HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is there a loophole against pulling the goalie in OT?

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 04:07 PM
edmontonoilers89

vCash: 500
Is there a loophole against pulling the goalie in OT?

I was browsing another forum, and they were talking about the pulling the goalie in OT rule.

If say a team pulled their goalie in OT because they needed the two points, and the opposing team got possession of the puck and shot it down the ice, what would happen if the goalie quickly jumped off the bench and slid to stop the puck?

I know this seems incredibly unlikely, but would this be a way of preventing the goal, and only causing a "too many men" call, because the 6th forward would still be on the ice?

Old
03-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
1. If you pull the goalie in OT and the other team scores into the empty net, you lose the point that you otherwise would have had.

2. If the goalie jumps off the bench in such a situation, the referee could award the goal on the supposition that, had the goalie (or any other player) not come off the bench, the goal would have been scored.

03-31-2004, 04:18 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Just a guess, but I think that breaking a rule to prevent an empty net goal results in an automatic goal, not a penalty. I know for a fact that throwing your stick to knock the puck away results in an automatic goal, and I imagine this extends to other infractions as well.

Just guessing though.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
2. If the goalie jumps off the bench in such a situation, the referee could award the goal on the supposition that, had the goalie (or any other player) not come off the bench, the goal would have been scored.
Yes, the same holds true if one of their forwards has a shot at an empty net and you haul him down. I think that call was made either this year or last year. If you break a rule to prevent the other team from scoring an empty netter the ref will just award the goal.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:22 PM
edmontonoilers89

Ok thanks for your responses guys.

Closed Thread