HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Career Playoff Starts by Goaltenders

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 09:06 PM
David Puddy

vCash: 500
Career Playoff Starts by Goaltenders

From ESPNís NHL 2 Night, March 31.

Career Playoff Starts, (Stanley Cups Won)

Eastern Conference
Belfour, TOR, 144 (1)
Brodeur, NJ, 138 (3)
Burke, PHI, 34
Lalime, OTT, 34
Khabibulin, TB, 34
Theodore, MON, 14
DiPietro, NYI, 0
Raycroft, BOS, 0

Western Conference
Joseph, DET, 121
Osgood, STL, 77 (1)
Cloutier, VAN, 22
Nabokov, SJ, 16
Murco, DAL, 12
Kiprusoff, CGY, 2
Aebischer, COL, 0
Vokoun, NSH, 0
Markkanen, EDM, 0

Old
03-31-2004, 09:22 PM
Ratfinklives

Burke is NOT the Flyers playoff goalie. It would be Esche and I believe he has no starts.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:23 PM
detredWINgs

God, Giguere sure did suck in the playoffs last year.

Old
03-31-2004, 10:08 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs
God, Giguere sure did suck in the playoffs last year.

I think stats like this don't matter as much as people make them out to be. I hate talking about a team's chances in the playoffs and then someone will say: "But their goalie has only played 12.1244322 minutes in the playoffs JoseTheo..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" DOESN'T matter. Gigure had no experience if I'm not mistaken before last year... he won the Con Smythe........

It doesnt matter!

Old
03-31-2004, 11:34 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
I think stats like this don't matter as much as people make them out to be...
Gigure had no experience if I'm not mistaken before last year... he won the Con Smythe.
Giguere didn't play so well in the finals. But I do agree with you for the most part about it not mattering. If the goalie doesn't let it get to him, he can perform just fine.

I posted this because I was thinking of Stanley Cup winning goalies that are headed into the playoffs earlier in the day. When I saw the stats on ESPN, I thought it might be of interest to others who may not have seen them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfinklives
Burke is NOT the Flyers playoff goalie. It would be Esche and I believe he has no starts.
Yeah, I just went with what ESPN had put up on their screen. I think Melrose demanded that Burke be listed as the Flyers starter. Philadelphia, like Detroit, has a little bit of a goalie controversy.

Old
03-31-2004, 11:51 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

I think stats like this don't matter as much as people make them out to be....
It doesnt matter!
No?

Tell you what. I'll take the four guys with the most playoff games on that list, and you can have any other four on the list. Assuming that the rest of our squads are relatively even, who do you think would be prohibitive favorites?

Of course, previously unproven goalies and players emerge each playoff season, but your statement casually overlooks the point that while Giguere won an individual award, the team whose goalie ranks second on that list in experience won the Cup (for the third time with him). Likewise, there are four guys on that list with a ton more playoff experience than all others. Three of the four have won Cups and collectively, they have been on six Cup winners.

Save percentage and GAA are actually the stats that don't matter, especially come playoff time. Experience matters. And what matters most is wins. Which is why NJ and Toronto (in that order) enter the playoffs with an edge in goaltending over all other teams.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:04 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:

I think stats like this don't matter as much as people make them out to be. I hate talking about a team's chances in the playoffs and then someone will say: "But their goalie has only played 12.1244322 minutes in the playoffs JoseTheo..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" DOESN'T matter. Gigure had no experience if I'm not mistaken before last year... he won the Con Smythe........

It doesnt matter!
Funny thing is if Boston and Montreal meet in the playoffs, all you Habs fans will be saying you'll win because Raycroft lacks experience.

Old
04-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Vokoun will be this years Giguire

Old
04-01-2004, 03:09 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
No?

Tell you what. I'll take the four guys with the most playoff games on that list, and you can have any other four on the list. Assuming that the rest of our squads are relatively even, who do you think would be prohibitive favorites?
I'm with you except for one of the top 4... Cujo. He's a curse! I'd take anyone on that list instead of him, except for Rick DiPietro and maybe Juicy Rebound Markannen (eventhough he has looked awesome lately). Vokoun is kind of on the borderline. He has played well, but I don't know if he's even remotely big game (he certainly never showed it while in Montreal).

Old
04-01-2004, 03:43 AM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Vokoun will be this years Giguire
My money is on Nabakov.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:28 AM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I'm with you except for one of the top 4... Cujo. He's a curse! I'd take anyone on that list instead of him, except for Rick DiPietro and maybe Juicy Rebound Markannen (eventhough he has looked awesome lately). Vokoun is kind of on the borderline. He has played well, but I don't know if he's even remotely big game (he certainly never showed it while in Montreal).
Ever watched Rick Dipietro play hockey? I can't wait to see him stun people like you, he is a prodigy.

Old
04-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJF
Funny thing is if Boston and Montreal meet in the playoffs, all you Habs fans will be saying you'll win because Raycroft lacks experience.
I don't represent all habs fans here.. my personal opinion on what you said is that it won't matter. Maybe the fact that he is a rookie might get to him...probably not... but him not playing any playoff games won't affect him.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:01 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
No?

Of course, previously unproven goalies and players emerge each playoff season, but your statement casually overlooks the point that while Giguere won an individual award, the team whose goalie ranks second on that list in experience won the Cup (for the third time with him). Likewise, there are four guys on that list with a ton more playoff experience than all others. Three of the four have won Cups and collectively, they have been on six Cup winners.

Save percentage and GAA are actually the stats that don't matter, especially come playoff time. Experience matters. And what matters most is wins. Which is why NJ and Toronto (in that order) enter the playoffs with an edge in goaltending over all other teams.

Personally, I think that people often confuse cause and effect. IMO, these guys have tonnes of playoff experience because they are damn good goalies, and they react well under preasure, and consequently tend to make it much further in the playoffs. Playoff experience tends to be an effect of how good a goaltender is.

What you are argueing is that playoff experience is a cause of them being good, and gives them some kind of huge advantage over younger goalies, which I don't really buy. If this were the case, then goalies would get better the more experience they have, and you wouldn't have goalies like Roy and Brodeur winning the cup so early in their careers.

Sure, I'd take the guys at the top of the list, but that's because they are good enough to obviously go deep into the playoffs year in and year out.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:03 AM
John Flyers Fan

Bob McKenzie's thoughts

http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

and then mine:

This may be the year when having a "playoff proven" goalie means less than ever. Why ?

There are so few of them out there, chances are that if you have a goalie that isn't playoff tested, you'll be playing against a team that also has an untested goalie.

Question marks abound.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
Ever watched Rick Dipietro play hockey? I can't wait to see him stun people like you, he is a prodigy.
DiPietro is one of my favourites.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
No?

Of course, previously unproven goalies and players emerge each playoff season, but your statement casually overlooks the point that while Giguere won an individual award, the team whose goalie ranks second on that list in experience won the Cup (for the third time with him).
Okay good point. But the fact remains that just because a goalie has a load of playoffs experience, it won't give the team as big of an edge as everyone makes it out to be. Curtis Joseph is high on that list.. he was out in four games last year. Ed Belfour is up there... gone first round... Patrick Roy, the guy with the most experience, was gone after the first round as well. So there you go: three guys with alot of experience all gone in the first round.

The point that previously unproven goalies emerge each playoff season is my point. But I also agree with what you're saying because of the goalies who have won the cup in the last five years: Brodeur(2), Roy, Belfour, Hasek.

My problem is that I hate it when people make a big deal out of it and give a team a no shot at winning a series, because the other goalie has played more playoff games.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Then we really don't disagree.

Experience is an advantage this time of the year, without a doubt. That said, I tend to agree with McKenzie's take that a new "Cup" goalie could very well emerge this season.

I mean, it's time!

And Brodeur and Belfour (and Osgood) can't forever be the only guys in the entire league who were a #1 netminder for a Cup winner.

Old
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
DownFromNJ

Actually, Brodeur can

Picture the Devs winning another cup, Belfour retiring, and Osgood not making the playoffs

Closed Thread