HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jacques Demers Picks for NHL Awards

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2004, 11:07 PM
lakings87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I think we all know Jarko Ruutu is going to take the Byng home this year.
No, I say it should go to Avery, he been real classy.

Old
03-30-2004, 11:11 PM
OMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan9
calgary has 90 pts, and monytreals roster is much better then calgaqry, calgary only has iginla conroy and a bunch of average guns who help out fro time 2 time
MTL HAS RIBEIRO KOIVU RYDER KOVALEV ZEDNIK PERREAUT DAGEBNAIS SOURAY BOULLION AND THE REST NOT 2 MENTION THE BEST GOALIE DUO OF ALL TIME, PROPS 2 KIPRUSOIFF AND TUREK, BUT THEO AND GARON KICK UR *****
Yup! I'd even say that Montreal's a lock to win the cup

Montreal's set of forwards is clearly better than Calgary's, but Calgary's defence is better than Montreal's.

Regardless, you could make legit cases for Sutter and Julien when it comes to the Adams.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:36 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
calgary has 90 pts, and monytreals roster is much better then calgaqry, calgary only has iginla conroy and a bunch of average guns who help out fro time 2 time
MTL HAS RIBEIRO KOIVU RYDER KOVALEV ZEDNIK PERREAUT DAGEBNAIS SOURAY BOULLION AND THE REST NOT 2 MENTION THE BEST GOALIE DUO OF ALL TIME, PROPS 2 KIPRUSOIFF AND TUREK, BUT THEO AND GARON KICK UR *****
How old are you ?? 10 ??

The Flames are just as good as the Habs. Their defence is much better than the Habs which equals out the two teams.

Bouillon ???

Old
03-31-2004, 08:50 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

This year the Adams is pretty wide open. There usually are not as many teams in contention as is the case this season... Julien has done an admirable job, but I think that Ron Wilson and Daryl Sutter ought to garner greater consideration. Wilson will probably get the nod. A record in excess of 100 points, in his first full season with a team that is rebuilding and that was not expected to be a contender.

My guess is Wilson, with runners up Sutter and John Tortorella.

Andy Murray has had a huge challenge with all the injuries, but at the end of the day the Adams winner needs to be coaching a successful team, and the Kings are just struggling this year. There are justified reasons for this, but that does not automatically make him a contender for one of the league's best coaches.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:21 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
i know this will sound homerish, Why doesn't Dave Lewis get any mention for the Adams? His team is 1st in points and had nothing but problems with injuries and controversy. He had to deal with the whole goalie situation. He had 10 regulars out at one point in the middle of the season, and recently was missing 6 regulars. The Wings have not had their whole roster healthy since game 2. I think the Wings are either 2nd or 3rd with man games lost, and we probably wont see the real Wings roster till the playoff starts, if that.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:32 PM
ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
In the Journal de Quebec Yesterday. ( I'll try to Translate it )

Lady Bing
Brad Richards
A real Gentleman who have his best season in the NHL.
Runner-Up : Brett Hull, Joe Sakic and Nils Ekman
Seeing Ekman in that list is quite interesting. When he played in Finland he was everything but gentleman player, one of the best agitators.

1996-97 54 GP, 64 PIM
1997-98 50 GP, 113 PIM
1998-99 55 GP, 102 PIM

Numbers include regular season and playoffs.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:42 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Wow i never realize how much talent the Habs have ? Perrault,Dagenais and Bouillon are too strong for the league

Old
03-31-2004, 01:56 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
Frank J.Selke
Kris Draper
Even if he always play against the best opposite line he put some good offensive numbers this season.
Runner-Up : Kirk Maltby, Bryan Smolinski and Craig Conroy
Are these really the front-runners right now? Draper has missed a fairly large chunk of games, so I'm suprised to see him getting the nod, but I'm really suprised by Smolinski's inclusion on this list. While he's been steady for the Sens this year, I don't think I've heard anyone in Ottawa mention him as a possible candidate for the Selke.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
face it montreeal has good assets..just cuz he picked them how about you accept it, theodore should be runner up 4 teh vezina, julien WILL win the adams, ryper WILL win the calder and souray would of been nominated 4 the norris if didnt get injured HABS RULE, theyre the team of the futur, if perreaut had a consistant season he would of own the selke SO THERE!
If Souray didn't have a six point game nobody would know his name outside of Montreal.

I can't wait to hear Don Cherry's list, as he'll certainly have better picks than that of this clown and homer.

Old
03-31-2004, 02:15 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
Wow i never realize how much talent the Habs have ? Perrault,Dagenais and Bouillon are too strong for the league
Just smile and nod man, just smile and nod.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:01 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
If Souray didn't have a six point game nobody would know his name outside of Montreal.

I can't wait to hear Don Cherry's list, as he'll certainly have better picks than that of this clown and homer.
no bias there of course... you havent seen Don Cherry's list but it sure is going to be better... no bias there...

just find it funny that you call Demers a clown because he is biased ...

and Souray was among the goal scorers leaders among the d-men... (in his 6 games points he scored only one goal) but again I guess no one should know who are the offensive leader for d-men outside of their club...

Last edited by Cloudigger: 03-31-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old
03-31-2004, 03:07 PM
hgo

Sutter deserves the Adams WAY more than Julien. Other than that, Jacques made some decent picks.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:12 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
i know this will sound homerish, Why doesn't Dave Lewis get any mention for the Adams? His team is 1st in points and had nothing but problems with injuries and controversy. He had to deal with the whole goalie situation. He had 10 regulars out at one point in the middle of the season, and recently was missing 6 regulars. The Wings have not had their whole roster healthy since game 2. I think the Wings are either 2nd or 3rd with man games lost, and we probably wont see the real Wings roster till the playoff starts, if that.
Because he was basically handed a "no assembly required" team by Scotty Bowman.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:26 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudigger
no bias there of course... you havent seen Don Cherry's list but it sure is going to be better... no bias there...

just find it funny that you call Demers a clown because he is biased ...

and Souray was among the goal scorers leaders among the d-men... (in his 6 games points he scored only one goal) but again I guess no one should know who are the offensive leader for d-men outside of their club...
Actually, my point about Cherry was more of a joke than reality. I was saying that it's going to be nearly impossible to comprise a list that is THAT bias to compare to the list spoken about.

Sheldon Souray has had a good half season. The rest he's been injured/not top defenceman quality. Also, I've got a very good handle on the offensive defencemen leaders outside of "my club" as I've been watching Bryan McCabe's rise all season. Sheldon Souray has 35 points. I'm well aware he's been injured (only played 60 games), but compare his stats to Bryan McCabe's and you clearly can see who the more dominant of the two are, 13 games difference, 17 points difference. (by the way, Souray still is among the goalscoring defencemen leaders). I'm not trying to belittle Souray's season (my comment about "nobody knowing him..." may have been a tad harsh) but the poster I was responding to seems to believe that Souray's injury are all that stand between him being one of the top 5 defencemen of this season, and that is a ridiculous claim.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:35 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
Because he was basically handed a "no assembly required" team by Scotty Bowman.
If it were that simple, the Wings would've won the SC last year and Granato would be getting heaps of praise from Avs fans. As it turns out, neither has happened. For all the star talent a team can possess, a good coach is still required to reign them in.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Are these really the front-runners right now? Draper has missed a fairly large chunk of games, so I'm suprised to see him getting the nod, but I'm really suprised by Smolinski's inclusion on this list. While he's been steady for the Sens this year, I don't think I've heard anyone in Ottawa mention him as a possible candidate for the Selke.
Draper has only been out a few weeks, at worst; not exactly a large chunk of games. He may even return for a game or two before the season finishes.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Actually, my point about Cherry was more of a joke than reality. I was saying that it's going to be nearly impossible to comprise a list that is THAT bias to compare to the list spoken about.

Sheldon Souray has had a good half season. The rest he's been injured/not top defenceman quality. Also, I've got a very good handle on the offensive defencemen leaders outside of "my club" as I've been watching Bryan McCabe's rise all season. Sheldon Souray has 35 points. I'm well aware he's been injured (only played 60 games), but compare his stats to Bryan McCabe's and you clearly can see who the more dominant of the two are, 13 games difference, 17 points difference. (by the way, Souray still is among the goalscoring defencemen leaders). I'm not trying to belittle Souray's season (my comment about "nobody knowing him..." may have been a tad harsh) but the poster I was responding to seems to believe that Souray's injury are all that stand between him being one of the top 5 defencemen of this season, and that is a ridiculous claim.
Okay sorry for not understanding the joke... and I can understand your point about Souray .... and since injury happen players should be evaluated on what they have done and not what they could have done.. so yes I agree Souray should not be considered as a Norris candidate...

Old
03-31-2004, 03:50 PM
CupBound

What is Montreal's payroll?
Calgary had a lot less to work with. This is a team that played games without their 2 top goalies and top 4 centres at once because of injuries. Sutter did a great job.

Montreal is a team that has underachieved till now, with their payroll they should be a lock for playoffs.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:57 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
I really like Don Cherry, but he can be a bit of a Maple Leafs homer. He said, "Don't tell me Belfour is not the most valuable guy in the league.

Also on the March 20 Coach's Corner, Cherry weighed in on the coach of the year. When asked who he would give top the top honor to, Don Cherry said, "Me, Mike Sullivan."
"I like Andy Murray; I like (Tortorella.)" Don Cherry also added that "Cluade Julien is doing a good job too."

Here is a link to CBC's Coach's Corner with Don Cherry. Anyone know if he did the show last Saturday? They don't have the clip up, and I am afraid that Chris Therien's dad has had Don Cherry taken off the air.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:09 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudigger
Okay sorry for not understanding the joke... and I can understand your point about Souray .... and since injury happen players should be evaluated on what they have done and not what they could have done.. so yes I agree Souray should not be considered as a Norris candidate...
It's all good, I did a poor job of getting my point across.

I in no way mean that Souray does not deserve recognition for his season, as he's had a strong one (I'd put him as outside the Norris race due to his inability to play for as many games as the "elite" defencemen in the league, just like Forsberg should not win the Hart because he's played far too few games, and although he's undoubtedly the best player, he's not had the opportunity to show it), and I for one hope he continues where he left off once he's completely healthy. I just see him as somewhat inflated from his 6 point game (29 points in 59 games without that game) although, he's still got 14 goals in 59 games if you remove that game, so he's definitely got a heck of a shot.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
I really like Don Cherry, but he can be a bit of a Maple Leafs homer. He said, "Don't tell me Belfour is not the most valuable guy in the league.

Also on the March 20 Coach's Corner, Cherry weighed in on the coach of the year. When asked who he would give top the top honor to, Don Cherry said, "Me, Mike Sullivan."
"I like Andy Murray; I like (Tortorella.)" Don Cherry also added that "Cluade Julien is doing a good job too."

Here is a link to CBC's Coach's Corner with Don Cherry. Anyone know if he did the show last Saturday? They don't have the clip up, and I am afraid that Chris Therien's dad has had Don Cherry taken off the air.
Like I said before, I was making that comment tongue in cheek, as I see Cherry is to the Leafs what Demers was to the Habs. (in how they'd make their assessments)

I don't think many people would argue that without Belfour the Leafs would be far worse than they are though, would they? He's definitely up there in value when comparing him to the "value" guys like St. Louis, Brodeur, Theodore, and so on.

My man for the Early pink slip...I mean...Coach of the Year, is Andy Murray. He's done great while coaching through adversity...I'd even nominate him for the Masterton (Masterton, or Masterson?), if coaches could get it.

I hope to god they didn't rid Don Cherry of his air time, as much as he's a wind bag at times, and some of his claims are quite odd in nature, he does a very good job of giving credit where it is due, as well as denouncing people for their poor actions as well. All that on top of being the best dressed man in Canada.

Old
03-31-2004, 06:48 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs
The only problem I have with this is Theodore winning the Vezina and Julien winning the Jack Adams. Ryder winning the Calder is a fine pick, although I don't think that he'll beat Raycroft out for it.
Demers thinks Brodeur should win the Vezina, not Theodore. He has Theodore as a possible runnerup, which I don't see anything wrong with.

Old
03-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
What is the rule to qualify as a rookie?? How many games is it?

EDIT: Prior to this year both Raycroft and Komisarek had played 21 NHL games, why is Raycroft considered a rookie while Komi is not??

Last edited by Owen Wilson: 03-31-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Closed Thread