HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds Sale Thread

Old
11-11-2007, 01:41 AM
braindead

vCash: 500
It has all been said before, above. This ownership group isn't optimal but it's better than any available alternative. A deal with an ability to get out in 3 years is worse than 5 or 10 but better than 0 or 1. Having a financial penalty upon leaving is better than nothing but the penalty seems very small. Having local ownership is better than out-of-town but we have both. Keeping the 14k clause gives us hope.....a history of bad marketing and a fear of Balsillie type tactics give us pause.

The final offer may or may not be final. It may or may not be taken. The city council may or may not approve it.

There isn't a lot being said because there isn't much to say. We have our team for now. We may keep it. We may not. We may have some say in it and we may not. They may ice a good product and they may not. The new owners may try and fail, they may try and succeed, and they may not try much at all.

It has all been said before.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 12:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
So what's the consensus on this deal, PREDS fan?

Anyone out there?

Not much activity here.

GHOST
It's because most are tired of the bashing we take on this subject.

I pretty much despise all Canadians now because of the BS bashing we receive from most up there.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 01:17 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I pretty much despise all Canadians now because of the BS bashing we receive from most up there.
That's EXACTLY how I feel.

There are some good ones up there (and I appreciate them and their support), but for the most part as far as I'm concerned they can all go to hell.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
thumper73

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
That's EXACTLY how I feel.

There are some good ones up there (and I appreciate them and their support), but for the most part as far as I'm concerned they can all go to hell.
Well that's a great attitude to have. There are over 30million Canadians "Up here", and of that maybe a few dozen have written on the board and have been rude and hostile towards you and the rest of the preds fans. Not really fair to make that generally sweeping statement. As for my own opinion. If you have to wait til football season is over to build up attendance and support then maybe it's not the right place to have another pro franchise? Just a thought. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec, even Halifax deserve a franchise as well. I'm not saying it should be at Nashville's expense but the fans and the people of that town need to step it up and prove you want it there for the long haul, not just after the Vols (insert whatever NCAA team you support) are done.

thumper73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper73 View Post
Well that's a great attitude to have. There are over 30million Canadians "Up here", and of that maybe a few dozen have written on the board and have been rude and hostile towards you and the rest of the preds fans. Not really fair to make that generally sweeping statement. As for my own opinion. If you have to wait til football season is over to build up attendance and support then maybe it's not the right place to have another pro franchise? Just a thought. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec, even Halifax deserve a franchise as well. I'm not saying it should be at Nashville's expense but the fans and the people of that town need to step it up and prove you want it there for the long haul, not just after the Vols (insert whatever NCAA team you support) are done.

So you point your finger at someone for having an "attitude" yet make swiping comments ("not just after the Vols are done").

Its been a long summer for us. We're tired of the attitude displayed here on the boards. Most of the comments are from people from Canada. Yes, not everyone thinks that we need to lose our team and support us, which is great. However, it almost seems like for every 1 person who supports us, 3 are against us.

Its great that alot of Canadian "hockey" fans want more teams. I do not blame them. However, it should not come at the expense of another city. I think if expansion happens in the upcoming years, Canada should get at least one, if not two teams (depending on how many are added).

Given our circumstances, you should see why many are cranky about the subject.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 09:53 AM
thumper73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

So you point your finger at someone for having an "attitude" yet make swiping comments ("not just after the Vols are done").

Its been a long summer for us. We're tired of the attitude displayed here on the boards. Most of the comments are from people from Canada. Yes, not everyone thinks that we need to lose our team and support us, which is great. However, it almost seems like for every 1 person who supports us, 3 are against us.

Its great that alot of Canadian "hockey" fans want more teams. I do not blame them. However, it should not come at the expense of another city. I think if expansion happens in the upcoming years, Canada should get at least one, if not two teams (depending on how many are added).

Given our circumstances, you should see why many are cranky about the subject.
I do understand the mood, and can appreciate the frustration. I have read in your local newspapers, and heard in radio interviews and have read on this thread and others where people have indicated that support always goes up after the college football season is over. That is why I made that comment. As I understand it, not much else is on the collective sports radar other than college football during the fall, which incidentally runs in conjunction with the first quarter of the NHL season.

Old
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually we have the NFL football here to contend with as well, which is number one in every market in the States not just the south.

Old
11-13-2007, 02:29 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Quote:
Why shouldn't I have that attitude? Every day since the sale broke I have read on here and every other hockey message board out there from mostly Canadians that all Preds fans are stupid, inbred rednecks that only watch NASCAR and college football, who after 10 years still don't know the difference between a blueline and a clothes line, and my personal favorite, that we don't deserve the privilege of having a hockey team (not just NHL mind you, that person said we don't deserve any hockey at all). Most never want to write anything about the game, but only focus on attendance. They read articles with half truths and flat out lies and accept them for truth but yet when a rebuttal or correction comes they are flatly ignored or dismissed. Or I have to read in supposedly reputable magazines like the Hockey News from writers that our market is failed and done and we should just enjoy it while it lasts because no matter what the deal says it won't last more than a year. Or it gets ignored when our coach tells the stories of how just a few years ago when his family came to watch him in Vancouver they had their own section to sit in (oh but that's because it was a bad team right).

Most people think they understand our entire situation or know the people of Nashville (and the whole southern US for that matter) but none of those people actually live here, no one knows what downtown is like on gamedays and the unbeliveable difference from nongamedays. No one knows that businesses around the arena actually went under during the lockout because of not enough people around to support their business. No one knows the economics of this city without living here.

Canadians want to know how to expand the game to the US then in the same breath want to move franchises out of the south and into Canada. You can't have it both ways, either you support the growth of hockey (and that means getting over your fear of the South and out of your comfort box- country of canada- and tapping into untouched markets-the southern US (that just happens to be one of the fastest growing areas in the entire US)) or you want an all Canadian hockey league. We aren't stealing your game, we want to be a part of it. Why are some so afraid of the South having teams?

I'm just an average girl from the southern US, and you are just an average person from Canada who I will never meet in my life, so why do I need to prove a damn thing to you? Are you the commisioner or the mayor of Nashville or part of the potential ownership group? No, didn't think so. But did you know that Nashville had the highest increase in season tickets for this season and that our attendance has increased every year for the last 3-4 seasons? Didn't think you did. I and most all Preds fans on here (that live in Nashville) have had season tickets since the first day they went on sale (and there's been a lot more new STH come on here in the last few months) so don't tell me I need to prove anything to you.

The way people in Canada grow up going to hockey games with their families or hearing their grandparents tell stories of games they went to when they were little is the EXACT same thing that we have here, just substitute football for hockey. Kids today are just now getting this experience with their grandparents. You can't expect it to just take off over night. You've got to get the kids in there. Don't forget, even though Blake Geoffrion has the blood lines, he was trained here in Tennessee first. Guess what else, the high school league here has had to cut off teams because they are growing too fast. Hockey is growing here. Look how many kids are starting to come from California. That's thanks to having Gretzky in LA and teams there for more than 10 years. It's taking time, but it is growing. You're trying to grow the game, so you need these markets to succeed for the league to succeed. I know, you're going to tell me about CAN teams making all the leagues money, but it wasn't that way a few years ago when the US dollar was so high and the CAN dollar was low. Maybe they went too fast with expansion but there is no reason these cities can't develop their fanbase and traditions and grow over time to become a great franchise. Montreal is going to celebrate their 100th anniversary. We're celebrating our 10th (and that includes a lockout at the worst time possible, right after we made the playoffs for the first time). That's 90 years of growing and celebrating Cups and new generations that were born and died being a fan. We're just being born as fans. Why do we not deserve the same chance?

You can't just stick an NHL team in every Canadian city just because they love hockey. The ONLY way I would support a team in Hamilton or that far in the eastern half of the country is if the NHL adopted a new conference/division setup. There are waaaay too many teams in that northeast corridor that barely have to travel outside of their time zone for games. Boston did a road trip at the beginning of the season to the West coast and now they never have to leave the Eastern time zone again unless they make the Stanley Cup Finals and are playing a team other than Detroit or Columbus. Philadelphia just had a "road trip" of like 5-8 games where they came home after most of the games. Meanwhile teams out west rarely are able to make even a single game trip not be more than a 3 hour flight. If the NHL goes to a setup like MLB/NFL with teams spread equally between both conferences then I would support more eastern Canadian teams. Otherwise, no I don't think they should have a team. I would rather see a team in Western Canada but are there any cities that are large enough with population and economic abilities to support a team?

If it were that easy to just love hockey and be granted an NHL team then every city in Canada and the border states would get a team, it just doesn't work that way. There is a big difference between just putting a deposit down and actually buying tickets for more than one year.

Old
11-13-2007, 11:26 AM
thumper73

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
Why shouldn't I have that attitude? Every day since the sale broke I have read on here and every other hockey message board out there from mostly Canadians that all Preds fans are stupid, inbred rednecks that only watch NASCAR and college football, who after 10 years still don't know the difference between a blueline and a clothes line, and my personal favorite, that we don't deserve the privilege of having a hockey team (not just NHL mind you, that person said we don't deserve any hockey at all). Most never want to write anything about the game, but only focus on attendance. They read articles with half truths and flat out lies and accept them for truth but yet when a rebuttal or correction comes they are flatly ignored or dismissed. Or I have to read in supposedly reputable magazines like the Hockey News from writers that our market is failed and done and we should just enjoy it while it lasts because no matter what the deal says it won't last more than a year. Or it gets ignored when our coach tells the stories of how just a few years ago when his family came to watch him in Vancouver they had their own section to sit in (oh but that's because it was a bad team right).

Most people think they understand our entire situation or know the people of Nashville (and the whole southern US for that matter) but none of those people actually live here, no one knows what downtown is like on gamedays and the unbeliveable difference from nongamedays. No one knows that businesses around the arena actually went under during the lockout because of not enough people around to support their business. No one knows the economics of this city without living here.

Canadians want to know how to expand the game to the US then in the same breath want to move franchises out of the south and into Canada. You can't have it both ways, either you support the growth of hockey (and that means getting over your fear of the South and out of your comfort box- country of canada- and tapping into untouched markets-the southern US (that just happens to be one of the fastest growing areas in the entire US)) or you want an all Canadian hockey league. We aren't stealing your game, we want to be a part of it. Why are some so afraid of the South having teams?

I'm just an average girl from the southern US, and you are just an average person from Canada who I will never meet in my life, so why do I need to prove a damn thing to you? Are you the commisioner or the mayor of Nashville or part of the potential ownership group? No, didn't think so. But did you know that Nashville had the highest increase in season tickets for this season and that our attendance has increased every year for the last 3-4 seasons? Didn't think you did. I and most all Preds fans on here (that live in Nashville) have had season tickets since the first day they went on sale (and there's been a lot more new STH come on here in the last few months) so don't tell me I need to prove anything to you.

The way people in Canada grow up going to hockey games with their families or hearing their grandparents tell stories of games they went to when they were little is the EXACT same thing that we have here, just substitute football for hockey. Kids today are just now getting this experience with their grandparents. You can't expect it to just take off over night. You've got to get the kids in there. Don't forget, even though Blake Geoffrion has the blood lines, he was trained here in Tennessee first. Guess what else, the high school league here has had to cut off teams because they are growing too fast. Hockey is growing here. Look how many kids are starting to come from California. That's thanks to having Gretzky in LA and teams there for more than 10 years. It's taking time, but it is growing. You're trying to grow the game, so you need these markets to succeed for the league to succeed. I know, you're going to tell me about CAN teams making all the leagues money, but it wasn't that way a few years ago when the US dollar was so high and the CAN dollar was low. Maybe they went too fast with expansion but there is no reason these cities can't develop their fanbase and traditions and grow over time to become a great franchise. Montreal is going to celebrate their 100th anniversary. We're celebrating our 10th (and that includes a lockout at the worst time possible, right after we made the playoffs for the first time). That's 90 years of growing and celebrating Cups and new generations that were born and died being a fan. We're just being born as fans. Why do we not deserve the same chance?

You can't just stick an NHL team in every Canadian city just because they love hockey. The ONLY way I would support a team in Hamilton or that far in the eastern half of the country is if the NHL adopted a new conference/division setup. There are waaaay too many teams in that northeast corridor that barely have to travel outside of their time zone for games. Boston did a road trip at the beginning of the season to the West coast and now they never have to leave the Eastern time zone again unless they make the Stanley Cup Finals and are playing a team other than Detroit or Columbus. Philadelphia just had a "road trip" of like 5-8 games where they came home after most of the games. Meanwhile teams out west rarely are able to make even a single game trip not be more than a 3 hour flight. If the NHL goes to a setup like MLB/NFL with teams spread equally between both conferences then I would support more eastern Canadian teams. Otherwise, no I don't think they should have a team. I would rather see a team in Western Canada but are there any cities that are large enough with population and economic abilities to support a team?

If it were that easy to just love hockey and be granted an NHL team then every city in Canada and the border states would get a team, it just doesn't work that way. There is a big difference between just putting a deposit down and actually buying tickets for more than one year.
That was a very well written reply, and I do understand and sympathize with your frustration level. All I can say is to give people that write or call anyone else stupid, or inbred isn't worth your time. People, no matter where they are from that have to resort to generalization and name calling are not even worth the time it takes to read that damn thing they wrote.

Personally, I have very little faith in the people that are running the NHL. They have made mistakes and are too stubborn to admit it and make some changes. Expansion is included. I don't think Nashville should have their team ripped away from them. But any franchise, including any in Canada, need to be able to prop themselves up and have those in the community (corporate, private and public) make that commitment to the team. That being said, franchises need time to grow and develop. There needs to be the chance for that community to start the grassroot programs like new or expanded minor hockey leagues, arenas need to be built etc..

I want more teams in Canada, I think we could easily support two more in Ontario alone, but it shouldn't come at the expense of franchises that haven't had the chance to entrench or root itself. However, I am not saying that some franchises out there shoudn't be moved, because no matter what they aren't going to work, but I am not openning another can of worms.

From a longtime hockey fan, player and supporter to a relative newbie...keep up the demand for respect and support, and get all your friends, co-workers, family to go to the games and buy those tickets. Nashville does deserve the chance to fight for their team. Winnipeg and Quebec never had that.

Old
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
braindead

"Understanding" reached between Mayor and buyers, whatever that means:

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/20...ached_on_preds

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 01:41 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Quote:
That was a very well written reply, and I do understand and sympathize with your frustration level. All I can say is to give people that write or call anyone else stupid, or inbred isn't worth your time. People, no matter where they are from that have to resort to generalization and name calling are not even worth the time it takes to read that damn thing they wrote.
Thanks.

It would be one thing if it was just a bunch of teenagers playing on the internet. But most times we can't avoid it, no matter how hard we try.

Ken Campbell and Adam Proteau were on the radio (on 106, which btw Preds fans, I think 106.7>>>>104.5) on Friday. Campbell said he gets emails from people in Nashville saying he is biased against us, but Campbell says he's not, he's just upset that other cities were passed over. Proteau was saying how he doesn't believe Nashville is now, was, or ever will be a true hockey market. But they both said that most Canadians really do wish to see Nashville succeed and would be happy if we did. Then I open my Hockey News on Tuesday and out of the blue get hit with this gem "someone please put this franchise out of our misery." You would think that came from a letter to the editor. Nope, from the same well-wishing, misunderstood Ken Campbell himself. And he wonders why people in the south think he hates all southern teams.

We've heard people talk out of both sides of their mouths since the day the sale was announced. I mean, we know the reality of the situation. But we're trying here, and no matter what we do people complain and belittle us. And everyday until we know something for sure, we get more and more bitter towards everyone who hates us for having and trying to keep our team. Think about it, what if there was no Canada/US. If this was just one big country would people have such a problem with this area having a team?

Old
11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
handtrick

Local group wants to buy the Preds by Monday, long before lease deal voted on by Metro.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....13/1002/SPORTS

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Local group wants to buy the Preds by Monday, long before lease deal voted on by Metro.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....13/1002/SPORTS
Lawson's take

Quote:
Apparently, too, current owner Craig Leipold gave the local group a month extension to get a deal worked out with Metro and that is nearing the end. “It would be ungrateful to Craig” if the group didn’t close by the end of this month, Freeman said.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

According to Pete and Terry, the BOG unanimously approved the sale

One step closer...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Roger Explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

One step closer...

Finally!

Roger Explosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:42 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids

One step closer...

Finally!
Congrats to Preds fans!! Thats great news, glad to see hockey will remain in Nashville.

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford HockeyFan View Post
Congrats to Preds fans!! Thats great news, glad to see hockey will remain in Nashville.
Thanks! From a fellow Connecticut native, I hope that the NHL does indeed return to Hartford in the near future. Until then, go Wolf*Pack!!!

Great day to be a Nashville Predators fan today...stunning 6-5 win in Ottawa and a unianimous vote by the NHL BOG to approve the sale to the local group all in the same night!!! Has to be one of the best days in franchise history.

Here's to many more great night's of Nashville Predators Hockey!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:01 PM
irisheyes555

personally i see freeman's push for the BoG approval as a way to light a fire under the metro sports authority (and metro council who can't act w/o the MSA approval). after all the agreement in principle between the new ownership group and the mayor was completed 2 weeks ago and i doubt they were hiding the details from anyone. government inertia can be quite a force. of course the sports authority may have had something more important to do this past fortnight than approving a $200 mil deal, but i can't think what thight might have been.

today at least 30/40 members finally started reviewing the information.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../71129065/1028

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:02 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

I hope the NHL never returns to Hartford. Hartford had its chance and blew it. Hartford is an AHL city now whether the 50 remaining whaler fans want to admit it or not. By the time the NHL returns most of them will be dead anyways.

LONG LIVE THE HARTFORD WOLF PACK IN HARTFORD!!!

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartford HockeyFan View Post
I hope the NHL never returns to Hartford. Hartford had its chance and blew it. Hartford is an AHL city now whether the 50 remaining whaler fans want to admit it or not. By the time the NHL returns most of them will be dead anyways.

LONG LIVE THE HARTFORD WOLF PACK IN HARTFORD!!!
You know, I was trying to remember which side of that debate you were on. Personally, I'm a huge Wolf*Pack fan even though I left Connecticut in 2004. I was really riled up by the whole battle this summer and remember teaming up with you in some great posting wars against GWhale over the whole issue too.

Personally, I wouldn't mind the NHL going back to Hartford...as long as it was under the right conditions. I don't want a current franchise moved to Hartford or anywhere else for that matter. And in the meantime, I really think that MSG has provided a quality hockey product in Hartford. It is truly disappointing that they don't get the support they deserve in terms of ticket sales. I was in town during the first few days of Wolf*Pack training camp this fall and returned to the HCC during the open practice session. It was great to see Kenny Gernander on the ice still...even though he is wearing the whistle around his neck now and I really think that between Schoenfield and Gernander that the Wolf*Pack have a bright future ahead of them.

Good luck in whatever hockey passion you pursue and again...GO Wolf*Pack!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 01:10 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

One step closer...
Yea!!

A win and a unanimous vote!

Go Preds!

Old
11-30-2007, 01:23 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Congrats you guys from one Canadian who isn't on the "move teh Preds to Hamilton!" bandwagon.

If hockey can thrive in San Jose, California, it can do the same in Nashville, and ending this drama for the forseeable future is a very good step 1.

Here's to many more lopsided San Jose/Nashville playoff series in the coming years.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 06:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Isn't that it now? Doesn't that finalize the deal?

Old
11-30-2007, 07:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Isn't that it now? Doesn't that finalize the deal?
yes, we are officially sold. Freeman said the other day that there's a "chance" that the councils would reject the deals, but he "felt good" about those votes, and were committed to the team one way or another.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Ludwig Fell Down

Congrats, Preds fans! I feel like it was 9 months ago when I dropped in to offer congratulations, hopefully I'm not premature again this time.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote