HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tactical Question

Old
11-25-2007, 03:36 PM
MattyW

vCash: 500
Tactical Question

My brother plays high school ice hockey and being that I used to play when I was in HS, I am like the assistant coach because I know a lot of the kids and the coach asked me to come down and help out with practices and stuff. We had a situation the other night during the final minute of the game where the coach disagreed with me and this can also apply to the NHL so I was wondering what you guys' take would be.

The situation: you are up by 1 goal with a little more than a minute to play. The opposing team is getting ready to pull the goalie to get the 6 on 5. My opinion was to tell the kids, the first legit scoring opportunity the other team has in our zone, haul them down, tackle them, do whatever you can and take the penalty. That way, we are free to ice the puck and take a huge chunk of time off the clock. The coach disagreed, told us not to take the penalty. Now it is US high school, so the kids are not very good at this level, the other team couldnt get the puck in the zone anyway, and we wound up winning.

Now in the NHL, there is a big difference because when you ice, obviously you cannot change, so taking the penalty allows you to legally ice the puck without compunction. However, you are also putting yourself in a 2 man disadvantage, but I feel the ability to ice is paramount to the man advantage.

What is your take on this? What would you do if you were an NHL coach?

MattyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Semper Sens

I don't think you would ever want to purposely take a penalty in a game that close unless it directly stops a goal.

If you only have four guys to their six it will be more difficult to get possession and get the puck out, never mind having enough time to turn around and ice it.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 04:55 PM
RobertKron

Why would you ever want to intentionally go down by two men? Especially with a 6-on-4. That's a hell of a lot of traffic in front of the net, and all the other team would need is one shot from the undoubtedly open perimeter man bouncing off of any number of the many legs and sticks that would undoubtedly end up congregating in front of the net and going past your totally screened goalie.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyW View Post
My brother plays high school ice hockey and being that I used to play when I was in HS, I am like the assistant coach because I know a lot of the kids and the coach asked me to come down and help out with practices and stuff. We had a situation the other night during the final minute of the game where the coach disagreed with me and this can also apply to the NHL so I was wondering what you guys' take would be.

The situation: you are up by 1 goal with a little more than a minute to play. The opposing team is getting ready to pull the goalie to get the 6 on 5. My opinion was to tell the kids, the first legit scoring opportunity the other team has in our zone, haul them down, tackle them, do whatever you can and take the penalty. That way, we are free to ice the puck and take a huge chunk of time off the clock. The coach disagreed, told us not to take the penalty. Now it is US high school, so the kids are not very good at this level, the other team couldnt get the puck in the zone anyway, and we wound up winning.

Now in the NHL, there is a big difference because when you ice, obviously you cannot change, so taking the penalty allows you to legally ice the puck without compunction. However, you are also putting yourself in a 2 man disadvantage, but I feel the ability to ice is paramount to the man advantage.

You have a point, but I don't think it is strong enough to warrant taking a penalty unless it saves a goal, or an excellent chance, or a good chance, or somewhat of a chance, depending on how much time is left.

I do think your point is valid enough to warrant a rule change to not allow icing during any penalty drawn with less than 2 minutes left.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post

I do think your point is valid enough to warrant a rule change to not allow icing during any penalty drawn with less than 2 minutes left.
There was a proposed rule change in USAH to not allow dumping the puck (enforce icing) during a penalty kill, but it got shot down.

Anyway, I'd side with the coach. Going down to a 6 on 4 is a pretty big disadvantage, and if the team can't clear the puck, chances would be good they'd get tired enough to allow a goal.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:25 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyW View Post

Interesting....

Taking the penalty would also allow your guys to try and dump the puck into an empty net. At the HS level with about a minute or so left...it might be worth a shot. Think of this way. You dump that puck out and come close to the net. The other team may not be as aggressive as they need to be, or should be.

It's risky, but it's not all that crazy. I might give a shot if I were in that situation. At the NHL level. The only way I would consider something like this would be if there were less then 30 seconds on the clock.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nah, I'd just have them try and gain center and dump it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
EmptyNetter

You're either a genius or a madman. Maybe both.

Giving them a 6 on 4 in your end makes it very difficult to clear the puck out of the zone. I don't think it's worth the risk. IMO the best option is to keep the puck down their end so their goalie won't dare leave crease.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Nosebleed Section

No man a 6 on 5 really is hella hard to score theres just so much **** going on and if you ice it and get a face off its really not a big deal.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Sensfanman

Of course if it saves a goal, you do what ever you can. Better to take on a 20% PP than need your goalie to make a 1/100 miracle save. However intentionally taking a meaningless penalty is foolish but I think we all know that. If you want to solve this issue, have the team practice icing the puck on net from their end. It's tricky and hard to do under pressure but it's really effective when your in exactly the situation you described. Worst comes to worse you just ice it and take the small break and make sure your centers are pretty good off the draw.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:48 AM
Puckboy

If you have the chance to ice the puck in that situation you want to put it high and hard off the boards not up the middle where it can be picked off. Give a group of HS a chance to score on a 6 on 4 and the puck is going up the middle everytime. Bad move in my opinion, make sure the kids know how hard to shut the puck to prevent it from being icing.

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
MattyW

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be making sure we get some work on this done next practice. Problem is, practice time is so hard to come by. We only get an hour a week and twice already the practice was cancelled because they double booked the ice.

I will be working with them on going gently off the glass in a pressure situation. And of course as I said in the original post, don't just take the penalty for no reason, but if it prevents a legit scoring chance, and I still believe that to be the best scenario.

MattyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Jake1999

even in high school leagues the players most likely can still shoot, now if you have a 6 on 4 its too risky. Id be pist if my coach told me to do that

Jake1999 is offline   Reply With Quote