HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anisimov and Jagr?

Old
11-29-2007, 05:39 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union. But they are their own country. And yes, Ukrainian and Russian are very similar. They're both Slavic languages.
LOL trust me, I know Ukraine is its own country. My minor is Geography.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:52 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
he's definitely not ready, his stats arent even that good in hartford. he needs time to develop in north america hockey.
Agreed.......Dubinsky has played well and is not the reason why Jagr is not scoring. To replace the kid and send him to Hartforw, would be doing him an injustice.

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Why not? Dubinsky and Anisimov have similar games. Artem may be a bit quicker and more creative with the puck as well as a better passer than Dubi.

Anisimov is a blue chip prospect who has a huge upside. Why not give him a cup of coffee with the big club?
Because he's 19 and a whopping 190 soaking wet and fully geared. I wouldn't want to see full sized NHL defenders taking a run at him. Granted in the minors there are some fairly large players but none are as skilled with skating and timing and he's got a better chance of avoiding them. He needs time to mature physically, nevermind just adapting to the NA game. Did Blackburn teach you nothing?

vipernsx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Anisimov + Cherepanov

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Agreed.......Dubinsky has played well and is not the reason why Jagr is not scoring. To replace the kid and send him to Hartforw, would be doing him an injustice.
I think Anisimov deserves a shot at some point this year. But I never said it should be at the expense of Dubinsky. Hossa or Prucha can sit if all the forwards are healthy.

ie:

Straka Anisimov Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan (these 3 really seem to understand eachother)
Callahan Dubinsky Avery
Prucha/Hossa Betts Orr

If Dawes at 5'8" 190 lbs got a taste last year, there's no reason Anisimov at 6'3" 190 lbs can't get a shot.

I'm not saying this lineup is going to instantly click and win us the cup. I just think it deserves a look. Artem looked very good to me in training camp, despite hardly playing in NA at all at that point. I'm fairly confident he'll be called up at some point this season.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
I think Anisimov deserves a shot at some point this year. But I never said it should be at the expense of Dubinsky. Hossa or Prucha can sit if all the forwards are healthy.

ie:

Straka Anisimov Jagr
Drury Gomez Shanahan (these 3 really seem to understand eachother)
Callahan Dubinsky Avery
Prucha/Hossa Betts Orr

If Dawes at 5'8" 190 lbs got a taste last year, there's no reason Anisimov at 6'3" 190 lbs can't get a shot.

I'm not saying this lineup is going to instantly click and win us the cup. I just think it deserves a look. Artem looked very good to me in training camp, despite hardly playing in NA at all at that point. I'm fairly confident he'll be called up at some point this season.
You're using size to justify this? No reason? How about he's not ready. He needs time to develop. He needs to show confidence and scoring in the A (starting to happen). He needs to get adjusted to NA play and NA life. How about the long list of players who are doing better than him (Dawes, Moore, You seem to think we should do this just because you can't think of a reason not to. Preseason was a long time ago.

I think he's better off in the A this year but naturally if he turns it up (and I mean really turns it on) and if a roster spot opens up by injury, give it a go. Just because? No.

Old
11-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
You're using size to justify this? No reason? How about he's not ready. He needs time to develop. He needs to show confidence and scoring in the A (starting to happen). He needs to get adjusted to NA play and NA life. How about the long list of players who are doing better than him (Dawes, Moore, You seem to think we should do this just because you can't think of a reason not to. Preseason was a long time ago.

I think he's better off in the A this year but naturally if he turns it up (and I mean really turns it on) and if a roster spot opens up by injury, give it a go. Just because? No.
Who are you? Anisimov's personal trainer and psychologist? You tell me he's not ready, but how do you know that? The answer is, you don't. I wasn't using size to justify it. I was merely pointing out that you can't use size / weight as the deciding factor in calling someone up, because Dawes is much smaller and weighs the same and was brought up a year ago for a taste of the NHL. So you can't just tell me Anisimov doesn't weigh enough to be called up for a look. Do you follow?

I was also using the fact that he was close to making the team out of camp. If Dubinsky wasn't here, he would've probably been given a healthier look. Add the fact that he's scored a point in 9 of his last 10 games and has shown from the beginning that he has a very mature defensive awareness, which should translate seamlessly into our system. Just because Dawes and Moore are "doing better" doesn't mean they get a shot over Anisimov. Dawes on this team is overkill because he's too small to contribute anywhere else but on the scoresheet. If he isn't scoring, he's not a positive for us. He still has that unsure look when he's in his own zone. Moore has been up a few times as a backup in case one of our semi-injured players couldn't go. I think he should still get a look as well on the fourth line, since I'm anti-Hollweg and don't think Orr needs to be in every single game, but since we're still having trouble scoring consistently, it's absolutely worth a look.

It benefits the team by giving us a better look at what we have in the system, (and you never know, Artem could be a great fit for some of our wingers), and at the same time it doesn't hurt his development to give him a taste of the big show to keep him motivated. Playing in the AHL isn't exactly a dream come true for a player like him, who has already played in higher competetion in Russia.

I think many of us feel Prucha and Hossa haven't lived up to their expectations this year. So if it comes time for one or both of them to sit, it doesn't mean we HAVE to bring up a winger to replace them. That's the benefit of having such a versatile lineup.

To say he definitely needs a full season in the AHL (unless he "really turns it on") without a single call-up even for 1 or 2 games to give him a taste is naive. He's been playing very well from the few Pack games I've seen. I'm not saying he's ready for a full-time job right now, but I don't think he's as far away as some of you think.

Old
11-29-2007, 11:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Who are you? Anisimov's personal trainer and psychologist? You tell me he's not ready, but how do you know that? The answer is, you don't. I wasn't using size to justify it. I was merely pointing out that you can't use size / weight as the deciding factor in calling someone up, because Dawes is much smaller and weighs the same and was brought up a year ago for a taste of the NHL. So you can't just tell me Anisimov doesn't weigh enough to be called up for a look. Do you follow?
And who are you? The Rangers director of player development? You tell me he's ready, but how do you know that? The answer is, you don't.

Quote:
Ok, I misinterpreted this line. I read it as Anisimov should get a chance because he's bigger and not he should get a chance because Dawes is smaller (and got a chance). I would also point out that Dawes had an even better training camp and has shown for his stuff in the AHL the past few season. Every time he gets sent down, he's lighting it up down there. Of course weight and size has nothing to do with it otherwise I'd be saying "Hugh Jessiman should get called up! He's finally scoring!"

Quote:
Just because Dawes and Moore are "doing better" doesn't mean they get a shot over Anisimov.
No but Anisimov is still early in his development. I would point out how "close" Dubinsky was to making the team last year but he got sent down and got to work on his game more. IMO, that was a good thing. Dawes is too small? It sounds like you're making an argument against Dawes rather than for Anisimov.

Quote:
It benefits the team by giving us a better look at what we have in the system
you're right but that time has come and gone. It was called preseason. My real question for you is why do you think a call up (which would most likely be for just a few games) would benefit Anisomiv's development so much? You're talking about relegating Dubinsky to the 3rd line, playing Drury out of position, and sitting a roster player in Prucha or Hossa. And we give **** to Renney for changing up the lines every shift?

I know you said at some point in the season but our roster is so packed that calling Anisimov up just to take a look is overkill and I think he's better off working on his game in Hartford. If it weren't for all the injuries, we'd be having some crazy roster issues at the moment. If there are injuries of such a great magnitude that we had to call someone up, of course he's on my list of potential call ups but I'm not gonna tear up the lineup to make it happen. It'd probably have to be Dubinsky or Gomez who gets hurt because I nor Renney would mess up the lines just to get him on the first line. And he's not getting called up to play on the fourth either.

Did I say he needs a full season? No, you are definitely putting words in my mouth. I said he's better off. Just like Manny Malhotra would have been better off with a few more years in junior. AA is only 19. What is the big rush? I just don't see the need to do this so soon.

Old
11-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
And who are you? The Rangers director of player development? You tell me he's ready, but how do you know that? The answer is, you don't.
What? I didn't tell you he's ready at all. I said he deserves a taste. He played very well in camp, and has scored points in 9 of his last 10. To me, that says he's ready for a CHANCE; not that he's ready to play in the NHL.

That means, we call him up for 1-2 games to see how he reacts and how he plays. If he looks out of place and not ready, you send him back down after the first or second game, and he stays motivated in the AHL because he wants to get back to the NHL. It helps to give the players a taste of what they're working so hard towards. If he plays okay, maybe give him a few more games to get a better look. And of course there's the odd chance that he plays incredibly well, scoring, etc, and he fits into this lineup making Hossa, Hollweg, or Prucha expendable in one way or another. You were saying he's not ready to be called up, even for a look. And I don't know how you can know if he's ready or not without calling him up at least for 1 game. He's produced offensively, he's responsible defensively. If the only "concern" is the physicality, I say he better get accustomed to it sooner than later. I don't think he's as fragile as some think. I've seen him take some hard hits and stay on his feet. He's going to bulk up over the next year or two, but he's not going to turn into Eric Lindros. This isn't baseball.

Quote:
No but Anisimov is still early in his development. I would point out how "close" Dubinsky was to making the team last year but he got sent down and got to work on his game more. IMO, that was a good thing. Dawes is too small? It sounds like you're making an argument against Dawes rather than for Anisimov.
Good point about Dubi.

I said Dawes is not only too small for our lineup, but he still had that deer in the headlights look on his face when he's forced to play defense in his own zone. Anisimov didn't have that look, even in training camp. And he seems to have been starting to produce offensively in the last 11 or so games. If our offense had been clicking since day 1, or if our offense ever showed for more than 1 game that it was capable of scoring more than 3 goals, then I wouldn't be so quick to insert a rook for a look.

Quote:
you're right but that time has come and gone. It was called preseason. My real question for you is why do you think a call up (which would most likely be for just a few games) would benefit Anisomiv's development so much? You're talking about relegating Dubinsky to the 3rd line, playing Drury out of position, and sitting a roster player in Prucha or Hossa. And we give **** to Renney for changing up the lines every shift?
Well, you have a point here about relegating Dubi to the 3rd line. Especially after the Straka-Dubinsky-Jagr line looked so dominant at times tonight vs the Isles. Before this game, I would've responded by saying that I think Dubinsky's going to get put back on the 3rd line and Drury on the 1st soon. If that were the case, I prefer Drury on the wing with Gomez and Shanahan. These three seem to understand eachother more than any other line so far. Drury and Shanahan have no problem shooting off of Gomez's passes, and Drury is always in front of the net. That's why I thought it would be perfect to try out Straka-Anisimov-Jagr, Drury-Gomez-Shanahan, Callahan-Dubinsky-Avery(Prucha), Hossa, Betts, Orr. But after tonight's game, I think the first line has a lot of potential. Straka really completes that line. What an underrated player. Did you see him hustling back tonight after a giveaway by one of his D? I think he may be the fastest guy in the league from a stand-still or stopping and going the other way. Anyway, I think the Anisimov experiment will have to happen sometime later in the season.

Quote:
I know you said at some point in the season but our roster is so packed that calling Anisimov up just to take a look is overkill and I think he's better off working on his game in Hartford. If it weren't for all the injuries, we'd be having some crazy roster issues at the moment. If there are injuries of such a great magnitude that we had to call someone up, of course he's on my list of potential call ups but I'm not gonna tear up the lineup to make it happen. It'd probably have to be Dubinsky or Gomez who gets hurt because I nor Renney would mess up the lines just to get him on the first line. And he's not getting called up to play on the fourth either.
Right. I was expecting the offense to continue to not show up. But the big guns did tonight against the Isles. Let's hope we don't suffer an Islanders hangover.

Quote:
Did I say he needs a full season? No, you are definitely putting words in my mouth. I said he's better off. Just like Manny Malhotra would have been better off with a few more years in junior. AA is only 19. What is the big rush? I just don't see the need to do this so soon.
There's no rush, and thats precisely why I want him to get a look, and don't expect him to stand out. But I think with the potential he's shown in the limited action we've seen him in so far, he is worth the look THIS season. I know he's only 19, but the game isn't what it used to be. Look at how many young players are coming into the league now and really shining as 18,19, 20, 21 year olds. This is a young man's game. It's a game of speed and skill. In Anisimov's case, there might be an untapped offensive game inside, but he's already impressed me, as well as the Rangers coaching staff with his defensive zone awareness. I don't think it's necessary right now, but I think there will be a point in the season, whether due to injuries, or offensive woes, the Anisimov experiment must happen!

Last edited by Bretzky*: 11-30-2007 at 12:45 AM.