HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Fix the Flames

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

vCash: 500
Bumping old threads can be pretty funny actually. I wanted to bump that "Someone explain to me why the Canucks are considered better than the Ducks" thread from the offseason, but unfortunately it's been pruned.

Old
04-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, I don't think Iginla, at this point, would fetch much return on the trade table.
This is the one post that really stands out to me. BES was quite out to lunch on the Iginla topic. Many were too caught up in his current stats and weren't judging him on what he was, an elite goal scorer. This year he's proven to everybody what most Flames fans already knew. His 2nd half this year has once again been insane as far as goal scoring goes.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 04-01-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old
04-01-2004, 01:45 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
This is the one post that really stands out to me. BES was quite out to lunch on the Iginla topic.
I think that BES was speaking without the advantage of hindsight...

at the beginning of the year Iginla was slumpping as were the Flames... seemed like they needed some changes, and maybe a rebuild.

How much would a struggling Iginla who's on the last year of a deal that gives him $7.5 mill, only to be qualified *prior* to the expiry of the current CBA at $7.5 mill, be worth?

I don't think his value was rock bottom... but there weren't many teams that had that kind of payroll room without huge concerns about the coming CBA... and most of the teams that could, where already at a high payroll situation with bigger needs to fill than adding a top line right winger.

At the time (and possibly even now) his value was lower than either Naslund or Bertuzzi's IMO... Naslund has one more year left on his deal at $5.5 mill and a team option after that... Bertuzzi just signed a long term deal at $6.5mill coming off a 40+ goal and 97 pt season.... with Iginla who had lower point totals the year before and a higher salary, while forcing whatever team that picks him up to ante up another $7.5mill qualifier in the first year of a new CBA...

I don't think that most teams would have jumped at acquiring him... I doubt that even Bertuzzi back in November had a lot of trade value comparable to his production given his $6.5mill deal.

when you factor in which teams could add that kind of salary, subtract the teams that didn't have the need (or bigger needs elsewhere), that doesn't leave you with a big market for that kind of contract, which undoubtably affects his overall market value.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
at the beginning of the year Iginla was slumpping as were the Flames... seemed like they needed some changes, and maybe a rebuild.

How much would a struggling Iginla who's on the last year of a deal that gives him $7.5 mill, only to be qualified *prior* to the expiry of the current CBA at $7.5 mill, be worth?
My whole point is that fans adjust player values too much for "slumps" and that scouts who watch the guy would still have thought he was a very attractive player. Especially when you look at his record for 2nd half scoring. It's not like we were talking about a player who should be on the decline, there was no reason to think he wasn't a solid goal scorer still. Anybody who watched a lot of him during the past two seasons would know that.

You "spin" it the way you do (slumping, big salary, cba) but anybody could just as easily point out his Art Ross, Richard and "spin" it the other way. People who don't see him on a regular basis like to completely write off his breakout year for some reason (still not sure why anybody would believe a fairly young guy in his mid 20's had peaked and was now on a downhill trend.) Flames fans who watch this guy all the time knew that season was not a complete fluke and I'm sure there were plenty of GM's and scouts who didn't take the shortsighted view that many fans of other teams have taken on Iginla.

For the record he has to be qualified at 7 million. 500,000 of his salary this year is a deferred signing bonus.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I don't think that most teams would have jumped at acquiring him... I doubt that even Bertuzzi back in November had a lot of trade value comparable to his production given his $6.5mill deal.

when you factor in which teams could add that kind of salary, subtract the teams that didn't have the need (or bigger needs elsewhere), that doesn't leave you with a big market for that kind of contract, which undoubtably affects his overall market value.
I think you're underrating the value of both players. We're not talking over 10 million dollars, there's plenty of teams that could afford a Bertuzzi or an Iginla and plenty of teams that would try their darndest to make room for that salary given the calibre of player involved.

Jagr and Lang both moved this season. Both have high salaries and long term deals. If they can move then the far more attractive Bertuzzi and Iginla (younger, more physical) surely were coveted. I'm not sure how many teams could have a greater need than a goal scoring powerforward, that is probably one of the most rare commodities in the league along with a big playmaking centre with size. Even if a team had to dump their finesse goal scoring I think they would be looking to make that kind of upgrade.

Closed Thread