HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who Will Win the STANLEY CUP???

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2004, 02:05 AM
kira

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
My Wings over anybody...

Old
03-31-2004, 02:15 AM
Oilers Hockey

Cup threats from the West: Wings/Av's
East: Sens/Flyers

I have a feeling we're going to see a Sharks/Lightning final...

As for the standings now I would say:

Wings in 7
Sharks in 4
Av's in 4
Canucks in 6

Bolts in 6
Habs in 7
Flyers in 5
Sens in 7

Wings in 6
Sharks in 7

Bolts in 7
Sens in 5

Wings in 6

Sens in 4

Finals: ???

Old
03-31-2004, 03:35 AM
ahmon

no doubt imo it will be a team from the west.. i see a dog fight in east .. and a lot of upsets in west.. both detroit and colorado will be gone by round 1.. Go Vancouver Go

Old
03-31-2004, 03:44 AM
VanCanuck

OTTAWA SENATORS

Old
03-31-2004, 03:48 AM
chicpea*

Well, I'm going with Habs over the Canucks in the finals. It's logical, it makes sense, and it's cost effective. We all win this way guys.

Old
03-31-2004, 09:41 AM
AK-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreim
There are too many factors in deciding a winner, but My guess is Detroit will come out of the west. No other team possesses the tools that the Wings display.

As for the east, there are 5 teams that could win it IMO.

Possible Eastern conference foes:

Tampa: Their defense can hold fort and makie it easy on the goalies, and their offense can put up enough goals to provide cushion. The question mark falls on the goaltending. If either Khabibulin or Grahame chokes, then they will be hitting the greens quite early.

Ottawa: Same situation as Tampa with more offense and less defense. Lalime will be relied upon more heavily, so his play will dictate whether they are in or out.

Toronto: They have the tools to make it, but If they take costly penalties or end up in a physically excruciating series, they won't last.

New Jersey: What can I say, they are the defending champs, but Stevens doesn't return, they likely won't make it to the conference finals. Count on either Hrdina and Kozlov to somehow play out of their minds. Lamerellio's oddball trades always seem to add up in the postseason.*

* See Grant Marshall.

Boston: The only way Boston might win the cup is if Raycroft goes on a miracle run similar to Giguere's. Unlike Anaheim, they have the tools in front of him to finish the job. He's only a rookie, so I woudn't count on too much out of him. Since goaltending is the alpha and the omega in the postseason, that may be too much pressure for young Raycroft to handle (then again, maybe not).

Teams in the east that don't have a shot (Barring miracles):

NY Islanders. They are lead in scoring by a rookie, and they are lacking in the leadership department. DiPietro's lack of playoff experience is another factor that should be taken into consideration.

Philadelphia: They are perennial choke artists in the playoffs. Esche might have a nervous breakdown. They don't have much depth on defense either. They traded it away (therien and weinrich).

Montreal: They don't have a strong enough team in front of Theodore. Their offense looks pretty good, but defense is a huge void.

Optimistically: Tampa over Detroit in a thriller
Realistically: Detroit over Tampa

That void, speaking of montreal, includes Markov, Souray, Brisebois, Rivet, Quintal, Bouillon and Komisarek. That D is underated and shouldn't be dissed.......

Old
03-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Toronto finally breaks the curse of 1967 and Ballard, defeating Detroit in a classic 7-game showdown between two original-6 rivals.

Old
03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
jstreim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-47
That void, speaking of montreal, includes Markov, Souray, Brisebois, Rivet, Quintal, Bouillon and Komisarek. That D is underated and shouldn't be dissed.......

I guess I was a little hard on Montreal. They are a good defensive team, I just got caught up in their averageness. They have nobody spectacular, but they get they get the job done. You have to admit that Theodore bails them out on plenty of occasions, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinMaker
If Nylander get's hurt, Bergeron or Green replaces him. Either can play center. If anything, Green takes the draws and Bergeron moves to the slot after (or just stays at wing). What's the issue? Have you watched either play? Green excelled over the last month when he was bumped to the second line. And Bergeron is the real deal. The kid is a rock with a craft, intelligence and and terrific hockey sense.
In fact, I have watched the Bruins on occasion. I normally get to see one game a week, hardly making me an expert, but I at least know what I am talking about. Green, with 4 goals and an assist in 11 games is not excelling at all. His play was average to say the most.
Assuming the top-2 lines for the post season are:

Rolston-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Nylander-Knuble

If one of these players goes down, the only player that can fill in and produce is Bergeron. Their next two candidates are PJ Axelsson and Travis Green, two defensive minded players. Marty Lapointe may be good for the reserves, but most of his points came on the power play. I wasn't being too clear with my reasoning. They have very little scoring line depth. Their checking line depth is average at best since guys like Donato and Macdonald won't be effective logging 3rd line ice time. With a healthy team, they have Bergeron or Green centering the 3rd line presumably with Lapointe and Axelsson. This leaves a 4th line with either Green or Bergeron centering Zamuner and Donato. Doull, Hilbert, and Macdonald being the scratches I guess.

As for Raycroft, I stick with my argument that since he is a rookie, he has never experienced the kind of pressure number one goalies face in the playoffs. His ability to handle pressure in the regular season is meaninless when the post-season starts. We will see how he reacts in the first round.

Last edited by jstreim: 03-31-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old
03-31-2004, 03:57 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
I just love it how these "experts" think they know everything about all these teams. They'd be much better off letting the people who follow those teams closely speak for them instead...
Honestly.

Old
03-31-2004, 04:47 PM
tiredman

Tampa Bay over San Jose

Old
04-01-2004, 04:59 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreim
In fact, I have watched the Bruins on occasion. I normally get to see one game a week, hardly making me an expert, but I at least know what I am talking about. Green, with 4 goals and an assist in 11 games is not excelling at all. His play was average to say the most.
Assuming the top-2 lines for the post season are:

Rolston-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Nylander-Knuble

If one of these players goes down, the only player that can fill in and produce is Bergeron. Their next two candidates are PJ Axelsson and Travis Green, two defensive minded players. Marty Lapointe may be good for the reserves, but most of his points came on the power play. I wasn't being too clear with my reasoning. They have very little scoring line depth. Their checking line depth is average at best since guys like Donato and Macdonald won't be effective logging 3rd line ice time. With a healthy team, they have Bergeron or Green centering the 3rd line presumably with Lapointe and Axelsson. This leaves a 4th line with either Green or Bergeron centering Zamuner and Donato. Doull, Hilbert, and Macdonald being the scratches I guess.

As for Raycroft, I stick with my argument that since he is a rookie, he has never experienced the kind of pressure number one goalies face in the playoffs. His ability to handle pressure in the regular season is meaninless when the post-season starts. We will see how he reacts in the first round.
Dude, respectfully, you don't know what you are talking about.

For one, when Bergeron went down with an injury, Travis Green stepped onto the second line and played beyond expectations. He scored BOTH goals in an important division game vs Toronto (3/16), then went on to score key goals against Tampa Bay and Ottowa. Read up on it, because he has played very well.

Two, you have the lines all wrong. Rolston has never played LW on the top line. They are as follows:

Knuble-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Nylander-Bergeron
Axelsson-Rolston-Lapointe
Donato-Green-Zamuner

Extras: Grosek, McDonald, Doull, Hilbert

There's three good scoring lines there. The top line is among the best in hockey. It may not be THE best, but it ain't too far away either. The second line is yet to be proven, but indications are so far that the chemistry and skill are excellent. Rolston's line has been asked to do more checking this season, and thus has been playing a bit more defensive hockey than last. Most people would probably say that is one of the better 3rd lines in hockey, particularly because it's been together for 2+ seasons.

Now that you have clarified, to a degree, I can see your point about scoring depth. But in reality, if a player equivalent to Samsonov, Murray, Nylander etc goes down on most teams, they aren't gonna have a equitable player to fill in. The good news for the Bruins is that someone like Green plays center and wing, and has shown his ability to fit in well enough on the second line. While that may not give you the finisher you want, with Samsonov and Bergeron as your wingers, you're not doing too bad. Sure it would be nice to have a little more the scoring depth, but right now there are three good lines that stack up pretty well.

As for Raycroft, I understand where you are coming from. Many people are saying the same thing, which is fine. After years of being around hockey, I have no doubt he will come through. Still, like you said, we will see what happens when the time comes. I just think there are going to be a LOT of people proven wrong.

Old
04-01-2004, 05:32 AM
orcatown

Senators over San Jose. Chara wins Conn Smythe

Old
04-01-2004, 07:09 AM
PecaFan

For the playoffs, I'm running a prediction contest. It's quite a bit different than the usual "pick who'll win each series", essentially what you do is put down a certain number of points towards teams that you feel will go the furthest.

There's tons of room for strategy, and movement in the standings as teams are eliminated or move on.

No fees, no prizes, just the glory of beating everyone else on HF.

You can enter any time from now until the playoffs actually start. I'm guessing that's going to be Wednesday, April 7th, but if that's wrong the deadline will move backwards or forwards as necessary.

Full details on my webpage.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Timmy1973

The way these two teams are playing right now, I don't see the Lightning beating the Islanders in round 1. I'd much rather see the Canadiens than Isles if I'm the Bolts. Tampa has the top 6-7 forward talent, but Jay Feaster hasn't done the right moves on the lower lines for this team to be serious contender in my opinion. They have hard workers but I don't think they have enough of the size + skill guys to get it done.
Not to sound like a broken record, but I would have to assume Detroit comes out of the west and will take down either Ottawa or the Bruins from the east.

Old
04-01-2004, 08:25 AM
richardn

Leafs VS Wings

Leafs win 4 games to 2.

:gman: :gman:

Old
04-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Charge_Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Leafs VS Wings

Leafs win 4 games to 2.

:gman: :gman:
yeah man, I'll be the dancing guy on the Left, you can be on the right!

I can see the celebration now...

Mats Sundin=
Tie Domi=
Gary Roberts=
Brian Leetch= :win

Me= :pizza:

Old
04-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Am I the only one that already hate these new smilies?

Old
04-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Takeo

Not Toronto, Philly, or Colorado.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Not Toronto, Philly, or Colorado.
Amen.

Old
04-01-2004, 09:25 AM
50 Mission Cap

I think if Toronto won the Cup, these boards would either explode, or become a ghost town.

Toronto vs. Calgary

Toronto 4-3

Old
04-01-2004, 09:26 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Leafs Will Prevail!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Le Golie

Detroit over Flyers in 6.

Take it to the bank for the upcomming playoff draft weekend.

Closed Thread