HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Observations From Last Game

Old
11-27-2007, 12:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm starting to think Semin will never be 100% this year. And that's OK. The Caps weren't going to win it all even with a healthy Semin. I just want him and Fehr to be healthy for the start of next year.
and Stamkos or Beach!

ugh!!!!!!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:55 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshlchmps05 View Post
nylander has been awful defensively all year, with 22 points and to still be a -13, wow
+/- stat is bad at best. Esp when it concerns a power play forward such as Nylander.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Monty

While I agree that Nyls and Semin looked completely out of sync, I find it ironic in light of the fact that during preseason it was reported regularly that those two were practicing passing with each other a lot, and seemed to be gelling. It isn't apparent when they are in a real game.

An additional issue I am having with Semin this year is what appears to me to be a lot of extraneous and unnecessary fancy stickhandling. Semin seems to regularly engage in fancy stickhandling on many occasions when no defender is near him, and in many cases, flubs the stickhandling, causing him to lose the puck or forward momentum. I cannot read his mind but he looks like someone who is quite full of himself on how great he thinks his stickhandling is and is trying to impress with fancy little moves when there is no reason to.

Another irony is that last season with sub-par NHL linemates like Beach it seemed that Semin would get his half-dozen or so superb wrist shot attempts at even strength per game, and yet in the games he has played this year, he gets few or none. For example, last year he seemed to practically every game get an open wrist shot at the goal off the face-off win by Beach or whoever from the inside hash marks. I don't recall one similar situation in the eight or nine games he has played this year. He just doesn't seem to be getting many open chances to take shots on net for whatever reason.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:31 PM
nintendowii*

The problem with Semin is, he isn't a "team" player.

A team player plays hard, at all times.

I am seeing the same thing from Nylander.

It is pretty easy to judge this.
Watch when semin gets the puck, does he give it to a guy, that is open on the boards, or does he look for a teamate that he feels is worthy of passing to!

I think this shows that captancy is a problem in the locker room.
If we can see it from the tv, then obviously the captain should also see it.

I wish ovy was captain, and could go and tell semin to PASS THE PUCK TO THE OPEN GUY!!! and stop with the stupid stickhandling for no apparent reason other then to show off.

Also, whats with nylanders lack of skating hard during a back check? the guy has decent wheels, but seems to dog it out there, when a teamate screws up, or doesn't give him the puck when he feels he should get it.

Oh man, just watch how bad he is with the constant slapping of his stick on the ice, LOL...shows real character lol!

ps: to all the semin fans, that said semin is a better shooter then ovy, eat your words this year biotches!!!

nintendowii* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Nylander

Maybe you are a better coach nintendowii.

Nylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:55 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendowii View Post

ps: to all the semin fans, that said semin is a better shooter then ovy, eat your words this year biotches!!!
did you not watch last years games at all?

ovechkin is my favorite player, and i think semin not only shoots better than ovechkin, but almost anyone in the league. not showing it so far this year though i will admit.

ps. i think its only a matter of time before semin wakes up.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
nintendowii*

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post

ovechkin is my favorite player, and i think semin not only shoots better than ovechkin, but almost anyone in the league. not showing it so far this year though i will admit.

PS: a guy that scores more on every level of hockey then semin has, is a better shooter then semin is. FACT!

Semin isn't worth 4 plus mill that GMGM signed him for, just like Kolzig wasn't worth 5 plus mill that he was signed for.

And the only guy on this team worth more then 5 mill is ovechkin, and ironically thats the one guy GMGM has NOT signed LOL!

hmm, me thinks its time for GMGM to say bye bye to his job, if the players he drafted don't start performing.

nintendowii* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:27 PM
smakawhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
There weren't that many sabres fans there. less than a quarter of what was there at the games last year, and last year they weren't half the stadium. I was with my parents, and my mom said it was at most 5% Sabres fans, but I'd possibly be willing to concede 10% if someone upstairs tells me that there were lots up there.
are you kidding me!?!?!?

smakawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

I fully agree...Semin last year could be flat out amazing. Pretty obvious that he is not in game shape yet last night..probably even looked worse as the 2nd line had zero chemistry/cohesion going on.

11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
pgreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintendowii View Post
PS: a guy that scores more on every level of hockey then semin has, is a better shooter then semin is. FACT!
do we have to have the "more points does not equal more talent" conversation again? outside and inside observers (including olie kolzig, who sees the alexes shoot more than anyone) agree semin has the better shot. he is technically more proficient, changes shooting angles better, has better velocity and possibly even better accuracy. might even have a quicker release. that does not necessarily mean he'll score more goals. just that he has a technically better shot.

if you disagree, i trust you will then agree that jonathan cheechoo, of 56 goals in '05, is the technically superior goal scorer to alex ovechkin, of a scant 52 goals in '05.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:41 PM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylander View Post
Maybe you are a better coach nintendowii. :
THWACK!!!!

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
+/- stat is bad at best. Esp when it concerns a power play forward such as Nylander.
Are you kidding? He's on pace to score 20 goals and 75 points and be a -44!!!!

Nylander is a joke defensively.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Fortunately there's a lot more to hockey than shooting. Ovechkin is easily the more complete/better player. It's not even close. When Semin cracks the 50g mark, I will be happy to reassess my position.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
Kinda interesting the times you just "happen" to make these "observations" . . .

Biscuit ... I agree, the ice was all kinds of bad last night, some of the worst I've ever seen (which is saying something seeing as I grew up watching the Rangers at MSG).

Caps had a hard time breaking through Sabres trap (and Sabres went into trap mode with ten minutes to go in the second). They'll have to find a way to handle it.

I'm quite suprised that Bradley got the nod over Pettinger ... I would have kept the second line as it was (Flash-Nylander-Pettinger) and put Semin on that fourth line with Brash and Backstrom .... manage Semin's minutes the way Backstrom's minutes are being managed. Swapping Semin for Pettinger removes a grinding/digging quality for that line.

Did not like the pairing of Erskine and Eminger ... then again I don't like Erskine very much so that might cloud my judgement of that pair a bit.
During the post game show on 3WT, one of the players talked about the bad ice and how it continued to get worse as the night went on.

The host said that will always be the problem with VZC with all the Wiz games, G-Town games and concerts. He said there was a concert there Sunday night and that contributed to the awful ice condition.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:06 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Fortunately there's a lot more to hockey than shooting. Ovechkin is easily the more complete/better player. It's not even close. When Semin cracks the 50g mark, I will be happy to reassess my position.

ovechkin is the better player. always will be.

all i said was that semin has the better shot;

i did not say that hes a better goal scorer, a better player, smarter, faster, more attractive, or that he has more super powers.

his wrist shot is insane. ovechkins is really great too, but i feel like semin's release is quicker. and last year it would find its way in the net when it looked impossible(his 3rd goal in his hattrick against tampa).

Old
11-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
ovechkin is the better player. always will be.

all i said was that semin has the better shot;

i did not say that hes a better goal scorer, a better player, smarter, faster, more attractive, or that he has more super powers.

his wrist shot is insane. ovechkins is really great too, but i feel like semin's release is quicker. and last year it would find its way in the net when it looked impossible(his 3rd goal in his hattrick against tampa).

Have you seen how big Semin's curve is....enough said.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:12 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Have you seen how big Semin's curve is....enough said.
i want one btw. if you know where to get one let me know. im looking for either ovy's or semin's curve.

Old
11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Are you kidding? He's on pace to score 20 goals and 75 points and be a -44!!!!

Nylander is a joke defensively.
yeah, but its sweet when him or backstrom back check and steal the puck. ive seen it several times.

Old
11-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
i want one btw. if you know where to get one let me know. im looking for either ovy's or semin's curve.

All the players modify there curves, so buying a stick with their curve really isn't there curve.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:21 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
All the players modify there curves, so buying a stick with their curve really isn't there curve.

i know they modify them. and im not looking for retail, pro stock if its out there.

Old
11-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Filppula
Jurks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
2nd line was indeed horrid last night. Those three (esp Nylander) and Erskine were entirely responsible for the loss. However, Semin looked completely out of game-shape and his timing was all off. Nylander is just a difficult player to read right away, and when he's doing his fancy-dancy pond hockey stuff of constantly holding the puck for one second too long and turning it over - it becomes nearly impossible to play with that guy. Give them time, they make sense together IMO but Semin was rusty, Nylander just had a horrid night. Flash wasn't that bad last night, his two linemates looked drunk so I wouldn't put too much blame on him. He was working hard. Boudreau stuck by that line and he probably had to if he wants them to get it together in the shortest time possible.
We must have been watching a different game. Other than 2 good shifts he was terrible and a liability out there.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
SSM12

Quote:
i know they modify them. and im not looking for retail, pro stock if its out there.
i have a prostock from rookie year when he used easton

similar curve to bauers p92

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 11:41 PM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
There weren't that many sabres fans there.
the lets go buffalo chant was quite loud, and the cheering after buffalo's goals reminded me of flyer and penguin games, there was a lot of them there

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
HockeyCritter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filppula View Post
We must have been watching a different game. Other than 2 good shifts he was terrible and a liability out there.
Especially when he was "checking" Semin ... I could not believe how many times Flash bowled over Semin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshlchmps05 View Post
the lets go buffalo chant was quite loud, and the cheering after buffalo's goals reminded me of flyer and penguin games, there was a lot of them there
They were loud (and obnoxious and drunk – a large group of security officers appeared to be removing several from one of the upper level sections – somewhere around 420), however they certainly did not outnumber the Caps fans (as they did last year) ... this game was nearly down to pre-lock out Sabre "fans" in attendance.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote