HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Begin getting a free ride?

Old
11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Why is Begin getting a free ride?

Incendiary Post #1:

Why are Smolinski/Kostopoulus always mentioned but Begin is never mentioned as a candidate for replacement via a call-up? Smoke I can see being needed in the lineup because he's a centre. Kosto has not been spectacular but he has been solid for a 4th liner.

I don't have any problem with keeping a guy like Begin around the team. He's good depth, got tons of heart and is a decent PKer, but aside from that and the occasional decent hit, why is he getting a free pass? Lapierre could bring at least as much energy while contributing much more offensively. I'm just getting tired of seeing several times a game where Begin could do something creative with the puck but never does.

That is all.

Last edited by zurg999: 11-29-2007 at 03:16 PM.
zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:53 AM
habitants9_4

Thats cause he's a pest...and hits a lot more then Smoke and Kosto....it is needed for a role player..

habitants9_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:55 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Just wait for next year. Smoke will be gone, and maybe Bégin will be too.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:56 AM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Bégin and Kosto hit.

Smolinski just sucks.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I don't see any of them as candidates for short-term replacement. Begin is basically perfect as a 4th liner IMHO. He'll sacrifice his body, he'll agitate a bit, once in a long while he'll even score. At some point he'll be injured, and a young guy like Lapierre will have a chance to steal his job. But there's no reason to advance the schedule on that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dennis the Habs

Yes, Begin is a great role player. I don't think he can handle 15 mins per game. But he does his best when playing as a 4th line role player!!!

The way he encountered Chara in the last MTL-BOS game shows he deserves to be in the line up.

Dennis the Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Capitano

Begin is our only mean player.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Megaforce

I agree. Begin. He's boring to watch. He's finished. Cooked. Can't even hit because he's too slow and injured to catch up with anybody. If fans love his personality so much, give him a job doing play by play.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4 View Post
Thats cause he's a pest...and hits a lot more then Smoke and Kosto....it is needed for a role player..
I agree with that. But Smoke and Kosto seem to be able to complete a pass while moving or actually hit the net with a shot, like hockey players do sometimes.

I like Begin, I think he was a good grab off waivers. I'd like to keep him with the team; sometimes I think of a scenario he could be a guy that might have to come in the lineup in the playoffs or a critical game and needs up boosting the team. But if you look around at the really decent teams in the league, players on the fourth generally can chip in offensively more than once in a while.

Old
11-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I agree with that. But Smoke and Kosto seem to be able to complete a pass while moving or actually hit the net with a shot, like hockey players do sometimes.

I like Begin, I think he was a good grab off waivers. I'd like to keep him with the team; sometimes I think of a scenario he could be a guy that might have to come in the lineup in the playoffs or a critical game and needs up boosting the team. But if you look around at the really decent teams in the league, players on the fourth generally can chip in offensively more than once in a while.
I'm not doubting you, but can you give some examples?

Old
11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
I'm not doubting you, but can you give some examples?
Doubting is permitted. Carolina, Ottawa, 2 teams with guys on the fourth that can do a little more than dump the puck and with at least one guy with a decent scoring touch,that's all I'm talking about.

Old
11-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Doubting is permitted. Carolina, Ottawa, 2 teams with guys on the fourth that can do a little more than dump the puck and with at least one guy with a decent scoring touch,that's all I'm talking about.
Names, I need names!

Old
11-29-2007, 12:32 PM

I kind of agree with the tread starter...guys like Bégin or Bouillon for example, have been elevated to the role of everyday players, when they're really not. I think both of them are more effective when given spot duty. Both Bégin/Bouillon should be in a constant rotation with some of the guys in reserve Grabovski/Gorges IMO

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 12:54 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I kind of agree with the tread starter...guys like Bégin or Bouillon for example, have been elevated to the role of everyday players, when they're really not. I think both of them are more effective when given spot duty. Both Bégin/Bouillon should be in a constant rotation with some of the guys in reserve Grabovski/Gorges IMO
While I somewhat agree with Bouillon (He's our 6th D-Men, but should be scratched a little more often than he is right now), I completely disagree with the Begin statement. I'd rather have Lapierre play full-time in HAM and Begin playing full-time in MTL than having both of them playing part-time in MTL. Lapierre is tough, but I'd rather have Begin to kill penalties at this point. I'd take both of them on lower lines way before Grabovski, but that's not the point here. Don't have any problems with Smoke and Kosto on the 4th, either.

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 11-29-2007 at 02:39 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis the Habs View Post
Yes, Begin is a great role player. I don't think he can handle 15 mins per game. But he does his best when playing as a 4th line role player!!!

The way he encountered Chara in the last MTL-BOS game shows he deserves to be in the line up.
He played 15mins ONCE this season he's usually at 10/11mins wich is fine. Bégin is excellent on the PK, he's agressive, block shots and hits people.

Among fowards he's #2 with blocked shots with 16 (Higgins=18) #1 for Hits with 56 (Ryder is 2nd with 47) 2nd in the +/- wiht +2 (Chipper+3).

We need him on this team more than you think zurg999.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Begin does his job very well. He's not getting a free ride, he earns his way.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Doctor House

Work ethic?

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
mabus

Quote:
Incendiary Post #1:

Why are Smolinski/Kostopoulus always mentioned but Begin is never mentioned as a candidate for replacement via a call-up?
Because Begin is playing very well.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
BigTimer*

With Smolinski, Kostopolous, Boullion, and to a certain extent Begin on the team... we aren't going anywhere. No need to single out any of them as the reason for our mediocrity. All 4 need to go before this team can take the next step.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:17 PM
kyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
With Smolinski, Kostopolous, Boullion, and to a certain extent Begin on the team... we aren't going anywhere. No need to single out any of them as the reason for our mediocrity. All 4 need to go before this team can take the next step.
You are making it sound like the reason the team is not a contender is because of our 4th line players and a fringe defenseman

kyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyne View Post
You are making it sound like the reason the team is not a contender is because of our 4th line players and a fringe defenseman
The real reason we're not a contender is because these 4th line players are being utilized in key moments by our incompetent coach who appears to think of them as top-9 forwards. But for Gainey to fire Carbo, it would take a complete collapse which most likely won't happen. We'll finish either 7th-8th-9th... and either get whooped in the first round or ride some sort of emotional high and win the in first round only to embarass ourselves in the 2nd. Gainey will then consider the season a success... Carbo will stay... and we'll remain in mediocrity for another year.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:28 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Time to come off that bull****...
Don't worry about him Brownman.

Anyhoo, Begin is a 4th line energy guy who is capable of scoring top titty now and then. He score a couple in the same game not long ago.

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 11-29-2007 at 02:39 PM.
David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:37 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Don't worry about him Brownman. (His parents are related. Doesn't like to talk about it.)

Anyhoo, Begin is a 4th line energy guy who is capable of scoring top titty now and then. He score a couple in the same game not long ago.
you are right, begin is very capable of scoring 7-10 goals per year, and even though i like kostopoulos better, i think begin deserves to play in every game, because he brings much needed grit and a physical presence that our team really needs

however, he plays way too much...he should be on the 4th line and play nothing more than 10 minutes per game

i know players like saku and higgins and most of our players run out of gas fast, but carbo should emphasize more on his 3rd line and play more of a 3 line game, and leave the 4th liners to kill penalties and play less 5 on 5

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
He played 15mins ONCE this season he's usually at 10/11mins wich is fine. Bégin is excellent on the PK, he's agressive, block shots and hits people.

Among fowards he's #2 with blocked shots with 16 (Higgins=18) #1 for Hits with 56 (Ryder is 2nd with 47) 2nd in the +/- wiht +2 (Chipper+3).

We need him on this team more than you think zurg999.

Awesome picture!

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Who cares really??..whether its Begin..Kosto..Smokes..Dandenault..switching any of them for a Lapierre is gonna change absolutly nothing to this team...useless

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote