HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I need a fair assessment

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2004, 10:38 AM
  #1
Hardcore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
I need a fair assessment

Nashville Predator games are rarely on t.v. and I do not get to see them at all. I would like to get a fair assessment of the following four players: Scott Hartnell, David Legwand, Adam Hall, and Scottie Upshall. I figured where is a better place to get good info on the players then on the Nashville players. I know there will be some bias towards a player but I would really like a fair opinion on each player.
I would like to know how are they currently playing and what are their potential.

Will Legwand ever be the top line centre who can put up 40 goals, 90 points or will he end up being a great 2nd line centre with a great 2 way game putting up over 60 points. He has had a dissappointing year.

Will Hartnell be a top tier power forward as he was hyped up to be. I think ya but what do you guys think? It looks like he could have scored 25 goals this year if it was not for his injury. He is also a very good hitter, and forechecker. What is his potential? 30 goals, 40 goals? 60 points? 70 points? Also how bad was his concussion and ankle sprain?

How has Upshall faired this season as well? How serious was his sprained knee? How has he played for Milwaukee? Whats his potential in his prime. Will he reach his potential? Too early to tell?

What about Adam Hall. He can really become a pretty good power forward in the NHL although he is not putting up the stats I expected from him compared to last year. Whats up with that? Sophomore jinx? This Michigan State star is putting up similar numbers to last year but I figure he should be scoring 20. And what was the deal with Shanahan earlier in the year? What is his potential as well.

Sorry for so many questions.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance to everyone that replies.

Hardcore is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
  #2
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore
Nashville Predator games are rarely on t.v. and I do not get to see them at all. I would like to get a fair assessment of the following four players: Scott Hartnell, David Legwand, Adam Hall, and Scottie Upshall. I figured where is a better place to get good info on the players then on the Nashville players. I know there will be some bias towards a player but I would really like a fair opinion on each player.
I would like to know how are they currently playing and what are their potential.

Will Legwand ever be the top line centre who can put up 40 goals, 90 points or will he end up being a great 2nd line centre with a great 2 way game putting up over 60 points. He has had a dissappointing year.

Will Hartnell be a top tier power forward as he was hyped up to be. I think ya but what do you guys think? It looks like he could have scored 25 goals this year if it was not for his injury. He is also a very good hitter, and forechecker. What is his potential? 30 goals, 40 goals? 60 points? 70 points? Also how bad was his concussion and ankle sprain?

How has Upshall faired this season as well? How serious was his sprained knee? How has he played for Milwaukee? Whats his potential in his prime. Will he reach his potential? Too early to tell?

What about Adam Hall. He can really become a pretty good power forward in the NHL although he is not putting up the stats I expected from him compared to last year. Whats up with that? Sophomore jinx? This Michigan State star is putting up similar numbers to last year but I figure he should be scoring 20. And what was the deal with Shanahan earlier in the year? What is his potential as well.

Sorry for so many questions.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance to everyone that replies.
This will be bias but here goes.

David Legwand, will be a 60-70 point two-way center, some think that's a bad thing, I don't, I'd take 3 more just like him in a heartbeat.

Scott Hartnell, I see as a 25-30 goal guy with equal number of assist, if he can get through the injuries.

Adam Hall, will become a great player with Hartnell like potential.

Scotty Upshall, amazing speed and hustle, might replace Orszagh one day on the 2nd line with Erat and Legwand, making an extremely fast line. 60-70 point potential.

All of this changes if the NHL opens the game up somehow and speed becomes important again, especially with Leggy, Erat and Upshall.

triggrman is online now  
Old
03-31-2004, 11:46 AM
  #3
Radulov for Czar*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
wow, you actually thought of intelligent questions for each player. kudos to you my friend, and i'll share some answers after class!

Radulov for Czar* is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
  #4
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
This will be bias but here goes.

David Legwand, will be a 60-70 point two-way center, some think that's a bad thing, I don't, I'd take 3 more just like him in a heartbeat.

Scott Hartnell, I see as a 25-30 goal guy with equal number of assist, if he can get through the injuries.

Adam Hall, will become a great player with Hartnell like potential.

Scotty Upshall, amazing speed and hustle, might replace Orszagh one day on the 2nd line with Erat and Legwand, making an extremely fast line. 60-70 point potential.

All of this changes if the NHL opens the game up somehow and speed becomes important again, especially with Leggy, Erat and Upshall.
I agree with all this. I think most of Legwand's points will be assists as he is more of a playmaker. I don't know if he will ever score 30 goals. Probably not, so Trigg nailed it. He will be a good 2 way center with he 20-25 goal/35-50 assist guy.

The thing that has slowed down "baby bull" Hartnell is injuries, but he still likes to go to the high traffic areas and is good along the boards. He has a great shot, so again I agree with trigg's assessment of 25/25.

Since Hall and Hartnell went to skating school during the offseason, they have both looked a whole lot better on their skates. Especially Hartnell who fell down on the ice as much as Bill Houlder did....which is not good BTW. Hall more than any foward on our team likes to camp out in front of the net, so he will be rewarded. He has an under-rated 2way game. I see him being a good third liner who gets PP time because of his willingness to camp in front of the net. A 20 goal guy with 20- 25 assists.

Finally, we come to Upshall, who I know the least about. From what I have seen, Upshall seems to have good hockey sense and good speed. He needs to bulk up a bit more IMO because opposing players were having their way with him. I think age will alone will help him bulk up. There is a big diffrence in bulk between an 18 yo kid and a 22-23 yo man. Anyways, he was having a good season down playing for the Ads... (almost a pt per game) when he went down with a knee injury. He then came back and again went out on the IR after 1 or 2 games. He is now back playing with the high scoring Admirals and has 2 assists in 2 games. As far as NHL potential, I think he could end up being a second liner, if not that at least a 3rd line player with good offensive upside.

tulsytrid1 is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 01:03 PM
  #5
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Finally, we come to Upshall, who I know the least about. From what I have seen, Upshall seems to have good hockey sense and good speed. He needs to bulk up a bit more IMO because opposing players were having their way with him. I think age will alone will help him bulk up. There is a big diffrence in bulk between an 18 yo kid and a 22-23 yo man. Anyways, he was having a good season down playing for the Ads... (almost a pt per game) when he went down with a knee injury. He then came back and again went out on the IR after 1 or 2 games. He is now back playing with the high scoring Admirals and has 2 assists in 2 games. As far as NHL potential, I think he could end up being a second liner, if not that at least a 3rd line player with good offensive upside.
You don't select players in the first round to be a 2nd liner or a 3rd line player with "good offensive upside", you select the players with the idea of them being able to be your first or second line player or hopefully your franchise player, in the future.

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 01:27 PM
  #6
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
You don't select players in the first round to be a 2nd liner or a 3rd line player with "good offensive upside", you select the players with the idea of them being able to be your first or second line player or hopefully your franchise player, in the future.
I disagree, especially with Poile, he drafts character and work ethic first and talent second. Some say that's Poile's downside, I say it's his best asset. Upshall is 2nd line talent, but he works hard and has a ton of grit.

triggrman is online now  
Old
03-31-2004, 06:25 PM
  #7
Hardcore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
I appreciate all of the responses but I would like to get a little bit more if its not too much to ask. I would like to see what as many people say as that would give me a better read on all the players. I also like how people replied, but I would like to see more. I am particularly looking to your assessment of each player Jonesey (no pressure). I really like how the opinions are really honest here and I do not feel that you guys are overrating your players but telling it as it is. Thanks a lot!!!!

Hardcore is offline  
Old
03-31-2004, 08:31 PM
  #8
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
I'm pretty high on Hartnell. As with most powerforwards, it might take him a little more time to develop. But he's has a strong base of everything. His shooting skills are pretty under-rated, in my opinion. He was on-pace to a 25+ goal season before his injury, playing in a secondary role. I think he will be an excellent complementary player, similar-style to Adam Deadmarsh or Shane Doan.

I like Hall OK. He's extremely limited in his overall skills, but he does a lot of little things. The best word to describe him is smothering. He does great board-work. He's always willing to go in front of the net. He's a warrior, but not as skilled as Hartnell.

As others will be quick to point out, I'm not a Legwand fan. He might be a 60-point center if he gets first line ice-time and loads of power-play time. In a second line role, I don't see Legwand being anymore than a 40-point-ish player. He's very weak and gets knocked off the puck easier than anybody on the team. He looses the puck more than anybody on the team-- he's puck control skills are extremely limited. As for his skills, I don't think they're anything to drool over, at all.

Most of us have only seen Upshall for a few games in limited action. I think he's potentially the most skilled player of the four, but I think he's going to need time. He's a powerforward in a small body. He needs to get stronger and and he's going to need plenty of time to translate his skilled powerforward game into the NHL. But I think he has a very strong base of skills and attributes. He's got more than a little of everything.

I'm hesitant to do point-predictions, because a lot of it depends on quality and quantity of ice-time, quality of linemates, coaching style, and the general style of the NHL (which may be different with new rule changes).


Last edited by dulzhok: 03-31-2004 at 08:45 PM.
dulzhok is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.