HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD#8 Jim Robson Round 1: #4 New York vs. #5 Portage la Prairie

Old
11-27-2007, 12:47 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'm definitely stunned by that one. I think I had Portage in 5, seriously.
I had the Raiders in 7, in the closest serie in the ATD.

To be honest, I believe VanI selected the most intimidating first 4 picks in the last 2 ATD.

Scott Stevens - Guy Lapointe
Bill Gadsby - XXX
XXX - XXX

Dominik Hasek

I also believe the Parise-Lindros-Cicarelli isn't as bad after analysing it. Definitely better than the sum of his part.

I already said though that I was very impressed with the Portage team, but I think he had a tough break playing against the Raiders. IMO, the rookie of the year award is all yours.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 06:17 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
To be honest, I believe VanI selected the most intimidating first 4 picks in the last 2 ATD.

Scott Stevens - Guy Lapointe
Bill Gadsby - XXX
XXX - XXX

Dominik Hasek

I also believe the Parise-Lindros-Cicarelli isn't as bad after analysing it.
I wasn't planning to draft a third top-end defenseman but when the 4th round came around and there was Guy Lapointe! I hadda.

btw, if someone had drafted Shero before I did then I was prepared to trade Lapointe to get the team's coach!! Nobody won "the Lapointe Sweepstakes" as I would have called it.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:08 PM
vancityluongo

Congrats to both teams. Portage and doctordark shouldn't be mad at all. Helluva rookie campaign, and I can see you guys winning the draft in the next little while. I did have VanI in 7, and I believe I had them 2nd in the division as well...definitely a solid team, and easily deserving of the second round.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

I've got one question for those who voted for VanI in this series:

Had I picked Marty Barry instead of Crosby, would it have changed anything?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
I've got one question for those who voted for VanI in this series:

Yes, but.

Thing is, if I voted at a different time of day that may have changed my vote, I hummed and hawed over this one for a long time.

11-28-2007, 02:44 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
You waited until after 250 picks went by before selecting your second line centre. Marty Barry went an entire round later than that!

Goaltender, top defensive pairing and top two centres usually are among the top eight rounds of drafting for an all-time team. Waiting until the end of the 9th round to select a second line centre is a bit long.

That said, it was a long series and could have gone either way. If you recall reading, I lost in the first round before on a matter of a tie vote that went down to a tiebreaker between three star selection votes!

doctordark, your team is well respected even though youh ave such a hard on for Crosby that if his career ended today, after two pro seasons, the teenager would go down in history as one of the greatest to be counted on when it mattered most. Let's hope a career hampering injury or cancer or something doesn't turn him into another non-HHOFer could've been.

This draft is about honouring history and as such isn't looking forward to what Crosby will achieve, what accomplishments he will make in the playoffs, what a legacy he will leave behind.

I'd personally love to see someone ice an all-time youth-laden FOURTH line of Ovechkin-Crosby-Hossa, instead of throwing them and Kovy and Heatley up onto one of the top two lines, getting heavy minutes in an all-time context. They haven't EARNED it yet. There are two seasons every year, the regular season and the real season, the playoffs! ... well, not entirely, but many hockey players talk about it like that sometimes, and it sure feels like that come April/May.

Anyways... if you believe Crosby should be on one of the top lines then play him there and to hell with what others think! They'll come around, eventually, in a few years. I don't like trying to make picks which are tailored to what other g.m.s like just to get their votes (no one would draft Andreychuk or Dino as 90% of comments about them are abuse). This is first and foremost about the history of hockey, and choose accordingly.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
You waited until after 250 picks went by before selecting your second line centre. Marty Barry went an entire round later than that!

Goaltender, top defensive pairing and top two centres usually are among the top eight rounds of drafting for an all-time team. Waiting until the end of the 9th round to select a second line centre is a bit long.

That said, it was a long series and could have gone either way. If you recall reading, I lost in the first round before on a matter of a tie vote that went down to a tiebreaker between three star selection votes!

doctordark, your team is well respected even though youh ave such a hard on for Crosby that if his career ended today, after two pro seasons, the teenager would go down in history as one of the greatest to be counted on when it mattered most. Let's hope a career hampering injury or cancer or something doesn't turn him into another non-HHOFer could've been.

This draft is about honouring history and as such isn't looking forward to what Crosby will achieve, what accomplishments he will make in the playoffs, what a legacy he will leave behind.

I'd personally love to see someone ice an all-time youth-laden FOURTH line of Ovechkin-Crosby-Hossa, instead of throwing them and Kovy and Heatley up onto one of the top two lines, getting heavy minutes in an all-time context. They haven't EARNED it yet. There are two seasons every year, the regular season and the real season, the playoffs! ... well, not entirely, but many hockey players talk about it like that sometimes, and it sure feels like that come April/May.

Anyways... if you believe Crosby should be on one of the top lines then play him there and to hell with what others think! They'll come around, eventually, in a few years. I don't like trying to make picks which are tailored to what other g.m.s like just to get their votes (no one would draft Andreychuk or Dino as 90% of comments about them are abuse). This is first and foremost about the history of hockey, and choose accordingly.
I've already made my case for Crosby many times over, and it addresses everything you touch on here.

Don't sweat it. You have every right to feel as validated in victory as I feel disillusioned in defeat. . Simply picking brains after a loss, as I think every good GM should.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 11-28-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 08:48 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Yes, but.

Thing is, if I voted at a different time of day that may have changed my vote, I hummed and hawed over this one for a long time.
Exactly my thought.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote