HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help a Beginning Player

Old
11-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Help a Beginning Player

So I've been playing hockey for a few years informally (with friends, limited equipment, cheap sticks, no goalies) and have always loved it. A little while ago though, a bunch of my friends and I joined a league in a beginner division and that taught me how little I really knew about the game and basically opened my eyes..

So here's my problem: in a word, it's shooting the puck, and in particular, wrist shots. I have a pretty strong slap shot, and i'm one of the fastest guys on the ice, so getting into position is easy, but I've learned that my wrist shot is very weak - it has virtually no velocity behind it, and I can't figure out why.

I was wondering if any of you pro's here could give me some tips to practice, maybe some links or anything else that could help. For reference: I'm using a composite stick, I believe 87 flex (not 100%), I'm about 6'2", weight 195 lbs, and I'm fairly in shape so I don't think its a muscle issue.

Thanks for any help in advance

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Sensfanman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
So I've been playing hockey for a few years informally (with friends, limited equipment, cheap sticks, no goalies) and have always loved it. A little while ago though, a bunch of my friends and I joined a league in a beginner division and that taught me how little I really knew about the game and basically opened my eyes..

So here's my problem: in a word, it's shooting the puck, and in particular, wrist shots. I have a pretty strong slap shot, and i'm one of the fastest guys on the ice, so getting into position is easy, but I've learned that my wrist shot is very weak - it has virtually no velocity behind it, and I can't figure out why.

I was wondering if any of you pro's here could give me some tips to practice, maybe some links or anything else that could help. For reference: I'm using a composite stick, I believe 87 flex (not 100%), I'm about 6'2", weight 195 lbs, and I'm fairly in shape so I don't think its a muscle issue.

Thanks for any help in advance
Ah, I think I can help. If your stick is indeed 87 flex or there abouts, and you're that big, then it's too soft for you. Same thing happened to me, I used a 75 flex stick then worked out one summer and when I came back to play I couldn't shoot at all, I got a new stick, 87 flex, and it was business as usual. Stiffer sticks are harder to flex but store a lot more energy in the flex they do get. This is why Chara uses a 120 stiff, or there abouts, he's so big and strong he can flex it enough to get crazy power. Good luck!

Last edited by Sensfanman: 11-30-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 03:28 AM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

I checked and it was 95 Flex.. I think it has to do with the technique I'm using.

Old
12-01-2007, 03:38 AM
leftofcenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
I checked and it was 95 Flex.. I think it has to do with the technique I'm using.
The stick flex is true to a point. I get a better wrist shot with a stiff stick but better feel and snap/slap shots with my 75/77 (I'm medium ht and wt) so it's preference there.

The wrist shot is all about weight transfer - that is, from back leg to front leg - and the way in which you pull back the puck and release it - giving you the velocity you want. Wrists have to lock in at the last moment to give the final push (something that a lot of new and young players don't realize) It also is about the follow thru and where your stick shaft and blade toe is pointing (i.e. low for a low shot and higher (waist) for a rising shot). But I still go back to the weight transfer for the power which drives all the rest. Also, another thing is where the puck is on your blade: the puck should start from the heel of the blade and is essence roll off the blade as you release it toward the middle toe part (that's how the 'pancake' pass comes about).

I would go online and looks for some video tips (anyone know of any? could be a old or even a new thread). I know that CBC.ca HNIC does a lot of these tip videos with Ron maclean and NHL players. Go check it out.

The final thing, as Al MacInnis said about why he had such a boomer of a slap shot, is practice practice practice - even against the boards with one puck - work on technique first. I sometimes just go to where the blue line comes up the boards and use it as a target for my shots and passing

Good luck

leftofcenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
The stick flex is true to a point. I get a better wrist shot with a stiff stick but better feel and snap/slap shots with my 75/77 (I'm medium ht and wt) so it's preference there.

The wrist shot is all about weight transfer - that is, from back leg to front leg - and the way in which you pull back the puck and release it - giving you the velocity you want. Wrists have to lock in at the last moment to give the final push (something that a lot of new and young players don't realize) It also is about the follow thru and where your stick shaft and blade toe is pointing (i.e. low for a low shot and higher (waist) for a rising shot). But I still go back to the weight transfer for the power which drives all the rest. Also, another thing is where the puck is on your blade: the puck should start from the heel of the blade and is essence roll off the blade as you release it toward the middle toe part (that's how the 'pancake' pass comes about).

I would go online and looks for some video tips (anyone know of any? could be a old or even a new thread). I know that CBC.ca HNIC does a lot of these tip videos with Ron maclean and NHL players. Go check it out.

The final thing, as Al MacInnis said about why he had such a boomer of a slap shot, is practice practice practice - even against the boards with one puck - work on technique first. I sometimes just go to where the blue line comes up the boards and use it as a target for my shots and passing

Good luck
Thanks a lot I appreciate the help.. I'll go check out some of those videos and see if I can work on it today

Thank you very much

Old
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
hockeyshot.com

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:01 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
A whippier stick will provide a better wrist shot. Think about how long the puck is in contact with the blade compared to a snap or slap shot, it gives you more time to load the stick up.

Try someone else's 85 or maybe something even whipper and see if that helps... But as always practice means perfect.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote