HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Michigan

Old
10-13-2007, 03:13 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

vCash: 500
The Michigan

My son can do the Michigan when his stick is dry but after about 10 minutes of being on the ice his stick is too slick and icey.

Anyone know of anything that would help? Thanks

UvBnDatsyuked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Yeah, same here. The ice needs to have no or little snow on it and the stick tape needs to be dry. It can help a little bit by putting stick wax on the stick if it already doesn't.

I've been trying to figure this one out also.. Haha

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Nosebleed Section

same here wax helps a bit. I had this one kid on my team that tried this in a shootout useing a new, dry stick.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:59 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

I hope your son is not actually wasting time practicing Harlem Globetrotter tricks. But waxing a stick up does have great benefits. Tape up your stick well and then apply copious amounts of wax. Get a blow-dryer and melt the wax so that it melts right into the tape. Candle wax or Zog's Wax works best.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
SSM12

as said, wax

ive tried friction tape but that just rips easy

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
I hope your son is not actually wasting time practicing Harlem Globetrotter tricks. But waxing a stick up does have great benefits. Tape up your stick well and then apply copious amounts of wax. Get a blow-dryer and melt the wax so that it melts right into the tape. Candle wax or Zog's Wax works best.
Playing a game is supposed to be fun right? Wax it up and it will be a lot easier.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 09:53 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM47 View Post
Playing a game is supposed to be fun right? Wax it up and it will be a lot easier.
Sure. But spending on the time on a circus move is dumb. I used to play this team where one of their forwards would always try to scoop the puck up onto his stick if you gave him a little room at the blueline. Then he'd try to skate in a bit and lacrosse shot it on net.

Stupid.

I've done it 1.5 times. Once I was on a ridiculous breakaway and had time.

Old
10-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Augustus Pablo

if you do not want your son to get killed by the other players you will stop him from doing the Michigan

Augustus Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Numba29

Send a message via AIM to Numba29
Yes. It is completly pointless to be able to do any arial tricks. Stick to the fundamentals of the game first, develope your skills, then work on those pro moves.

Numba29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 04:49 AM
lotus

It's okay to have some fun, keeps the game interesting. But I wouldn't want to see him try it during a game.

btw coaches hate that crap, but nearly as much as some players, who in turn will take a run at a you if they see you trying it. (rightfully so).

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 10:53 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Thanks for all the help with keeping the stick dry.

My son doesn't plan on this being a game move and during his "stick and puck" sessions with his friends, he is working on many other things

Sidenote: I have been fortunate to play at a somewhat high level in my career
(D1). If there is one thing I've learned from top players who were better than I that moved on to even higher levels(there were many), it's to practice doing things out of your comfort zone that force you to develop your stick skills to the point that your stick is part of your body.

Doing things that you would never do in a game(tricks they can be called) gives the player confidence and belief that the stick is part of their body.

Juggling pucks, the Michigan, puckhandling two pucks, flicking the puck in the air, etc, are all things that create soft hands, hand eye coordination, quick hands that will carry over into a superb puckhandler.

UvBnDatsyuked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingFan View Post
Juggling pucks, the Michigan, puckhandling two pucks, flicking the puck in the air, etc, are all things that create soft hands, hand eye coordination, quick hands that will carry over into a superb puckhandler.

agreed, and also a good reason for kids growing up to play a bunch of different sports if they want to take something like hockey seriously.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Nosebleed Section

Holy **** people need to relax, ready to throw some kids to the dogs cause they wanna dick around in free time with a puck. This is whats wrong with minor hockey kids should be able to do whatever they want with the puck. And if he can develop it into a game ready skill then he should do it countless of players have scored useing crazy tricks they made up in practice.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Rem
PbP is what I spit

cool, I had no idea that was called that. I haven't even figured out how to lift the puck like that. I also rarely wax my blade...maybe I should be doing that...

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 03:55 PM
krax

100% agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingFan View Post

Sidenote: I have been fortunate to play at a somewhat high level in my career
(D1). If there is one thing I've learned from top players who were better than I that moved on to even higher levels(there were many), it's to practice doing things out of your comfort zone that force you to develop your stick skills to the point that your stick is part of your body.

Doing things that you would never do in a game(tricks they can be called) gives the player confidence and belief that the stick is part of their body.

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 04:00 PM
krax

The guy in the video could have made it to the NHL if he hadn't wasted his time juggling the puck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpCkdW_PW_k

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Cujo31

I don't like players attempting the Michigan while drills are being explained-but its good fun at the right time. Nobody on before you for practise....let the kids play with pucks with the extra time.

We have a backyard rink, my sons game would have been more improved if the hours spent practising/perfecting his Michigan had went towards shooting. Who cares though, he's having fun....and probably deriving some benefit from that 'wasted' time. He's on ice, learning edges as the Michigans get more creative....short acceleration bursts didn't hurt his game either.

As for waxes etc-they help on tape but best for keeping snow off your stick is the rubber one peice tape replacements. A quick tap on ice and your blades clean....no protection for your blades bottom with these tape replacement stickers though.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 05:08 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by krax View Post
The guy in the video could have made it to the NHL if he hadn't wasted his time juggling the puck
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpCkdW_PW_k
haha yeah! I'm sure he would have been pretty good! Thats to bad...

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:19 AM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quiz time ...

"Doing the Michigan" is:

a) re-enacting Mike Legg's puck-scooping trick
b) the beginning of the swing dance revival
c) something like "The Hokey Pokey"
d) retarded

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Hugh Madbrough

A! what do I win?

I'm willing to guess that all of you complainers just can't do the move yourself and you are jealous.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:50 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
A! what do I win?

I'm willing to guess that all of you complainers just can't do the move yourself and you are jealous.
You lose. If someone has enough time to pick up the puck, I'll make sure they're down on their ass before they can finish it. Besides, if you have that much time alone with the goalie, you should be able to snipe it instead of going Harlem Globetrotter.

Old
11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
dagr81

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Quiz time ...

"Doing the Michigan" is:

a) re-enacting Mike Legg's puck-scooping trick
b) the beginning of the swing dance revival
c) something like "The Hokey Pokey"
d) retarded

d

dagr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:02 PM
nodq

Quote:
But waxing a stick up does have great benefits. Tape up your stick well and then apply copious amounts of wax. Get a blow-dryer and melt the wax so that it melts right into the tape. Candle wax or Zog's Wax works best.

I use candle wax and a heat gun. The other benefit to waxing the tape is the tape last WAY longer as the wax protects it and keep it from soaking up as much water. I tape up my stick about once every 2 months or so.

nodq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 07:33 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
You lose. If someone has enough time to pick up the puck, I'll make sure they're down on their ass before they can finish it. Besides, if you have that much time alone with the goalie, you should be able to snipe it instead of going Harlem Globetrotter.
Its just something fun to do and no matter what you think the answer is A.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 09:41 PM
SpokaneChiefs

Quote:
Agreed

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote