easier.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
  #7
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
Playing a game is supposed to be fun right? Wax it up and it will be a lot easier.
Sure. But spending on the time on a circus move is dumb. I used to play this team where one of their forwards would always try to scoop the puck up onto his stick if you gave him a little room at the blueline. Then he'd try to skate in a bit and lacrosse shot it on net.

Stupid.

I've done it 1.5 times. Once I was on a ridiculous breakaway and had time.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 10:08 PM
  #8
Augustus Pablo
Registered User
 
Augustus Pablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Internet
Posts: 2,427
vCash: 500
if you do not want your son to get killed by the other players you will stop him from doing the Michigan

Augustus Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
  #9
Numba29
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Millville, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Numba29
Yes. It is completly pointless to be able to do any arial tricks. Stick to the fundamentals of the game first, develope your skills, then work on those pro moves.

Numba29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 04:49 AM
  #10
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
It's okay to have some fun, keeps the game interesting. But I wouldn't want to see him try it during a game.

btw coaches hate that crap, but nearly as much as some players, who in turn will take a run at a you if they see you trying it. (rightfully so).

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
  #11
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,139
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the help with keeping the stick dry.

My son doesn't plan on this being a game move and during his "stick and puck" sessions with his friends, he is working on many other things


Sidenote: I have been fortunate to play at a somewhat high level in my career
(D1). If there is one thing I've learned from top players who were better than I that moved on to even higher levels(there were many), it's to practice doing things out of your comfort zone that force you to develop your stick skills to the point that your stick is part of your body.

Doing things that you would never do in a game(tricks they can be called) gives the player confidence and belief that the stick is part of their body.

Juggling pucks, the Michigan, puckhandling two pucks, flicking the puck in the air, etc, are all things that create soft hands, hand eye coordination, quick hands that will carry over into a superb puckhandler.

UvBnDatsyuked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
  #12
lotus
Registered User
 
lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingFan View Post
Juggling pucks, the Michigan, puckhandling two pucks, flicking the puck in the air, etc, are all things that create soft hands, hand eye coordination, quick hands that will carry over into a superb puckhandler.

agreed, and also a good reason for kids growing up to play a bunch of different sports if they want to take something like hockey seriously.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
  #13
Nosebleed Section
 
Nosebleed Section's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 594
vCash: 500
Holy **** people need to relax, ready to throw some kids to the dogs cause they wanna dick around in free time with a puck. This is whats wrong with minor hockey kids should be able to do whatever they want with the puck. And if he can develop it into a game ready skill then he should do it countless of players have scored useing crazy tricks they made up in practice.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
  #14
Rem
PbP is what I spit
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,616
vCash: 500
cool, I had no idea that was called that. I haven't even figured out how to lift the puck like that. I also rarely wax my blade...maybe I should be doing that...

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 03:55 PM
  #15
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
100% agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingFan View Post

Sidenote: I have been fortunate to play at a somewhat high level in my career
(D1). If there is one thing I've learned from top players who were better than I that moved on to even higher levels(there were many), it's to practice doing things out of your comfort zone that force you to develop your stick skills to the point that your stick is part of your body.

Doing things that you would never do in a game(tricks they can be called) gives the player confidence and belief that the stick is part of their body.

Juggling pucks, the Michigan, puckhandling two pucks, flicking the puck in the air, etc, are all things that create soft hands, hand eye coordination, quick hands that will carry over into a superb puckhandler.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 04:00 PM
  #16
krax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
The guy in the video could have made it to the NHL if he hadn't wasted his time juggling the puck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpCkdW_PW_k

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
  #17
Cujo31
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
I don't like players attempting the Michigan while drills are being explained-but its good fun at the right time. Nobody on before you for practise....let the kids play with pucks with the extra time.

We have a backyard rink, my sons game would have been more improved if the hours spent practising/perfecting his Michigan had went towards shooting. Who cares though, he's having fun....and probably deriving some benefit from that 'wasted' time. He's on ice, learning edges as the Michigans get more creative....short acceleration bursts didn't hurt his game either.

As for waxes etc-they help on tape but best for keeping snow off your stick is the rubber one peice tape replacements. A quick tap on ice and your blades clean....no protection for your blades bottom with these tape replacement stickers though.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 05:08 AM
  #18
SpokaneChiefs
 
SpokaneChiefs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
The guy in the video could have made it to the NHL if he hadn't wasted his time juggling the puck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpCkdW_PW_k
haha yeah! I'm sure he would have been pretty good! Thats to bad...

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:19 AM
  #19
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 7,344
vCash: 297
Quiz time ...

"Doing the Michigan" is:

a) re-enacting Mike Legg's puck-scooping trick
b) the beginning of the swing dance revival
c) something like "The Hokey Pokey"
d) retarded

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
  #20
Hugh Madbrough
Registered User
 
Hugh Madbrough's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,784
vCash: 500
A! what do I win?

I'm willing to guess that all of you complainers just can't do the move yourself and you are jealous.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM
  #21
We'reGonnaWin*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
A! what do I win?

I'm willing to guess that all of you complainers just can't do the move yourself and you are jealous.
You lose. If someone has enough time to pick up the puck, I'll make sure they're down on their ass before they can finish it. Besides, if you have that much time alone with the goalie, you should be able to snipe it instead of going Harlem Globetrotter.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
  #22
dagr81
Registered User
 
dagr81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Quiz time ...

"Doing the Michigan" is:

a) re-enacting Mike Legg's puck-scooping trick
b) the beginning of the swing dance revival
c) something like "The Hokey Pokey"
d) retarded

d

dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:02 PM
  #23
nodq
 
nodq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Teal Town, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
But waxing a stick up does have great benefits. Tape up your stick well and then apply copious amounts of wax. Get a blow-dryer and melt the wax so that it melts right into the tape. Candle wax or Zog's Wax works best.

I use candle wax and a heat gun. The other benefit to waxing the tape is the tape last WAY longer as the wax protects it and keep it from soaking up as much water. I tape up my stick about once every 2 months or so.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
  #24
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
You lose. If someone has enough time to pick up the puck, I'll make sure they're down on their ass before they can finish it. Besides, if you have that much time alone with the goalie, you should be able to snipe it instead of going Harlem Globetrotter.
Its just something fun to do and no matter what you think the answer is A.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 09:41 PM
  #25
SpokaneChiefs
 
SpokaneChiefs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Spokane, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
I'm willing to guess that all of you complainers just can't do the move yourself and you are jealous.
Agreed

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.