HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On whipping boys

Old
11-29-2007, 11:14 PM
sickamore

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
For sure, I don't hate the guy. He's made a larger number of mistakes this season but I think a lot of it has to do with him playing out of his element (as we've discussed at length) because of the speed/transition game we're trying to play now. And as I said, I continue to wish him success and want him to be a good player for us. If he played every game like he did last night, there'd be absolutely nothing bad to say.
Could very well be that the swap of him from the top line and Hartnell to it benefits both of them and the team. I've missed the games since Hartnell was moved up(he has stayed there hasn't he?) because of the holidays and hockeyless in-laws, but initial reviews seemed hopeful. Maybe Hartnell is his replacement now.

He's got 1 more season or 2? Either way he's a fine piece that will be replaced by a youngster soon enough. They won't have the intangibles of a 30 something vet that I think will show more over the whole season than just the beginning, but may help in other ways.

I really do like this team as is and believe it can and does take longer to fit so many new pieces together than just two months, but the way they seem to be coming together and playing for each other, not just with each other is encouraging.

Patience is a virtue and there is no replacement for familiarity and comraderie. It creates intangibles that cannot be replicated by adding new players, even if they may be an upgrade skillwise.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
Could very well be that the swap of him from the top line and Hartnell to it benefits both of them and the team. I've missed the games since Hartnell was moved up(he has stayed there hasn't he?) because of the holidays and hockeyless in-laws, but initial reviews seemed hopeful. Maybe Hartnell is his replacement now.

He's got 1 more season or 2? Either way he's a fine piece that will be replaced by a youngster soon enough. They won't have the intangibles of a 30 something vet that I think will show more over the whole season than just the beginning, but may help in other ways.

I really do like this team as is and believe it can and does take longer to fit so many new pieces together than just two months, but the way they seem to be coming together and playing for each other, not just with each other is encouraging.

Patience is a virtue and there is no replacement for familiarity and comraderie. It creates intangibles that cannot be replicated by adding new players, even if they may be an upgrade skillwise.
Well said.

I think Knuble's got one more year after this, and Hartnell definitely looked good with Briere.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 08:49 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Frankly, I think you just need something to argue about with Jester or I, even if there's nothing to argue.
The two of you are worth arguing with, and I do believe you both tend to need someone to tear into.

I've never understood that about fans, honestly, why so many seem to NEED someone to rip.

Quote:
Knuble has been terrible a lot more than he's been good.
No he hasn't. He got off to a slow start, made some high profile buffooneries, and people piled onto him. The team got off to an amazingly hot start, yet the fans needed a whipping boy.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
The two of you are worth arguing with, and I do believe you both tend to need someone to tear into.

I've never understood that about fans, honestly, why so many seem to NEED someone to rip.

No he hasn't. He got off to a slow start, made some high profile buffooneries, and people piled onto him. The team got off to an amazingly hot start, yet the fans needed a whipping boy.
Well, I continue to disagree. I think I know what I need and what my intentions are a lot better than you would.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 04:58 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

I think the psychology of it has to do with feeling like you know something others don't, empowering especially if you can get someone to agree. Looking at the negative of people who are actually doing something we could only dream of seems to satisfy that need to feel important or knowledgable. Look at critics in any field.

We all get caught up in it at some point, but just as these players rise and fall over the lifetime of their careers and their most recent season does not define what they have done or what they will do, we tend to think of each other in those same absolutes. It isn't always true as evidenced by mine and Storm's recent conflicts and even more recent civil discussions.

Now once Jester interjects his absolutes, giving no pause for any other possible perspective and Storm goes following him like a lap dog it could all blow up(just kidding Storm, seriously!)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Knuble seems to be more a victim of a more talented squad surrounding him this year over the last two than anything else. It was Gagne, Knuble, and Forsberg when healthy. The kids weren't really shining, the others were marginal players and it got worse before it got better. Compared to the rest of the squad Knuble was steady and stable and producing points. His penalties are mentioned, but as someone pointed out, and I'm taking his word for it, Knuble is racking up penalties at the same pace as the last two years. Maybe their timing is different, I really don't know, but apparently he was a penalty every other game guy previously and is on pace. So, same ol' Knuble.

Other than that Hatcher sucks. Always has, always will

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote