HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lupul

Old
07-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junius View Post
You also want to sign Potulny. It seems to me that either Upshall or Lupul should be moved for a defenceman. Either one should return a defenseman that can play.

Otherwise there are not enough pucks to go around for Umberger, Carter, Hartnell, Richards and other young guys like Eager and Potulny.

Lupul for Lucas Krajicek makes sense. Maybe some picks to round it out.

How about Matt Cooke, Lukas Krajicek and Corey Schneider for Upshall and Lupul?
Upshall isn't going anywhere. We have enough defensemen.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
flyersfan64*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
I guess I could see that if you buy into the rumors about Cherepanov having a poor work ethic. I haven't heard anything about that from any Russian sources, but there may be something to it considering how many GMs passed on him. I'd compare Lupul to a better Brendl. Both bad skaters, (Brendl was much, much worse) yet both have great shots. Lupul doesn't have as bad of a work ethic as Brendl, but I see some similarities between the two.

I'm hoping he has a similar turnaround to Dany Heatley. Heatley was a one dimensional liability while with Atlanta, but completely turned his game around when he went to Ottawa. Obviously Lupul isn't nearly as talented as Heatley, but I never thought Heatley would become the player he is today. I hope that Lupul can turn it around in the same fashion, I just think we should have been able to get a very safe player with less upside than Lupul for a talent like Pitkanen.
heatley was doin fine he had to leave for off the ice issues not because of any liability or anything. didnt he win ROY.

flyersfan64* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan64 View Post
heatley was doin fine he had to leave for off the ice issues not because of any liability or anything. didnt he win ROY.
He won the Calder trophy because Kovalchuk got injured. I didn't say he left because he was a liability, but he was a complete one way player in Atlanta. That's acceptable when you can put up the type of numbers Heatley does, but now he still puts up those type of numbers and has some semblance of a two way game. He's a much better player now.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
He won the Calder trophy because Kovalchuk got injured. I didn't say he left because he was a liability, but he was a complete one way player in Atlanta. That's acceptable when you can put up the type of numbers Heatley does, but now he still puts up those type of numbers and has some semblance of a two way game. He's a much better player now.
I think he's a worse player then his last full year in Atlanta, actually. He's still able to put up the numbers because he's playing on the best line in the league and with one of the 3 or 4 most gifted playmakers in the game. However, I find that he shies away from the area's in which he has to pay the price (especially the playoffs) and he's really not any better in his own zone. I think he's the 3rd best player on his own line and I wouldn't feel at all comfortable relying on him to carry even his own line on a consistent basis.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:13 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I was watching highlights of Hartnell and Lupul's goals from last season and a line of Hartnell-Carter-Lupul would actually work out very nicely. Hartnell plays a game similar to knuble and he will sit in front of the net looking for rebounds and tip-ins. Lupul I found likes to hang out towards the sides of the net looking for rebounds and off target shots. Yea he has a cannon too, but it looks like he'll be able to put in goals in extremely tight conditions when/if Carter shoots wide.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2007, 08:24 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
I was watching highlights of Hartnell and Lupul's goals from last season and a line of Hartnell-Carter-Lupul would actually work out very nicely. Hartnell plays a game similar to knuble and he will sit in front of the net looking for rebounds and tip-ins. Lupul I found likes to hang out towards the sides of the net looking for rebounds and off target shots. Yea he has a cannon too, but it looks like he'll be able to put in goals in extremely tight conditions when/if Carter shoots wide.
i think its pretty much a given that carter will shoot wide.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 07:55 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I thought it might be interesting to watch this thread from the summer. But rather I'm going to create a tracker like I did for Upshall/Forsberg last year. Pitkanen vs. Lupul. Should be interesting.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1059
Good stuff...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...new_again.html

Playing for Edmonton, his hometown team, just never worked out. He got a new start a continent away when the Flyers traded Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton for Lupul and Jason Smith on July 1. Lupul, so far, feels reborn.

"It's been a nice transition," Lupul said. "The coaches have put a lot of faith in me; given me a lot of ice time and opportunity. I'm playing well with Mike Richards [and R.J. Umberger]. We're playing really good hockey and we're just having a lot of fun right now."

Lupul came into last night leading the team with five assists, then added his second goal of the season in the 4-0 win over the Devils. In the year before last, with Anaheim, he had 28 goals and 25 assists. Those numbers were nearly halved to 16 and 12, respectively, last season.

"Last year was just one year and it's over," he said. "I'm kind of out to prove that was just a fluke. Our team had a poor year, not unlike the Flyers did. I'm just out to prove that's not the type of player I am. I gained a lot of good experience despite how bad of a season it was for me personally and for the team. But there are a lot of good things you can take from an experience like that."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:12 PM
MountainHawk

We have a lot of threads on Lupul so I figured I'd just bump this one.

I really, really like the way Lupul has been playing. He seems like a good PP threat, and has a nice wrist shot, but he's also been finishing a lot of hits and working hard in the offensive zone.

While Smith isn't working out as well as hoped, Lupul is going to look good in orange and black for quite a while, I think.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
We have a lot of threads on Lupul so I figured I'd just bump this one.

I really, really like the way Lupul has been playing. He seems like a good PP threat, and has a nice wrist shot, but he's also been finishing a lot of hits and working hard in the offensive zone.

While Smith isn't working out as well as hoped, Lupul is going to look good in orange and black for quite a while, I think.
I love the way Lupul is playing, he's a great addition to the team, also, I think Jason Smith is doing exactly what we brought him in to do. He's got alot of grit and never gives up.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 07:54 AM
MojoJojo

I have to admit I was completely wrong about Lupul. Good job GL! Keep proving me wrong!

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:40 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
The funny thing is I've completely forgotten about Pitkanen.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:47 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Quoted for truth. Most of the time, this organization makes the right moves. It's only the few cases that sting (Williams, now Sharp, Markov, there are tenable arguments about the Lindros deal).

But to stay on topic, like Randy Moss...sometimes a player just needs the right situation. Lupul may hit 65-70 pts.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Because he's injured. If he was playing there would be constant reminders about what he's doing.

Old
11-19-2007, 09:39 PM
BlackTuuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Because he's injured. If he was playing there would be constant reminders about what he's doing.
I'll tell you what he is doing: competitive eating.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 04:38 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTuuk View Post
I'll tell you what he is doing: competitive eating.
Mike York FTW!

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=446246

Lupul
21gp 6g 10a 16pts +0 14pim

Pitkanen
9gp 1g 1a 2pts -4 8pim

Considering Pitkanen could never manage to stay healthy, I'm quite glad with how things are working out.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
IrishSniper87

One thing I love is the fact Lupul's +/- is still close to zero. I haven't been able to watch as many Flyers games as I would like, but I feel Lupul is playing ok in the areas of his game so many of us were concerned about at the beginning of the season.

Please correct me if you feel I am wrong, I don't watch that many games.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
One thing I love is the fact Lupul's +/- is still close to zero. I haven't been able to watch as many Flyers games as I would like, but I feel Lupul is playing ok in the areas of his game so many of us were concerned about at the beginning of the season.

Please correct me if you feel I am wrong, I don't watch that many games.
Nothing to correct. He's responsible on defense and has seen some PK time.

Old
11-26-2007, 09:23 AM
phlflyer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
One thing I love is the fact Lupul's +/- is still close to zero.
The only reason it has dropped down to zero is the extended time hes had on the Briere line lately.

Don't worry about +/- as it is an overrated stat anyways.

If you get to see the Flyers play you'll see that he has been visible in both ends of the ice. The way he finishes his checks and his willingness to take the body have been very pleasant surprises so far, IMO.

As another poster mentioned, he has also been used by Stevens on the PK several times so I think that is a fair sign that the coach isn't unhappy with his play in the defensive end.

Last edited by phlflyer1: 11-26-2007 at 09:48 AM.
phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:10 AM
rayearth

Lupul is 28th in the NHL in hits.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Wow I had to check that to make sure, he is doing a great job in all areas, hope that he keeps it up.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
What makes that even more impressive is that the Wachovia Center is incredibly stingy about giving out hits.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote