HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just Built My Own Rink

Old
01-27-2007, 06:04 PM
budscweizer16

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to budscweizer16
does anyone have tips, pics, suggestions for a roller rink? lookngi to build a 40 x 60 in my backyard

budscweizer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Hank19

Well my rink is a disaster. Where I live you're lucky if you can get a weeks worth of pond hockey but the last 3 weeks have been terrific and yet I'm crying because of my stupid rink.

I got one of those Ice-N-Go kits and one thing they neglect to tell you is that your site has to be almost 100% level. You can only be off by maybe 1/4 inch.

The result is me watching the water roll off the back of my 'rink'. I tried shoveling snow and creating a snow frame. I even froze it. But it still looks horrible.

Next year I'll be building one out of barn planks. It just sucks because if I had done that from the get-go, I would have been skating with my 3 year old son by now.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
Well my rink is a disaster. Where I live you're lucky if you can get a weeks worth of pond hockey but the last 3 weeks have been terrific and yet I'm crying because of my stupid rink.

I got one of those Ice-N-Go kits and one thing they neglect to tell you is that your site has to be almost 100% level. You can only be off by maybe 1/4 inch.

The result is me watching the water roll off the back of my 'rink'. I tried shoveling snow and creating a snow frame. I even froze it. But it still looks horrible.

Next year I'll be building one out of barn planks. It just sucks because if I had done that from the get-go, I would have been skating with my 3 year old son by now.
Hmm...well my dad made one for us every year before they had the "rink in a boxes" kits. He used to box it off with with boards all the way around and then vapour barrier it. He would put the vapour barrier up over the boards so it would esentially be a big plastic covered box. Then he just added water. Every day he would go out and "Water the ice".

We have a giant squigee so when the ice got thicker we just squigeed the water around. If there was an ice bubble we would crack it and put slush in it and refreeze it.

01-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Ti-girl

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Ti-girl

That's the other side of the rink.

We all see why I WASN'T a goalie.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Hank19

Those are awesome pics Ti-girl.
I have a Rink-Rake as well to make it smooth as silk.
I should take a picture so everyone can see what a disaster it's become. Ugh. So depressing.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
Ti-girl

I just remember waking up at 5 am and waking my brother up and we would sneak downstairs and try to get our skates on and go out. They would be SO loose and we would still go out and skate.

We would literally be falling out of our skates because we couldnt tie them well enough, but we would still be out there.

Old
01-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Ludwig Fell Down

Quote:

I have the same kit. I bought hard foam insulation, and cut it in pyramid shapes with a round cutout at the top for the pipes. You can prop the pipes up with the insulation, and level off the rink that way. It takes awhile to get the whole rink level, with constant adjustments to the supports. It is easier than leveling the yard.

Ludwig Fell Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down View Post
I have the same kit. I bought hard foam insulation, and cut it in pyramid shapes with a round cutout at the top for the pipes. You can prop the pipes up with the insulation, and level off the rink that way. It takes awhile to get the whole rink level, with constant adjustments to the supports. It is easier than leveling the yard.
That's a great idea. Thanks.
But I think I'll just buy the wood next year. I know someone that can get it to me cheap. I just wish I had done this sooner.

Old
01-29-2007, 06:08 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Could you make a "pond" by digging a little into the ground and filling it with water? Maybe like a mini pond or lake? Or would this not work? I haven't heard anyone mention so I guess there is a reason?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
trueblueinboston

Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
Well, unless it was unbearably, day-after-tomorrow cold, the ground would soak up the water. You'd have to lay a liner in it, just like you were building a pond. But i guess it could work if you did that.

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin View Post
Could you make a "pond" by digging a little into the ground and filling it with water? Maybe like a mini pond or lake? Or would this not work? I haven't heard anyone mention so I guess there is a reason?
My uncle-in-law did exactly that for his kids when they were growing up. He dug 3-4 inches into the ground and then reseeded it for grass. From a distance you couldn't even tell there was an indent there.
When the ground froze he'd simply fill it up with water. Bingo, instant rink.

Old
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
My uncle-in-law did exactly that for his kids when they were growing up. He dug 3-4 inches into the ground and then reseeded it for grass. From a distance you couldn't even tell there was an indent there.
When the ground froze he'd simply fill it up with water. Bingo, instant rink.
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that, but wasn't really sure how good that would work and I haven't seen anyone post that way before. Now only if it would stay cold enough...

Old
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
This is what I'd love to have. If only I could win the lottery:

Sorry about the small pic. My firewall at work won't let me get to the bigger one.
But look at all these customicerinks here:
http://www.customicerinks.com/residential.asp

$19.00 a sq/ft eh MikeD? I might have to do some serious saving over the next few years.
Do they have something that you can build your own roller hockey rink. Thats what I am looking at.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Nbr-17

With the weather finally getting normal I got the rink going again.
Some pics from last Saturday:

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 08:19 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Awesome pics

Old
02-05-2007, 09:04 PM
saveourpens

Ti girl's pics and seeing that 2000 all star game intro partially inspired me to play some pond hockey, or as we did, lake hockey.

in Pittsburgh

me

Using a broom as a goal...my brother and me.

me

my brother

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:15 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Again, cool pics, but be careful. I'm not sure those lakes have had enough time to freeze safely enough to go out on. It's really only been cold for a week or two now.

Old
11-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Hank19

Well, I'm going to be building my rink tomorrow. It's been below freezing the last 5 nights and it's barely gone above 2C during the day. I think the ground is nearly frozen enough to get some ice in the near future.

Anyway, I have 10 2x10x10' to make a 20x30 rink. It's not much but it's perfect for my 4 year old.

I read the link that Nbr-17 provided (thank you! http://www.hpurchase.com/byrinst.htm) and I think it's going to help me a lot.

So all I need to pick up now is some floodlights. I just hope it continues to stay the temperature that it is. I should be skating in the 1st week of December. Oh yeah!

Old
11-30-2007, 06:46 PM
MikeD

Quote:

The ice N go will take up to 9" out of level! there was a template included in the paper work to make the support forms. It was also coverd in the instruction book AND video that came with the kit. With twine and a line level you can get it all set, stuff straw under the lifted sections, between the support forms. I used the foam backing insulation for vinyl siding, glued two panels together and cut out the forms from hte template.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
BINGO

I just built a 35x55 for my 6 year old, (at least thats the story my wife got...).

I didn't level my yard this year, and have a bit of a slope, but next year I will be a little bit more prepared...the boards are designed to compensate for about 15" of difference from end to end.

The biggest features to the purchse were the boards/brackets and the resurfacer...check it out. we already are getting ice, and will be skating soon...it only took about two hours to set up.

The thing that impressed me the most is that I had some questions and when I called the company, I spoke to the owner...pretty impressed. The cost was under 3k.

www.nicerink.com

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
BINGO

Hank and MikeD, check out my link above....i will post pics soon and i have some serious slope....

BINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
NewBostonFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO View Post
Hank and MikeD, check out my link above....i will post pics soon and i have some serious slope....
Looking forward to pics. I put up the IceNgo for a few years but the weather has not been cooperative the past two years. Looking again this year, but I need to come up with a better plan as I have about a 14" drop from one end to the other. Our rink is about 30x50.

NewBostonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Canadian Chris

this is why I'm glad I live in Prince George

we have our outdoor Ice Oval which has a very large hockey area made into the middle of it...we have a couple of really well kept outdoor rinks...then each tennis court is boxed off and made into a rink around town...so there's no lack of finding some ice to go play some outdoor hockey...and even still...with the weather we've had the last week, -25 over night type thing, the lakes and ponds are frozen well enough to go play ....definitely one of the very few advantages to living in a somewhat northern climate

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Very glad...we have about 15 rinks in my city outdoors

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote