HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Islanders vs. Sabres

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 01:26 PM
Fan-of-#9

vCash: 500
Islanders vs. Sabres

Obviously the Isles have the upper hand right now being ahead by 3 points. But by no means is this race over. Each team has 3 games left to play:

Current Standings:

New York Islanders: 36-29-10-4 -86 pts
Buffalo Sabres: 36-32-7-4 -83 pts

New York Islanders Schedule:

March 31: vs. Montreal

April 2: @ Carolina

April 4: vs. Philadelphia

Buffalo Sabres Schedule:

March 31: @ NYR

April 2: vs. Toronto

April 3: @ Montreal

There are a lot of things to consider like the fact that neither team will probably see the best of their opponents in their final game, aswell as the fact that the teams are currently tied in wins. Buffalo is a hot as they have been all year, while the Isles have seen better days. Ultimately with an Isles win tonight and a Sabres loss it's over for Buffalo.

Post your predicted game outcomes!

Last edited by Fan-of-#9: 03-31-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old
03-31-2004, 01:49 PM
SlavaKozlov

I'd like to see a Sabres win and an Islanders loss tonight, just to make it interesting and intense. With Buffalo plaing it's weakest of their last 3 opponents tonight, a loss would be terrible for them, while Islanders are playing against a playoff locked team who might try to ease back a little...but still could be tough for NYI. I would liek to see buffalo in, though. It is cool thinking that every member of NE division will be in the playoffs if Buffalo can get in...I would say it is the strongest division in the NHL because of that. So basically, this is a pretty good race/fight to make the 8th spot, and I am hoping Buffalo can do it (especially after all the bankrupcy trouble and all)

The Western Conference is the one to watch though. 4 teams fighting for the last 3 spots, and Calgary can still even win the NW Division (if Vancouver and Colorado lose all their remaining games, and Calgary wins out...very unlikely, but possible) Good stuff all around!

Old
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Schenn02

I don't want the Sabres to make the playoffs because they would kick our butt. They would be a little dangerous come playoff time if they made it. NYI all the way!!!

Old
03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Have no idea how tonight's games will come out, nor who will end up in 8th.

However, as an NYI fan, nothing personal, but I absolutely love the attitude of the Leaf's fan directly above.

Of course, if Toronto were to play NYI in the playoffs, they would be the clear favorite. But any Leaf fan who takes NYI (or any other opponent for that matter) lightly has: 1) a very short memory (as in the seven-game series, spring '02); and 2) not much experience watching the NHL playoffs, apparently.

For if they did, they'd know the danger of "wishing" for a particular "easier" opponent.

I could only hope the Leafs players would take NYI lightly. (Surely they don't.)

Last edited by Trottier: 03-31-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old
03-31-2004, 03:38 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9

There are a lot of things to consider like the fact that neither team will probably see the best of their opponents in their final game, aswell as the fact that the teams are currently tied in wins. Buffalo is a hot as they have been all year, while the Isles have seen better days. Ultimately with an Isles win tonight and a Sabres loss it's over for Buffalo.

The Sabres may get an edge with the final game meaning nothing to Montreal.

It's very doubtful that the Isles will get the same luxury with the Flyers. Very doubtful that those points don't mean something to the Flyers.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Have no idea how tonight's games will come out, nor who will end up in 8th.

However, as an NYI fan, nothing personal, but I absolutely love the attitude of the Leaf's fan directly above.

Of course, if Toronto were to play NYI in the playoffs, they would be the clear favorite. But any Leaf fan who takes NYI (or any other opponent for that matter) lightly has: 1) a very short memory (as in the seven-game series, spring '02); and 2) not much experience watching the NHL playoffs, apparently.

For if the did, they'd know the danger of "wishing" for a particular "easy" opponent.

I could only hope the Leafs players would take NYI lightly. (Surely they don't.)
I'd also bet that most of TB and their fans would rather see Buffalo in the 1st round instead of the Isles, considering the way the season series has gone both ways.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:17 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Im going to pull for Buffalo in this one. I want to see this battle go down to the wire/last game of the season. This has been one heck of a season!

Old
03-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
Im going to pull for Buffalo in this one. I want to see this battle go down to the wire/last game of the season. This has been one heck of a season!
I think it's given me an ulcer.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
For the first time ever, I'm pulling for the Sabres here, now that my Habs have secured their spot. Go Sabres!

Old
03-31-2004, 04:53 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
For the first time ever, I'm pulling for the Sabres here, now that my Habs have secured their spot. Go Sabres!
Go Habs tonight ; )

Old
03-31-2004, 04:55 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
I think it's given me an ulcer.
Standings will not change, in my oppinion, for these guys.

I expect the Isles to lose 2 of their remaining games, and the Sabres to lose 1 (to the Leafs, or Habs). Sadly that will not allow for the Sabres to make the playoffs. I don't care either way really, I kinda wanted Buffalo to make it, for the NorthEast divisions sake, as well as the Leafs fans-Rangers fans recent marriage, I feel obligated to hate the Isles...lol

That being said, the Isles present very interesting playoff series, as they're atough team, and are enjoyable to watch in the playoffs. (they got Steve Webb back...I think it was a cost cutting move on their flights to other cities, as they won't need a seat for him, since he doesn't play in away games...but on the Island he plays interestingly)

Old
03-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Afino
The Juice

No offense to the Rangers or any of their fans, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers didn't give 100% tonight. They have nothing to play for and would love to stick it to the Isles again by bringing the Sabres closer. Lets hope Montreal does its part.

Old
03-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
No offense to the Rangers or any of their fans, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Rangers didn't give 100% tonight. They have nothing to play for and would love to stick it to the Isles again by bringing the Sabres closer. Lets hope Montreal does its part.
lol, I think that'd be great if the Rangers did that...however I don't expect them too. Maybe not "throwing the game" but making it brutally obvious they aren't trying too hard. lol

Montreal will beat the Isles tonight.

Closed Thread