HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Beer Drinkers Thread

Old
11-22-2007, 07:56 PM
silver surfer

vCash: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
So true, but there are some good Canadian micro-brews out there; Paddock Wood and Bushwakkers in Sask. are great, as well as MacAuslan, Unibroue, and Dieu Du Ciel in Quebec. For the most part though, I'd take most offerings from Great Lakes Brewery, Founders, Bell's, Victory, and many others over what I can get in my area of Canada.
big rock out of calgary is also a good micro-brew...great wheat beer (grasshopper) and their traditional ale and warthog ale are also good

not sure unibroue still qualifies as a canadian micro-brewer...they were bought by sleeman's a few years ago which was subsequently bought by sapporo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin20 View Post
Smithwicks! (Smitticks)

I'm always glad that there is a booth for it at the Wachovia, just a few sections down from my seats. Although it is $7.
nice call on smithwicks...fantastic beer...bass is also excellent...

and if you can find a place that imports polish beer, try 'tyskie' or 'eb'...very good...and they only come in 1/2 litre bottles!!! nice touch...if you get a chance to go to poland, try 'bosman'... they unfortunately don't export that brand...

Last edited by silver surfer: 11-22-2007 at 08:04 PM.
silver surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 07:57 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
With your Flyers in town tonight for the game tomorrow night, thought I would lurk on your board to read your GDT and came upon this jewel.

If you get a chance to try Shiner Bock, take it up. That and Dos Equis XX NFL = No ******* Lime.

Anyway, great thread and here's to no injuires tomorrow night.
shiner bock is great...nice call...i always pick some up when i'm in texas...there's also a good one called 'fat tire'...not sure where it's brewed, but i had it in denver a few years ago...solid brew...

Old
11-22-2007, 08:00 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
not sure unibroue still qualifies as a canadian micro-vrewer...they were bought by sleeman's a few years ago which was subsequently bought by sapporo...
Unibroue intrigues me...from what I've heard and read, it seems to be a high quality producer. A friend and I are making the trip up to Montreal in February for the Flyers/Habs game and I hope to try some of their products while there. Reccomendations?

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 08:07 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
Unibroue intrigues me...from what I've heard and read, it seems to be a high quality producer. A friend and I are making the trip up to Montreal in February for the Flyers/Habs game and I hope to try some of their products while there. Reccomendations?
i've been hoping to try some myself...i can't seem to find it out here in western canada...they're known for having a high alcohol percentage...the one i've heard the most about is 'la fin du monde' (the end of the world)...maybe because it's a 9% brew...

maybe raisy can help?

Old
11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
continental divide*

I am currently enjoying my 7th Fat Tire ale of the evening.

Fat Tire is a micro from New Belgium Brewing in Ft Collins, CO and it's wonderful.

I went to CSU in Ft Collins - GO RAMS! - and this beer has come back East with me.

I used to get in online from Arctic Liquors, but they closed up, so I have one of my best buds ship me a case every month.

continental divide* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by continental divide View Post
I am currently enjoying my 7th Fat Tire ale of the evening.

Fat Tire is a micro from New Belgium Brewing in Ft Collins, CO and it's wonderful.

I went to CSU in Ft Collins - GO RAMS! - and this beer has come back East with me.

I used to get in online from Arctic Liquors, but they closed up, so I have one of my best buds ship me a case every month.

Fat Tire is good stuff... there are a couple of random micro brews that are out in the midwest that are strong. Definitely not the hotbed that the Northeast and Northwest are, but a few good ones.

My parents lived in Colorado for a few years after I was out of college so I'd always get to try a few when I was out for Xmas or Thanksgiving.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 02:24 AM
Ajackalit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
the Northwest region micro-brews (Oregon and Washington) are probably the best in North America, IMO. however, there are definitely some good ones in the Northeast between PA, NJ, NY and New England... I love Magic Hat, for example.
Manny's pale ale is my favorite draft beer.

As for bottled: anything produced by Trappist monks will do, but my favorite is Chimay (blue cap)

Whisky: Anything from Islay......

Ajackalit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Raisy

Quote:
What type/style of beers do you enjoy? Most if not all Unibroue products are Belgian style beers. My favorites are La Terrible, La Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles. They all have higher alcohol content, but it is well hidden.

Raisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Raisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
i've been hoping to try some myself...i can't seem to find it out here in western canada...they're known for having a high alcohol percentage...the one i've heard the most about is 'la fin du monde' (the end of the world)...maybe because it's a 9% brew...

maybe raisy can help?
If you are in Calgary like your profile shows, I've seen various Unibroue products at Willow Park and Kensington Market.

Raisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
What type/style of beers do you enjoy? Most if not all Unibroue products are Belgian style beers. My favorites are La Terrible, La Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles. They all have higher alcohol content, but it is well hidden.
Stouts mostly, and the Imperial variety is my favorate. I already mentioned Brooklyn, which is seasonal, but others include Yeti, Victory, Old Rasputin, and a number of others, all more than worthy. Of course I'd never limit myself to just Stouts, as that would be depriving myself of consuming some great beers,

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 04:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

really hate the fact i cant buy Yuengling up here.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 07:42 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
If you are in Calgary like your profile shows, I've seen various Unibroue products at Willow Park and Kensington Market.
nice! thanks! i'll make sure to hit willow park this weekend...

Old
11-24-2007, 09:15 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:

Canadian beer is grossly overrated.

micro-brews throughout the US own Canadian beer... .

American micros are better than what? Canadian generic? Cause I'm highly doubting that you've tried all the Canadian (or American for that matter) micros. And comparing generic to something crafted in small batches by someone who actually cares how it tastes is hardly a fair comparison at all. Both countries make great micros IMO.

As for generic...are ANY of them actually great?

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*

The Holidays are finally here, *****es.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Turris View Post
American micros are better than what? Canadian generic? Cause I'm highly doubting that you've tried all the Canadian (or American for that matter) micros. And comparing generic to something crafted in small batches by someone who actually cares how it tastes is hardly a fair comparison at all. Both countries make great micros IMO.

As for generic...are ANY of them actually great?
i'll stand by that statement.

they also own most UK beers.

have i tried them all? no, but I've had a pretty good sample from all over through the years... US, Canadian, UK, Belgian, German, and Czech.

my favorite area is the US Pacific Northwest, which I think owns the rest of North America... and sadly, I don't get to drink nearly enough of. really want to make it out for their beer festival some time. nor does my statement imply that there is no good beer in Canada, just that it has a grossly overrated opinion about it because it is largely compared to Bud, Miller, etc. in the US.

and, for the record, i don't drink "generic" beers all that much.

Old
11-24-2007, 01:05 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
The best beer in the world is Moosehead
Yuck.

Quote:
So true, but there are some good Canadian micro-brews out there; Paddock Wood and Bushwakkers in Sask. are great, as well as MacAuslan, Unibroue, and Dieu Du Ciel in Quebec.
They are all very good.

Quote:
i'm a big, big fan of Rogue.
The best for anything but belgian style brewing.

Quote:
La Fin du Monde, Trois Pistoiles, Maudite, Don de Dieu - pretty well anything except Ephemere, which is a fruit-based beer.

Anyways, when it comes to American vs. Canadian "micro"-brews there is no doubt that the American brews have the edge when it comes to strong IPAs, stouts, porters, etc. But I have yet to taste an American micro that produces belgian-style beer like Unibroue does in Quebec.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Anyways, when it comes to American vs. Canadian "micro"-brews there is no doubt that the American brews have the edge when it comes to strong IPAs, stouts, porters, etc. But I have yet to taste an American micro that produces belgian-style beer like Unibroue does in Quebec.
heavyweight brewing company used to make some good stuff, but they've retired since becoming "too big."

personally, i'd rather just have a belgian... as opposed to a "belgian-style." then again, it's very easy to get belgian beer in Philadelphia, so i'm not really reliant on micro's to get my hands on that stuff.

Old
11-24-2007, 01:08 PM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
they also own most UK beers.

Who doesn't? Not a fan (other than some Irish) of UK brew.

[QUOTE=Jester;11333270]
have i tried them all? no, but I've had a pretty good sample from all over through the years... US, Canadian, UK, Belgian, German, and Czech.

QUOTE]

Curious as to which Canadian micros you've tried, as there are some very good ones out there. And of course, if you have 10x the population, you should have 10x the better beer. As I'm sure you well know, a lot of small town micros produce some excellent beer that most people never get to sample.

Quote:
just that it has a grossly overrated opinion about it because it is largely compared to Bud, Miller, etc. in the US.

Agreed, though it's generally Molson and Labatts that's being compared. If I had to chose between goat pizz (Bud and Miller) or fishbowl water (Molson and Labatts), I'd probably chose the latter.

Quote:

and, for the record, i don't drink "generic" beers all that much.

On that I can agree!

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 01:52 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
heavyweight brewing company used to make some good stuff, but they've retired since becoming "too big."

personally, i'd rather just have a belgian... as opposed to a "belgian-style." then again, it's very easy to get belgian beer in Philadelphia, so i'm not really reliant on micro's to get my hands on that stuff.
Actually, Unibroue is very much a belgian beer except it doesn't actually come from the country of Belgium. It even uses a lot of ingredients that are actually from Belgium. The yeast in Unibroue products are really what differs it from true belgians.

We also get a ton of belgians in Edmonton and I've tried more than 200 of them. To be honest I'd rather have a Unibroue than a lot of the originals. So no, I'm not "reliant" on micros.

Old
11-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

The Holidays are finally here, *****es.
Very good beer, if just a little sweeter than I normally like.

Can't go wrong with 11% alcohol either.

Old
11-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Actually, Unibroue is very much a belgian beer except it doesn't actually come from the country of Belgium. It even uses a lot of ingredients that are actually from Belgium. The yeast in Unibroue products are really what differs it from true belgians.

We also get a ton of belgians in Edmonton and I've tried more than 200 of them. To be honest I'd rather have a Unibroue than a lot of the originals. So no, I'm not "reliant" on micros.
it's fake belgian no matter how you swing it... it's Canadians imitating belgian brewery techniques. nothing wrong with it, but it's not the original thing.

neat that Edmonton is getting 'em. Philadelphia is the largest consumer of Belgian beer in the world outside of Belgium. the first keg of Chimay ever tapped outside of its home nation was at 16th and Spruce... just saying, it's easy to find the belgian stuff here... it's actually getting comical how many belgian beer restaurants are popping up in the city.

and, yeah, unibroue makes some good stuff... but i'd still have the leffe's and whatnot of the belgian world... just like i'd rather have the german beer from Munich as opposed to some brewery in North America.

Old
11-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
Very good beer, if just a little sweeter than I normally like.

Can't go wrong with 11% alcohol either.
yes you can... it's very tough to find high % beers that aren't giving away some quality to get the higher alcohol content... you end up with that sweet taste in that range.

this: http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000100.html

will be showing up in Philadelphia at some point this winter at Ludwigs... well worth a try, but it's dangerous as all hell.

Old
11-24-2007, 05:53 PM
bakunin

Astra from St. Pauli - the one and only

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
yes you can... it's very tough to find high % beers that aren't giving away some quality to get the higher alcohol content... you end up with that sweet taste in that range.
hehe, that's not quite what I meant, but yeah, the alcohol % affects the drinkability quite a bit, depending on the style in my experence. It works pretty well for Mad Elf though.

I had an Avery, forget the exact variety, something like 14 or 15% alcohol, made the beer completely disgusting, like drinking torture.

Old
11-24-2007, 06:39 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
and, yeah, unibroue makes some good stuff... but i'd still have the leffe's and whatnot of the belgian world... just like i'd rather have the german beer from Munich as opposed to some brewery in North America.
I agree with you about Unibroue in that I'd rather have a Rochefort if I had the choice but the difference in price is substantial. However, most offerings by Unibroue are far superior to Leffe IMO. Leffe is largely considered to be the bottom of the barrel in Belgium. It tastes nothing like it did 10 years ago.