HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is the deal with Habs fans on Higgins?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

vCash: 500
Chris Higgins... Disgusting. On pace for a 30 goal season... shameful, shameful I say.
Higgins

Old
11-28-2007, 12:24 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreiMMermlik View Post
Now, take a fresh breath, read the thread, and tell me your opinion is the same it was.
Why would it have changed?

Old
11-28-2007, 12:25 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder6 View Post
Chris Higgins... Disgusting. On pace for a 30 goal season... shameful, shameful I say.
Higgins
In fact, I'dd say he is one pace for 51 points, and about 30-31 goals. Knowing even Richard Zednik managed to have similar statistics while playing with Saku, it's not something very impressive for our future all-star.

Old
11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Why would it have changed?
If all the posters on that thread watched the games since the beginning of the year, their opinion must have changed... if not, well there are glasses everywhere...

Old
11-28-2007, 12:29 PM
brownman*

Quote:
If all the posters on that thread watched the games since the beginning of the year, their opinion must have changed... if not, well there are glasses everywhere...
It usually takes more than a 1/4 season of pretty decent hockey for a 24 year-old to shift opinions to the negative...especially when he's on pace for the 30 goals we expect.

You fail. Miserably.

Old
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Namso

The thing about Higgins is that its so hard to hate him. Same with Pleks and Komi. They way they play, skate hard every shift, you just can't hate them.

Higgins, I must concede, has been overrated by us fans, but he's still a good player and only getting better. Is he going to be a superstar? Doubt it, but he will be very valuable for us.

Old
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Make it your last post on this board and I'll give you $5.
HFBoards: the website where opinions match Waffledave's.

Waffledave

Old
11-28-2007, 01:31 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Quote:
In fact, I'dd say he is one pace for 51 points, and about 30-31 goals. Knowing even Richard Zednik managed to have similar statistics while playing with Saku, it's not something very impressive for our future all-star.
Yes. I concur. I am so disappointed that Christopher Higgins has not developed into Wayne Gretzky in his third season in the National Hockey League. I mean, what's the deal Christopher? What are you thinking? I mean, right now, you're just good, not great, and obviously you'll never get any better because you are way too old to improve. In conclusion, I'm disappointed in you and the life you have chosen to lead. I stand by my original

Old
11-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Lone Rogue

Something about Higgins just reminds me of Kirk Muller. He has great leadership, is an excellent two way forward, knows how to back check and catch up on a rush, can shoot and pass. At 24 he still has development to do but I think he can grow to be a consistent 30 goals/70 point player for the team. Some may cry thats not the 100 point superstar they wish him to be for the team, but I always seen Higgins as the kind of guy who'll develop to be a cornerstone to the franchise, especially in the leadership department. There's some things you can't teach players, and leadership is one of them.

To me, the Habs Kids are not about becoming first line superstars, but solid players you can't trade for or sign in the off-season without overinflation. The kind of guys that you create a *team* out of. I'm happy for the Habs drafting to develop a team instead of just expecting a top line to bail us out all year and deep into the post season.

Old
11-28-2007, 01:54 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
On the Habs, he is a star. Easily. I would take him first before any other forward on the team.
This is a good example of the huge bias people have towards Higgins on this board.

WHat the hell has he done to earn that status?? Scored 22 goals?

Fact is, he took a very long time to finally start producing at the NHL level, and while starting off strong this year, he has totally faded in the last few weeks and been a non-factor.

He's missed a ton of chances, and simply has hardly done anything to help this team win all year long.

Koivu, Kovalev and Plekanec are all MUCH more integral to this teams success currently, yet you would take Higgins over any of them?? It's a little ridiculous.

Why, because he skates fast? Because he has great puck control in the corners?? Those things are great, but they don't replace points, they don't replace results, and unfortunately that's somewhere that higgins has always lacked: results.

I love the guy, but it's pretty silly when we jump all over Ryder every mistake he makes, and give Higgin's a total free pass.

He doesn 't have a great shot, and he is not showing that he's a great passer either, I can count the times he's set up Ryder with a good pass on one hand.

Old
11-28-2007, 01:57 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Stastny - plays under Sakic, that must be nice
Malkin - plays under Crosby, that must be cool
Kopitar - plays above/under Cammalleri and Frolov, that must be reassuring
Spezza - plays with Heatley and Alfredsson, that must be alright
Kovalchuk - plays above/under Hossa, that must be soothing

There's no telling where Higgins might be if he were surrounded by exceptional talent.
LMAO. If you think for a SECOND that higgins is anywhere close to a Kovalchuck, Malkin or Spezza...you don't have a clue.

Old
11-28-2007, 02:00 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I actually expected to see something like this, it's only a matter of time around here. Everyone on this team not named Markov gets bashed. Koivu is bashed all the time and we can rarely have threads about him that don't go downhill. Kovalev is hated, Ryder is often a bum unless he just had a good game, Carbo is stupid unless we win, Gainey doesn't do anything, Souray stunk when he was here unless he won the game, Brisebois will kick your dog across the room, Bouillon and Dandenault couldn't cut in the ECHL, Murray is the cause of all that is wrong in the world, I could go on and on. Now Higgins is overrated.

That's the problem when you frame the debate in this way.

The OP is not 'bashing' anything. He's noting his opinion, with solid arguments to back it up. Is Higgin's overhyped by MTL fans?? Probably...it's a valid topic for dicussion.

Much more interesting than the 1,293rd thread about how lazy Kovy or Ryder are...

Old
11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
habsfan3131

When Higgins was draft, he was supposed to be a very good 3er liner in the nhl. I think that he will never be a offensive threat but around 20-25 goal and 30-35 assistes and 55-65 pts every year with good defense and maybe a futur captain with the habs

Old
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
The thing about Higgins is that its so hard to hate him. Same with Pleks and Komi. They way they play, skate hard every shift, you just can't hate them.

Higgins, I must concede, has been overrated by us fans, but he's still a good player and only getting better. Is he going to be a superstar? Doubt it, but he will be very valuable for us.
Now here is a reasonable poster.

Superstar? Probably not, but MAYBE.

The way some of you act, it's like if anyone doesn't agree he's an inevitable all-star, they're a complete moron.

Reality is, all you guys are simply HOPING he'll do good, but he still has alot to prove, and a long way to go before he truly becomes a major impact player.

Currently he ranks #4, out of our top 6 forwards as far as impact goes. That's reality folks.

Koivu, Pleks and Kovy are all outplaying him.

Old
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
laubelroc

higgins

i agree with you 100 percent

Old
11-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Karl Pilkington

Posting a thread that questions Higgins' abilities and current/future worth is like walking into a Catholic church and trying to ell everyone that God doesn't exist.

Seriously though, while some people do overvalue Higgins' worth and give him a free pass for every mistake he makes, there are others who can't see as far as the last game he's played (actually this goes for the whole team... If I didn't know any better I'd swear the habs were sinking ship right now after reading some of the pessismistic BS I've had to over the last couple of weeks). Both of those sides of the coin just need to tone it down a little. Higgins is fallible, but his work ethic and general attitude will allow him to find his touch over time. There are only a few players on the team right now that haven't lost their touch in recent weeks so hopefully Higgins is amonst the first to turn his game around.

... but we all know Ryder will be the first guy to do that.

Old
11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
CHareth

Quote:
Add me to your ignore list if you want, delete my thread... lynch me... I really don't want to offense anybody. But in my opinion some fans are expecting too much from a VERY normal player.
Out of virtually every sports broadcast crew I've watched/listened to, the analysts have shared the view of the majority of Habs fans - going out of their way to mention that Higgins is essentially a clearly above-average and at least borderline star. So either the vast majority of us is all wrong on this one, or we're all right. All I can say is that we look like a much better team with Higgins than without.

Old
11-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Kalcon

I agree that Higgins is over rated.
He is a very good hockey player but us Hab fans think/hope that is way better than he actually is.
He kind of fits the mold of an Eric Staal or an Eric Cole but is not yet close to their level of play. More like a Matt Stajan.
I believe he is being used in the wrong role be Carbonneau. He's not a "pure" goalscorer. He's a power forward. Higgins should work on his passing a little more. It may just result in more goals for the line and not just him.
If he stays healthy he has the potential of becomming a star..not a superstar by any means...but a star in the sense of a good, solid, reliable 25-30 goal man.

Old
11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHareth View Post
Out of virtually every sports broadcast crew I've watched/listened to, the analysts have shared the view of the majority of Habs fans - going out of their way to mention that Higgins is essentially a clearly above-average and at least borderline star. So either the vast majority of us is all wrong on this one, or we're all right. All I can say is that we look like a much better team with Higgins than without.

That's because Higgins is the best forward prospect we have right now. He's our first draftpick in a long time that actually looks like he is very likely to be a dominant top 6 player.

Nobody is going to deny that.

The problem is this mentality that the guy can do no wrong, or that he's "the best" forward we have, that's crazy talk...the kid looks like the real deal, but he still has alot to prove.

Last edited by yukoner: 11-28-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old
11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
CacaLauncher23

I like watching Higgins but I do believe he's overrated.

Ryder actually did better than him at his debut and look at him now.

He went on a pretty long streak without a single goal last year.

Still, I think he's exciting to watch.

Old
11-28-2007, 04:03 PM
E_Godard

Quote:
Don't know if I'm going to make friends with this, but I feel like expressing my opinion.

Am I the only one here who don't see Higgins as the 8th wonder of the world? I mean, here are some facts about him so far :

He played a complete year on the first line of the team and only managed to score 22 goals and get 38 point. He gets big minutes on the PP, but I really can't see how this guy is labelled as a future star if he's not able to produce with one of the good center in the NHL.

Habs fan label him as the future captain/face of the franchise, but I can't see where he has such an outstanding leadership. Never stays to talk to the medias... or almost never. Plus, when the Habs are going towards a bad streak, all he does is bash the other players' game and especially blame Kovalev. I'd much rather see Komisarek as our next captain.

This is not a bashing thread. For all what I care... but I would like to see him used more efficiently. He's great on the forecheck, protects the puck well... but :

He doesn't have much of a big hockey sense.
He is not an outstanding passer.
He is not the best goal scorer.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't know. I can't see this player fetch much more than 50 pts in a season. you can't learn hockey sense. You have it or you don't. Even Latendresse produced when matched with Saku last year.

Add me to your ignore list if you want, delete my thread... lynch me... I really don't want to offense anybody. But in my opinion some fans are expecting too much from a VERY normal player.

Trade him to the Islanders, we'd love to welcome him home.

Old
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Hate to break it to you all, but this guy is absolutely right.

Higgins will never be an elite player in this league. Sure he's serviceable, fast, can score some goals from in close, but that's about it.

He doesn't have a sniper's shot, has zero vision whatsoever, and really isn't even that oportunistic in close.

Sure, he'll get your 30 goals playing big minutes, but that's about it. He'll never really be the face of the franchise or whatever, he'll just be another Alex Steen or Mike Fisher... Which isn't bad, but it isn't what everybody is pimping him out to be.

Old
11-28-2007, 04:13 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
That's because Higgins is the best forward prospect we have right now. He's our first draftpick in a long time that actually looks like he is very likely to be a dominant top 6 player.

Nobody is going to deny that.
Dominant?!

I can deny that.

Old
11-28-2007, 04:19 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Dominant?!

I can deny that.
Semantics. He's already beating out multiple checks in the corners, and outskating the majority of opposing players. Whether you want to call that dominant or not, whatever...

He'll never be a kovalchuck, but he'll better than your average 2nd line player, i.e. Kostitsyn, Ryder etc.

He's a player who looks like he'll be an excellent top 6 player, but is still unproven.

Old
11-28-2007, 04:26 PM
StanleyCH25

I guess part of this depends on what you consider an elite player. Was Carbonneau an elite player? What about Bob Gainey? To me, both of these players excelled in areas of the game that few other players did at the time and Chris Higgins has a similar mold when it comes to tenacity and fighting for every inch. Chris Higgins might not be a sniper or an elite level passer but he gives it his all when he's on the ice. In fact, in yesterday's game, he is the one who outskated Koivu to stop a 2 on 1 when Koivu was much closer and decided to start gliding. This isn't a bash on Koivu but just a praise for Higgins. I don't see him as a 100 point player but I wouldn't be surprised to see him reach a point per game status at some point in his career although some fans will forget the other contributions he brings to the team (speed, exceptional defensive coverage and anticipation of plays).

Closed Thread