HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let the fire sale begin!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 11:57 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
1) Hemsky becomes the #1 center
This can happen, and would not require too much change, as he is already asked to play the role defensively anyway.

2)Now he needs a winger
Radek Dvorak can play one side of the first line, but I don't think Smyth or York or Torres should be on it, leaving us with a hole at wing. Ideally, this would be a fairly balanced and talented hockey play, doesn't need to be huge or small, doesn't need to be extremely fast or extremely powerful, only one requirement BE ABLE TO PUT PUCKS IN THE NET. A talented goal scorer could score 40+ on a Hemsky-Dvorak line in a year or two. As many have said, we might just flat-out be able to sign a guy like this as a UFA with budget savings from deals and a new CBA.

Who this guy is, I'll let you guys throw some names up, but one guy I'd trade up to grab is Robbie Schremp, then develop him to take the place of the older winger you put on this line.

3)Now we have a legit second line.

York-Reasoner-Smyth

Supposing Marty comes back healthy, give him a real line to play on. This guy is developing into a 2nd line center, and worse comes to worse, he's one of the best 3rds in the biz, you move York to C and Torres up to this line.

4)Now we have an EXCELLENT 3rd line
Jarret Stoll at center, obviously. This guy is a winner, plain and simple.
Raffi Torres gets to hide from the opposing defence on this line, and get out against weaker opponents lighting it up.
Then we have a wide assortment of wingers to choose from. Isbister, Chimera, Moreau, and even Salmelainen by next year, should be the guys considered to fill this spot. I'm letting Isbister go unless he signs a VERY cheap deal. Chimera will develop, Moreau is an absolute Rock, and Tony is gonna be a special player in a couple years.

5)4th line crew
Here you obviously have a mish-mash of players, but it's a good line. I'd say you don't actually need a natural center on this line, just put out the 3 best guys for that night.

6)Defence
We're really okay here I'd say. Ideally I'd move Smith+ for something better, but that's not likely happening. We need a Pavel Kubina type in that spot, not a Jason Smith.

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Bergeron
Ulanov-xxxxxxx (Smith, or acquired, or even Cross)

One of Lynch/Woywitka MIGHT make the team, but I just don't think they're ready yet. D are like goalies. Let em develop in the A.

I'm comfortable with that defence, sure I'd like to Improve on Brewer maybe, or like I said deal Smith plus for something better, or acquire a #3/4 in another deal, but I'm comfortable going with that.

7) Our goalies.

Ty stays. He's solid, perfect for the hole we have to fill, and would work well in a tandem. This is in no way Essensa Shtalenkov material.

Tommy goes. He's had his run, good-bye.

Acquire a fairly young guy. Doesn't matter how, just do it. Guys like Biron, Johnson, Garon, Noronen would fit in well here, and could split with Ty to provide an effective tandem that would give this team a chance to win every night.

8)Powerplay Lines:

Unit#1
Hemsky plays the top of the left-hand circle.
Bergeron plays the middle of the ice at the top.
The acquired sniper plays the top of the right-hand circle (if he has a left shot)
Dvorak plays down low on the left hand side, and rotates to the top of the left circle if he has a shooting lane there. May also switch with Hemsky.
Torres plays the down low position, most of the time on the right side, but would also move around alot when (ideally) Dvorak has it behind the net.

Unit#2
York plays the top of the left-hand circle.
Staios/Brewer/Ulanov plays the middle of the ice at top.
Semenov plays the top of the right circle due to his HUGE lefty shot.
Smyth plays one of the down-low positions, and a Stoll, Reasoner, etc plays the other.

There's a team that will go places, quickly, with not too much change.

One problem though........I also need a new coach, because Craig MacTavish wouldn't:

A)Throw those lines out.

B)Jumble them properly when need be (i.e. moving Torres up, moving York to center, moving York to wing1, attacking different teams with 4 as opposed to 3 offensive units)

C)Distribute playing time properly, and in the right order at the right time. (i.e. double-shifting the scoring lines when they're hot, playing the 3rd line to set up the 1st and 2nd by throwing Chimera on it)

D)Play those powerplay lines, or institute the powerplay system advocated.

E)Play a free-flowing break-out/in system that a team like this requires to operate at max potential.

I could go on, but I won't.

So a new coach that is open to said system and lines, or at least close to them, is put in.

Draft a guy like Schremp in the first round, and hopefully a couple solid prospects elsewhere, develop the young guys we have, and maybe acquire a veteran hole-plugger or two with good shooting skills, or even just a marginal young guy who might develop.

Voila, we're ready to take off.

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 02-27-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 12:10 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
I really wish I had the same confidence in our future as you guys.I don't see our future talent pool as overwhelming like you all seem to.So I think we need to add to this pool.Firesale probably is a bit harsh a term and when I say change directions somehow it's because I don't like our direction and don't have the answers. In all reality we are miles from a cup .I'm certainly not a bandwagon jumper who doesn't think I've been an Oiler fan for 20 years .We seem directionless to me and I don't like it.
If you can't see the direction of this team, i wonder if you own a golden retriever to help you cross the street.....

Our direction is VERY VERY obvious. More size, character and grit. Look at the not so distant future (2-3 years) on Left wings.
LW:
Smyth - gritty
Torres - VERY gritty
Moreau - as intense and gritty as they come
Isbister - is a strong monster who just needs to stay healthy
Mikhnov - an absolute monster who, from sounds of it, usues his size well
Rita - he can play RW and he is gritty if he ever gets the chance to play (more then 10 minutes spread over two games!)
Chimera - depends what day it is, but if he ever amounts to anything he'll be playing gritty - he's not scared to scrap and his high speed hits hurt.

Our wings are going to be more then above average in a few years. Smyth can be a top line guy, Torres could be a top line guy. Hemsky is can be a top line guy in the future and Dvorak is a great two-way second liner.

Also, for drafting the focus has clearly been on center as much as possible. Our top two picks in the last two years were centers with size.

And as far as talking about the Oilers have no elite talent - well if Havlat is elite then I'm affraid Smyth would qualify. He hasn't had a great season but is sure coming on, and all his intangibles are what every single team in the NHL would LOVE/KILL for. Hemsky easily has Havlat potential. I can't imagine what he'd do with zero pressure with the Sens and with other high skill players. Just because hockeysfuture doesn't have any of the players on the list with an 8 beside their name doesn't mean that we NEED to trade for somebody who does.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:18 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Voila, we're ready to take off.
I like your lines and the whole Hemsky thing - but you oversimplify things it makes me laugh. If you think you can, in 10 minutes draw up some effective powerplay and write it down in words, you're kidding yourself. If you're such a good coach, why don't you coach anybody and work your way into a spot where you could coach the Oilers so your genius could win us a cup (because with the smarts you believe yourself to have there is no way you wouldn't advance). Now, I respect your opinion well enough, but your little rants on how you would change/fine tune things and make the Oilers SO much stronger get quite annoying.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Tanko

[QUOTE=thome_26]If you can't see the direction of this team, i wonder if you own a golden retriever to help you cross the street.....

Thome how about you do me a favour and stop with the ignorant comments.They are not needed and not funny.We are all Oiler fans here and just because you don't like my opininon doesn't allow you to shoot me down Thank you.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:27 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I like your lines and the whole Hemsky thing - but you oversimplify things it makes me laugh. If you think you can, in 10 minutes draw up some effective powerplay and write it down in words, you're kidding yourself. If you're such a good coach, why don't you coach anybody and work your way into a spot where you could coach the Oilers so your genius could win us a cup (because with the smarts you believe yourself to have there is no way you wouldn't advance). Now, I respect your opinion well enough, but your little rants on how you would change/fine tune things and make the Oilers SO much stronger get quite annoying.
Alot of people overanalyze. Why haven't we ever seen that PP system employed? Because MacTavish will not use it. Coaches get set in their ways and for some reason, are only comfortable doing it a certain way. Study what the good teams, and well-coached teams do, and you will understand where I come from. Obviously I'm simplifying things down, I'm not gonna write a 10-page post on this (I could, but that's a damn lot of work for a board).

Who says I won't try to coach my way up through the ranks? I also happen to realize it's disgustingly hard to get into the NHL coaching 'circle' if you haven't played or been directly involved for a LONG time. Lots of people with excellent hockey minds are kept out.

I thought that's what we were doing in this thread, describing how the team should be shaped for the next years. I happen to think my plan is very good and not afraid to say so. Those lines are markedly better than what we have, and are attainable.

You're really gonna enjoy my "The 03-04 Oilers, a revisionist history" post that I'll do later on Thome

Old
02-27-2004, 12:29 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

[QUOTE=Tanko]
Quote:
If you can't see the direction of this team, i wonder if you own a golden retriever to help you cross the street.....

Thome how about you do me a favour and stop with the ignorant comments.They are not needed and not funny.We are all Oiler fans here and just because you don't like my opininon doesn't allow you to shoot me down Thank you.
was not intended to hurt your feelings (although I thought it was funny ). But seriously, in all the papers and on TV Lowe has stated dozens of times what this teams direction is and it is obvious by looking at guys they've traded away and for and who they've drafted.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Tanko

Quote:
was not intended to hurt your feelings (although I thought it was funny ). But seriously, in all the papers and on TV Lowe has stated dozens of times what this teams direction is and it is obvious by looking at guys they've traded away and for and who they've drafted.

I find it mind boggling that you think we can win in the future with this group.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:34 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Alot of people overanalyze. Why haven't we ever seen that PP system employed? Because MacTavish will not use it. Coaches get set in their ways and for some reason, are only comfortable doing it a certain way. Study what the good teams, and well-coached teams do, and you will understand where I come from. Obviously I'm simplifying things down, I'm not gonna write a 10-page post on this (I could, but that's a damn lot of work for a board).

Who says I won't try to coach my way up through the ranks? I also happen to realize it's disgustingly hard to get into the NHL coaching 'circle' if you haven't played or been directly involved for a LONG time. Lots of people with excellent hockey minds are kept out.

I thought that's what we were doing in this thread, describing how the team should be shaped for the next years. I happen to think my plan is very good and not afraid to say so. Those lines are markedly better than what we have, and are attainable.

You're really gonna enjoy my "The 03-04 Oilers, a revisionist history" post that I'll do later on Thome
Ya, it is on what we're doign with the team, and I said I liked what you said about your post, but you think that without watching them pratice game in and game out and from watching the TV and seeing a few highlights that you can analyze to a "t" what is wrong and what needs to be changed and how to change that is folly. I, too, try to watch systems as close as possible. I often don't recall certain players and such because I'm watching the group of five guys more then individuals. We can all add our two cents on what we think is wrong - for me on the powerplay, and I think everybody would agree, it's that we A) don't move the puck NEARLY fast enough (although that's seemed to improve a bit) and B)don't create and take advantage of shooting lanes properly (oh, and of course we strugle setting up often too). Anybody can see this. But nobody that posts on this board would be able to walk into the Oilers dressing room and in season have them with a greatly improved powerplay.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:39 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
I find it mind boggling that you think we can win in the future with this group.
That's because you aren't looking at the overall picture. You're looking at Stoll and seeing a guy who is a 3rd/4th liner who helps a tiny bit offensively and is stable defensive and on draws. I see a guy who could develop into a less physical Mike Peca type. You look at Hemsky and see a somebody who to often is inconsistent and to easily pushed off the puck and doesn't take shots when he creates those chances. I see a kid who can do things with the puck no Oilers for a long time has been able to and has more creativity then anybody since we lost Kurri. You look at Semenov and see a big guy who can play tough and has a nice shot but doesn't score much and doesn't hit enough. I see a guy who has every tool that a big defensman could ever want, a future mini-Chara. You can't judge young kids and decide on how good they'll be when they're in their early 20's and are still just learning the NHL game and have alot of improving to do. You have to look at smaller things like skill sets and small things they've shown you.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Hemsky01

Quote:
, a future mini-Chara. You can't .
I don't know if you've seen Semenov but he's definitely not the mini version.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:55 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I don't know if you've seen Semenov but he's definitely not the mini version.
he's 1/4 of a foot shorter and 40 lbs lighter, I think mini is suitable!

But that's what I was eluding to - a Chara type guy with size and grit and scoring ability, although not as big, not as gritty, and maybe not as good offensively, althoug I think with maturaty his shot will become the staple of the Oilers powerplay and I think he'll be a regular 15-18 goal scorer.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:25 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
Did you miss the part where I said elite, blue chip forward????????? Yeah some of our young guys and prospects look like they can be top two line, 20-25 goal, 50-60 point forwards, maybe. As I repeat you need elite palyers to compete for a cup year in - year out. Bertuzzi, Naslund, Forsberg, Hjeduk, Alfredsson, Havlat, Hossa, Redden, Brodeur, Pronger, Lidstrom, Nash, Kovalchuk, Heatley these are types of players every cup contender has. I don't see any of these type of impact players in our system and if our plan was to compete after the post CBA, shouldn't we?
I don't see anybody from New Jersey on your list except Brodeur. There is no doubt that we need an impact player or two but we can't afford to buy them and you never know when you draft how they will turn out. Assembling draft picks and depth is the only way I know of to do that and that is what Lowe has been doing. We need 2 or 3 players. Some are coming and maybe we need to trade for one but although I love Nash and some of the others on your list you can't just say you need one and somebody gives you one. That said I think the Oilers are in a great position to move up in the draft this year and I hope they can pull it off.

Last edited by theoil: 02-27-2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old
02-27-2004, 07:18 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
We don't have scorers... at least not to the extent that is required to have a successful NHL team. Our defense is covered in castaways, who have managed to gel into a solid, yet unspectacular unit.
Bingo. Going into this season, we were missing Marchant's 60 points from last season and Comrie. Now, I have no problems with the outcome of these two scenarios, but Lowe did not get any replacements for them. Yes, he did get Oates, but only half way through the season and Oates was not in game shape and he is freakin 41 years old.

Yeah, probably no one expected Hemsky to go through a severe sophmore slump and Dvo to struggle scoring goals (although he's been great). Lowe new going in that they were thin at centre and I think he did a bad job addressing it. I'm not pissed at him, just what I think.

Regardless of where the Oilers stand within the next week, I think Lowe will address this on deadline day, whether it's someone line who's NHL ready this season, or someone that will be next year or the year after.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
We don't have scorers... at least not to the extent that is required to have a successful NHL team.
not compared to the big boys like Colorado or Detroit but we could potentially have 11 guys with 10 goals or more this year. that's pretty good depth. If Hemsky would shoot more he could easily have 25 goals. Smyth is a 30 goal man who is finally starting to look like it again. A full season with a healthy York, Dvo and Izzy might have a resulted in more goals. but scoring isn't the problem, defense is. team defense. Calgary has scored 9 fewer goals but they have allowed 19 fewer as well. Time to get back to team defense
Quote:
Our defense is covered in castaways, who have managed to gel into a solid, yet unspectacular unit.
I guess you could look at Cross, Staios and Ulanov as castaways but any contending team would love to have any of these guys (aside from maybe Cross). we have a better defense core than the one that set a team low 182 GA two years ago. losing Niinimaa sure hurt but would you rather have Brown, Poti and Pisa over Cross, Staios and Ulanov? I think we have a very good defense but we have less defensive minded forwards. Having Reasoner in the lineup for the season would definitely help in that area.
Quote:
Conklin is an alright goaltender, a capable backup, but that's about it. Has he performed much better than Salo... it's debatable. 8 of his 11 wins have come against teams below .500, and his record against above .500 teams is 3-10-1. That isn't good goaltending.
It's hard to blame Conklin for his record against above .500 teams. wins and losses are a team stat. He has a very respectable .916 save %, and he averages nearly 29 shots a game when you factor in minutes played. He's been a winner everywhere he's been and needs to be the #1 guy to prove it here. sure his big weakness is giving up big rebounds. but that can be taught. he has the confidence that Salo sometimes seems to lack. I am not convinced that Ari Ahonen is the answer to our goaltending woes.
Quote:
One question for everyone... how on earth do you know how motivating Mac-T is? This completely baffles me, and I don't understand how you can come to this conclusion if you aren't on or near the team.
what do you mean? I'm their stick boy I guess I'm just interpreting his lackadaisical demeanor in interviews and on the bench as non motivational. I'd rather watch paint dry. you're right, it's not fair to question his motivation, but when the only players bringing their "A" game every night are Moreau, Dvorak, York and Smith, it makes one wonder why? If this were any other team, MacT would've been gone a long time ago.

Last edited by Oil_in_my_veins: 02-27-2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old
02-27-2004, 08:39 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
8)Powerplay Lines:

Unit#1
Hemsky plays the top of the left-hand circle.
Bergeron plays the middle of the ice at the top.
The acquired sniper plays the top of the right-hand circle (if he has a left shot)
Dvorak plays down low on the left hand side, and rotates to the top of the left circle if he has a shooting lane there. May also switch with Hemsky.
Torres plays the down low position, most of the time on the right side, but would also move around alot when (ideally) Dvorak has it behind the net.

Unit#2
York plays the top of the left-hand circle.
Staios/Brewer/Ulanov plays the middle of the ice at top.
Semenov plays the top of the right circle due to his HUGE lefty shot.
Smyth plays one of the down-low positions, and a Stoll, Reasoner, etc plays the other.
Not to rain on your parade, but your team is screwed if your primary setup is the umbrella. On it's own, or as a primary, it is the single easiest power play to defend against because you simply need to employ a diamond, and you have 3 players facing the puck at the same time.

Not only that, but it's fresh pickings for the intercepted passes and shorthanded breakaways.

I'll put the diagram up from my coaching manual later, and I'll show you all the issues you'll run into with the umbrella as your primary powerplay setup. Just to note, it isn't the same when you start in one setup and position yourself later into the umbrella, but it won't take teams to long to figure out that is what you do all the time.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:05 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Oh this is rich. "Get better somehow"? That's a sound plan there. If we blow up the team and conduct a firesale, I can guarantee that we WON'T be better in 2,3 years later.
That's pretty much a semi AHL Lineup there for 2004. And its not going to get better in 2005. Or 2006.
And lastly, take a good hard look at the powerhouse teams. Ottawa. Colorado. Detroit. New Jersey. How did they get there? It took much much more than a firesale to win. Detroit had years of good drafting (Yzerman) and bad drafting (Burr) and many years of losing before they became good - Detroit Dead Things. Ottawa's first three years were brutal.
It helps to have brutal years. If you ice a semi-AHL lineup for 04/05 (assuming some NHL play), then what might happen in late June 05 in Ottawa? The Oil could get Sidney Crosby. Then trust me things will get really better in 05/06 and 06/07.

Even in this year's draft you have players like Evgeni Malkin and Kyle Chipchura available. Personally I would suggest the Oil make a move to collect at least another #1 pick from a team (by trading an older vet or vets not named Smyth), and then in June take the Oil #1 and the other #1 and maybe Rita and package it together to move up the draft to take the best C available (and get this decision right: drafting Daigle hurt the Sens bad). That single step of getting the best C in the 04 draft will go a long way to improving the team for the long run. Of course getting the best C in the 05 draft would be even better, but you might have to have a real firesale to make that happen, followed by a very brutal 04/05 season - however that could very well be a reduced season.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
1) Hemsky becomes the #1 center
This can happen, and would not require too much change, as he is already asked to play the role defensively anyway.

2)Now he needs a winger

Who this guy is, I'll let you guys throw some names up, but one guy I'd trade up to grab is Robbie Schremp, then develop him to take the place of the older winger you put on this line.

3)Now we have a legit second line.

York-Reasoner-Smyth

Supposing Marty comes back healthy, give him a real line to play on. This guy is developing into a 2nd line center, and worse comes to worse, he's one of the best 3rds in the biz, you move York to C and Torres up to this line.

4)Now we have an EXCELLENT 3rd line
Jarret Stoll at center, obviously. This guy is a winner, plain and simple.
Raffi Torres gets to hide from the opposing defence on this line, and get out against weaker opponents lighting it up.

5)4th line crew
Here you obviously have a mish-mash of players, but it's a good line. I'd say you don't actually need a natural center on this line, just put out the 3 best guys for that night.

6)Defence
We're really okay here I'd say. Ideally I'd move Smith+ for something better, but that's not likely happening. We need a Pavel Kubina type in that spot, not a Jason Smith.

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Bergeron
Ulanov-xxxxxxx (Smith, or acquired, or even Cross)

One of Lynch/Woywitka MIGHT make the team, but I just don't think they're ready yet. D are like goalies. Let em develop in the A.

7) Our goalies.

Ty stays. He's solid, perfect for the hole we have to fill, and would work well in a tandem. This is in no way Essensa Shtalenkov material.

Tommy goes. He's had his run, good-bye.

Acquire a fairly young guy. Doesn't matter how, just do it. Guys like Biron, Johnson, Garon, Noronen would fit in well here, and could split with Ty to provide an effective tandem that would give this team a chance to win every night.
Excellent post grasshopper!

Some well thought out ideas. I won't comment on the PP, simply because I have no clue about PP attack. But I wanted to give you credit for good thoughts.

The problem with Schremp, is that most draftees are not ready to jump straight into the NHL. And for the few that do, they usually need the experience on 3rd/4th lines before jumping to the top line. Lupul, Staal, Weiss are all playing on the 2nd-3rd lines for their respective teams this year.

OOh. I just edited my post here, when I read what a poster suggested about moving Dvorak to Centre. I like that idea better than moving Hemsky. Let's try it! He's already defensive responsible, he's got the skills to bring the puck up the ice and he's got the speed. Just work on faceoffs. Hemsky still needs to work on defense, so I think Dvo may be closer and easier switch. Or can Dvorak play LW?

As for the LW, I would suggest to re-examine Yorkie as the #1 LW. He's played a fair amount of LW already in NYR. He's been our best player this season, he shares excellent chemistry with Dvo already, its a natural! Think of the speed, the skill.. ooooh!

1st line: York - Dvorak - Hemsky

2nd line: needed changing anyways since both Smyth doesn't play RW. How about... I'd like to give the kid (Stoll) a chance. If it doesn't work, then switch Reasoner back in. This line is all about grind, and power. Izzy provides the monster power forward. Smyth will grind the corners and battle in front of the net. Stoll is no slouch at the physical battles either.

Smyth - Stoll - Isbister

3rd line: tough one. I know you suggest Torres, but he's a LW and that means no Moreau. aRgh. How difficult is it to switch from LW to RW? I have no clue.

Moreau - Reasoner - Torres?

4th line:
Chimera - Horcoff - Salmolainen/Laraques

As for the defense, I'm not that comfortable with Semmy as the first pairing. Its why I'd like us to keep Smith if at all possible, but he would probably net us something very nice in trade and we probably couldn't afford his next contract. I'd like to pair up each kid with a savvy vet.

I'm not convinced that Bergy is ready for top 4 duties yet.

Brewer - Staios
Semenov - Ulanov
Cross - Bergeron
Ferguson

1st callup: Woywitka/Lynch

Goalie
aha! I'm going to pull a surprise and probably be a flamed bigtime, but its a thought: what if we re-signed Tommy for 1.5 million to be backup to Conklin. I'm not convinced that Conklin is a whole lot worse (or a whole lot better) than Ahonen or Garon. I think getting Biron or Noronen out of Buffalo would be expensive.

So Conklin is #1. Salo is #2, at a much cheaper price.

if not Salo, then maybe another cheap backup like Prusek, or Dunham (at a reduced price).

Last edited by Master Lok: 02-27-2004 at 03:31 PM.
Old
02-27-2004, 03:28 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Conklin can't beat any of the good teams in the NHL (over .500), he's not someone you want starting for you.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Conklin can't beat any of the good teams in the NHL (over .500), he's not someone you want starting for you.
True, but I'm not convinced that Ahonen or Garon could either. Maybe Biron, but I think the price is steeper than a lot of posters here think it would be.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:38 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
True, but I'm not convinced that Ahonen or Garon could either. Maybe Biron, but I think the price is steeper than a lot of posters here think it would be.
lol... neither do I... which is why I would rather see Salo back for a cheaper rate than one of those guys forced into a starter role.

Ideally, it would be nice to pick up a Biron or something like that... a guy who has at least stopped pucks at an NHL level consistantly.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

if not Salo, then maybe another cheap backup like Prusek, or Dunham (at a reduced price).
I've said several times that I think it is worth, in the offseason if we couldn't get a guy like Hurme or Noronen with out giving up a real good asset, giving Tommy an offer at the same number you said. When he's on he's MUCH better then Conks - who is nothing more then a good backup.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade, but your team is screwed if your primary setup is the umbrella. On it's own, or as a primary, it is the single easiest power play to defend against because you simply need to employ a diamond, and you have 3 players facing the puck at the same time.

Not only that, but it's fresh pickings for the intercepted passes and shorthanded breakaways.

I'll put the diagram up from my coaching manual later, and I'll show you all the issues you'll run into with the umbrella as your primary powerplay setup. Just to note, it isn't the same when you start in one setup and position yourself later into the umbrella, but it won't take teams to long to figure out that is what you do all the time.
It's not the standard umbrella, that's one of the things I would've gone into great depth about had I gone on a ten-pager, I just thought it would be best to lay it out that way, so people could understand where I was going. The simple umbrella is a fairly easy PP to defend against using said diamond, that is for sure, but a large part of the powerplay scheme I'm advocating is the movement and exploitation of the diamond system, and the use of back-door reads. Wish I could diagram this stuff on here because I think you'd agree with the way I show it done. Lookin at the best powerplays and combining them results in a seriously good system. I've seen teams play close to what I'd suggest, and they're always near the top of whatever league they may be in in terms of PP stats. And there is of course the second option, or variable if you will, of rotating the side players back, and even dropping the middle man in, like I said, I need a diagram Of course any system is as good as it's players of course, which is why I adress the personnel needs as well.

To Neo: wow, some more actual agreement, I think the world is coming to an end

I would not advocate throwing a guy like Schremp right in, obviously that is fallacy, what I would do is go acquire an older sniper to play that first line spot (or even a younger guy if I could get him in a good deal) and develop the guy. It's a win-win situation really.

I'm not much of an advocate of guys being restricted to one wing, but that of course is very much up for debate here.

York is on my 2nd line to hide him and offer variation. I'm using the 3 scoring line system, so I need a guy like him to exploit the line that is not checking my #1 line, as well as come out with some firepower after the 1-line has played. I also don't think he's a good enough finisher to fit the --------Hemsky-Dvorak line makeup.

As for the defence, I forgot to say that my list doesn't really indicate a 1-2-3 line system, as I believe defence should not be played that way. Let me explain. All 3 pairings are effectively equal, their order is not important, but as the game wears on, you start sending alternating shifts of the best pair, followed by a regular. This way you achieve the goal of getting your best D out there, at their freshest, when it matters most.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I there were some holes left to be filled, just hard with such a long post. My fingers needed a rest

Last edited by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1: 02-27-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old
03-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Tanko

Boy am I an idiot but I now BELIEVE!!!!

Closed Thread