HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Line and D pair changes....

Old
11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Line and D pair changes....

from Tarik
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

Forwards:

Ovechkin-Nylander-Clark (Nylander returns to the top line)
Pettinger-Kozlov-Semin (Pettinger back in the lineup)
Laich-Steckel-Gordon (Same)
Fleischmann/Brashear-Backstrom-Bradley (Flash/Brash could be out)

The 'D' parings:

Morrisonn-Green
Schultz-Pothier
Jurcina-Poti
Erskine-Eminger

I take this as Eminge back to the scratch sheet with Erskine and Fleischmann is back to the dog house.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

reward a god awful night for Nylander by putting him on the top line.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Devil Dancer

It's interesting that Nylander hasn't really clicked anywhere at even strength. Also, what's up with Poti on the 3rd pairing?

EDIT: I still like the Poti - Green pairing that Glen used early in the year.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:35 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

At the very least, I really hope that skating with Poti improves Jurcina's confidence. He's skating like a lost little girl out there.

There's some additional discussion on the shakeup in the "observations from last night" thread.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
reward a god awful night for Nylander by putting him on the top line.
It makes sense...where else is he going to go? You can't blame a player for bad chemistry with his linemates.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:21 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
It makes sense...where else is he going to go? You can't blame a player for bad chemistry with his linemates.
Maybe in the long run being on the first line w/Ov gives him a bit more time and space to to oporate the whirling twirling trance-inducing Nylander machine. Same as with the Jagr line last year.

Still need the RW upgrade to make it work though.

Next year's budget I guess.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Jasper17

I like most of the moves, step in the right direction as far as I am concerned.

I think the Mo-Green pairing is a real good idea, i just wish we had a Mo type player to pair with Poti. I think Poti and Green needed to be seperated, and we need our D to help our offense and seperating those two will enable the Caps to have one of them on the ice 2/3 of every game.

I want to see how that top line plays. I personally would still like to see Backstrom take that spot, and Nylander center Semin and Kozlov. But I am interested to see if Nylander and Ovechkin can get going. I don't expect it to work, but its worth a try.

Backstrom on the 4th line is a waste. Not sure why everyone is overlooking that now that Bruce has taken over. I still think that is a mistake, hopefully after a few games he will realize that he is prob the Caps 3rd best forward (and that is giving Semin a pass since he has been injured, because I think Backstrom has played better than him).

But the D is the way it has to be IMO.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2007, 07:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
It's interesting that Nylander hasn't really clicked anywhere at even strength. Also, what's up with Poti on the 3rd pairing?

EDIT: I still like the Poti - Green pairing that Glen used early in the year.
My take is that Nylander is scuffling a bit right now with turn overs. His overall offensive game has been strong as his numbers are steady and his puck possession has remained strong. He is just turning the puck over. Perhaps trying a little too hard.

Think about it this way. Putting Nylander with Ovechkin puts him on the ice against checkers that are less apt to be able to take advantage of a turnover. On the 2nd line he ends up on the ice with guys like Hecht and is obviously getting burned. Additionally he has been skating with Fleischmann who is very strong defensively.
This also breaks that up.

As for Poti on the 3rd pair, I would not read it that way. Pothier-Schultz looks more like the 3rd pair to me. What I see is that Boudreau is not happy with the combinations that he has tried so far. He sees holes in them. He also seems like a guy that follows a scratch with an upgrade in responsibility. Pettinger scratched off the 3rd line comes back on the 2nd. Jurcina scratched off the 3rd pair comes back with the #1 defenseman. Schultz scratched comes back with Pothier who has been playing #2 minutes.

There seems to be a pattern to why he is scratching some guys.

Old
11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
Maybe in the long run being on the first line w/Ov gives him a bit more time and space to to oporate the whirling twirling trance-inducing Nylander machine. Same as with the Jagr line last year.

Still need the RW upgrade to make it work though.

Next year's budget I guess.
I don't think you need a RW upgrade with OV-Nylander-Clark. Clark retrieves loose pucks and goes hard to the net. Ov retrieves loose pucks and goes to open space.
Nylander skates around in circles til there is a passing lane to an open shooter or an open lane to the crease.

Old
11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I don't think you need a RW upgrade with OV-Nylander-Clark. Clark retrieves loose pucks and goes hard to the net. Ov retrieves loose pucks and goes to open space.
Nylander skates around in circles til there is a passing lane to an open shooter or an open lane to the crease.
I wouldn't disagree that that's Clark's role, but Nylander's skill set calls for at least 1 more finnisher (F or D) to really be effective. Clark doesn't have the offensive transition game, to be a primary target, especially 5 on 5, to complement Nylander's setup skills. This combined with our total lack of a defenseman with a decent point shot, leaves Nylander with only Ovechkin as viable target on the transition.

I know we've been through this before, but Clark's relative style of play with Nylander at center, as opposed to Zubrus is just likely not going to be as productive. If you are going to build a line around Ov and Nylander, Clark ain't your guy, and neither is Flash/Bozo.

Lots of RW's out there that would be a better fit, maybe as soon as when Ov's contract is compleated. Maybe next year...Until then, enjoy the circles!

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:39 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

The D pairings are ideal IMO.

The O...we'll see.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Monty

As poorly as Semin has played when he has played, and as well as Backstrom has been playing, I would like to see Bruce put Semin on the left half-boards in place of Backstrom on the PP. In the Sabres game, the Caps PP resumed its largely ineffectual nature of most of the season. While I liked the notion that with Nylander and Backstrom the Caps had a quality setup guy on both half-boards, Semin is as good a passer as Backstrom, particularly when stationed on the PP on the half-boards where Semin was in March 2004 and performed superbly but where Hanlon refused to play him in 2006-07 because AO was anchored there.

The element that Semin adds there that Backstrom hasn't yet displayed is a sniper wrist shot. With a Backstrom-AO-Nylander-Green-Poti PP, the problem you have is insufficient shooting ability. Obviously, AO is great, and Green has shown shooting ability, but Poti virtually never shoots, and I don't think most other teams are particularly concerned about Nylander and particularly Backstrom as shooters. So now that the Caps have shown this PP lineup for a few games, I think teams will continue to collapse around AO in the middle of the ice, and prevent the Green backdoor, and won't be particularly concerned about shots from the half-boards by Backstrom or Nylander, or from the point by Poti. However, I think if you have Semin at the half-boards the PP still has the ability to do through the seam passes from either side, and tic-tac-toe plays, but Semin is a new shooting threat that the PK will have to worry about and will be much more dangerous to score off a wrister from his side of the ice.

I don't like the notion of taking Backstrom off the first PP unit because his recent play deserves more playing time, not less, but I think Semin is the better option and Backstrom could become the conductor for the second unit. And if the first PP unit continues to have the problems it displayed against the Sabres and Semin starts playing more like the Semin of last year, I think Bruce will switch Semin for Backstrom.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
I wouldn't disagree that that's Clark's role, but Nylander's skill set calls for at least 1 more finnisher (F or D) to really be effective. Clark doesn't have the offensive transition game, to be a primary target, especially 5 on 5, to complement Nylander's setup skills. This combined with our total lack of a defenseman with a decent point shot, leaves Nylander with only Ovechkin as viable target on the transition.

I know we've been through this before, but Clark's relative style of play with Nylander at center, as opposed to Zubrus is just likely not going to be as productive. If you are going to build a line around Ov and Nylander, Clark ain't your guy, and neither is Flash/Bozo.

Lots of RW's out there that would be a better fit, maybe as soon as when Ov's contract is compleated. Maybe next year...Until then, enjoy the circles!
I guess I disagree. For Clark its mostly about the finish. He could have had a hat trick against Carolina. His goal and near goals were all a result of the transition game that night.

He is fast enough to keep up with Ovechkin. In fact I would think he is faster than Nylander. Clark can also shoot the puck in from outside of ten feet. So he can finish from the slot. However, Clark scores from the paint too. When you have a player like Ovechkin that is a shooting maching you MUST have someone that can cash in the rebounds. A Semin or Bouchard or Fehr is not going score those goals.

Flash has been a failure for two main reasons. A. He does not find or take advantage of open space as a gunner and is of no value to Nylander or Kozlov as a pass receiver. B. He does not go into the house of pain to score off the OV rebound action.
Clark does both.

Old
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
I still think Ovey Nylander Kozlov is our best possible top line. Bruce likes Kozlov at center obviously and he is 2-1 with him at C so i will respect that. Our first line and second line are not clicking and have not the entire year. My top line is the same line most here predicted in August so I know I cannot be alone in my thinking. But what is the second line with that 1:

Semin Backstrom Laich, Petty Backstrom Semin, Semin Backstrom Clark, Semin Steckel Clark, Semin Gordon Flash, i dunno, but we have lots of options to explore this year with our depth at center. I forget how complex depth can make line combos - its been a long time.

Trying to make 4 lines work at once is tough - there are just too many combos to try. Get line 1 ironed out, then work on the second line.

I think its great that he is integrating Eminger into the team again. It was a black cloud, a toxin, a mystery, that didnt have to be. Either he is on the team or not.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote