HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT: The Beer Drinkers Thread

Old
11-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
I agree with you about Unibroue in that I'd rather have a Rochefort if I had the choice but the difference in price is substantial. However, most offerings by Unibroue are far superior to Leffe IMO. Leffe is largely considered to be the bottom of the barrel in Belgium. It tastes nothing like it did 10 years ago.
well, i was 16 ten years ago and not buying imported beer

i like Leffe Brune a lot, so-so on the blond... i enjoy Kwak at times... etc. there's a belgian beer emporium in philly which is very fun to experiment with.

i also like Flemish Sour Ales under the right circumstances... gotta be in the mood.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 07:19 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
well, i was 16 ten years ago and not buying imported beer

i like Leffe Brune a lot, so-so on the blond... i enjoy Kwak at times... etc. there's a belgian beer emporium in philly which is very fun to experiment with.

i also like Flemish Sour Ales under the right circumstances... gotta be in the mood.
Yeah, when you're 16 any beer that isn't non-alcoholic is pretty sweet

I also enjoy the brune - I don't like the blond or the tripel very much. As for Kwak I'm hoping for a gift-pack with the glass for Christmas. But for some reason my spouse thinks that buying glassware is a waste of money

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
Yeah, when you're 16 any beer that isn't non-alcoholic is pretty sweet

I also enjoy the brune - I don't like the blond or the tripel very much. As for Kwak I'm hoping for a gift-pack with the glass for Christmas. But for some reason my spouse thinks that buying glassware is a waste of money
I find the Kwak glass to be utterly ridiculous. I think i might like one purely for the comedic value, but, seriously, who thought that was a good idea? a drunk person...

Old
11-25-2007, 06:11 PM
Gert B Frobe

Victory is always winning awards not that it means much. I like imperial stout - Victory made one called Storm King that was awesome - not sure they do anymore. Weyerbacher has an awesome raspbery imperial stout as well. There are a couple Victory booths at the Wachovia Center - might as well catch a buzz for you $7.

For what it's worth I prefer some of Weyerbacher or Troeg's beers over Victory.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
yes you can... it's very tough to find high % beers that aren't giving away some quality to get the higher alcohol content... you end up with that sweet taste in that range.

this: http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000100.html

will be showing up in Philadelphia at some point this winter at Ludwigs... well worth a try, but it's dangerous as all hell.
I don't live in Philly, but let me know when exactly that happens.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 07:54 PM
DMBgags

Send a message via AIM to DMBgags
When enjoying a few cold ones at your house, do you guys pour into glasses or drink straight from the bottle? I have a few Flyers pint glasses that I got from a local bar that I pour into. I think it tastes much better when it is poured.

DMBgags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I don't live in Philly, but let me know when exactly that happens.
can never be certain, and i don't make it down to Ludwigs as much as i used to. one of the daily news guys wrote about it last year when it did show up... it's usually late december, or early january if i recall correctly.

Old
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBgags View Post
When enjoying a few cold ones at your house, do you guys pour into glasses or drink straight from the bottle? I have a few Flyers pint glasses that I got from a local bar that I pour into. I think it tastes much better when it is poured.
glass is glass... though pouring should release some of the taste. hefe's should always be poured.

you also drink faster from a glass.

Old
11-25-2007, 09:50 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I've got Stone (Double *******, Old Gaurdian), Weyerbacher (Insanity), Avery (Maharaja), Dogfish Head (120 IPA, 90 IPA, Olde School), Great Divide (Old Ruffian, Hercules), Sierra Nevada (Bigfoot, Celebration), and Lindeman's (Kriek, my wife's favorite) in my fridge right now plus a Cantillon Lou Pepe 2004 (Framboise, for a special occasion) I'm saving in the basement. I guess the hop head in me took control on my last run to the distibutor this weekend.

I'm gonna take on the 120 IPA tomorrow, which should certainly be interesting. From what I've heard it's very different from any other Imperial IPA out there. It'll also be the strongest beer I've ever had at 21% abv.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 11:20 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I've got Stone (Double *******, Old Gaurdian), Weyerbacher (Insanity), Avery (Maharaja), Dogfish Head (120 IPA, 90 IPA, Olde School), Great Divide (Old Ruffian, Hercules), Sierra Nevada (Bigfoot, Celebration), and Lindeman's (Kriek, my wife's favorite) in my fridge right now plus a Cantillon Lou Pepe 2004 (Framboise, for a special occasion) I'm saving in the basement. I guess the hop head in me took control on my last run to the distibutor this weekend.

I'm gonna take on the 120 IPA tomorrow, which should certainly be interesting. From what I've heard it's very different from any other Imperial IPA out there. It'll also be the strongest beer I've ever had at 21% abv.
The 120 is absolutely disgusting in my opinion. I love IPAs (the Dogfish Head is right up near the top of my list too), but that 120 was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBgags
If I feel like really treating myself, I'll pour it since I agree that it does taste better. However, normally if I'm just having a few beers during the game or something like that, I go from the bottle out of laziness even though I'm usually drinking something good. Like Jester said, glass is glass and it still tastes good.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Ahh a topic worthy of a sticky. Here goes: I love the microbreweries around our area, Weyerbacher, Victory. Smuttynose and Stone from further away. Unibroue, La Fin du Monde, Trois Pistoiles, Maudite and La Terrible. I like Skull Splitter from Scotland. Maredsous 8 Dark Brune a Belgain abbey ale.
I prefer Belgain style ales Brown or Blonde doesn't matter.

Oh yeah almost forgot Chouffe.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Ommegang Brewery has a sampler of 3 750ml bottles for only 22 bucks and it comes with a free glass. A really good value. IMO, they are they best Belgian beers you can get outside of, well, Belgium and they are generally a fair sight cheaper than Chimay for very close quality.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 04:57 PM
DMBgags

Send a message via AIM to DMBgags
My Step-Dad just picked up a case of Otter Creek Copper Ale. It is brewed in Vermont, Middlebury Vermont to be exact. It is quite freaking tasty.

DMBgags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 07:21 PM
sharkeyanti

Yuengling man through and through myself. The Black and Tan is awesome, but they kinda messed up on Yuengling Premium. When you have to balance good beer and good cost, Yuengling is the perfect choice. It's good enough to enjoy as is, and affordable enough (near Philly) to buy a lot of it for a party. This stuff even tastes good out of the can!

It's kind of interesting how Yuengling can sell so well (so it seems to me) without a hint of TV advertising. I'm sure the big breweries outsell Yuengling in the Philly area, but they do get a pretty big following nonetheless.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 11:58 AM
radioflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes4me View Post
With your Flyers in town tonight for the game tomorrow night, thought I would lurk on your board to read your GDT and came upon this jewel.

If you get a chance to try Shiner Bock, take it up. That and Dos Equis XX NFL = No ******* Lime. .
I second Dos Equis lager in the green bottle the amber is not bad. another quality beer from Mexico is Sol a very good summer beer, lite and a good taste. it takes after corona a bit but not as skunky. by the way I do not know how acurate it is but I spent some time in Mexico and limes were rubbed on the rims of the glass in local cantinas to keep flies out of your beer, not to mask the taste of it.

quiality dark beers Murphy's irish stout, Guiness and Newcastle brown ale top my list.

radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 02:58 AM
harmonica

Hey guys, check out the Quebec beer La Fin Du Monde, I guarantee you will like it. Plus it is 9% alcohol.

harmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 03:27 PM
sharkeyanti

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonica View Post
Hey guys, check out the Quebec beer La Fin Du Monde, I guarantee you will like it. Plus it is 9% alcohol.
Interesting name for an alcoholic beverage, not sure if I'd be real inclined to risk it haha.

sharkeyanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Death of a Martian

I drank 16 beer yesterday as sort of a send off.

I'm quiting for a while.

and surprisingly, no hangover today.

but I did get an infraction here last night for something I said to a guy the was trying to derail a thread that I made. amazingly, he didn't even get a warning.... what a surprise!

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 04:05 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeyanti View Post
Interesting name for an alcoholic beverage, not sure if I'd be real inclined to risk it haha.
I'm quite inclined. I'm also going to Montreal in 6 days. If I'm posting here again around Christmastime you'll know I'm OK.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
scottymac223

Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeyanti View Post
The translation of La Fin Du Monde is the "the End of the World". It's readily available in So. Jersey in both the 750mL bottle and the 4 pack 12 oz bottles.

I just had Victory Storm King Imperial Stout over the weekend. NICE!

I can't wait for Weyerbacher Winter Ale to hit the stores cause it rocks

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
flyers2007*

Did anyone ever have Butt Monkey, if not give it a shot . pretty good

flyers2007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Hugh Madbrough

I haven't had their winter beer yet but Troeg's brewery (PA) is awesome. The Hopback is my favorite beer at the moment, so damn good.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Luceni

Sry, I'm from Austria and the beers from Amerika I have drunken all have been not good.

I tried out "Corona", "Bud Light", and "Desperados" and I've to say that the quality of that beers are rediclous.

I won't say that your beer is "undrinkable", but I'd love to see you all drinking any Austrian beer. All Americans I know who drank austrian beer told me that your beer isn't as good as our beer.

I don't know, but maybe you should give a shot on "Stiegl", "Zipfer", "Starkenberger", "Franziskaner Weißbier". And I swear you will never drink anything else again.

Last edited by Luceni: 12-10-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:09 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
I tried out "Corona", "Bud Light", and "Desperados" and I've to say that the quality of that beers are rediclous.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2007, 01:23 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Sry, I'm from and the beers from Amerika I have drunken all have been not good.

I won't say that your beer is "undrinkable", but I'd love to see you all drinking any Austrian beer. All Americans I know who drank austrian beer told me that your beer isn't as good as our beer.

I don't know, but maybe you should give a shot on "Stiegl", "Zipfer", "Starkenberger", "Franziskaner Weißbier". And I swear you will never drink anything else again.
Read this thread a little more closely, and you will see examples of many American beers that actually *are* good. That stuff you tried doesn't count.

And: Corona is Mexican, and is meant to be drunk when it is 100 degrees outside. That's 38C for you.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote