HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

rec league/next step up

Old
11-26-2007, 05:23 AM
willfenix

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to willfenix
rec league/next step up

Hey everybody. I'm a 22 year old male playing in the A (top) league for the local adult hockey rec league in my city. It's fun but I've been interested in getting into some better competition - we only have games on Sunday and it's very loosely organized, no practices or anything. I know that for the level I'm playing at I am at least good enough to take a step up into a league that has checking and is a little more intense, hopefully something where there are practices and it's more of a competitive team environment rather than what seems like an organized pickup league. I live in the Chicago area. I'm just wondering what is generally the next step up, I keep hearing about beer leagues and stuff and was curious to get more info. Thanks for your time, hope to hear back.

willfenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfenix View Post
Hey everybody. I'm a 22 year old male playing in the A (top) league for the local adult hockey rec league in my city. It's fun but I've been interested in getting into some better competition - we only have games on Sunday and it's very loosely organized, no practices or anything. I know that for the level I'm playing at I am at least good enough to take a step up into a league that has checking and is a little more intense, hopefully something where there are practices and it's more of a competitive team environment rather than what seems like an organized pickup league. I live in the Chicago area. I'm just wondering what is generally the next step up, I keep hearing about beer leagues and stuff and was curious to get more info. Thanks for your time, hope to hear back.
I think you're already in a 'beer league'.
In Canada, the only step up for someone your age would be Senior A hockey. It's semi-pro where teams compete for the Allen Cup. There are many retired NHLers that play in this league including the Courtnall brothers and up to a couple of years ago Rick Vaive. I believe Pat Falloon even won an Allen Cup championship a few years ago with a team in Quebec.

Other than that, it's beer leagues for you. The only thing separating one beer league from another is talent and organization. If you don't like the one you're in, find another.

EDIT: Found these on the web:

http://www.gcahl.com/
http://www.hna.com/leagues/homeHNA.c...=2296&link=HNA

Last edited by Hank19: 11-26-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 05:38 PM
RobertKron

I'd imagine that it would be pretty tough to find a rec league that allows bodychecking, since the insurance is probably way more, and everyone has jobs to go to in the morning.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
I'd imagine that it would be pretty tough to find a rec league that allows bodychecking, since the insurance is probably way more, and everyone has jobs to go to in the morning.
Yeah, $30 for USA Hockey insurance isn't going to cover you much...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 05:36 PM
POTS

Find a private hockey/skating club...If you are playing on an A team surely someone is a member of one. Where I live there are several, most have outdoor rinks and their "A" teams play full check etc. atleast we do here...We also have "A" leagues that are full check, mostly in the summer when the college guys are home and the guys who are still living the dream need to keep skating to stay in shape.

Pots

POTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 08:56 PM
droller*

mmm... if your in the top tier it sounds like you are already in "the show" .

you might find the level of compeition to be less due to living in Chicago. I know that in the Vancouver area.. some very good hockey players play Division 1/2 (top division for beer leagues). Most of the guys have played some sort of junior hockey.. or at least the AAA levels of minor hockey.

You won't find many contact leagues due to risk of injury and insurance policies. As a player, I would stay out of contact leagues as there are always complete morons out there trying to run someone... you have a job to goto in the morning. It isn't worth the risk of not being able to work for 6 weeks if u mess ur shoulder up or something.

If you find your level of competition too easy... maybe start doin a few more 12oz curls before the games . I've mastered the 12oz curl before a game!

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote