HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey without any water!

Old
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
saveourpens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojorisin View Post
Let me get this straight you skate hard for 70 minutes straight with out water. Yeah... I'll call ********.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:04 PM
windflare

Some people have metabolisms that allow this to be done, albeit at reduced performance, of course.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Start drinking a glass of water every 10 minutes, starting 4 hours before the practice.

Avoid urinating during this time.

Stop drinking water 1 hour before practise.

Make absolutely sure you do not urinate. This is important.

While you normally should always try to be one of the first on the ice, allow your teammates and coaches to go ahead of you onto the ice-stay in the dressing room.

Find the coach's shoes and piss on them.
Best answer in the thread so far.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:54 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Do not follow this advice....it is deadly. You can drink too much water

Water Intoxication
Did you read past the first line of the post?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:03 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Hockey without water is just stupid. You're not performing nearly as well if you're dehydrated, does your coach even do any of the drills? Seriously, someone needs to put him through the same drills and deny him any semblance of hydration, if he gets thirsty he can lick the bloody ice.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Nostradanglus

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher0805 View Post
Kevin Bieksa played the entire 7 period playoff game against the Dallas Stars without drinking or eating anything. He never drinks water during games because he "doesn't like the way it feels in his stomach".
During that game some of the players got an IV drip in the later overtime breaks. He may not have been drinking it, but Juice would need his juice somehow.

Nostradanglus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 05:28 AM
PensfanUK

Your coach sounds like a complete muppet. All he is doing is lowering your performance and creating potentially dangerous situations.

PensfanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangler87 View Post
....not once, did my coach ever let us bring any water on the ice during practices. He would say that water is for the weak....
Can hardly see this being true....unless the players are dogging around when they go for a drink and the coach thinks this is 'discipline'....

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
You should all give a charity donation to http://www.dhmo.org/

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Your coach is betting the tightness of his O-ring that none of the kids he coaches gets injured due to his policy.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Honestly, your coach is an idiot. If water was "for the weak" why do NHLers drink water on the bench? Your coach is hurting your performance on the ice, and he's creating a dangerous situation. If anyone on your team gets hurt, or worse, because of the dehydration, he will almost certainly be sued.

My guess is that if you report him, he will be forced to allow water, and you will suddenly see your ice time reduced or disappear. Crappy choice, and I wouldn't fault you for staying quiet. I would just recommend that you drink a lot before the games, and be careful, look up the symptoms for dehydration, and watch for them during practice/games.
Bingo. Don Cherry said this was regular practice in his day but then they discovered how dangerous it is.

Your coach is an idiot. I would seriously talk to a school official about it.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 07:36 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Did you read past the first line of the post?
Of course I did, hense I only quoted the dubious part. Just wanted the kid to know that over intake of water to compensate for his lack during practice could be worse than the dehydration.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Jake1999

your coach is an idiot. you guys cant even have practices up to your peak because your bodies arent getting what they need. you need water. shoot smuggle it in

Jake1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 09:43 PM
BINGO

Print this thread out and slip it in with his belongings....let him find it later, when you are gone.

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 07:48 AM
newfish

Send a message via AIM to newfish
I think he's seen "Remember The Titans" to much.

newfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:04 AM
CN7hockey

If you are drinking a bottle of water in each of your classes throughout the day and replenishing it often, good for you! You are a smart athlete. Unfortunately, I would bet that less than 20% of the players on your team are properly hydrating each and every day. That means there are at least 12 skaters on your team who are doing serious damage to their muscles and internal organs every time they train. Kids cannot be expected to be experts on nutritional guidelines and the health needs of their bodies. That soda pop and McD's won't hurt, will it? No offense chap..but you are all teenagers who are still in the mind-set of, "I am invinsible. My body will rebound from anything I put it through." Obviously, your archaeic coach believes that same peice of garbage. Is he concerned about the health of his team? ...or the glory of winning the state championship? A championship title will look so much better on his resume than the acknowledgement of building the next generation of strong, healthy men. Listen to the advise from these other readers, but more importantnly, pay attention to your own gut feeling. Good luck my man!

CN7hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Dangler87

Well my coach has coached for about 30 + years I think, and he has won 6 state championship titles. He has been the coach of the year for several years.

I drink 6 water bottles a day, usually about 4 before practice, which is after school. And I agree with someone who posted it already, that my coach is like Denzel is "Remember the Titans", with the no water policy. During games we are surrounded by tons of water bottles, but during the practices, especially the hardcore non-stop sprinting, Herbies, etc., is when us players really need the water. For some reason as well, my coach doesn't allow any of the parents to watch us practice. I mean, that isn't bad, but maybe he doesn't want the parents to watch what he puts us through...just an idea haha. There are a total of 4 coaches on the ice, and none of them suggest water, so we can't really just blame it on him.

Dangler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Well my coach has coached for about 30 + years I think, and he has won 6 state championship titles. He has been the coach of the year for several years.

I drink 6 water bottles a day, usually about 4 before practice, which is after school. And I agree with someone who posted it already, that my coach is like Denzel is "Remember the Titans", with the no water policy. During games we are surrounded by tons of water bottles, but during the practices, especially the hardcore non-stop sprinting, Herbies, etc., is when us players really need the water. For some reason as well, my coach doesn't allow any of the parents to watch us practice. I mean, that isn't bad, but maybe he doesn't want the parents to watch what he puts us through...just an idea haha. There are a total of 4 coaches on the ice, and none of them suggest water, so we can't really just blame it on him.

Thats is completely ridiculous, regardless of his credentials, someone can get seriously hurt. If parents saw, this would be all over your local news.

What team and where do you play for?

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Stripes

Quote:

What do you mean "for some reason"?

It's blatantly obvious.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:20 AM
Greeneye

your coach is a complete moron.

Greeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Sportacus
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Best coaching tidbit i've heard since "concussions don't exist"
rofl

12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Reverend_Hellh0und

Your coach is an idiot and should be ignored. you need to hydrate.

Reverend_Hellh0und is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:01 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:

That sounds about right. Your coach drives his players to physical exhaustion (on the ice 6 days per week?) so they'll be stronger for their games. If anyone questions his methods he's got a whole lot of trophies to back him up. He's been lucky so far that nobody's been seriously hurt (I assume).

There's a saying that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But what if it does kill you? If you don't believe any of the posts in this thread then do your own research on the effects of dehydration. What your coach is doing isn't right. If the assistant coaches support him then they're fools. I'm not trying to be mean -- I'm really concerned for you and your team mates.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:11 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Start drinking a glass of water every 10 minutes, starting 4 hours before the practice.

Avoid urinating during this time.

Stop drinking water 1 hour before practise.

Make absolutely sure you do not urinate. This is important.

While you normally should always try to be one of the first on the ice, allow your teammates and coaches to go ahead of you onto the ice-stay in the dressing room.

Find the coach's shoes and piss on them.

Well played, sir. Had me going right up to the last line.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Jake1999

I find it funny because my travel coach makes us drink water during practice.

Jake1999 is offline   Reply With Quote