HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Alex Semin???

Old
11-25-2007, 08:24 PM
CapGoodie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
surely he'd be in london if we drafted him. no way we bring in two rookie centers
Gagner is immensly talented but in all honesty I don't think he's 100% ready for the NHL right now. People overrate how well he's playing, maybe because he's one of, if not THE most exciting players anywhere in the shootout. Still, he has 2 points in his past 14 games and is a -9 during that stretch and quite frankly I don't think he's been very good at all 5-on-5 or much help at all to the leagues worst PP unit. He's getting all sorts of opportunities with the Oilers but he isn't NHL ready/mature the way a guy like Backstrom is. Outside of a lot of dash and flash I think he's actually hurting the Oilers right now more than he's helping them, he's seen a little less ice from what I can tell and the Oilers have been playing better. He loses battles and has had hard time catching onto the game right now, he's been looking more like a skilled guy who can't figure out how to use those skills or recognize when he has the time/space to make a play. Reminds me of Flashes struggles over the past few seasons.

Dont get me wrong, there is pure magic in the kids hands but I doubt he'd be helping the Caps very much this year had they picked him. The only help he's been to the Oilers outside of the first two weeks of the season is in the shootout.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:29 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Quote:
Update:I'm told Semin took the morning skate and appears to be ready to play tonight. I also hear Eminger didn't do any extra work, which likely means he'll play. More later.
Semin AND Eminger in.

Will Pots be out? Or will the rightie be replacing the lefties (Sarge/Erskine)?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Quote:

Semin AND Eminger in.

According to Masisak it looks like Schultz and Jurcina will be out. Semin takes Pettinger's spot.

Ovechkin-Kozlov-Clark (red)
Fleischmann-Nylander-Semin (grey)
Laich-Steckel-Gordon (green)
Brashear-Backstrom-Bradley/Pettinger (blue)

Poti-Pothier
Morissonn-Green
Erskine-Eminger
Schultz-Jurcina

http://video1.washingtontimes.com/in...ng_update.html

Tomppav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 12:03 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomppav View Post
According to Masisak it looks like Schultz and Jurcina will be out. Semin takes Pettinger's spot.

Poti-Pothier
Morissonn-Green
Erskine-Eminger
Schultz-Jurcina

great thanks!

I never check his blog as I do Tarik's. I need to figure out how to get their through the times webpage.

Old
11-26-2007, 12:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I still dont think it was Semin's same ankle that made him miss last game. But its great to have him back. He had some sick goals last year where he would singlehandedly abuse 4 guys to score and I need a fix.

And Eminger getting another shot with Erskine is long overdue. It wont be long for Pothier to take a seat IMO. He had been playing well but seemed to regress a bit. He fell over early on last game and yet again Kolzig bailed him out. FWIW, Pothier falls down for no visible reason much more often than Erskine, our worst skater.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Foy

yay for Eminger playing!

I'm not saying he'll light the world on fire tonight, but heck, he's getting a chance!

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:29 PM
HockeyCritter

Boudreau said he was going to play all eight defensemen. I imagine on Wednesday that third pair will be Eminger and Schultz.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Boudreau said he was going to play all eight defensemen. I imagine on Wednesday that third pair will be Eminger and Schultz.
I'm just glad they are giving Steve a chance.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:08 PM
txpd

Quote:

Semin AND Eminger in.

Potsy was playing first pair with Poti. I can not imagine a guy skating those minutes getting scratched.

Personally, what I find so interesting about this coaching change is how so many of the things that posters hammered on Hanlon over, Kozlov at Center, Backstrom on Wing, Pothier in the lineup, seem to be validated by Bruce rather than changed by Bruce.

Kozlov is still at center. Nylander is still not playing with Ovechkin. Backstrom IS playing center, but on the 4th line and Pothier's responsibilities have been increased.

Jurcina played so well last season that he played Eminger off the team. He has not kept that up and it appears now that Eminger can take his job back with quality play.

Schultz might be headed back to Hershey.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I still dont think it was Semin's same ankle that made him miss last game. But its great to have him back. He had some sick goals last year where he would singlehandedly abuse 4 guys to score and I need a fix.

And Eminger getting another shot with Erskine is long overdue. It wont be long for Pothier to take a seat IMO. He had been playing well but seemed to regress a bit. He fell over early on last game and yet again Kolzig bailed him out. FWIW, Pothier falls down for no visible reason much more often than Erskine, our worst skater.
I know Potsy is your whipping boy. Now that Hanlon is gone he is next on your hit list? He is playing with Poti. I see where the scratches have come from and Schultz, Erskine and Jurcina have all been on the 3rd pair when they got scratched.

Until his minutes drop off he will be playing.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:19 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Potsy was playing first pair with Poti. I can not imagine a guy skating those minutes getting scratched.

Personally, what I find so interesting about this coaching change is how so many of the things that posters hammered on Hanlon over, Kozlov at Center, Backstrom on Wing, Pothier in the lineup, seem to be validated by Bruce rather than changed by Bruce.

Kozlov is still at center. Nylander is still not playing with Ovechkin. Backstrom IS playing center, but on the 4th line and Pothier's responsibilities have been increased.

Jurcina played so well last season that he played Eminger off the team. He has not kept that up and it appears now that Eminger can take his job back with quality play.

I wouldn't draw conclusions from any of BB's moves so far. This is basically training camp but the games happen to count. He's feeling the team out to see what he has. That he wants to see all 8 of his defensemen play in game situations reveals nothing than a desire to see what he has. Kozlov at center could have more to do with Clark at wing than Kozlov's play at center. Tonight is the first game BB's had with a full lineup.

18-20 games from now, we should have a pretty good idea of what we're going to see. Until then it's a very competitive game of musical chairs.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
malyk

I think we are giving BB a few games before jumping on him. Hell, that and we won the first two.

I'd like to see things a little different, sure. But the team is playing pretty well since the coaching change. We'll see how that continues. If things start to go south then I, and everyone else, will complain.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

OMG....Eminger gets a shirt finally and is saddled with the other "worst defender on the team". Seriously....does Erskine have compromising photos of Caps management?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
OMG....Eminger gets a shirt finally and is saddled with the other "worst defender on the team". Seriously....does Erskine have compromising photos of Caps management?
I may remember wrong, but didn't that pair work well last year?

Tomppav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I just don't get it....Erskine has been pretty bad lately and they dress him over Jurcina!?!?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:50 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Yeah they did for roughly a 15 game stretch...definitely interesting to see how Eminger performs tonight.

11-26-2007, 03:14 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

And yet we needed the PP goals to win those games or we'd be 0-2. The PP is the major difference. Forechecking is the next. Bruce can only change so much. You can't force changes right away when you take over things. Just pick two or three small but significantly lagging items and change them. Then work on more over time as the new habits start to take form.

What has Koz done for AO the past two games??? As far as Pots, I haven't noticed any increased responsibilities. Is his ice time a significant deviation from the Hanlon norm?

Old
11-26-2007, 03:15 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I just don't get it....Erskine has been pretty bad lately and they dress him over Jurcina!?!?
BB is just smacking their (Jurcina/Shultz) snoot with a newspaper...New Sheriff in town..

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

We're 2-0 in the only games I have yet to open the "Game Day Thread" prior to the game and post a score... sticking with what works but its tough.

Old
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

Poti-Pothier
Morissonn-Green
Erskine-Eminger
Schultz-Jurcina

Why is backstrom banished? why not at least place him second line over Fleich.

Good to see Semin is back. Hopefully to stay.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:20 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
We're 2-0 in the only games I have yet to open the "Game Day Thread" prior to the game and post a score... sticking with what works but its tough.
Too bad for you, Usiel's really outdone himself this time

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 03:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Why is backstrom banished? why not at least place him second line over Fleich.

Good to see Semin is back. Hopefully to stay.
2-0

Old
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Too bad for you, Usiel's really outdone himself this time
you should see some of the superstitions I pull out for football as if somehow I matter through my TV to the players on the field.

so this little self banishment is nothing.

Old
11-26-2007, 03:24 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
I know Potsy is your whipping boy. Now that Hanlon is gone he is next on your hit list? He is playing with Poti. I see where the scratches have come from and Schultz, Erskine and Jurcina have all been on the 3rd pair when they got scratched.

Until his minutes drop off he will be playing.
Hey i gave him credit for improving his game, he is not a whipping boy 24/7. I recognize that Bruce has him with Poti but 2-8 - we have a bunch of 4 to 6's there. Pots has regressed IMO the past 2 games and its obvious. You see what I see, you just choose to defend him and thats cool. I point out all the horrible D blunders, i dont single him out. When i see him falling from the breeze of an opponent and making dangerous passes again, all leading to scoring chances, its only a matter of time before Bruce sits him. Pots was Hanlon's boy but he will be an orphan if he keeps causing great scoring chances against. Regardless of my scrutiny, Bruce will sit him. There is a new sheriff in town and he is doing things differently.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 11-26-2007 at 03:31 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote