HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(post)-GDT; Nashville @ Montreal

Old
12-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Pred303

vCash: 500
(post)-GDT; Nashville @ Montreal

simply because this game deserves to have one..

wow... the second truly memorial game in a row, a mini miracle on ice... this one is the all time greatest comeback game in pred history in my book, even surpassing the wing one where we came from down 3 in the third too... this one, we came from down three with LESS than 8 minutes remaining... frigging unbelievable stuff here... i'm proud to have simply witnessed it

one thing that has to be handed to this team.. is they have heart, you cann't teach that.. most teams would have packed it in trailing 3-0 to start the period... virtually every team would have packed it in when they scored to go back up 3 with 10 minutes to go, that should have been a dagger in the heart..

what an unbelievably wild, strange game... don't know whether to be euphoric over the unlikely win, or to be mad we didn't win this one 8-2 in regualtion.. because we easily could have had been ahead 5-0 after the first (and should have been in fact).. nah, i choose to be euphoric over our most unlikely victory..

on a night where mason was absolutely terrible.. where we couldn't finish a scoring chance for 48 minutes, if our lives had depended on it... where our best defensive pair was by far our worst defensive pair and had helped gift wrapped their first 3 goals... where our "hot" line, doesn't score a point..

where our captain has a mental meltdown and takes two godawful penalties within three minutes in frustration over a game obviously lost.. and where the powder keg that is named scott nichol explodes and gives the by far best pp in the league another 4 minute try... these 8 minutes of pp time all coming with them leading us 3-0 and coasting...

... only in hockey could such a wild finish happen.. i've said it a million times, nothing is as exciting as the last two minutes of a close hockey game...

i could type for an hour about memorial things in this one that should be discussed and thought about... but not tonight, tonight you simply sit back in amazement and enjoy the thrill of such an unlikely, almost unbelievable win..

ah, the thrill of it all

Last edited by Pred303: 12-01-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Paincakes

That was one hell of a game in my opinion. I was ready to stop watching at the end of 2nd thinking we had no chance. I'm glad I didn't thats for sure.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Jarnberg

Man, another nail biter.

Huet made a ton of saves to keep Montreal in front and set them up for an 'easy' third period.

I'm really impressed with our team's ability to come back. Hopefully that carries through the rest of the season (not that I want us to have to come back in games as I'd rather us have the lead ).

Last year we couldn't seem to buy a goal when it was needed.

In the Ottawa game, one of the key factors in the game was our team's ability to answer quickly after an Ottawa strike.

Tonight we kept the pressure up in the third. Alot of teams would be deflated after having so many scoring chances and being turned away. But the team stuck with it. Huge goal by de Vries. At that point, you had to know that we were going to tie it up.

On to Toronto!

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Jarnberg

Oh and, how about that Radek Bonk?

He is money in the third period.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think the leadership change of this team is where you're seeing these games being pulled out. Rather than the quiet, reserved, "okay guys, let's keep at it" tactics of the Timonens, Kariyas, and even Greg Johnsons...you've got youthful exuberance and firebelly from Legwand, Radulov, Erat...leadership by committee with some veteran input from guys like Arnott and Gelinas. The passive bug that haunted this team over the past two years...that saw us bounced with little outcry in the first round for two straight years to the Sharks...I think it's truly gone. This team is the grittiest, heartiest team we've ever had...and we've got talent to go with it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 11:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Oh and, how about that Radek Bonk?

He is money in the third period.
For all the smarmy comments made about him in Montreal, I loved the glass-slap after he tied the game.

Old
12-02-2007, 12:22 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
For all the smarmy comments made about him in Montreal, I loved the glass-slap after he tied the game.
did they try and boo him tonight? didn't get to see the game

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blicemj View Post
did they try and boo him tonight? didn't get to see the game
They booed any time his name was mentioned, REALLY booed when he scored the goal,and booed him when he came up for the shootout.

Funny, for all the "Radek Bonk of all people' talk, his 10 goals put him only 2 behind team-leading Alex Kovalev...with much less icetime.

Old
12-02-2007, 12:34 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
They booed any time his name was mentioned, REALLY booed when he scored the goal,and booed him when he came up for the shootout.

Funny, for all the "Radek Bonk of all people' talk, his 10 goals put him only 2 behind team-leading Alex Kovalev...with much less icetime.
from the games i've watched, bonk looks like he fits in well there

it's funny, a player leaving montreal can't win, if it's their choice or not to leave, they get booed

even though he didn't put up a lot of points for us, he was a great two-way player and made the most of his checking role

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 12:56 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I've always liked Bonk and thought it was one of the best signings the team has made in years when they brought him in this year. His solid 2 way play has helped the team and he's been getting timely goals to boot. Awesome

Oh and Testify, how was seeing the game in person?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 03:03 AM
JussiM

Hell of a game!

Because for a some reason I just wasn't feeling sleepy I decided to follow this game live. Needless to say I was close to giving up after two periods, it was 4 am here after all! Glad I did stick around. And now I'm waiting for a video download... will be so much better to actually see a game like this.

Oh, and I was following the GDT thread on Montreal's board until it got a bit too irritating.. But at some point it got entertaining again.

Last edited by JussiM: 12-02-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Typos
JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 04:13 AM
PeterAngelo
Adopt-a-stray today!

wow what a way to be greeted at home after a long, hard stinking hot day. My only regret is not being able to hear the radio feed live, would have been a hell of a comeback to see/hear live! Go preds! what a terrific way to start december!

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 07:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We dominated that game and deserved the win, Montreal should thank Mason for the point.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
We dominated that game and deserved the win, Montreal should thank Mason for the point.
Agreed. Heck of a game. I got home from my White Coat Ceremony, to see the Preds down 3-0. I left the game on.....and I was rewarded. This team fits Trotz's system like a glove. If our pp worked at all, this would be the best TEAM we have fielded in awhile (not collection of talent).

12-02-2007, 09:09 AM
handtrick

Quote:
I think the leadership change of this team is where you're seeing these games being pulled out. Rather than the quiet, reserved, "okay guys, let's keep at it" tactics of the Timonens, Kariyas, and even Greg Johnsons...you've got youthful exuberance and firebelly from Legwand, Radulov, Erat...leadership by committee with some veteran input from guys like Arnott and Gelinas. The passive bug that haunted this team over the past two years...that saw us bounced with little outcry in the first round for two straight years to the Sharks...I think it's truly gone. This team is the grittiest, heartiest team we've ever had...and we've got talent to go with it.
Agreed.

Trotz said after the game that both Mason and Ellis were sick...could have explained Mason's lack of focus with those two goals. The fact that Ellis was sick too....just goes to show how mentally tough the kid is and what a find he has been for us this year.

The key to our game is our relentless forecheck. This team's identity centers around it and is one of the reasons why this team has been so resilient. When a team gets a lead on us and goes into a shell....our forecheck keeps us playing in their end.....such as the 20-4 shots in the 3rd period. We also don't seem to go into a shell ourselves when we have a lead, like last year.

The other identity of this team is character. The past two years we had more talent, no doubt, but the heart just wasn't there. These guys really appear to be playing together for eachother instead of as a bunch of individuals. Did it come from that awful 6 game losing streak to start the year.....did it come from their team building with the NightStalkers.....or is it simply there is much more character in the room when you replace Kariya, Hartnell, Timonen, and Vokoun with Bonk, Gelinas, Ortmeyer, and Ellis........maybe a little of everything.

If we make it into the Playoffs, which is still a big if as even as the Western Conference, I like this team's chances to advance much better than the last two 100 point teams, no matter what seed we are. I just hope Poile doesn't mess up the chemistry with any additions or if Sullivan is able to return that we don't think we can play a different way and still be successful.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 11:48 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50

One thing has become stone cold clear lately, this team must retain David Legwand for many years to come. He has been great with the puck and quitely does his job without much praise. It was awesome to see him take the franchise record for point scoring with that awesome determination goal last night.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 11:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
One thing has become stone cold clear lately, this team must retain David Legwand for many years to come. He has been great with the puck and quitely does his job without much praise. It was awesome to see him take the franchise record for point scoring with that awesome determination goal last night.
I think he'll have a new deal before the year ends, and hopefully Dumont along with him.

Over the past two seasons, he's evolved into not only one of the best shut-down centers in the league...but he's rounding his offensive instincts into it as well. He's gone about things in a reverse order than we had imagined, but he's finally emerging as the player we thought he could be. He may never be a 50 goal center...but I'll take 25-30 goals a year from a guy who also closes down opposing 5 on 3's and shadows the best centers in the game.

Old
12-02-2007, 01:30 PM
lstcyr

"Know something? The better team from start to finish won last night, despite trailing badly in the game."

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...646f8f&k=22510

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 04:07 PM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Agreed.

Trotz said after the game that both Mason and Ellis were sick...could have explained Mason's lack of focus with those two goals. The fact that Ellis was sick too....just goes to show how mentally tough the kid is and what a find he has been for us this year.

The key to our game is our relentless forecheck. This team's identity centers around it and is one of the reasons why this team has been so resilient. When a team gets a lead on us and goes into a shell....our forecheck keeps us playing in their end.....such as the 20-4 shots in the 3rd period. We also don't seem to go into a shell ourselves when we have a lead, like last year.

The other identity of this team is character. The past two years we had more talent, no doubt, but the heart just wasn't there. These guys really appear to be playing together for eachother instead of as a bunch of individuals. Did it come from that awful 6 game losing streak to start the year.....did it come from their team building with the NightStalkers.....or is it simply there is much more character in the room when you replace Kariya, Hartnell, Timonen, and Vokoun with Bonk, Gelinas, Ortmeyer, and Ellis........maybe a little of everything.

If we make it into the Playoffs, which is still a big if as even as the Western Conference, I like this team's chances to advance much better than the last two 100 point teams, no matter what seed we are. I just hope Poile doesn't mess up the chemistry with any additions or if Sullivan is able to return that we don't think we can play a different way and still be successful.
This is DEAD ON!!!

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Nords fan

I went to this game, and the Preds really deserved the win. They worked really hard from the beginning of the game and didn't stop working even though the score was 4-1 with less than 10 minutes to play in the 3rd, and it paid off. Bonk's tying goal in the last minute of the 3rd, priceless! And solid job by Ortmeyer, very good on the PK and had and created scoring opportunities, glad he scored yesterday even though the lucky rebound helped him.

The Habs got lucky to get away with a point, if it wasn't Cristobal Huet who was excellent in the first 50 minutes and Mason being very weak, the Preds would have gotten away with the win way easier than they got yesterday.

So a great game by the Nashville Predators yesterday, hopefully they will complete the eastern canadian sweep tuesday.

Go Preds go!

Nords fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
"Know something? The better team from start to finish won last night, despite trailing badly in the game."

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...646f8f&k=22510
I concur.

I perused the Habs message board after the game and most of the posters seemed to agree that the better team won last night.Good game.

Statesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Another aspect of the game that I really appreciated was Trotzy's coaching strategy. Im so glad that he was quicker than usual to pull Mason.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 02:53 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Wow, great job by the Preds.

I was really worried that we would get into penalty trouble and let them score but so proud of the PK working great to deny them any PPGs.

I like when Arnott gets mad, he plays harder and the rest of the team picks up and gets more determined.

We should have been ahead by a at least 2 or 3 in the first period but Huet gave them the lead. After the second period and he was still playing well I thought it was going to be one of those nights where nothing goes in no matter how many shots we take. But we got that one little break we needed and Jed Ortmeyer capitalized on it.

When we made it 4-3 I was so mad that we could have been tied if not for allowing that stupid 4th goal. But then...BONK!!!!!!!!!

And a great job by Ellis in the shootout. Koivu put a great move on him but he made 2 other great stops. And great shots by Bonk and Erat!

I know that I have changed to an Ortmeyer avatar this year, but Legwand is still my favorite and it's great to see him finally get that record. I wish he would have done it against Detroit, but his goal and assists here were so much more crucial in this game. Congrats to Legwand, he's really become a great player for the Predators!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Testify

Man o man!!!! I wont resume the game and the aspects of it, because u guys can describe it much better than me in english

I will start tho, by saying it was my 1st NHL game live since playoffs '94 when I went to see Nordiques vs Montreal in Quebec.

I loved the atmosphere in the Bell Center even tho I was wearing my mustard jersey

I would like to point out players that impressed me!! Arnott ( man he is big and when he got pissed off in the 3rd period after his 2 penalties, the team really rallied up and the comeback started from there ).

Weber is also a beast! He totally laid smolinski ( I think ) in the first. To tell you, my gf went OMG

And I dont have to tell you that Radulov impressed me That guy was everywhere in the 3rd

Now im just sad that I will have to wait awhile to see the preds again, even tho Im maybe planning to go to Boston to see the game in january.

U guys are lucky to have the preds so close to your home, I just hope you appreciate it

GREAT GAME!

Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testify View Post
Man o man!!!! I wont resume the game and the aspects of it, because u guys can describe it much better than me in english

I will start tho, by saying it was my 1st NHL game live since playoffs '94 when I went to see Nordiques vs Montreal in Quebec.

I loved the atmosphere in the Bell Center even tho I was wearing my mustard jersey

I would like to point out players that impressed me!! Arnott ( man he is big and when he got pissed off in the 3rd period after his 2 penalties, the team really rallied up and the comeback started from there ).

Weber is also a beast! He totally laid smolinski ( I think ) in the first. To tell you, my gf went OMG

And I dont have to tell you that Radulov impressed me That guy was everywhere in the 3rd

Now im just sad that I will have to wait awhile to see the preds again, even tho Im maybe planning to go to Boston to see the game in january.

U guys are lucky to have the preds so close to your home, I just hope you appreciate it

GREAT GAME!
remember they're changing the schedule for next year (pre-lockout style) and maybe again the following year to go back to the 84 game schedule ... http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=224045&hubname=nhl
Quote:
But a model that's already gaining steam possibly in time for the 2009-10 season is the 84-game concept put forward by the Detroit Red Wings. It features 30 games against teams from the other conference - a home-and-home. It's a proposal that has also caught the eye of new NHL Players' Association executive director Paul Kelly.

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote