HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Alexander Svitov Russian interview translated

Old
10-13-2007, 12:35 PM
RussianProspects

vCash: 500
Alexander Svitov Russian interview translated

Interesting interview - Svitov talks about his departure, and also about his opionion of the NHL. It's actually pretty positive, which impressed me.

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=548

RussianProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Lodewijk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects View Post
Interesting interview - Svitov talks about his departure, and also about his opionion of the NHL. It's actually pretty positive, which impressed me.

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=548

I kind of feel sorry for him, it would suck being a stranger in a strange land. But to the real competetive guys, being the best player in the best league is the allure and the goal. Some don't have that kind of fire inside of them.

I liked him alot, he was gonna be a star quality player.....too bad.

I just wish he hadn't signed a deal before he left if he thought he might like to stay home, leaving us with little options . Signing a deal and then bolting just makes him look bad, and to a smaller extent, makes the Jackets look bad.

Lodewijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
I kind of feel sorry for him, it would suck being a stranger in a strange land. But to the real competetive guys, being the best player in the best league is the allure and the goal. Some don't have that kind of fire inside of them.

I liked him alot, he was gonna be a star quality player.....too bad.

I just wish he hadn't signed a deal before he left if he thought he might like to stay home, leaving us with little options . Signing a deal and then bolting just makes him look bad, and to a smaller extent, makes the Jackets look bad.
How does it make us look bad .. we took a chance on him and he made the choice to bolt

Old
10-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Good read.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 01:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Q.) if you intended to return to Russia, why did you sign a two-year contract with the NHL team in the offseason?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Lodewijk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
How does it make us look bad .. we took a chance on him and he made the choice to bolt
Just in the perception around the league that he'd rather play back in Russia rather than with a struggling small-market Columbus. We know that good things are ahead, but there IS that perception out there outside of Ohio.

These types of things can affect possible free agent signings.

Old
10-13-2007, 01:09 PM
johnnystormcgy

Hooligan, lol.

johnnystormcgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 01:50 PM
supervillains10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Q.) if you intended to return to Russia, why did you sign a two-year contract with the NHL team in the offseason?
"....in life situation occur that require a quick and balanced decision. I canít really say anything else. This is a done topic for me. I will note only thing Ė I returned to Russia not because of money, but because circumstances ended up that way. "

It dosen't sound like he intended to leave before he signed the contract. Something happened quickly and it just ended up that way.

Still doesn't make it right... too bad. Good luck to him.

supervillains10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 01:54 PM
blahblah

Thanks for the link. In the end, I hope he enjoys his life in Russia but that interview made me want him back even less.....

I don't see why anyone would feel sorry for him, he got the easy way out and took it. I don't hate him for it, but feel sorry for him? lol, not... He got to play Hockey in the NHL, you know how many people would die for the oppurtunity he just threw away?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Casework

This reminds me why I miss Svitov. He was a good person and had a good head on his shoulders, he just couldn't put everything together. And ultimately, he made a very poor decision.

That said - I think we're better off without him.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:36 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
And ultimately, he made a very poor decision.
Which decision? The one where he signed with us and then went back to Russia or going back to Russia in general?

I don't think it is a poor decision for him, sounds like it is the right one. It sounds like the hockey was good here for him, but not much else was. If a guy doesn't have a life away from the rink, things could get mundane and meaningless fairly quickly. It sounds like he made the right decision for everyone.

I liked him and I will not forget his hit that knocked two Sabres down , nor will I forget the way he beat the crap out of Chicago's Duncan Keith , but if he wasn't enjoying himself in more than just he hockey aspect of his life, the jackets would have suffered eventually.

It would have been nice had he made the decision sooner because it may have facilitated different moves by Scott, but we ended up getting Peca because of it, and I am glad for that.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
Which decision? The one where he signed with us and then went back to Russia or going back to Russia in general?
Signing and then leaving.

No problems here with him wanting to go back home. My only problem is that he inked his name to a contract and turned around and left.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 02:51 PM
blahblah

Quote:
It would have been nice had he made the decision sooner because it may have facilitated different moves by Scott, but we ended up getting Peca because of it, and I am glad for that.
Just for the record (and I do agree with your post). I really only have a couple of problems with what he did. After re-reading my post, I don't think I communicated what I was thinking very well.

1. His timing, as you stated.
2. His lack of communication. I don't care if we (the fans) even know why. But has he talked to the CBJ yet? If he has then I will remove this one, sort of. But, I honestly would have hoped that he would have called Howson, in person, and explained things up front and perhaps found a way to contact his teammates. It didn't sound like he had contact with any of his old team.

When I say he took the easy way out, I'm just meaning I see nothing, to this point, that indicates he took responsibilty for his actions. In all reality, I don't care what his reasoning was. It's none of my business. But, from the limited knowledge I have, it looks like he didn't handle this very well.

Time to move on and I wish him luck. I just have no desire to see him on the CBJ roster again.

Old
10-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Lodewijk

I just wonder , how much of this was really his decision. The Russians are notorious for putting serious pressure on young NHL players that return home in the off-season, trying to keep good homegrown kids to elevate the quality of their league hockey.

It would be nice if an agreement can come down where Russians have to stay in North America while under an NHL contract. This is starting to happen all too often, and teams are investing lots of dough to develop these kids and not reaping any of the rewards.

IMO

Old
10-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Renion

Thanks very much for the link. It cements a lot of the impressions of Svitov, and his departure, that I had. Certainly nothing that lowers my respect for him, though I agree with Blahblah that he should have been more communicative.

Fans like to demand that "highly-paid" players be held to a higher standard than the average person. This fan does not, and this fan knows very well how quickly decisions that seemed right once upon a time can suddenly turn out to be the wrong ones.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 04:46 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

2. His lack of communication. I don't care if we (the fans) even know why. But has he talked to the CBJ yet? If he has then I will remove this one, sort of. But, I honestly would have hoped that he would have called Howson, in person, and explained things up front and perhaps found a way to contact his teammates. It didn't sound like he had contact with any of his old team.
I agree--the fact that Howson found out about him staying there via a phone call/internet was not good. Also, I agree that his teammates deserved more than that. He certainly could have handled it a lot better than he did.

Old
10-13-2007, 05:26 PM
RussianProspects

You are welcome - I am glad you enjoyed the interview. In regards to him returning - I wouldn't be so sure that he remains in Russia next season. Things change quickly (funny he said that!) and the situation in Omsk could degrade if the team does not meet expectations. I like Svitov and believe his NHL future is not out of the question yet. I just wish that 3rd overall selection wouldn't have put all that pressure on his shoulders and cause that unpleasant lost season of play in Russia.

RussianProspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 06:00 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianProspects View Post
You are welcome - I am glad you enjoyed the interview. In regards to him returning - I wouldn't be so sure that he remains in Russia next season. Things change quickly (funny he said that!) and the situation in Omsk could degrade if the team does not meet expectations. I like Svitov and believe his NHL future is not out of the question yet. I just wish that 3rd overall selection wouldn't have put all that pressure on his shoulders and cause that unpleasant lost season of play in Russia.
If he decides that he wants to leave russia and come back, I highly doubt the jackets would welcome him back with open arms. He did turn his back on them and they have moved on.

Old
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
If he decides that he wants to leave russia and come back, I highly doubt the jackets would welcome him back with open arms. He did turn his back on them and they have moved on.
He certainly may not find the NHL is welcoming place if he decides to give it another shot. He had a, potentially, good thing going with the Jackets and there may, simply, be no room for him even if the Jackets were willing to forgive.

At the end of the day, he was a fringe prospect on a bad team. His play probably didn't earn him any real attention outside of the Jackets.

Hopefully this decision doesn't leave him full of regrets. People struggle their whole lives to achieve something he just threw away.

Old
10-13-2007, 06:43 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
He certainly may not find the NHL is welcoming place if he decides to give it another shot. He had a, potentially, good thing going with the Jackets and there may, simply, be no room for him even if the Jackets were willing to forgive.

At the end of the day, he was a fringe prospect on a bad team. His play probably didn't earn him any real attention outside of the Jackets.

Hopefully this decision doesn't leave him full of regrets. People struggle their whole lives to achieve something he just threw away.
From what I understand, Jay Feaster in Tampa had to spend a bunch of money to get him out of Russia to begin with so, I would imagine that he has burned a lot of bridges with his actions for sure.

Old
10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Huge svits guy on the boards, as any regular will attest to.

2 responses stood out: the first question, he said it was a done issue and the one where he set goals are his achillies heel.

I came away from this article with a simple explantion: Svitov lacks confidence in himself and when all hype about him taking the next step was mentioned, he tightened up and made a rash decision. Remember, last year we wasn't pegged to do anything really and he really showed alot, I can't believe i'm saying the NHL pressure got to him, even in Columbus, but thats how I now see it.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 02:21 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
3 years in Russia?

He'll never go back to the NHL

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
lamdeveg

Send a message via AIM to lamdeveg Send a message via Yahoo to lamdeveg
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
2 responses stood out: the first question, he said it was a done issue and the one where he set goals are his achillies heel.

I came away from this article with a simple explantion: Svitov lacks confidence in himself and when all hype about him taking the next step was mentioned, he tightened up and made a rash decision.
The kid had no life outside of hockey, you gotta feel for him. It does sound like he lacks confidence & made a choice to go where he could regain stability & be among friends & family. I wish more kids would have the guts to do this as opposed to sliding into depression & the things it leads to. Best wishes & good luck to him. Burning bridges? This is a buisness...do we say GM's are "burning bridges" when they release or trade someone? The guy made a decision to get his life together, puts hockey in it's proper perspective. Life is more important than the NHL.

lamdeveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
He appears to be enjoying life in this vid as he beats up Darcy Verot, a name who you might be firmiliar with.....sounds like the crowd loves him too...... http://youtube.com/watch?v=q-16m5nV0ew&feature=related
a clearer view (no sound) http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dsb4qb-Gas8&feature=related

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:15 AM
blahblah

Who is Svitov and why would I care?