HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backyard skate rink in NE OHIO?

Old
11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

vCash: 500
Backyard skate rink in NE OHIO?

I was thinking of buying one,but was wondering if anyone in Ohio has done the same or something similiar. I'm a little leery due to are lame winters of late,but was wondering if anyone else has done the same and at least had a little bit of extra ice because of it. Thanks.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
icedog11

we did it in southeast PA. it is for more work and much harder to get good ice than you think we did it one winter and then quit.

icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
saveourpens

I live in southwestern PA, Pittsburgh, and I would imagine it's much easier finding a body of water, and working from there. you don't have to worry about boards and making the ice. My brother and I scouted good places to play pond hockey and found a beauty in Oakland.

I attached a picture of me from last winter on panther hollow lake. the cathedral of learning is in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_35b9de592e5ebfec40d6bae108e44c51.jpg‎ (41.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by saveourpens: 11-26-2007 at 08:13 PM.
saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
MikeD

using an Ice N' Go from farley technologies made the backyard rink much easier. We get about 6 weeks of good use these last couple of winters just South Of Buffalo NY

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2007, 09:19 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
using an Ice N' Go from farley technologies made the backyard rink much easier. We get about 6 weeks of good use these last couple of winters just South Of Buffalo NY
That's what I was thinking of buying. If I could get six weeks, I'd be pretty damn happy.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 05:19 PM
MikeD

what ever you do, be VERY careful with the liner. It is easy to cut. Dont walk on it, get it as level as possible before adding any water. DO NOT WALK ON THE LINER. Ours isa 40 x 80 but i dont htink they offer that large size any more.

Buy the foam sideing insulation backing for under house siding and glue two panels together to make the form they give a template for for support in uneven areas.

While your putting everything else together keep the snap on liner retainers in a warm area. IF you keep them outside they stiffen and its very hard to get them to snap on with out damaging the liner protectors and liner.

Do not install the red and blue lines they provide. They absorb sunlight and warm the ice. remove all items from the surface, including nets. They also heat up and will sink into the ice and refreeze at night.

get an attachement to fit a garden hose, for the sink faucet so you can use warm water for resurfacing and one of the metal scraper type shovels to use to clean off snow. The ice rake is a great investement, giving better, faster resurfacing.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 09:38 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
....remove all items from the surface, including nets. They also heat up and will sink into the ice and refreeze at night....
So true. We get some pretty cold weather here, but it doesn't take much sunshine to heat stuff up enough to wreck the ice. Of course you can always try 'patch' the melted spot, but it's never as good.

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote