HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Violetta jump ship to the Wings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2007, 03:57 PM
  #1
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 4,219
vCash: 500
Violetta jump ship to the Wings

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../71121041/1028
Hopefully he will help Detriot with their attendance the same way he helped us.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 05:07 PM
  #2
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
So, Detroit's attendance is down because of the pricing and their economy and the non corporate fan being priced out. I'm sure the jack and jill fan concept will go over very well there.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 05:12 PM
  #3
PredsMan
Registered User
 
PredsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Well, I certainly hope they know what they're getting.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
  #4
Stranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Violetta was failure from the start. He's done absolutely nothing but point fingers at everyone else but himself.

Frankly it was his job to sell corporate tickets and he couldn't get it done here.

Luckily for him, he should have a much easier time in Detroit then here.

Good riddance.

I wonder who else will leave now that Leipold is out?

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:21 PM
  #5
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
I believe that if he stayed, they would have fired him quickly. This is a great opportunity to put in a new corporate-friendly face-- I hope they don't mess the new hire up.

As for Detroit, to quote Mr. T, "I pity the fools".

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 06:23 PM
  #6
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 22,768
vCash: 500
See ya Mr. Jack & Jill Fan

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
  #7
Heaton
Moderator
||||||||||||||||||||
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
This report is premature.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2...executive.html

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
  #8
Paincakes
Registered User
 
Paincakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Knoxville
Country: Scotland
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Ahh, Tennessean reporting at its finest.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:07 AM
  #9
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 50
I hope the story is true! Please let it be true!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 02:37 AM
  #10
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
They've been reporting this for 2 days on 106.

They said Violetta told them that he was taking the job in Detroit and either his last day here is Dec. 5 or his first day there is Dec.5.

Either Violetta got full of himself or Detroit is not yet reporting this (I hope it's just the RW's not reporting it).

However, I hope he goes to Detroit. I hope that their season ticket holders are ready to just get a new bill for tickets with no warning about prices up by $4 or more per game. And that when they look at the new seating chart, they see that the color coded area for their seats is only visible when holding the chart at a certain angle and in the right light.

And I thought about a month ago that someone wrote on here that Violetta was gone when the new group takes over.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 07:05 AM
  #11
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,064
vCash: 500
I don't care where he goes as long as he doesn't stay here.

Addition by subtraction

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:54 PM
  #12
jstreet
Registered User
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I don't care where he goes as long as he doesn't stay here.

Addition by subtraction
Amen, that he is going to Detroit is just icing on the cake.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 04:00 PM
  #13
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
All my interactions with Violetta have been pleasant, but he was the wrong guy for the job.
He may know the sports business well from his experience, but he didn't know what works in THIS market and he was not part of the good ol' boy network.
With a couple bonehead public statements and policies, he became the scapegoat to our attendance woes, fairly or not fairly.

He never got it that Corporate Nashville can't be strong armed, but has to be back-slapped, coddled, and respected to get them on board...not called out publically.

He never got it that hockey-loving Nashvillians hated being called "Jack and Jill fan"...and felt that it was derogatory and condescending......but, he still thinks it is a affectionate, warm term.

Basically he had to go....probably, Our Team Nashville found that out when calling on the business community, and he could see the handwriting on the wall that he would be replaced when the sale was completed. He did the wise thing to resign and announce a new job with someone else before the ax fell.

Now Freeman, Boots, and company desparately needs to get a high profile local marketing guy with business and social ties to the Nashville community that can back-slap and coddle his way to these people and get them on board to make the Predators to be a focus of the business community instead of the mere afterthought at best, or a pariah at worst, that it has been under the Violetta reign.


Last edited by handtrick: 11-22-2007 at 04:18 PM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 05:07 PM
  #14
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,554
vCash: 500
Don't let the door...on second thought Steve, please, let the door hit you on the way out.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 01:19 AM
  #15
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Now Freeman, Boots, and company desparately needs to get a high profile local marketing guy with business and social ties to the Nashville community that can back-slap and coddle his way to these people and get them on board to make the Predators to be a focus of the business community instead of the mere afterthought at best, or a pariah at worst, that it has been under the Violetta reign.
Calling Pred303, calling Pred303...want a second job???

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 11:16 AM
  #16
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Now Freeman, Boots, and company desparately needs to get a high profile local marketing guy with business and social ties to the Nashville community that can back-slap and coddle his way to these people and get them on board to make the Predators to be a focus of the business community instead of the mere afterthought at best, or a pariah at worst, that it has been under the Violetta reign.
I feel like they should consider hiring two people for the job. A local veteran of the good ol' boy network that can do exactly as stated above and a second hockey veteran that knows the sport that can be a liaison to the hardcore fans and instill progressive thought into marketing and ticket sales (sort of a Violetta that never speaks in public).

I think it's interesting that the two posters that get to go on trips with the team (handtrick and pred303) have both posted that they think Violetta is a good guy when theyíve met him. Almost all of the posts Iíve seen of people from the outside that have never met him and only experience him on 104.5 or the Tennessean pretty much despise Violetta. I think thatís an interesting dynamic and it tells me that the franchise could probably use a Violetta-type behind the scenes, but should not have a Violetta-type dealing with the media and local businesses.

Granted, itís not cheap to hire two executives to do the job that many teams hire one to do. But I donít want them to hire only Violetta-lite or only Belle Meade Old Nashville Money Backslapper X. Maybe they are not exclusive and thereís a hockey marketing savvy, Nashville-savvy guy/gal out there, but I fear it will always be one extreme or the other. In the spot weíre in now, Iíd rather have what handtrick described and solidify the corporate support in the short term. Thatís the immediate key to survival.

However, the best way, imo, to solidify the market in the long run is marketing the sport to families, getting kids playing hockey, thus increasing the hockey IQ of the market as they grow, and getting more future managers to choose the Preds when they budget their corporate entertainment without having to coddle because they didnít grow up with hockey. Can ďthe backslapperĒ do that? Itís important to take care of the present, but not by completely ignoring the future. That will be an interesting challenge for Freeman as this market hopefully begins to stabilize.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 09:31 PM
  #17
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,341
vCash: 500
We could have sold more tickets without Violetta than with him.....

Oh wait.......the Predator fanbase did

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:41 AM
  #18
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
I feel like they should consider hiring two people for the job. A local veteran of the good ol' boy network that can do exactly as stated above and a second hockey veteran that knows the sport that can be a liaison to the hardcore fans and instill progressive thought into marketing and ticket sales (sort of a Violetta that never speaks in public).

I think it's interesting that the two posters that get to go on trips with the team (handtrick and pred303) have both posted that they think Violetta is a good guy when theyíve met him. Almost all of the posts Iíve seen of people from the outside that have never met him and only experience him on 104.5 or the Tennessean pretty much despise Violetta. I think thatís an interesting dynamic and it tells me that the franchise could probably use a Violetta-type behind the scenes, but should not have a Violetta-type dealing with the media and local businesses.

Granted, itís not cheap to hire two executives to do the job that many teams hire one to do. But I donít want them to hire only Violetta-lite or only Belle Meade Old Nashville Money Backslapper X. Maybe they are not exclusive and thereís a hockey marketing savvy, Nashville-savvy guy/gal out there, but I fear it will always be one extreme or the other. In the spot weíre in now, Iíd rather have what handtrick described and solidify the corporate support in the short term. Thatís the immediate key to survival.

However, the best way, imo, to solidify the market in the long run is marketing the sport to families, getting kids playing hockey, thus increasing the hockey IQ of the market as they grow, and getting more future managers to choose the Preds when they budget their corporate entertainment without having to coddle because they didnít grow up with hockey. Can ďthe backslapperĒ do that? Itís important to take care of the present, but not by completely ignoring the future. That will be an interesting challenge for Freeman as this market hopefully begins to stabilize.
good post vopats....I don't know the Nashville business community well enough to know if there is one of those combo guys that you are talking about around....I would doubt it....and the expense of two is not ideal as well.

I wonder if some previous player that has settled in the community [like a Jim McKenzie] or a previous one [like Greg Johnson] could be enticed to have a liason type of position [wouldn't even have to be full-time, if they had another main job that they are doing] that wouldn't break the bank......

don't know, just kinda thinking out loud....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.