HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Revamping the playoff format a positive move?

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 12:35 PM
Hyped

vCash: 500
Revamping the playoff format a positive move?

Look through all the threads about possible playoff match-ups and 90% of the time you'll see fans wanting a Montreal/Boston, Toronto/Ottawa, Jersey/Philly match-up. It's really quite obvious why fans want these match-ups; they want exciting, hard-nosed, blood-and-guts play-off hockey. And what better way to get it than by playing bitter rivals. Any coincidence these teams are division rivals? I think not. In my opinion, the NHL should look into changing back the format of the playoffs to having teams in their respective divisions face-off before they see the rest of the conference in the playoffs. I mean, it's obviously what the fans would want. And it enhances the excitement of the game without even changing any facet of it. Granted, with an odd amount of conference teams, the scheduling would be tough to start, but I think fans would get used to it. Anyone else agree? Or disagree for that matter?

Old
03-31-2004, 01:26 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Look through all the threads about possible playoff match-ups and 90% of the time you'll see fans wanting a Montreal/Boston, Toronto/Ottawa, Jersey/Philly match-up. It's really quite obvious why fans want these match-ups; they want exciting, hard-nosed, blood-and-guts play-off hockey. And what better way to get it than by playing bitter rivals. Any coincidence these teams are division rivals? I think not. In my opinion, the NHL should look into changing back the format of the playoffs to having teams in their respective divisions face-off before they see the rest of the conference in the playoffs. I mean, it's obviously what the fans would want. And it enhances the excitement of the game without even changing any facet of it. Granted, with an odd amount of conference teams, the scheduling would be tough to start, but I think fans would get used to it. Anyone else agree? Or disagree for that matter?
with all the talk the last week or two about how the season should be shortened, this could go right along with it IMO, 2nd and 5th 3rd and 4th ... 1st place in div. obviously exempt from the first round, definitely would be something to think about

Old
03-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
This may well be true out East, but not out West.

Over the last few years the best matchup aren't in the same division. Blues vs. Detroit has been for the most part one sided.

However, the Blues/Shark or Blues/Nucks have been pretty good/mean. Can't leave out Edmonton/Dallas - always a great series or Detroit/colorado (may be the most famous).

BTW/ Last season the BEST match up out east was Phili/Toronto (hard hitting and fun). While, out west, IMO Blues/Nucks.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:04 PM
KingsFan7824

Patrick:
Tampa Bay
Philadelphia
New Jersey
NY Islanders
Florida
Atlanta
NY Rangers
Washington

Adams:
Boston
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal
Buffalo
Carolina(long live the Whale)
Pittsburgh

Norris:
Detroit
Dallas
St.Louis
Nashville
Minnesota
Chicago
Columbus

Smythe:
Colorado
San Jose
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Phoenix

Top 4 in each division make it. Fewer games overall, but more games during the season against your own division. As in the NFL, maybe you play one division from the other conference each year, switching each season. More regional rivalries. Maybe rediscover an old rivalry or two.

And no more of this boring East and West jibber-jabber. Bring back the Wales and Campbell conferences!

Old
03-31-2004, 02:27 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
This may well be true out East, but not out West.

Over the last few years the best matchup aren't in the same division. Blues vs. Detroit has been for the most part one sided.

However, the Blues/Shark or Blues/Nucks have been pretty good/mean. Can't leave out Edmonton/Dallas - always a great series or Detroit/colorado (may be the most famous).

BTW/ Last season the BEST match up out east was Phili/Toronto (hard hitting and fun). While, out west, IMO Blues/Nucks.
Though the Blues/Wings series may be lopsided, is it still not an exciting game to watch whenever they meet? The Stars/Oilers match-up isn't exactly an even one looking at the numbers but it's great hockey. I think a case can be made for Nashville trying to stir something up with the Wings as well.

I just think the more two teams play each other, the more hatred will grow between the teams and the fans. There's nothing better than that...

Old
03-31-2004, 02:40 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Though the Blues/Wings series may be lopsided, is it still not an exciting game to watch whenever they meet? The Stars/Oilers match-up isn't exactly an even one looking at the numbers but it's great hockey. I think a case can be made for Nashville trying to stir something up with the Wings as well.

I just think the more two teams play each other, the more hatred will grow between the teams and the fans. There's nothing better than that...
Couldn't agree more

The Oil have beaten the stars in the playoffs, the Blues have yet to do it to the Wings. 5 yrs ago, I would have completely agreed w/ you, but this current team goes into mental lock against the Wings. Oilers believe that the can play w/ the Stars, but the Blues are not as confident (granted Thursdays game can go a long way to free the mental block).

I think Nashville really matches up well against the Wings and it will be fun to watch the Wings get punished physically (they are already beat up).

Old
03-31-2004, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221
with all the talk the last week or two about how the season should be shortened, this could go right along with it IMO, 2nd and 5th 3rd and 4th ... 1st place in div. obviously exempt from the first round, definitely would be something to think about
I agree, I have always wanted it to go back to the division format, and always supported the two division conferences and no inter-conference play.

Garry, you're specific example while nice in theory doesn' pan out.

First Round
1 bye
2 v 5
3 v 4

Second Round
You have 3 teams, so the division aspect is a wash, and it complicates things whether there are 2 or 3 divisions.

Old
03-31-2004, 05:59 PM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
I agree, I have always wanted it to go back to the division format, and always supported the two division conferences and no inter-conference play.

Garry, you're specific example while nice in theory doesn' pan out.

First Round
1 bye
2 v 5
3 v 4

Second Round
You have 3 teams, so the division aspect is a wash, and it complicates things whether there are 2 or 3 divisions.
ok mental mistake when i was typing that out...'
i'd say leave the first round as it is

now for the 2nd round, one of two things could occur
a) teams reseeded w/ the two teams that lost placed as 4 and 5 in resepect to either reg. season stats, or GF/games won in post season... unsure on that yet

or b) the teams are reseeded and the teams eliminated rotate to another division to play the new 2nd seed

example using last year's stats: western conf.

Blues vs Jackets and Hawks vs Preds - Jackets and Preds win

reseed: Wings, Preds, Jackets, Blues, Hawks

say Pac. div looks like this:
Ducks vs Sharks and LA vs Yotes - Dux and Yotes win

reseed: Stars, Dux, Yotes, Kings, Sharks

now 2nd round could either be:

a) Wings vs Blues/Jackets or

b) Wings vs Kings

option a) keeps the div. rivalries going, but would the league want to risk one team getting beat in their div. twice in the playoffs? or would they rather move around a little as in option b.

Last edited by garry1221: 04-01-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Closed Thread