HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

TOP 5 Finishers in the League.

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 07:52 PM
The Hamburglar

vCash: 500
This is a very hard question. You have to watch a lot of games...and I mean A LOT of games of numerous teams. It's basically impossible since many play at the same time. Since I watch all the Sens game, I can say that Havlat is the best finisher on the team. He usually buries his chances. Alfredsson I would rank 2nd among forwards. Hossa gets so many chances (a lot created by himself) but doesn't always finish. If he did, he'd be leading the NHL in goals.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:30 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Ryder could be there. He barely misses. and if he does, he gets 9 chances a game to get at least 1 in.

Old
03-30-2004, 08:50 PM
sehnsucht

watch a flames game and see how many nets Iginla misses with that big shot of his, he could definately improve his finishing skills

not trying to diss the guy, he's one of my favorite players, but he still needs to work on his awesome skills

Old
03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Elias deserve to be on any top 5!
he's incredible !!!

Old
03-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
There's no need to be so sensitive about this because this wasn't a personal attack on your thread, and by extension, a knock on you. But thanks for helping prove my point.
Suuuuuuuuuuuuure pal. Looks to me like people are making some interesting points.

And it seems to me like the majority of Sens fans seem to agree with me that Havlat is the best finisher in Ottawa. No bickering here...maybe you can find another thread to try an ruin.

:lol

Old
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Suuuuuuuuuuuuure pal. Looks to me like people are making some interesting points.

And it seems to me like the majority of Sens fans seem to agree with me that Havlat is the best finisher in Ottawa. No bickering here...maybe you can find another thread to try an ruin.

:lol
Wow. This has to be on purpose at this point because you continue to help prove a part of my point.

I agree with the Sens fans who think Havlat is the best finisher on Ottawa.

Last edited by HF2002: 03-30-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old
03-30-2004, 11:09 PM
emmjayb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain
Over the past four seasons.

Naslund: 162 Goals
Iginla: 157 Goals

The rest of the guys seem a level or so below these guys, I don't think any list is complete without both Iginla and Naslund.
Wish I could agree on Iginla (be a Flames fan in Calgary), but he gets there on a heavy dose of skill around the net... and lots hard work. If you've seen him on a penalty shot or breakaway, though, you know that he's just not is the same league (as a pure finisher) as the very top guys. Lemieux is still an active player in the league, right? I might go with him... though he's more of a playmaker than ever now.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:45 PM
ICX*

It's hard to take a list seriously when 2 of the current top 4 goalscorers are omitted.

IMO, lists like this shouldn't favor ability over results. Yes, Havlat has all world talent and is a remarkable finisher, but to put him first based on ability when Jarome Iginla is 2 years removed from the Richard and is currently 2nd in goals scored is weak. That's not even taking into consideration the fact that Iginla is the fulcrum of his offense despite being the focus of the opposition's defensive schemes night in and night out. The Sens have 3 30 goal scorers. Iginla is 21 goals ahead of the Flames' second leading goal-man - Shean Donovan.

Same goes for Elias. It took 2 years to realize that he didn't have Sykora and Arnott to finish his pretty passes, which had been getting lost in the skates of less-talented teammates ever since the Friesen deal. He currently stands at 37 goals on a club with one other 20 goal scorer, Brian Gionta.

More credit should be given to guys who carry the offensive burdens of their teams - especially guys like Iginla, a proven 50 goal scorer by age 26.

Old
03-31-2004, 01:12 AM
monster_bertuzzi

-Hull
-Naslund
-Hejduk
-Iginla
-Sundin

Old
03-31-2004, 01:54 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICX
It's hard to take a list seriously when 2 of the current top 4 goalscorers are omitted.

IMO, lists like this shouldn't favor ability over results. Yes, Havlat has all world talent and is a remarkable finisher, but to put him first based on ability when Jarome Iginla is 2 years removed from the Richard and is currently 2nd in goals scored is weak. That's not even taking into consideration the fact that Iginla is the fulcrum of his offense despite being the focus of the opposition's defensive schemes night in and night out. The Sens have 3 30 goal scorers. Iginla is 21 goals ahead of the Flames' second leading goal-man - Shean Donovan.

Same goes for Elias. It took 2 years to realize that he didn't have Sykora and Arnott to finish his pretty passes, which had been getting lost in the skates of less-talented teammates ever since the Friesen deal. He currently stands at 37 goals on a club with one other 20 goal scorer, Brian Gionta.

More credit should be given to guys who carry the offensive burdens of their teams - especially guys like Iginla, a proven 50 goal scorer by age 26.
Unforunately that is not what I was aiming for in this thread. I'm refering to- if a player has an open shot- (ie. great scoring chance) who is the best at finishing it off with a goal. It's not about who creates opportunities with their size and strength, and bangs in rebounds, and simply just scores a lot of goals. It's about the player who won't miss the net, or have the puck jump over his stick, when he gets a quality chance he buries it almost always-that's the type of player I'm looking for.

I constantly see Havlat just pick corners, and make goalies look like they have no reflexes. His release and accuracy are top-notch...imo

Put it this way, Nash leads the league in goals, but if you compare his finishing skills to Kovalchik for example, I'd say Kovalchuk is a far better finisher.

Old
03-31-2004, 01:55 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Unforunately that is not what I was aiming for in this thread. I'm refering to- if a player has an open shot- (ie. great scoring chance) who is the best at finishing it off with a goal. It's not about who creates opportunities with their size and strength, and bangs in rebounds, and simply just scores a lot of goals. It's about the player who won't miss the net, or have the puck jump over his stick, when he gets a quality chance he buries it almost always-that's the type of player I'm looking for.

I constantly see Havlat just pick corners, and make goalies look like they have no reflexes. His release and accuracy are top-notch...imo

Put it this way, Nash leads the league in goals, but if you compare his finishing skills to Kovalchik for example, I'd say Kovalchuk is a far better finisher.
Either way, it's an opinion, if you think Nash is the better finisher or if you think Iginla deserves to be on the list by all means just list it.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:02 AM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
As long as you're only counting chances within 10 feet of the net, the clear winner is Gary Roberts.

But seriously I would pick Lemieux ( hey he's still in the league ), Naslund, Iginla, Kovalchuk, and comedy homer pick Mogilny.

And although I hate him with the passion of a thousand burning suns, I believe Roenick deserves at least a mention.

Last edited by Cap'n Flavour: 03-31-2004 at 02:08 AM.
Old
03-31-2004, 02:27 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Andrew Peters deserves honorable mention. Y'all see him finish that breakaway on the empty net??! Mofo's form was flawless!
Man did homie FLY on that play. No disrespect to Peters intended but his skating stride was pretty freakin funny on that play.

It is obvious the reaso he is in the NHL and it aint his skills. Having said that, he is going to be a top 3 heavy within 5 years.

As for the thread itself, gotta go with Kovalchuk at the top by a good margin. He can ury them in many different ways.

If healthy I would say Lemiuex makes the list easily. Then again, when you speak of Lemiuex and healthy, there is nothing easy about that.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:33 AM
ahmon

when i heard the word finisher, this is what popped up( no order):

naslund
hull
hejduk
mogilny
elias

Old
03-31-2004, 02:40 AM
VanCanuck

Top 5 Sens
1) Havlat
2) Hossa
3) Spezza
4) Alfie
5) White

Top 5 league
1) Havlat
2) Datsyuk
3) Kowalchuk
4) Nash
5) Forsberg

Old
03-31-2004, 03:18 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
129 SOG Morrow (25g, 0.32gpg, 19.4%)
Morrow's name should not even be on the radar when discussing finishers. Morrow is your prototype garbage goal scorer, for every goal he scores, he gets another scar.

Guerin is the Stars only candidate if Modano wouldn't have had such a lousy season.

Old
03-31-2004, 06:26 AM
Faaxinho

Send a message via MSN to Faaxinho
Kurri...no, wait...Selšnne... no?

I'd say Kovalchuck or Iginla.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:56 AM
All-Star

In no particular order: