HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[GDT 21:] 11/23/07 Capitals vs Flyers

Old
11-23-2007, 05:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if it was against nearly any other team in the league it would have been a bad loss.
Still is a bad loss in my vision. The Richards line, and the Kukkonen/Rory pairing did a masterful job of keeping Ovechkin off the board. When you're playing a team that is basically one solid scoring line, your go-to guys on D did their job.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 05:57 PM
continental divide*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
and cannon scores a clutch goal.
Mike Richards only scores in one situation.....

.......when his team needs him too!

This kid is something else. It's been fun watching his progression, and here's to hoping Homer gets him locked up long term very soon.

continental divide* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Still is a bad loss in my vision. The Richards line, and the Kukkonen/Rory pairing did a masterful job of keeping Ovechkin off the board. When you're playing a team that is basically one solid scoring line, your go-to guys on D did their job.
stupid penalty by Hartnell, and horrible turnover by Randy Jones were the main stories of the scoring.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
I take it i'm fired from this position?

Nikkowar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Kaktus*

Sens tomorrow?

This team is so tired and Frank will start in goal...

Man o man..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:50 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Sens tomorrow?

Man o man..
nitty was decent last start though.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Sens tomorrow?

Man o man..
Frank might be in, but Alfresson's out.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 11:17 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzapie View Post
I take it i'm fired from this position?
i wouldn't worry too much. we probably used up your good luck beating the canes.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 11:31 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
didnt Chris Simon score agaisnt us as well?
Not to mention Domi's very first of his career. Anyone else in attendance for his ****dick stick-ride?

Maybe being the bsb's we bring out the best in the other guys' enforcers.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 11:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Not to mention Domi's very first of his career. Anyone else in attendance for his ****dick stick-ride?.
ouch
thats gotta suck

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Anyone else think Timmeh's +/- thing is ****ing stupid?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 01:03 AM
flyersguy33*

was at the game today and im not sure if we had a single decent breakout all game. they couldnt break the puck out of the ****ing zone. all they would do is throw it up against the boards and the point men would keep it in every time. the only way they got the puck out was by flipping it high over the defense. Not a bad comeback though after being down 3-0

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 01:34 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I couldn't make heads or tales out of what the hell he was trying to gauge. It's like he made up his own system to waste bandwidth.

Here are a few more musings from Timmy that I thought to be stupid.
Quote:
3) More offense from several players.
They have nine players on pace for 10 or more goals (more than the 2004 Flyers finished with), and 16 different players notching a goal or more. With Gagnč coming back, Hartnell improving, etc. that number is only going to improve.
Quote:
4) More consistent effort from Marty Biron on nights when he's not his best
Even when Marty's at his worst, the Flyers still have a fighting chance. This afternoon proved that. The game against Carolina proved that. He let in a few softies, but came through with some clutch saves to keep the team in it. That's consistent, isn't it?

Old
11-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Jester

disregard any and all analytical writing that Timmeh P does.

Old
11-24-2007, 10:45 AM
Darken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
It's beyond stupid, I've never been able to make heads or tails of it. His recent explanation makes it even more idiotic...He says it's based on his 'reality and perception. Most of his reporting is senseless and irrevelant, too bad the Inquirer hasn't axed him yet...

Darken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 11:16 AM
txpd

I know this is probably not going to ease your pain much, but I thought I would offer some perspective on the game yesterday.

I know you guys think your guys threw a clinker yesterday, but the reality is that win or lose with very few exceptions every Capitals game this season has looked just like that. They come out and control the play in the first period. If they score, they continue that control beyond the first period and win the game. IF they don't and they have had real problems finishing their chances with Semin and Clark out of the lineup, they lose.

They scored on that power play and they won the game.

Teams almost always win after a coaching change and you guys had the misfortune of being first up after the coaching change.

Bottom line is that Nylander and Ovechkin are both one man puck possession teams. They play on different lines and so its hard to get the puck. Backstrom has the same sort of skill and was on a different line than them in this game. Nylander and Backstrom are no real threat to score when they have the puck, but its hard to get it away from them and the Caps play to that strenth.

Anyway...I just thought I would tell you guys that the Flyers didn't tank the game. That is what a Caps game looks like and your guys just came in after the coaching change.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 11:31 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1653
How about the same page, boys.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...7-1445875.html

It's overtime, the opponent isn't in the same division and hardly a threat in the conference standings.

So why not go for a broke? Send everybody on the attack and try to earn an extra point. If a team like the lowly Washington Capitals should win, so what?

Flyers coach John Stevens and one of his players, Jeff Carter, seem to have slightly different opinions on that approach.

Stevens believes success in OT starts with good defensive play. Carter gives the impression the time calls for a bit more risk-taking.

In Friday's game against the Caps, in overtime, the Flyers appeared to be employing Carter's strategy.

The move kind of backfired because superstar Alex Ovechkin wound up stealing the puck and setting up the game-winner in a 4-3 Cap victory at the Wachovia Center.

Ovechkin essentially intercepted a Carter pass intended for Randy Jones and went the distance to set up Nicklas Backstrom's goal at 1:55 of OT.

“You definitely want to be aware of your own end,” Carter said later, “but it is overtime and you want to go out there and end the game.

“You don't want to just sit back and wait for a tie. You want to go out there and put the puck on the net. But on the other hand, you definitely want to be aware of them.”

Stevens prefers a more cautious philosophy.

“I'm a firm believer —- and I think we have to grasp this concept — the better you play defense four-on-four, the way more opportunities you get,” Stevens said.

“You see today, we turn the puck over and it comes right back at us. If you buy into that concept of short shifts, play hard, turn pucks over — that's when you get your opportunities with the open ice out there.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Jester

alright everyone,

defend that Stevens coaching moment. 90% of last season under Stevens. training camp under Stevens. now late November of a season and Jeff Carter and Stevens are saying two completely different things about a rather important element of the league (getting extra points in OT/SO).

btw, Carter is the one who said that... but he's not alone in playing that way in OT.

Old
11-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
alright everyone,

defend that Stevens coaching moment. 90% of last season under Stevens. training camp under Stevens. now late November of a season and Jeff Carter and Stevens are saying two completely different things about a rather important element of the league (getting extra points in OT/SO).

btw, Carter is the one who said that... but he's not alone in playing that way in OT.
He's not talking about trapping, just about taking care of their goaltender when a chance is surrendered (which they failed to do). I don't see anything wrong with it.

In fact, I'd say he was right after seeing that Jeff Carter was on the ice when the game was lost.

Old
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
He's not talking about trapping, just about taking care of their goaltender when a chance is surrendered (which they failed to do). I don't see anything wrong with it.

In fact, I'd say he was right after seeing that Jeff Carter was on the ice when the game was lost.
Carter is talking aggressive.

Stevens is talking passive.

they're talking different approaches to four-on-four. that being said, I think they're both wrong. I think the key to four-on-four play is puck control, but given that this team is incapable of that maybe they're right to fall back on one of those two concepts.

Old
11-24-2007, 02:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Carter is talking aggressive.

Stevens is talking passive.

they're talking different approaches to four-on-four. that being said, I think they're both wrong. I think the key to four-on-four play is puck control, but given that this team is incapable of that maybe they're right to fall back on one of those two concepts.
exactly. you have to take care of the puck. or at least try to. you have to know who is on the ice if you are going to make a high risk, needless pass.

But like you said, with this team what exactly is puck posession?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote