HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For Friday's Game - Semin In, Clark Day to Day & Gordon Week to Week

Old
11-29-2007, 06:20 PM
LadyIce

vCash: 500
For Friday's Game - Semin In, Clark Day to Day & Gordon Week to Week

Good, Bad and Awful news from Tarik.

And also from Corey

Maybe Gordon did something when he scored in the shoot-out, because up until that point he looked fine.

*sigh*

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

This sucks.

Try Eminger at RW.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:40 PM
HunterSThompson

so two guys out means flash is gonna play and one more to be recalled, it also seemed like tarik left the possibility that semin wouldn't play, so could be two recalled but that seems unlikely, wonder if bruce has a different opinion of klepis??

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The Klepper would need to be signed first to be called up. My guess--if two are needed--would be Clymer and Bourque.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
The Viking Fury

I think that adequately describes my reaction to this news

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:41 PM
txpd

I'd like to see if Clymer couldn't produce something since Pettinger is clearly not. If someone grabs him on the reentry waivers, thats life, but I think its time to give him a shot.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:41 PM
LadyIce

I think someone has placed a curse on every professional sports franchise in DC.

Maybe someone should call Father Karras and Father Merrin.

Old
11-29-2007, 08:47 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The Klepper would need to be signed first to be called up. My guess--if two are needed--would be Clymer and Bourque.
Nope, it's winger Quintin Laing

We're gonna be the Hershey Bears South!!

Old
11-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post

He replaces Gordon on the PK I take it, though he's a winger.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 08:55 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Given I discovered the other day he had an NHL contract this is not as much of a surprise (thanks to IB's site) as it would have otherwise been.

A little bit strange, the Laing Caps signing was never announced, it was announced as an AHL deal when he was re-signed this summer; however, he showed up on IB's nhlscap site listed with a two year two-way contract for the minimum NHL salary each year sometime in the last few weeks so they must have signed him to an NHL deal after the season started.

fwiw, Gordon has been playing more wing than center the last few games

edit: do you have the pennlive link, for some reason I can't find any info other than someone speculating on the message boards?

edit2: nm here's the link

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews...hershey_bears/

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 11-29-2007 at 09:00 PM.
sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
pgreene

Quote:
must be. he doesn't exactly bring the offense, but i guess neither does gordon.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:28 PM
BengtGustafsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post

edit: do you have the pennlive link, for some reason I can't find any info other than someone speculating on the message boards?
It's frustrating because this link, http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/ will show you the article that states:
Quote:
Caps call up Laing
Posted by The Patriot-News November 29, 2007 18:36PM
Categories: Hockey - AHL Hershey Bears
In the wake of injuries suffered by Chris Clark and Boyd Gordon, the Washington Capitals called up winger Quintin Laing from the Hershey Bears on Thursday.
But then when you click either the title or the permalink link, http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnews..._up_laing.html
you are met with a lovely 404 error.
Quote:
Not Found

The requested URL /patriotnewssports/2007/11/caps_call_up_laing.html was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at blog.pennlive.com Port 80

BengtGustafsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:05 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyIce View Post

BB rewarding his heart and soul guys in Hershey

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:53 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
I'm with VF on this one... All I can do it quote Qbert: #$@#$ #@$$ @!%$%

and Cassivi is just a matter of time the longer he rides Ollie. Oh well, we're in full fledge Stamkos mode anyway.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 11:00 AM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I'm with VF on this one... All I can do it quote Qbert: #$@#$ #@$$ @!%$%

and Cassivi is just a matter of time the longer he rides Ollie. Oh well, we're in full fledge Beach mode anyway.

FIXED!

Obligatory writing:

I doubt the caps will be able to land stamkos with the draft position. Hopefully Laing proves us all wrong, but I have my doubts. Hopefully he doesn't get Timo'd.

Also, I thought the GM makes the call ups not the coach.

Old
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
The Viking Fury

Although Backstrom is getting moved up to the second line now,

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

flash - Backstrom - Semin

Old
11-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
We finally see Ovechkin-Nylander-Kozlov. This has been a line that many here have wanted to see together, yet I don't think we've ever seen the trio in action.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
We finally see Ovechkin-Nylander-Kozlov. This has been a line that many here have wanted to see together, yet I don't think we've ever seen the trio in action.
just very briefly after the Clark double minor + fighting + misconduct penalty against Philly after the hit on Gordon.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
sk84fun_dc

About the Laing call-up, my take: 1) he has played 3 NHL games in 03-04, but will still have some nerves; 2) he knows Boudreau's system and with Gordon and Clark out is another PKr and energy player; 3) he frequently played on a line with Steckel last season during the regular season and the playoffs so they are familiar with each other and he is a defensively responsible player (and Boudreau is implementing a system where the wingers have more def. responsibility); 4) solid PKr and will stick up for his teammates, plays with every inch of his body/ounce of energy every shift, and fwiw, he isn't afraid to shoot the puck/fight for rebounds, but as has been noted elsewhere, not a guy being called up for his offensive contributions; 4) he'll drive the net and create havoc in front of the goalie, I can't count how many times in the last year plus I have seen him crawling out of the net after a whistle after fighting for the rebounds and positioning in front or driving the net; hopefully tonight it results in his first NHL goal; 5) I'm curious to see how he looks skating/speedwise against NHL competition; 6) rewarding a player that shows up (work ethic) at every practice and game, could they also be sending a message to the younger guys/more high profile guys about what it takes to earn a call-up, earned rather than a given (addn: and reward Laing for his play and leadership in Hershey at a time when his style/role/systems knowledge could be the right fit; curious to see how much ice time he actually gets, depends on whether that 3rd line stays intact and how much PK time there is); 7) Hershey does not play tonight, depending on how the game goes and Clark's readiness after a day of rest (assuming that is what happens), Laing could be back in Choc and White for Hershey's game on Saturday night; still, if Clark is going to miss tonight, sit him tomorrow night and give him the week to rest his groin injury; 8) with the break after tonight and Gordon week to week, I assume Gordon will be going on IR dated to Thursday, 11/29, which would mean he would be available to come off IR for next Friday's game, 12/7, in NJ if healthy enough to return.

About who makes the call-up decision, GM has final say, but in most circumstances a GM will consults with the coaching staff and the AHL mgmt/coaching staff.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 11-30-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old
11-30-2007, 12:12 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
Personally, I can't see it that way. If he is not choosing the best player for his given needs, then he is wasting is limited opportunity to earn this job that he wants so badly.

I am trying think, though, I Laing could possibly be better equipped than Clymer for this role against this opponent.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 12:38 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Personally, I can't see it that way. If he is not choosing the best player for his given needs, then he is wasting is limited opportunity to earn this job that he wants so badly.

I am trying think, though, I Laing could possibly be better equipped than Clymer for this role against this opponent.
About Laing, see my comments above.

Sidenote, FWIW, I was never able to get any official answer, but I believe Clymer would have to clear re-entry waivers to be recalled; on hfboards, two of the CBA "experts", KDB and IB, had two different interpretations of once a player clears re-entry do they have to clear again and outside of hfboards, I never got an answer from the people I asked. Anyway, IF Clymer had to clear re-entry again (which is what I understood to be the case, but again no confirmation), he would have had to be put on re-entry at noon yesterday in order to have cleared and be available for tonight's game. (addn: I'm not saying they would have chosen to recall Clymer over Laing, just adding some thoughts about possible other factors)

Old
11-30-2007, 01:01 PM
malyk

I'm pretty sure that the re-entry waivers expire after 10 games or 30 days and a player would have to be put on waivers again after those time frames.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 01:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyk View Post
I'm pretty sure that the re-entry waivers expire after 10 games or 30 days and a player would have to be put on waivers again after those time frames.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but to save some typing, I'll link to the discussion in the business section from when Clymer originally cleared waivers, cleared re-entry waivers and then was reassigned back to the AHL after a day on the NHL roster (but not playing in a game)...Clymer does have a day or two counting against the 30 days on an NHL roster/10 NHL game rule (cumulative) before he has to clear waivers on the way down again, but the question is about on the way up (re-entry).

My original assumption from reading the CBA was re-entry was required each time as IB posts in that thread, but for the reasons discussed in that thread, it wasn't so clear cut when actually reviewing the language. Anyway, until I hear otherwise, I am working on the assumption that a player subject to re-entry waivers has to clear each time on the way up.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=281178

(see post #12 and later in that thread)

Old
11-30-2007, 02:16 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
just very briefly after the Clark double minor + fighting + misconduct penalty against Philly after the hit on Gordon.
Its a shame that it takes injuries and penalties to try our 3 best forwards by position together, when we are in last place and cant score. I just hope Bruce gives it more than than one full game to take hold. The guys on the lower lines dont shine yet we rarely break them up.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
8) with the break after tonight and Gordon week to week, I assume Gordon will be going on IR dated to Thursday, 11/29, which would mean he would be available to come off IR for next Friday's game, 12/7, in NJ if healthy enough to return.
that should say "after tomorrow night"

and I can't count (two number 4's, oops)

by the way, El-Bashir's blog update about Laing's call-up:

"I spoke to Laing after the morning skate. And, of course, he was very excited to be back in the bigs...."They us told in practice...and to keep your cell phones on," Laing said. "When I got the call... I said, 'Please let this be it.'"

"My wife was screaming and I was in shock. It was a pretty cool moment."

"Boudreau said Laing was recalled because his game resembles Gordon's defense-first approach. Only thing is Laing doesn't do faceoffs. So it looks like that job is going to belong to Steckel on the PK and when that line is on the ice."

link

fwiw, Gordon hasn't been taking as many faceoffs the last couple of games